Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain?

+18
izzy
Lord Awesome
Bear
Sushi Master
punkfusion1992
Alsteinenburg
Gil
hrealmadrid
Raptorgunner
EarlyPrototype
la_liga1
adnyana179
RealGunner
Doc
The Franchise
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Mr Nick09
teamanarchy
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain?

Post by izzy Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:44 pm

Sushi Master wrote:
Well, I'll give credit to Valencia and the other "big" sides. They at least try. My point is that it doesn't just lie on you, but on every other team. The smaller teams show up fielding bench squads FFS. You never see any upsets like in Bundesliga, Serie A or the Premier, where smaller sides can and frequently do beat the giants. It's just, "oh, Messi scored 3 and Ronaldo 4, trololol".

Name 5 matches where that happened? Suspect

izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain?

Post by Sushi Master Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:47 pm

Yeah, but they always flopped. Not so anymore, they're the new Brazil.

I mean the possession based philosophy. Please don't compare Latin American styles to that boring crap Very Happy Yes, it works, but I'm not a fan.

Poor Dutch... they've had it even worse than Spain. I don't see any new wave of talents, either. If they were gonna win the WC it was with that squad.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:48 pm

izzy26 wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:
Well, I'll give credit to Valencia and the other "big" sides. They at least try. My point is that it doesn't just lie on you, but on every other team. The smaller teams show up fielding bench squads FFS. You never see any upsets like in Bundesliga, Serie A or the Premier, where smaller sides can and frequently do beat the giants. It's just, "oh, Messi scored 3 and Ronaldo 4, trololol".

This is from what I heard, I can't recall, but La Liga fans should clarify. Even if I'm wrong, the point still stands: most teams give up upon facing Madrid or Barca.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Alsteinenburg Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:51 pm

The winning mentality argument does make a fair point.

Teams lower down in La Liga just don't have any belief in themselves that they can beat either Barcelona or Real Madrid. There is such a gulf in not only class but presence that unfortunately teams are almost in awe of both Barcelona and Real Madrid.

In the Premier League there used to be a similar problem, but not as heightened as in La Liga at present. Man United and Arsenal for a long while used to dominate and would ease past teams lower down the pecking order. However with such a boom in T.V. rights, especially in the Premier League, teams have been able to shorten the gap in terms of quality being bought as well as teams no longer fear the likes of Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. They just go for it and the teams that do so are rewarded.

Unfortunately for similar teams in La Liga, playing an attacking game against Barcelona or Real Madrid rarely pays off such is the gulf in class.
Alsteinenburg
Alsteinenburg
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:52 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:

No, you and the rest of La Liga lack the mentality to beat them on top of that.

You lose to average teams that if you had a winning mentality you would'nt do and another thing beating Madrid or Barca at half time and beating them at full time is two TOTALLY different things.

Fact of the matter is whether you want to hear it or not, outside of Barca and Madrid teams in spain have loser mentality's.

We lose to average teams because we're closer to their abilities and thus we lose some.

Barca & Madrid would make any league look like La Liga, atm. This, I swear to you.

Maybe Serie A have a chance to actually beat Barca as their style is the most effective against them. Too bad they get eliminated by the Northerners before they get to La Liga sides.

Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain? - Page 2 KantoStarters1

Squrtle = Serie A
Bulbasaur = EPL
Charmander = La Liga

(And just for fun)
Bundesliga= Pikuchu
Ligue 1= Pidgey
(fck yeah)

I rest my case.

Last edited by Lord Hispano on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:52 pm

no chance in hell..most of the real madrid and barcelona players are relatively young and i think they'll continue to dominate la liga and europe for years to come until an era comes to an end..
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:54 pm

Sushi Master wrote:
izzy26 wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:

This is from what I heard, I can't recall, but La Liga fans should clarify. Even if I'm wrong, the point still stands: most teams give up upon facing Madrid or Barca.

