Did Wenger make a mistake in choosing Vermaelen as captain? - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Did Wenger make a mistake in choosing Vermaelen as captain?

+19
SamuelJayC
Emaharg
abirking
Highburied
Twoism
CBarca
SUPERCARTTS
EL Patron
Eman
6unner
Raptorgunner
Amar
furiouswindbottom
lenear1030
Wilson37
RealGunner
MJ
urbaNRoots
abhinav14
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Did Wenger make a mistake in choosing Vermaelen as captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Did Wenger make a mistake in choosing Vermaelen as captain?

Post by SamuelJayC Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:26 am

Sagna, according to goal.com, refused vice-captaincy.

Not sure I believe it, but anyhow, Arteta should be captain.

SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Did Wenger make a mistake in choosing Vermaelen as captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Did Wenger make a mistake in choosing Vermaelen as captain?

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:05 pm

:coffee:
Too soon?
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Tbh I'd switch the armband to Mertesacker. He'd make a better captain imo

Gemini
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:35 pm

Give it to Arshavin, he is humble and respectful and never plays. :whistle:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:46 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Vermaelen isn't even first team material, let alone captain material. Don't know what was Arsene thinking to be honest. Maybe he's planning to sell him this summer? Chaka

Still hoping.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:37 am

Raptorgunner wrote: :coffee:
Too soon?

No not too soon, a *bleep* too late it's what it is. I eat my own words, now drop him on the bench and go with Sagna - Kozz - Mert - Monreal; in case of injuries: Jenkinson - Sagna - Mert - Monreal and worst case: Jenkinson - Sagna - Kozz - Santos.

TV5 pissed me off so much, granted we overrated him to no end last season but god damn, one guy ability can't drop that quick, I'm pulling my hair trying to find a reasonable explaination.

Is it captaincy burden ? then he's the softest pussy in the team. Is it the system? It has nothing to do with him being beaten every freaking time 1v1. Even Squid made better captain couple of time in 1st season.

We made fun of Santos with his fatty body and chill attitude but at least he has excuse. What's TV5 excuse?

Lets make Jack captain
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:38 am

Twoism wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote: :coffee:
Too soon?

No not too soon, a *bleep* too late it's what it is. I eat my own words, now drop him on the bench and go with Sagna - Kozz - Mert - Monreal; in case of injuries: Jenkinson - Sagna - Mert - Monreal and worst case: Jenkinson - Sagna - Kozz - Santos.

TV5 pissed me off so much, granted we overrated him to no end last season but god damn, one guy ability can't drop that quick, I'm pulling my hair trying to find a reasonable explaination.

Is it captaincy burden ? then he's the softest pussy in the team. Is it the system? It has nothing to do with him being beaten every freaking time 1v1. Even Squid made better captain couple of time in 1st season.

We made fun of Santos with his fatty body and chill attitude but at least he has excuse. What's TV5 excuse?

Lets make Jack captain

Not really an explanation just something to think about. The defense was much better last year with Song as DM. Artetta as a deep playmaker leaves the defense without help.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:03 am

There's no explanation needed, he's just a poor defender.

I rate his Arsenal career as high as Djourou's. 6 good months and a couple of mediocre seasons but Djourou was an easy target because he was a kid who had to fill in when someone was injured while Vermaelen was bought for £10m from Ajax. With or without a DM, Vermaelen is poor - if you watch him with Belgium he's the same there but they have no other options while we have two better defenders in Koscielny and Mertesacker yet Vermaelen starts.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:50 pm

I wont agree with you if you say he is a poor defender.. he was a very good defender for us in his first two seasons.. he may be a bit error prone like all other fast aggressive ball playing defenders..
and there was no questions about his passion and talent last season.. he was undoubtedly the best choice as captain..
but, he is having a terrible season.. cant believe how he misses those clearances and gets easily beaten on 1v1 at times.. these never happened in his previous seasons.. he never used to lose 1v1 and was so dominant at the back..
so i will never question his talent and passion.. but he is low on confidence and may be captaincy is adding pressure on him...
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:02 pm

He has no tactical awareness... that's why he gets beaten so easily. The injuries have taken a little bit away from his athleticism. So now, he needs to actually learn the craft of defending with both your body and your head.

Watching him, he's easy to attack because he squares you up. You can go either side against him because of it. He never sets up an attacker.

Per is the exact opposite... he needs to out-think an attacker or he has no chance. He's too slow to square anyone up. If he's not able to out-think the attacker, he often gets raped.

