Onyx
Kick
Great Leader Sprucenuce
VivaStPauli
10 posters

Go down

The Reusolution Empty The Reusolution

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Today in the Match Dortmund v Frankfurt, Dortmunds striker, Julian Schieber, a young and talented, albeit off-form, classical #9-style striker got sent off quite early.

We've all been talking the talk for ages, Barca don't even have strikers anymore, but Dortmund, actually did walk the walk today. Since Lewandowski is suspended as well, due to some premium Van der Vaart acting, so Reus got to play as a false 9.

And da-hamn that was pretty. I know this isn't news in of itself, we all know a false 9 does work.
But are strikers actually a dying breed? As in poachers?

Apparently Lewandowksi to Bayern is really happening, so Pep doesn't seem to want a striker at Bayern as well (you don't buy Lewa for his finishing) - is this how it's going to turn out?
At Real CR7 is scoring more than Benz and Higgy as well.

So what's next? Are Dortmund even going to try and get a striker to replace Lewandowski? Or are they just going to cut their losses and rotate Götze and Reus through the frontline as a false 9, and play some version of a 4-3-3?
And it's not like you can't play a false-9 type player in a 4-2-3-1 as your spearhead, making it more of a 4-2-1-3 - we know that Löw has been thinking out loud about this, he's mentioned Reus and Götze both as a possibility in playing there, and against France Özil pretty much played that role, especially once Gomez was withdrawn.

So is this the future for Dortmund, and Bayern? That would almost certainly mean that Löw would follow with the NT.
And what about Real? What's up with Benz and Higuain?

So discuss:
Are strikers going away?
Is the false 9 the future?
If yes, is that smart or dumb?
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

The Reusolution Empty Re: The Reusolution

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:19 pm

I think it really depends on how the team is set up.

Obviously for Barca and Dortmund and some other teams false 9s are probably the way to go as forwards who contribute to link up play is probably more important than having a limited striker who is lethal in the box but very underwhelming outside of it.

While obviously there are other teams like Atletico for example with Falcao whose whole system is really based around the fact they have a WC poacher at the end of it all to bang the goals in.

I don't think the striker is dead, rather what the needs of the team is.

For Dortmund i would definitely go for a 4-3-3 with Gotze-Reus-Kuba and i have felt so for a long time ( i had it as my system on Fifa before i stopped playing it eco smile ) but there all teams who are more suited to typical 9s.

But as i said its really how the team is set up.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:27 pm

I disagree with Moal saying its how the team is set up, I believe it depends more on whether they have the player who can play a false 9.

Whats the point in playing an out and out striker when you can play a playmaker/striker in the false 9 position, may as well play them if you got them. However, very few players can do it effectively and thats why Strikers are going to remain vital untill a point where there are more false 9 types than poaching types.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:33 pm

So your point, in a nutshell, is that whenever you got a player that can reasonably play the false 9, you should go for the false 9?
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Benzema doesn't really play false 9 for Real Madrid. Occasionally he goes out wide etc, however wouldn't say he's a false 9.

I'm sure he'd be able to offer more if he did play false 9 though. I mean we already have Ronaldo who finishes, so it might not be like the France situation.

In terms of strikers going, I don't think they are. It just depends on what type of forward you have. If it's someone like Falcao, then you wouldn't really bench him just to play a false 9. Same with other elite/top finishers.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Kick wrote:I disagree with Moal saying its how the team is set up, I believe it depends more on whether they have the player who can play a false 9.

Whats the point in playing an out and out striker when you can play a playmaker/striker in the false 9 position, may as well play them if you got them. However, very few players can do it effectively and thats why Strikers are going to remain vital untill a point where there are more false 9 types than poaching types.

I agree tbf but i do think its how you set up as well, what would Stoke do with a false 9 lol?
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 pm

I think the way to go is more tactical flexibility. Imagine a team that can both play with a false 9 or a striker, depending on how the opponent is set up? If you have to face a team that can go for either set-up, how will you set up your tactics? IMO the way to go is actually being able to field both options.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 pm

In EPL a big striker is always needed Very Happy

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Did Reus actually play like a proper false 9?

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:15 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Kick wrote:I disagree with Moal saying its how the team is set up, I believe it depends more on whether they have the player who can play a false 9.

I agree tbf but i do think its how you set up as well, what would Stoke do with a false 9 lol?
VivaStPauli wrote:So your point, in a nutshell, is that whenever you got a player that can reasonably play the false 9, you should go for the false 9?

I'll answer these two points together, If Stoke had Mario Goetze. I would certianly play him as a false 9. Since Stoke don't, them trying to play anyone at false 9 would be lol worthy.

