Celtic star: 'Juve were dirty'

5 posters

Go down

Celtic star: 'Juve were dirty' Empty Celtic star: 'Juve were dirty'

Post by DeviAngel Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Ahead of tonight’s Champions League match, former Celtic star Frank McGarvey claims Juventus were the dirtiest side he ever faced and Claudio Gentile “knocked me unconscious.”

He was on the field when these teams first met in 1981, taking on the likes of Dino Zoff, Gaetano Scirea, Antonio Cabrini, Marco Tardelli and legendary hard man of Italian football Gentile.

“They did everything to upset us,” McGarvey told the Daily Record. “Pulling your jersey was the least of it.

“I was spat on, elbowed and their defenders were even pulling the hairs out of my legs. The worst, though, was when Gentile knocked me out. It happened during the first half in Italy when we were attacking and the referee and the linesman were following the play.

“He just came up behind me and punched me in the head. I was unconscious. Our physio brought me round with smelling salts – and they were disgusting.

“Back then being knocked out wasn’t enough to have you substituted so I played on while the rough treatment continued.

“I was always very good when it came to keeping my discipline as a player and I didn’t respond to any of the fouls or the spitting.

“However, once the final whistle went I lost my head and went in search of Gentile. I went up the tunnel shouting for him and I was determined to land one on him for what he did.

“It’s the only time in my life I’ve ever reacted like that but I was furious about what he’d done. I didn’t get to him but that was probably the best thing that ever happened to me because he was twice my size!”

Juventus lost 1-0 in Glasgow and qualified by winning the second leg 2-0 at the Stadio Comunale in Turin.

“I’ve never had a problem with hard tackling – in fact I think the modern game has gone too far in trying to get rid of it – but they weren’t exactly hard but fair,” continued McGarvey.

“Juventus were a team full of household names and half of them were World Cup winners but the referee in both games let them away with murder.

“Their defenders simply wouldn’t have a career nowadays. The stunts they pulled off the ball back then would now be caught by cameras and they’d be pulled up and banned for it.

“Unfortunately, 30 years ago it was open season on us. It was obvious that they were desperate to win and would stop at nothing when it came to putting you off your game.”
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Celtic star: 'Juve were dirty' Empty Re: Celtic star: 'Juve were dirty'

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:14 pm

rofl

Mans game :bow:

At least he took it like a man and went looking for him. Can you imagine Neymar and Busquettes in this scenario? Laughing
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:18 pm

TomJuve wrote:rofl

Mans game :bow:

At least he took it like a man and went looking for him. Can you imagine Neymar and Busquettes in this scenario? Laughing

Neymar : ' Shall we dance my dear? ' Very Happy
Busquettes : ' I don't wear my dancing shoes '
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Legend Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:24 pm

Stop crying mate. Football was man's game back in the day. Too bad it became a girlie game today with the likes of Busquets, Cristiano, Di maria and the other sissy one I can't get hold of on the top of my head.

Gentile was a true gladiator :coffee:
The Legend
The Legend
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Juventude Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:35 pm

I thought the strength of Scottish sides is their toughness on the pitch and now he is whining about a game where Juve played "dirty." Give me a break. Today's football players could learn a lesson from the players of the past.
Juventude
Juventude
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ion Creanga Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:54 pm

The Legend wrote:Stop crying mate. Football was man's game back in the day. Too bad it became a girlie game today with the likes of Busquets, Cristiano, Di maria and the other sissy one I can't get hold of on the top of my head.

Juventude wrote:I thought the strength of Scottish sides is their toughness on the pitch and now he is whining about a game where Juve played "dirty." Give me a break. Today's football players could learn a lesson from the players of the past.

I hope football fans would be more like you 2 nowadays... Sadly now there are few that appreciate player styles like Chiellini and Gattuso or tough footballers who make fouls when needed and don't afraid of phisycal contact, now most appreciate only 1,70 technical players that fall at every contact and win trophies..
Ion Creanga
Ion Creanga
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Juventude Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:06 pm

tuddor wrote:
The Legend wrote:Stop crying mate. Football was man's game back in the day. Too bad it became a girlie game today with the likes of Busquets, Cristiano, Di maria and the other sissy one I can't get hold of on the top of my head.

Juventude wrote:I thought the strength of Scottish sides is their toughness on the pitch and now he is whining about a game where Juve played "dirty." Give me a break. Today's football players could learn a lesson from the players of the past.

I hope football fans would be more like you 2 nowadays... Sadly now there are few that appreciate player styles like Chiellini and Gattuso or tough footballers who make fouls when needed and don't afraid of phisycal contact, now most appreciate only 1,70 technical players that fall at every contact and win trophies..

Thanks, man. Juve's defense is not just missing Chiellini's defensive abilities for the past month, but Juve has also been missing the initimidation factor that Chiellini brings to a game. Players have to think twice when Chiellini is on the pitch because he can drop a bone crunching blow at any time and that really affects the game. Barzagli and Bonucci are great, but Chiellini is the one who strikes fear in opposing teams.
Juventude
Juventude
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Legend Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Juventude wrote:
tuddor wrote:

Thanks, man. Juve's defense is not just missing Chiellini's defensive abilities for the past month, but Juve has also been missing the initimidation factor that Chiellini brings to a game. Players have to think twice when Chiellini is on the pitch because he can drop a bone crunching blow at any time and that really affects the game. Barzagli and Bonucci are great, but Chiellini is the one who strikes fear in opposing teams.

That is my man Chiello! I will forever remember his personal duels with Ibrahimovic back in the day when Ibra was at Inter. Chiello rumbles like a true warrior he is, too bad Bonucci is mentally weak and volatile.
The Legend
The Legend
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:20 pm

The Legend wrote:
Juventude wrote:
tuddor wrote:

That is my man Chiello! I will forever remember his personal duels with Ibrahimovic back in the day when Ibra was at Inter. Chiello rumbles like a true warrior he is, too bad Bonucci is mentally weak and volatile.

Bonucci from the start of last season maybe but now, hell no since the euro's he is in amazing form and I dare to say overshine Chiello in the first month actually until december and he is the leader now in defense.

I remember Chiello saying that he'l break Ibra's legs lol when we played inter
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Juventude Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:25 pm

DeviAngel wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Juventude wrote:

Bonucci from the start of last season maybe but now, hell no since the euro's he is in amazing form and I dare to say overshine Chiello in the first month actually until december and he is the leader now in defense.

Bonucci is a fine defender, but he isn't feared like Chiellini. It's not even close. Like I said, Chiellini's intimidation factor is much higher than any of our defenders. Chiellini is a throwback from the past.
Juventude
Juventude
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Legend Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:28 pm

DeviAngel wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Juventude wrote:

It is about mentality and attitude mate. I am talking about the mental aspect. Nobody can deny Bonucci has improved massively lately, but mentally he is worlds behind Chiello. Bonucci's face gives the impression he may break into tears at any moment, while Chiello's............... Twisted Evil
The Legend
The Legend
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:29 pm

Juventude wrote:
DeviAngel wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Juventude wrote:

Bonucci is a fine defender, but he isn't feared like Chiellini. It's not even close. Like I said, Chiellini's intimidation factor is much higher than any of our defenders. Chiellini is a throwback from the past.

True I wasn't comparing them just commenting that Bonucci ain't average he grew up in top class defender. Chiello is class b himself he owns
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Juventude Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Our backline is great, but Chiellini is the enforcer that we're badly missing. I really hope he is back in time for the second leg.
Juventude
Juventude
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:48 pm

True, Caceres is great but I see him more of a Barzagli type of defender not the Chiellini type
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ion Creanga Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:03 pm

Juventude wrote:Bonucci is a fine defender, but he isn't feared like Chiellini. It's not even close. Like I said, Chiellini's intimidation factor is much higher than any of our defenders. Chiellini is a throwback from the past.
absolutely..
Chiellini is making hard tackles all game, he intimidates opponents from the very beginning of the match, he's a warrior on the field more than any of our players, the most phisycal in our team... Remember the games with shakhtar and Chelsea? Both teams are made of technical players like mata,oscar,hazard,torres, willian, mkhitaryan etc.. How many times was chiellini dribbled, or lost a one on one duel? He recovered a crazy amount of balls and he was following opponents everywhere, sitting close to them, putting presure, sending some elbows etc
Ion Creanga
Ion Creanga
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down