From who exactly? :?:

Or most teams are outclassed by Barca and Madrid. I can name several games where Barca and Madrid did not have it their own way as you are suggesting.
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Sushi Master wrote:Yeah, but they always flopped. Not so anymore, they're the new Brazil.

I mean the possession based philosophy. Please don't compare Latin American styles to that boring crap Very Happy Yes, it works, but I'm not a fan.

Poor Dutch... they've had it even worse than Spain. I don't see any new wave of talents, either. If they were gonna win the WC it was with that squad.

Yeah dude, that philosphy's been all over Latin America. The team who keeps the ball longer was usually always the winner. Laughing It's also the team that plys better even if they lose (That's so Xavi, btw). Laughing

Seriously though, it's like I was born to counter that philosophy. What a Face
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:08 pm

izzy26 wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:
izzy26 wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:

From who exactly? :?:

Or most teams are outclassed by Barca and Madrid. I can name several games where Barca and Madrid did not have it their own way as you are suggesting.
Friends of mine who are Barca fans or watch La Liga. Not really reliable sources, I know.

Yeah, there are a few games where they were given trouble, but 90 points and a 21 point gap from 3rd place? And then a 9 point gap to 4th? Laughing Come on.

Lord Hispano wrote:Yeah dude, that philosphy's been all over Latin America. The team who keeps the ball longer was usually always the winner. Laughing It's also the team that plys better even if they lose (That's so Xavi, btw). Laughing

Seriously though, it's like I was born to counter that philosophy. What a Face
Sure, we play possession football here, but we don't crowd the midfield and then go back and side passing for half the game!
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:11 pm

[quote="Sushi Master"]
Friends of mine who are Barca fans or watch La Liga. Not really reliable sources, I know.

Yeah, there are a few games where they were given trouble, but 90 points and a 21 point gap from 3rd place? And then a 9 point gap to 4th? Laughing Come on.

I understand your point. The gap is shocking. But teams do try and beat Barca and Madrid it's just gap in class is huge.
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by teamanarchy Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:36 pm

I agree that it isn't an overnight process. But hey, City seems to have used their money to buy a bit of success... And I don't think that they even did it well... 5 years minimum for malaga...
If only some genius with a wallet bought out valencia and stripped them of their debt...
teamanarchy
teamanarchy
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ks16152913

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:44 pm

Lord Hispano wrote:
Immaculate_Mole wrote:

No, you and the rest of La Liga lack the mentality to beat them on top of that.

You lose to average teams that if you had a winning mentality you would'nt do and another thing beating Madrid or Barca at half time and beating them at full time is two TOTALLY different things.

Fact of the matter is whether you want to hear it or not, outside of Barca and Madrid teams in spain have loser mentality's.

We lose to average teams because we're closer to their abilities and thus we lose some.

Barca & Madrid would make any league look like La Liga, atm. This, I swear to you.

Maybe Serie A have a chance to actually beat Barca as their style is the most effective against them. Too bad they get eliminated by the Northerners before they get to La Liga sides.

Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain? - Page 2 KantoStarters1

Squrtle = Serie A
Bulbasaur = EPL
Charmander = La Liga

(And just for fun)
Bundesliga= Pikuchu
Ligue 1= Pidgey
(fck yeah)

I rest my case.

Brasileirão:

Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain? - Page 2 006Charizard
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sunderland

Back to top Go down

Post by S32TABLANCA Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:49 pm

I'll go ahead and say yes, kind of.

If LFP actually get their act together and improve their organisation, then reform television rights along with strengthening the La Liga brand worldwide, thats already a lot of money going to the smaller clubs. And the ones like Valencia, Villareal, Atletico (yes, Patetico) and now Malaga have the talent that could lead to success. With some investment, some reforms, some good buys, good youngsters, better mentality and luck, I'm not saying Malaga will win the league but teams such as Valencia could challenge the top 2 in 5 years if they get their economic situation fixed. IMO.
S32TABLANCA
S32TABLANCA
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:50 pm

About time we stopped seeing an 100 point gap between 2nd and third.

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2