Paying another team to win... Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Paying another team to win...

4 posters

Go down

Paying another team to win... Empty Paying another team to win...

Post by donttreadonred Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:44 am

Michael Laudrup has no problem with rivals paying teams to win
Swansea City manager Michael Laudrup says he sees no problem with teams paying rival sides to win games.

The Dane stressed he was completely against "match fixing", but believes the term needs to be "better defined".

He said: "If Swansea play the last game against a team and a third team pays Swansea to win the game, I really don't see anything bad about that."

Accepting money to influence the outcome of a match is against Football Association and Premier League rules.

Laudrup was asked about the issue of match fixing by a journalist working for European media organisations at a news conference.

The scenario Laudrup describes could involve a club in the relegation zone paying a team a bonus if they beat one of their closest rivals, enabling the threatened club to stay up.

Laudrup, who has 104 caps and 37 goals for Denmark, was asked the question because he played for Lazio and Juventus in the 1980s, and Italian football continues to be dogged by match-fixing claims.

As many as 13 Italian clubs - mainly from the second division - are under investigation. Juventus coach Antonio Conte was given a 10-month suspension in August for not reporting alleged match-fixing in two games involving ex-club Siena in the 2010-11 season. He denies the claims and is appealing.

Laudrup, 48, said players guilty of being paid to lose should be banned from the game for life instead of being given fixed-term bans.
Michael
He said: "To say I'm against that [match-fixing] is like saying today it's Thursday - it's obvious.

"The worst match fixing I've heard was what happened in Italy before I came there in the beginning of the 80s, where somebody bought three or four of the players in a team to lose a game.

"That means that seven or eight players in a team were playing to win, like normal, and three or four of them just to lose."

However Laudrup has no issue if there were bonus from rival teams.
"It's just a bonus. For me, match-fixing is somebody pays someone to lose a game," he said.

"In Spain where there's one or two matches left in a season we always talked about the suitcases.

"But the suitcases is to win - I don't see anything bad about that.

"I think we have to define very well what is match-fixing because there's different levels, I think."

Spokesmen for the Football Association of Wales, the English Football Association and Premier League declined to comment specifically on Laudrup's revelations.

And the English FA and the FAW have said it is not their responsibility to examine Laudrup's comments on match-fixing.

But the FA pointed to rule E5(a) of its regulations, which states:
• a participant shall not, directly or indirectly, offer, agree to give, give, solicit, agree to accept or accept any bribe, gift or reward or consideration of any nature which is, or could appear to be related in any way to seeking to influence the outcome or conduct of a match or competition.
The Premier League has a rule stating that "a cub shall not either directly or indirectly:
• be involved in or have any power to determine or influence the management or administration of another club or Football League club; or
• permit any other club or Football League club to be involved in or have any power to determine or influence its management or administration.
And:
• in all matters and transactions relating to the League each club shall behave towards each other club and the League with the utmost good faith.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19667219

Now, this is not a discussion intended to slam the Spanish or Italian leagues or even to discuss the legality of it in relation to the English FA. The question is simple: "Should this practice of 'suitcases' be considered match-fixing, or is it at all unethical."

When I heard about this practice, I was admittedly caught in two minds.

On the one hand, the suitcase isn't intended to make a club do anything that they shouldn't already be doing. The money is simply an extra enticement for the club and players to perform their job at the highest possible level they can. In that sense, it can be argued that this sort of enticement is beneficial to the game, as it keeps teams from "shutting down" prior to the end of the season. As Laudrup states, this is not necessarily the same as what is traditionally thought of as match-fixing. It seems to me that he no qualms against enticing anoth club to play to their fullest extent.

However, the more I think about it, the more I cannot agree with Laudrup. While this practice doesn't pay another club to do anything unnatural, per se. It is certainly an attempt to exert influence on a match/club by an external party. In that sense it is inherently the same as the more traditional definition of match fixing. In this situation, it is immaterial what the request is. The simple fact of the matter is that someone is paying a club and it's players to achieve a certain result. To me, that is unethical and should have no part in sports. I can certainly see the merits of increased effort on the part of teams who have nothing to lose and nothing left to achieve at the end of the season. However, I simply cannot get past the direct, intentional, and external influence on a match/club/player. That categorically rules this out for me.

With that said, I'm very interested to see how everyone else views this practice. Is this okay? Do you have any problems with it? Do the benefits outweigh the negatives?

Discuss...
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Paying another team to win... Empty Re: Paying another team to win...

Post by Onyx Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:45 am

Shouldn't be allowed imo.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by che Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:47 am

should sales commissions be considered bribery?
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:31 am

Bonuses are always a good thing. But i can't wrap my head around the fact that the bonus is going to be given by an external party. I feel just this aspect might lead to a few negative consequences for the game in general.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down