Why not play a false 9, it is like playing an AM and Cf in one, meaning tou can play an extra man in midfield. Helping you win midfield battles.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:18 pm

False 9 lol

Can someone explain to me what exactly is a false 9?
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:24 pm

highburied wrote:False 9 lol

A striker that drops deep, is creative, good on the ball, good dribbler, good finisher, good at linking up etc.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:36 pm

highburied wrote:False 9 lol

False nine

A unconventional lone striker, who drops deep into midfield. Francesco Totti perhaps invented it for Roma in 2006/7, Lionel Messi played here when he swapped positions with Samuel Eto’o for Barcelona in 2008/09, and Robin van Persie played the role for Arsenal at the start of the 2009/10 season.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/glossary/
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:59 pm

Kick wrote:
If Stoke had Mario Goetze. I would certianly play him as a false 9. Since Stoke don't, them trying to play anyone at false 9 would be lol worthy.

Yes but would be the point of Stoke having a false 9 in their system when they completely ignore the midfield and pump the ball to the strikers either through long balls or crossing a load.

In that type of system a false 9 would be useless and they would basically need to buy 10 more players to make it work Laughing

This is why i say it depends on how you are set up, if you don't play in a way that suits a false 9 or/and don't have the players that can the best out of a false 9 its an utter waste of time.

If you have the players to do it then sure go for False 9 but if you don't then you are not really getting the best from your team.

Like any player it depends on the team and if don't have the team to support a false 9 as your fulcrum then i don't see the reason for it.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:12 am

I think the "extinction" of positions is something of a cycle. Take the AM for example. It died with the rise of the destroyer, it re-surged in the modern game where destroyers with no AMs to destroy became "extinct", and now they're making a come-back. Or the passing CM. It died with the prevalent 4-4-2 (in a 3 man midfield there is the passer, the defender and the creative; in a 4 man midfield there are two wingers, a defender and a creative) and it started a comeback in the past 5 years and now it looks like its here to stay. Not that these positions were ever truly extinct, even now some teams use sweepers under specific conditions, but there are tactical fads that lead to the overuse and underuse of certain types of players.

Right now for possession-based teams it makes no sense to have a poacher because that's like trying to retain possession with 10 men instead of 11. It's obviously much easier in the second case. But if you're a counter attacking team that relies on wingplay and speed then it makes perfect sense to have a poacher. Now, are there less poachers now than 15 years ago? Possibly. But this possession fad will also be over eventually.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:02 pm

So the general notion is that a "false 9" is mostly a great thing because it makes full use of complete forwards, and isn't inherintly an advantageous tactical lineup?
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:24 pm

"False 9" has been around since like the 40's and 50's..Hidegkuti, an Hungarian was generally accepted to be the first of his kind. At least I consider it so.

Its not new and for some teams it makes sense.

I think though people are losing sight in what is the advantage really.

The point of it is, if you have a player who can do 2 roles in one....you dont need 2 players to do it.

So instead of someone in midfield, playing between the lines, making plays and then having someone who can get in scoring positions and score goals..if you have someone who can do both (and heres the important part of my point) to an elite level then it makes better sense to use that player and have another player elsewhere in the team.

The reason for its success has been that while the player drops from the defensive line, there is a moment where the defender who follows him stops doing so and leaves him to the midfield.

If a pass is played in between this moment, it is deadly. Just as deadly is if the defender doesnt follow him and lets him have the ball freely, or the midfielder doesnt pick him up and the player again has the ball freely to turn and run.

That position right there is the most dangerous position to have the ball facing goal, other than right in front of if with no defenders of course.

It works because when that player is in that space, the defender drawn, there will be gaps to expose and the players around him can make smart runs into thse gaps.

Anyway to stop rambling, the point is, I think people are losing sight in its purpose.

I have seen Spain field a team with a suppose false 9 (Cesc) and then play Silva and Pedro...Pedro being the only player running in to goal..of course, your going to struggle at some points because the defence is comfortable with the ball in front of them the whole game and little movement behind them.

There is nothing wrong with it, but in my opinion, it should be reserved for really outstanding players...when you throw just anyone in it, you cant expect it to work for very long.

When people throw names Like Benzema, Silva and others...I laugh.

To answer Viva questions, I dont think its the way of the future no. Teams might try and make it so, but like anything, at the first sign of trouble they will scrap it for something more conventional..and perhaps for good reason, its not for everyone.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:28 pm

As usually, Dani gives a tactical masterclass.

I would only add that false 9 can also cause problems to a defence without even touching the ball if defenders rush out the line to chase him, as then there's space for a direct pass to another forward cutting into that gap.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Thanks Free and very true, something, I did forget.

If the player is good enough, that what will happen.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Thought i'd bump the thread considering how Germany are going tonight...

Neuer; Lahm, Boateng, Mertesacker, Schmelzer; Khedira, Gündogan; Müller, Özil, Reus; Götze

Be interesting to see how that front 4 works.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Kazakhstan to do us a very unlikely favour of getting a draw vs Germany
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender