Why are CL 3rd place finishers allowed to participate in EL? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Why are CL 3rd place finishers allowed to participate in EL?

+6
sportsczy
stevieg8
Kuru
Great Leader Sprucenuce
The Franchise
Ausi90
10 posters

Go down

Why are CL 3rd place finishers allowed to participate in EL? Empty Why are CL 3rd place finishers allowed to participate in EL?

Post by Ausi90 Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:06 am

Benfica and Chelsea were both losers in the Champions League yet they get a 2nd chance to win a trophy. I think this is one of the main reason why Europa League has no prestige, and often is called ''the losers'' cup, because teams who can't even get past groupstage in CL gets to play in this. Besides is it really fair to the other clubs who qualifyied for the tournament through their league position that other teams just get a 2nd chance?

I don't really understand why the 3rd placed teams in CL groupstage gets to play Europa League, that is an insult to this competition, if u think about it.

Do you think UEFA should change it?

Ausi90
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Why are CL 3rd place finishers allowed to participate in EL? Empty Re: Why are CL 3rd place finishers allowed to participate in EL?

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:10 am

Gives the competition a higher standard and the games have more quality.

You really want to see Basel, Newcastle, Rubin and Fenebache?
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Why are CL 3rd place finishers allowed to participate in EL? Empty Re: Why are CL 3rd place finishers allowed to participate in EL?

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:15 am

The Franchise wrote:Gives the competition a higher standard and the games have more quality.

I do Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:18 am

Laughing

Sorry
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuru Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:19 am

It'll be unfair for the third placed team to end his European journey early after they fought hard to get a league position that qualify to CL.
Kuru
Kuru
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausi90 Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:08 am

Kuru wrote:It'll be unfair for the third placed team to end his European journey early after they fought hard to get a league position that qualify to CL.
yeah but unfair for minows like Basel that their only chance of glory in European level will be prevented by giants like Chelsea. Not fair imo.

Ausi90
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:13 am

Tbf Basel dropped out from CL as well..... they were knocked out in the CL qualifiers.

I believe we were the only one who didn't drop down from the CL in some manner.

I personally think its unfair but what's done is done.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausi90 Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:20 am

GLS

didn't know about that sorry, but my point about giving minows a chance still stands.

Ausi90
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:37 am

I think it's ridiculous. If you participate in a competition and fail to qualify, you should be out. You shouldn't get a consolation prize. Fans will never take the EL seriously if it remains a "second chance" trophy. At least with the lower quality teams, it'll be a lower quality trophy - but a trophy nonetheless. As it stands, it feels like the little league "EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY!!!!1!1111!!!" system.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:59 am

The reason is money. The most followed teams play in CL for the most part. You can't have nobodies in the final stages of a trophy tournament... maybe footy junkies would watch, but the casual fans wouldn't. The media guys are not trying to capture the junkies, but the casual fans.

When CL expanded so much in terms of teams, the other European competitions got killed basically. This is a flawed way of trying to get people interested.

Personally, i think CL should only be the top 2 teams of all the leagues. It went from champions only to as up to 4 per league ffs.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:21 am

The Franchise wrote:Gives the competition a higher standard and the games have more quality.

Of course I want to see Basel :coffee:

Ausi90 wrote:yeah but unfair for minows like Basel that their only chance of glory in European level will be prevented by giants like Chelsea. Not fair imo.
This has still to be seen :morecoffee:
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:30 am

Yeh, I'd watch the EL if it had better teams. However if say Malaga/Dortmund was a Europa league match, I probably wouldn't have watched it, simply because it's the EL.

In terms of 3rd placed teams from the CL dropping into the EL, what's wrong with it? All those teams fit into the EL, it's not like there's problems fitting them in?

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:32 am

rwo power wrote:

Of course I want to see Basel :coffee:

:

Sorry again lol

But im sure you would like to see Basel and Sammer making saves from great opponants like Benfica and Chelsea have, compared to Rubin and Amobi of Newcastle...they might not even hit the target.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:33 am

I'm sure Shola would have no problem slotting a penalty past Sommer :coffee:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:35 am

stevieg8 wrote:I think it's ridiculous. If you participate in a competition and fail to qualify, you should be out. You shouldn't get a consolation prize. Fans will never take the EL seriously if it remains a "second chance" trophy. At least with the lower quality teams, it'll be a lower quality trophy - but a trophy nonetheless. As it stands, it feels like the little league "EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY!!!!1!1111!!!" system.
It's not everyone gets a trophy, it's "no one watches the EL because it's a competition of second-bests so let's add teams of higher quality there to increase viewership and quality".

BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:36 am

The Franchise wrote:Sorry again lol

But im sure you would like to see Basel and Sammer making saves from great opponants like Benfica and Chelsea have, compared to Rubin and Amobi of Newcastle...they might not even hit the target.
But Rubin have the best LB of the competition Proud
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:49 pm

The Franchise wrote:But im sure you would like to see Basel and Sammer making saves from great opponants like Benfica and Chelsea have, compared to Rubin and Amobi of Newcastle...they might not even hit the target.
I guess seeing Sammer trying to make saves would certainly be an image to behold XD

As for Yann Sommer - well, he already made saves vs Zenit with Hulk, brought ManUtd and Bayern (first leg) into desperation and took care of Spurs. Next stop Chelsea.

Why are CL 3rd place finishers allowed to participate in EL? Yann22
"Me trolling strikers? Hehe..."

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I'm sure Shola would have no problem slotting a penalty past Sommer :coffee:
Well, Newcastle made sure he does not have to prove it. Razz
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by flameas Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:54 pm

nobody would watch it otherwise..
flameas
flameas
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:59 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:I think it's ridiculous. If you participate in a competition and fail to qualify, you should be out. You shouldn't get a consolation prize. Fans will never take the EL seriously if it remains a "second chance" trophy. At least with the lower quality teams, it'll be a lower quality trophy - but a trophy nonetheless. As it stands, it feels like the little league "EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY!!!!1!1111!!!" system.
It's not everyone gets a trophy, it's "no one watches the EL because it's a competition of second-bests so let's add teams of higher quality there to increase viewership and quality".

I understand what the purpose is financially. I was talking about the effects it has on the competitive spirit of the game. There is less reason for people to try and make it far if *losing* is a legitimate way to get into the later rounds of the competition. It reminds me, in a competitive sense, of little league baseball. When you take too much pity on the losers, for any reason, it makes everyone care less.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:14 pm

I really doubt any CL team would decide to go on losing to get the 3rd place in the CL groups. It is too easy to land as number four and miss out on everything.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down