Do you trust statistical player ratings?

+9
aant123
CBarca
Onyx
alexander mahone
VivaStPauli
Great Leader Sprucenuce
The Sanchez
The Franchise
BarrileteCosmico
13 posters

Go down

Do you trust statistical player ratings? Empty Do you trust statistical player ratings?

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:51 am

I don't mean to imply that they're perfect, or even very accurate. But sometimes when I miss a match I go over to whoscored.com and check out their player ratings to see how players I keep a tab on are performing. I think they're trustworthy to the extent that you understand they don't encapsulate everything and take them with a grain of salt. I believe there was a thread named "Can't really argue with this" or something along those lines that posted their best eleven based on these and most people agreed it was fairly decent as far as form is concerned. They're better than goal.com ratings anyway Razz
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Do you trust statistical player ratings? Empty Re: Do you trust statistical player ratings?

Post by The Franchise Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:02 am

I would rather ask a Madrid fans opinion on a Barca game. Thats how little.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Do you trust statistical player ratings? Empty Re: Do you trust statistical player ratings?

Post by The Sanchez Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 am

6.5 was the rating some sources gave Fab and Pedro for the Milan game :facepalm: Thats how much I trust Player Ratings...
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:12 am

Stats suck in general, unless you are talking about dribbles completed per game of course :coffee:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:20 am

I tend to not trust the numerical ones a lot, but if a site like 11Freunde tells me that a player was good, I believe them.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by alexander mahone Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:24 am

Whoscored? Don't trust the rating, but I do find their match stats per player a bit useful.
Anyway, I'm not exactly happy with the idea of assigning 1 number/value/statement to summarize the whole performance of a player, will never be accurate enough.

Last edited by alexander mahone on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:34 am; edited 3 times in total
alexander mahone
alexander mahone
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:29 am

I think you just have to watch games and see which site usually has similar ratings to what you'd give.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:31 am

But as a general note, I do use them, like the OP does: if I miss a player I would like to watch, I'll go to 2 or 3 sites, if all of them give him a good rating, I'll assume he did quite well.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:32 am

Don't even check them/look at them ever.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by aant123 Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:36 pm

alexander mahone wrote:Whoscored? Don't trust the rating, but I do find their match stats per player a bit useful.
Anyway, I'm not exactly happy with the idea of assigning 1 number/value/statement to summarize the whole performance of a player, will never be accurate enough.

My thoughts too. Love whoscored for stats, but the player ratings are rather misleading. Hell, goal.com ratings are miles better Laughing

For example whoscored ranks Juve CBs in the following order:
Lucio (8.17) > Peluso(7.86) > Chiellini (7.83) > Barzagli (7.31)> Bonucci (7.18) > Marrone (6.73) > Caceres (6.67)

Now any Juve fan will tell you Peluso and Lucio have been poor whilst Barzagli has been an absolute rock. Doubt anyone would comprehend any rating that gives Peluso more than 5/10!

aant123
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:26 pm

I wouldn't check from stats how a player has done in a single game, but in the long run I give stats a fair bit of credit in telling how good a player has been.

Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:22 pm

I personally find whoscored (OPTA) very accurate in general, because it tries to take everything that happened objectively into account, you can see immediatelly from the stats why player got good ratings, and they correlate also very well with general opinion.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:28 pm

aant123 wrote:
alexander mahone wrote:Whoscored? Don't trust the rating, but I do find their match stats per player a bit useful.

My thoughts too. Love whoscored for stats, but the player ratings are rather misleading. Hell, goal.com ratings are miles better Laughing

Lucio (8.17) > Peluso(7.86) > Chiellini (7.83) > Barzagli (7.31)> Bonucci (7.18) > Marrone (6.73) > Caceres (6.67)

Now any Juve fan will tell you Peluso and Lucio have been poor whilst Barzagli has been an absolute rock. Doubt anyone would comprehend any rating that gives Peluso more than 5/10!

Well amount of games is taken into account. That is why Lucio and Peluso are ahead of Bonucci and Barzagli. Lucio played 1 match and his performance warranted him a rating of 8.17 for example.

I think whoscored is decent, but the worst is goal.com :facepalm:
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:44 pm

The Franchise wrote:I would rather ask a Madrid fans opinion on a Barca game. Thats how little.

We'd give you an answer more grounded in reality tbh :coffee:
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:57 pm

Doubtful.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aant123 Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:00 pm

Casciavit wrote:
aant123 wrote:

Well amount of games is taken into account. That is why Lucio and Peluso are ahead of Bonucci and Barzagli. Lucio played 1 match and his performance warranted him a rating of 8.17 for example.

I think whoscored is decent, but the worst is goal.com :facepalm:

True Lucio played 1 game and Peluso has played 2 so far, but they were average and awful respectively in those games. Case in point Peluso v Sampdoria was at fault for both goals but got 8.06 WS score. :facepalm:

aant123
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum