Lex
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Mr Nick09
McAgger
Nishankly
34 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Liverpool complete Sturridge signing. - Page 3 Empty Re: Liverpool complete Sturridge signing.

Post by McAgger Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 1:35

Cotes wrote:What will happen to Borini? Laughing

Why would anything happen to Borini?

Borini-Suarez-Sturridge

McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Liverpool complete Sturridge signing. - Page 3 Empty Re: Liverpool complete Sturridge signing.

Post by The Sanchez Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 1:45

Decent signing and will play majority of matches on that RW... More depth up front and wants to stay for a long time!
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 2:55

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:

Borini-Suarez-Sturridge

SkrtelSwagger pls...Sterling > Sturridge
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 3:00

Swanhends wrote:

Borini-Suarez-Sturridge

Who's Sterling? Never heard of him. :coffee:
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 3:01

Sterling needs to go back to the reserves.
BR pls.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 3:09

Swanhends wrote:

Borini-Suarez-Sturridge

I'm assuming you are serious on this comment. Ask every single breathing Liverpool fan and he will tell you Sturridge at the moment is a level above young Sterling. Most of us want Sterling benched at the moment as so raw he is.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 3:09

On a more reasonable note, Sterling has great potential but he's still developing both mentally and physically. Playing too much, too soon can overburden a youngster and create injury problems later on, such as with Owen. Sterling relies on his pace quite a bit so any issues like that could be serious trouble for him. Let's not forget that Sterling is still only 18yo; some will argue that if you're good enough, you're old enough but I don't agree with that. With age comes proper physical development to deal with the rigors of playing at the top level week in an week out. Sterling simply isn't there yet and it's already showed at times this season. Having a player to rotate with him and take some of the burden off will not only improve his immediate form but help to protect his longevity in the game.

He's also neither as good positionally as Sturridge nor as clinical in front of goal. Sturridge offers the knack for finding the open space in the area that Suarez creates, whereas Sterling tends to generally stay in a wider area (partially due to his style and partially due to his lack of experience).

There's really no reason both can't get plenty of time in any case.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 3:38

Arquitecto wrote:
Swanhends wrote:

Borini-Suarez-Sturridge

I'm assuming you are serious on this comment. Ask every single breathing Liverpool fan and he will tell you Sturridge at the moment is a level above young Sterling. Most of us want Sterling benched at the moment as so raw he is.

Shocked

Surely you must have forgotten how Daniel Sturridge plays, I assume because he has struggled to find the field this year. Let me jog your memory:

1. Receive ball on wing
2. Dribble down wing
3. Attempt to cut inside
4. Get denied
5. Make a break for the byline
6. Get shut down
7. Try cutting inside again
8. ??????????
9. Lose the ball

Rinse. Repeat.

Manufacturers note: Step 9 may be replaced with "Take an ill-advised and/or selfish shot, miss badly"

Red's right in that I think Sterling IS being played too much, but good god Sturridge is not the solution: Has Sturridge ever had one great game playing on the wing....EVER?

If the plan was to play him at CF maybe I'd be more on board, since we haven't gotten to see all that much of him playing there consistently - But we have seen him play on the wing for Chelsea (multiple times) and its...its just annoying to watch, really

Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 3:43

Swanhends wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:
Swanhends wrote:

Shocked

Surely you must have forgotten how Daniel Sturridge plays, I assume because he has struggled to find the field this year. Let me jog your memory:

1. Receive ball on wing
2. Dribble down wing
3. Attempt to cut inside
4. Get denied
6. Get shut down
8. ??????????
9. Lose the ball

Rinse. Repeat.

Manufacturers note: Step 9 may be replaced with "Take an ill-advised and/or selfish shot, miss badly"

Red's right in that I think Sterling IS being played too much, but good god Sturridge is not the solution: Has Sturridge ever had one great game playing on the wing....EVER?

If the plan was to play him at CF maybe I'd be more on board, since we haven't gotten to see all that much of him playing there consistently - But we have seen him play on the wing for Chelsea (multiple times) and its...its just annoying to watch, really

I find it odd how strong you make this argument when the actual CHELSEA fans disagree with you. You'd think they'd be most frustrated by his poor play if it was as terrible as you're saying.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 3:51

stevieg8 wrote:
Swanhends wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:

Shocked

1. Receive ball on wing
2. Dribble down wing
3. Attempt to cut inside
4. Get denied
6. Get shut down
8. ??????????
9. Lose the ball

Rinse. Repeat.

I find it odd how strong you make this argument when the actual CHELSEA fans disagree with you. You'd think they'd be most frustrated by his poor play if it was as terrible as you're saying.

Here are the 3 quotes from the only Chelsea fans to post in this thread:

Abramovich wrote:He has talent, but it does depend on the system to use him correctly

Gil wrote:Anyway this is one sale this club will live to regret. Was never given a proper go at CF at Chelsea.

Blue Barrett wrote:Good luck to him

1 says nothing about his play either way, and the other two basically say that he has to be used correctly
(read: he needs to play striker), and everyone seems in agreement that he will most likely not be playing striker at Liverpool...Which brings me directly back to my formula of what Sturridge is like playing on the wing

Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 4:16

WE DO NOT PLAY WITH WINGERS. For the last time ffs. We play with three forwards.

We're forced to play Sterling and Downing as the inside forwards because we have no one else and they can't do the job there as good as a forward can. Sturridge and Borini are the exact type of players we need on the left and right forward positions to pounce behind Suarez, who plays as a false 9, and take advantage of the free space and Luis' cleverness.

Which is why Walcott would've been so perfect if we could've gotten him. Oh well, maybe we can get him in the summer.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 4:38

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:WE DO NOT PLAY WITH WINGERS. For the last time ffs. We play with three forwards.

Based on.....what, exactly?

Liverpool complete Sturridge signing. - Page 3 0gNms

Liverpool complete Sturridge signing. - Page 3 0gcZn

Liverpool complete Sturridge signing. - Page 3 0gSGp

Liverpool complete Sturridge signing. - Page 3 0g7sr

Forwards, you say? scratch
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 4:42

We're forced to play Sterling and Downing as the inside forwards because we have no one else and they can't do the job there

Like I said they can't do the job properly :coffee:
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 4:45

Gil wrote:Liverpool fans are unbelievable. They've been calling this lad a scrub for ages. He joins them and their opinions suddenly change overnight.

Anyway this is one sale this club will live to regret. Was never given a proper go at CF at Chelsea. He has terrific talent and athletic ability. Just needs proper mentoring and some heart as well.

When he's banging in 20 goals a season,Torres will undoubtedly get the blame despite 80% of the fans wanting him out. :facepalm:

I dont think ive ever said this, but Gil is right
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 4:51

Swanhends wrote:Red's right in that I think Sterling IS being played too much, but good god Sturridge is not the solution: Has Sturridge ever had one great game playing on the wing....EVER?

last season he was nery nearly our top goal scorer in a team despite being played out of postion in AVBs debarcle as Drogba and traffic cone played CF and then benched by RDM
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 8:31

Nishank wrote:Sterling needs to go back to the reserves.
BR pls.

And again attacking the guy... Rolling Eyes

Lex wrote:Is he really what Liverpool are looking for? I don't really rate him that highly.

I agree. Sad

Gil wrote:Liverpool fans are unbelievable. They've been calling this lad a scrub for ages. He joins them and their opinions suddenly change overnight.

Anyway this is one sale this club will live to regret. Was never given a proper go at CF at Chelsea. He has terrific talent and athletic ability. Just needs proper mentoring and some heart as well.

When he's banging in 20 goals a season,Torres will undoubtedly get the blame despite 80% of the fans wanting him out. :facepalm:

Getting behind a player that's signed and optimistic that he might help us push further up the table =/= change opinions on him...

Also, half of your fanbase did a 180 on their opinions with Torres, Yossi and Meireles... let's not be hypocritical.

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 8:33

ynwa wrote:Getting behind a player that's signed and optimistic that he might help us push further up the table =/= change opinions on him...

Also, half of your fanbase did a 180 on their opinions with Torres, Yossi and Meireles... let's not be hypocritical.

Yossi played a whole 10 seconds of football for the club, i never liked Meireles (although it would be good to have him now) and as for Torres, i think its fair to say we just told ourselves he'd come good for way too long
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 13:36

We're forced to play Sterling and Downing as the inside forwards because we have no one else and they can't do the job there

Like I said they can't do the job properly :coffee:

lol, but you cant say "we dont play with wingers we play with 3 forwards" just because you might hypothetically play with 3 forwards if you had different players, that doesnt make sense

Whether you do in the future remains to he seem, but right now you certainly dont, and last year Rodgers used Sinclair and Dyer, which doesnt suggest that either..
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 14:06

Bhends Sinclair and Dyer were practically what Messiah is on about.

They went inside and outside on the regular, i wouldn't really call them wingers tbh.

Routledge this season has been a fine example of an inside forward, comes off the wing and floats around the middle quite a lot.

Sinclair and Dyer were/are inside forwards IMO, of course they are capable of stretching the play as wingers too but in the main their role are akin to an inside forward.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 14:19

Suarez is not a targetman CF. So having wingers and CFs rain crosses into the box is really not the best way to use him. You want forwards next to him that can link up and make runs as well.

Sturridge could be good. But as i've said, his attitude has been so poor and his play beyond selfish. His talent has always been good.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 14:32

Swanhends wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:
Swanhends wrote:

Shocked

1. Receive ball on wing
2. Dribble down wing
3. Attempt to cut inside
4. Get denied
6. Get shut down
8. ??????????
9. Lose the ball

Rinse. Repeat.

Bhends, so far DS23's best performances came from him on the wing. His 8 goals in 12 matches in saving Bolton from relegation came from the wing. Him saving Chelsea throughout the whole first half of the season (under AvB only) came from him playing on the wing. It might be called more of an outside-right or wide-right role but around in the same perimeter. He just looks more dangerous wide and capable of creating more.

Fact is like any other young upcoming player (like Walcott and Pato for example) all want to play central even though they are far better wide. Sturridge as of yet has not been tested nor performed all to well in a CF role so far.

Bhends, frankly none of the Liverpool fans really wanted Sturridge as I don't blame you for not rating Sturridge along with not seeing him as the solution.

But from the Liverpool perspective, we see him as a threat in the sense that he is the only forward who possesses a goal scoring threat (bar Borini who is injured), can take on defenders and actually beat them (unlike Sterling) while providing some incisive dribbles even if they are selfish.

And the thing is, Liverpool play inside forwards and not wingers. Its just naturally you will see Sterling and Downing drift wide while Borini, Suso, and occasionally Shelvey stuck to their inside forward role rather than drifting wide.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 0:26

Swanhends wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:
Swanhends wrote:

Shocked

1. Receive ball on wing
2. Dribble down wing
3. Attempt to cut inside
4. Get denied
6. Get shut down
8. ??????????
9. Lose the ball

Rinse. Repeat.

Didn't he play on the wing during AVB time and score 15 goals from right hand side of the front 3 ?

Anyways, These are BR's quotes, looks like he'll play central.

I am unsure about moving Suarez outta top position, but BR is saying Suarez will play just behind it. Risky move, let's see

17m LFC Transfer Spec ‏@LFCTS

Rodgers: "Daniel’s best position is as a central striker. I have said 4-3-3 will become richer because of the type of players."

Rodgers: "There is not one way to play 4-3-3. You can play one up, a floating No 9 like Luis Suárez and two wingers."

Rodgers: "You can play one like Daniel Sturridge central, two in and around him narrow, with full backs bombing on."

BR: "I think Daniel's best position will be through the middle with his pace. I spoke with Luis at length about this a number of times."

BR: “This has been in the plan for a few months. When Suarez played at Ajax he played in behind as a No 10 in between the lines."

BR: "Suarez also played as a reverse winger from the left side so he wasn’t quite out wide, he was tucked in round the corner."

BR: “Wherever Suarez plays, he will make the same movements and he will find the space because he is a world-class player."

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 0:52

Rodgers' comments come as something of a surprise to me, after the amount of times he's referred to Suarez as LFC's Messi and false 9.

We've had lengthy discussions on Suarez's best role in the LFC section and many (myself included before this season) have suggested he's best playing as a left forward in something of a free role. After his performances this season I have to admit that the false 9 role really does suit him very well, but I still think he could also be effective in his former wide role. I'm not sure I like the idea of him as a number 10 though, to be honest.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 1:01

Isn't what Rodgers describing more of a 4-2-3-1 than a 4-3-3?

Seems a bit of a strange move as one midfielder will have to be dropped you would have thought.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 1:28

Well this comes as a complete surprise to me hmm I don't know if it's wise moving Suarez whose banged in 18 goals in a half a season out of position. It certainly will be a very interesting next few weeks to see where Rodgers sees Sturridge and how it affects Luis and to a lesser extent Borini/Sterling/Suso.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 1:30

I should add if this is the plan then there was A LOT and i mean A LOT better choices than Sturridge for such a role.

Very strange IMO.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next