Koscielny is not perfect either by any means... but he has no glaring weakness at least. We need to get another well-rounded CB to put next to Kos. Per and Vermaelen are both completely overrated in my book.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:08 pm

sportsczy wrote:We need to get another well-rounded CB to put next to Kos. Per and Vermaelen are both completely overrated in my book.
I wouldn't call Per overrated considering half of the world still thinks he's utter shit due to what the media said during his first season.

I would agree about getting another CB though, on the basis of our recent performances. Of course, it sounds like Arsene loves our options at the back right now. Tbf, I would still rank our current defensive unit better than some of the ones we have had recently, but they are often completely exposed to attackers due to a lack of midfield cover. Our first concern should be replacing the gaping hole Song's departure left in the squad, then we should offload Squillaci (and probably Djourou too) to make space for a new top-class CB. My hopes aren't high though smoking
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:37 pm

We need better defensive coach, Bould for some reason has made things worse.

Mert is too slow for us and he had good season last year this year he has been shit with the rest of the defenders.

If it's just one player, we can replace him but when the whole defensive back line is shit there is a huge problem.The Arm band should be taken away from Vermaelen, so he can concentrate just on defending and let another player be the leader.

Its clear we have no leaders only Jack, and he is too young to be captain imo, we should not put too much pressure on him.

Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:We need better defensive coach, Bould for some reason has made things worse.

Mert is too slow for us and he had good season last year this year he has been shit with the rest of the defenders.

If it's just one player, we can replace him but when the whole defensive back line is shit there is a huge problem.The Arm band should be taken away from Vermaelen, so he can concentrate just on defending and let another player be the leader.

Its clear we have no leaders only Jack, and he is too young to be captain imo, we should not put too much pressure on him.

Arteta, Vermaelen and Mert :coffee:
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:35 am

I remember at the beginning of the season we were discussing about squad depth and happy that we have 3 very good cb for the first time.. Usually we will have one of the cb in good form.. It was Kos last season, Terminator before that.. But all 3 has been inconsistent this season..
I still trust in Kos and Verm.. They can return to their best given a run of matches.. But i doubt Metskr is not going to make it in Premier League..
Anyway next summer captaincy should be changed..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:08 am

Eman wrote:
sportsczy wrote:We need to get another well-rounded CB to put next to Kos. Per and Vermaelen are both completely overrated in my book.
I wouldn't call Per overrated considering half of the world still thinks he's utter shit due to what the media said during his first season.

I would agree about getting another CB though, on the basis of our recent performances. Of course, it sounds like Arsene loves our options at the back right now. Tbf, I would still rank our current defensive unit better than some of the ones we have had recently, but they are often completely exposed to attackers due to a lack of midfield cover. Our first concern should be replacing the gaping hole Song's departure left in the squad, then we should offload Squillaci (and probably Djourou too) to make space for a new top-class CB. My hopes aren't high though smoking

been trying to say that for a while. I think that it not only causes issues with the defense but it also limits our attack thru the midfield.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:21 am

Just give the damn armband to Wilshere already and be done with it Wenger. Jack is 21, it's time. I think Gerrard was 21 when he first captained us in the absence of Hyypia and Fowler.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:34 am

Wilshere is already carrying the team on his shoulders.. I hope we dont put more responsibility on his shoulders and tire or overwork him.. Not till he is 25..
The last thing we would want to see is him getting tired and giving up..
Sadly, there are no other solid candidates for captaincy atm.. Just keep it circulating with Arteta, Sagna or Rosicky for the next 1-2 years...
And we even have captain Djurou and captain Squid to call upon.. Laughing
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:33 am

Wilson37 wrote:I remember at the beginning of the season we were discussing about squad depth and happy that we have 3 very good cb for the first time.. Usually we will have one of the cb in good form.. It was Kos last season, Terminator before that.. But all 3 has been inconsistent this season..
I still trust in Kos and Verm.. They can return to their best given a run of matches.. But i doubt Metskr is not going to make it in Premier League..
Anyway next summer captaincy should be changed..

I found u being a bit biased toward TV5. Sure last year, he was better than Mert, not by much mind u since the Boss was miles ahead both of them. But this year, Mert has been comfortably better than TV5. Given how long they have been with the club respectively, I think Mert is the one who should get some slack not TV5.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:26 pm

Wilson always hates Per Sad

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2