Albiceleste
RealGunner
McAgger
Die Borussen
Onyx
59 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

The official Modric appreciation thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The official Modric appreciation thread

Post by Doc Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:26 pm

El Gunner wrote:is he a bigger Madrid legend than CR7?

Nope, he is not. Like at all. If you asked me though, I'll put Modric in that tier 1 of legends alongside Ronaldo and his ilk but I sense he'll be considered tier 2 by most Madrid fans.

Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

The official Modric appreciation thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The official Modric appreciation thread

Post by The Madrid One Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:30 pm

He's as much of a legend but not as much of an icon, clearly.

From what I've gathered, Spanish Madrid fans (from Spain) and football tacticos in a lot of cases appreciate Modric more than Ronaldo.

He's in the all time Madrid starting 11.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:03 pm

Harmonica wrote:Before Modric Real won Liga and Copa with Cronaldo.
With both Liga, Copa and 4x CL.
After Cronaldo 3x Liga, Copa and 2x CL.

my thoughts too, i think he should hold a bigger space in Madridistas hearts than CR7
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:13 pm

Clearly a bigger legend.

Ronaldo was in it for himself, always felt mercenary-like in his behavior while Modric inhabits everything great about this club while also being an all time player.

Being a bigger legend isn’t about who was better.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:30 pm

El Gunner wrote:
Harmonica wrote:Before Modric Real won Liga and Copa with Cronaldo.
With both Liga, Copa and 4x CL.
After Cronaldo 3x Liga, Copa and 2x CL.

my thoughts too, i think he should hold a bigger space in Madridistas hearts than CR7

They won't for the obvious reasons as there would be a section who loves Ronaldo more and another section who loves Modric more. Really depends.

To me though, both are in that tier 1 legendary status and one isn't more legendary than the other as what they gave to the club is/was incredible.

Di Stefano is still the greatest for me though. Without him, this is a moot discussion.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:32 pm

Cristiano defined his madrid era, just like Di Stefano defined his. Guys like Modric are going to be those players who you say "people need to talk about them more" or "people who don't know football don't appreciate them". Once you're defined in such a way, as much a compliment as some consider that, then a ceiling has been placed on your status.

It doesn't mean he isn't great. Same goes for Kroos; for me, you can't mention Modric without Kroos. The better debate might be who was the better one between them. I've always said Kroos, and honestly I love the way he has bowed out of the game. A lot of athletes don't know when to call it quits. Leave at the top.
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:34 am

both great players, and i'm not trying to tear one down to uplift the other, but i want us to get very honest about this... who was more integral to Madrid's success when Ronaldo was there? Modric or Ronaldo? i believe Modric was the most important piece and out of all the great players that 2014 - 2018 Madrid team had, he deserves the most praise for their success.

Ronaldo is high up that list too, and like  @titosantill said Ronaldo in the larger mediasphere will always be considered the bigger "icon/legend" because of his media hype around him, his flashiness, his personality, and the media propagating an entire GOAT debate alongside Messi for him.

But as football purists, i want us to push all of that aside, and continue to push the true narratives onto the younger generations so that they never die
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Clutch Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:25 am

Without CR7 we definitely don't win a few UCL due to the fact of him being are only consistent goal threat, especially 17/18 season which is when modric won the balon d'or ironically

Clutch
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:39 am

Ronaldo will go down as one of the best players ever. I know he wasn't a very likeable character but come on Ronaldo was monstrous. I love Modric, he was part of the best midfield in our entire history. All of Modric, Casemiro and Kroos were equally important. Modric was more pleasing on the eye definitely. The catalyst to all our CL wins is actually Casemiro. Without him we don't win as many CLs as we did. We have always been a team, but Ronaldo as a footballer....my word, that guy was crazy good
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:47 am

Clutch wrote:Without CR7 we definitely don't win a few UCL due to the fact of him being are only consistent goal threat, especially 17/18 season which is when modric won the balon d'or ironically
i disagree
i think what post-Ronaldo Real Madrid proved was that Ronaldo was more a luxury player than an absolute necessity (which is what i think Modric was to that team)... they could've replaced those goals with a number of competent forwards
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:04 am

There were so many crucial games that we were losing or in danger of loosing and it was Ronaldo or Ramos that dug a little deeper to make something happened. Modric was great as well but in the spirit of that never give up, we are known for, it was always either Ronaldo or Ramos who won those games for us.

This Flo version 2 has so many legends that comparisons are hard,

You have Ramos, possibly Pepe, Marcelo, Carvajal, Castillas, Courtios, Modric, Kroos, possibly Casemiro (I’m not convinced as Hala seems to be), Xabi Alonso, Ronaldo, Benzema and potential in younger generation; Vinicius, Bellingham, now Mbappe, Valverde, Camavinga, possibly Tchouameni, Rudiger, possibly Militao, possibly Rodrygo and going out on a limb, possibly Güler.

And as always the long standing Spaniards are always considered, at least in Spain; Isco, Nacho, Lucas, Arbeloa
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:39 am

We are not like Diego's Napoli or his Argentine side where it was a one man show. Great team effort all around. Regardless, Cristiano was our talisman for 9 years. Not to mention, the most difficult thing in the game is to score. And that man made it look easy.

Thing with Cristiano is people let their personal feelings cloud their judgement of his ability. Like it or not he played a huge role in kickstarting our European runs again. In all those years was our leading scorer, you just can't poo poo that.
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:33 pm

Better question would be Benzema or Modric, no? Since i think Ronaldo is up there by himself in this Madrid era/recent history.
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:37 am

Difficult one... its like asking if Ronaldinho/Suarez/Messi is bigger legend than Xavi/Iniesta/Busquets... obviously Messi for Barca is THE one, but completely different positions n effects etc so... both are legends among the best in the world n dominated for yrs too....
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:48 am

El Gunner wrote:is he a bigger Madrid legend than CR7?

No way in hell; and this is coming from someone who absolutely loves Modric.

Modric is not only a Madrid legend, but a football legend as well. Definitely in the very top tier of the creme de la creme midfielders the game has ever produced.

But Ronaldo is a different beast. Would only put Di Stefano in front of him.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:22 pm

Great objective answer by Demon.

Madrid fans love Modric far more but CR is arguably their greatest player ever
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9