Do you think our new defensive system will collide with our attacking beliefs?

+4
SamuelJayC
EL Patron
Jay29
The Verminator
8 posters

Go down

Do you think our new defensive system will collide with our attacking beliefs? Empty Do you think our new defensive system will collide with our attacking beliefs?

Post by The Verminator Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:42 pm

I was just thinking. 3 gamess, 3 cleansheets. We have been rock solid. However we've only scored 2 goals, and that was all in the Liverpool game. I know our attack still needs time to gel so that the players can gain an understanding, but, i was thinking, with all this defensive excellency, wouldn't we have to compromise attack? Like would we throw men forward less often? Would we play our possession game less often so we don't get caught high up the field?

I haven't really been analysing the games so i can't say for sure. What do you guys think?
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Do you think our new defensive system will collide with our attacking beliefs? Empty Re: Do you think our new defensive system will collide with our attacking beliefs?

Post by Jay29 Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Yes, definitely.

Our defence has improved because, as a team, we're defending considerably better. Wingers are tracking back, midfielders are protecting the back four and full backs aren't getting forward as often. It's making us a more compact side.

Compare that to a typical attacking strategy: wingers playing high up the pitch on the shoulder of the defenders, full backs camped in the opposition half as extra midfielders and central midfielders getting forward.

This is pretty much text book defensive/offensive strategy. Which one a team should use should depend on the situation. For a club like us, we should be comfortable to play an attacking game against weaker opposition. We haven't seen us go flat out attacking since we've played two games away from home against tough opposition.

What Arsenal have to do is find a balance between the two. They have to ask themselves: is it okay to go a bit more attacking now? Or should we shut up shop? Intelligent players should be able to read the situation.

Even at times today, both full backs went forward and supported the attack. They felt comfortable doing so because Liverpool were looking average going forward.

What I think Arsenal will do this season is hope that the front four clicks and does all the offensive work itself. That way, the double pivot can hold the midfield and the fullbacks can stay back, which will help stifle counter attacks. It's a lot more reserved than last season, but one of the main reasons we fail to challenge for honours is because we leak too many goals.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Do you think our new defensive system will collide with our attacking beliefs? Empty Re: Do you think our new defensive system will collide with our attacking beliefs?

Post by EL Patron Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:02 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:Yes, definitely.

Our defence has improved because, as a team, we're defending considerably better. Wingers are tracking back, midfielders are protecting the back four and full backs aren't getting forward as often. It's making us a more compact side.

Compare that to a typical attacking strategy: wingers playing high up the pitch on the shoulder of the defenders, full backs camped in the opposition half as extra midfielders and central midfielders getting forward.

This is pretty much text book defensive/offensive strategy. Which one a team should use should depend on the situation. For a club like us, we should be comfortable to play an attacking game against weaker opposition. We haven't seen us go flat out attacking since we've played two games away from home against tough opposition.

What Arsenal have to do is find a balance between the two. They have to ask themselves: is it okay to go a bit more attacking now? Or should we shut up shop? Intelligent players should be able to read the situation.

Even at times today, both full backs went forward and supported the attack. They felt comfortable doing so because Liverpool were looking average going forward.

What I think Arsenal will do this season is hope that the front four clicks and does all the offensive work itself. That way, the double pivot can hold the midfield and the fullbacks can stay back, which will help stifle counter attacks. It's a lot more reserved than last season, but one of the main reasons we fail to challenge for honours is because we leak too many goals.

This is where Song failed spectacularly, hopefully the likes of Frimpong and Coquelin can learn from Arteta.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:25 am

I think there's a good chance that this season we will not score as many, but we'll concede less.

3 clean sheets in the first 3 league games of a season for the first time in 88 years is a huge stat. When you consider that two of our first three games have been Stoke and Liverpool both away, that's quite impressive.

Steve Bould's affect on the team is evident, and it was evident in pre-season too, as we saw in Cologne with the Mertesacker-Vermaelen goal in that game (flicked header at near post etc). Defensively, he has got us well-drilled and compact.

A great sight today was how Oxlade-Chamberlain and Podolski helped Jenkinson and Gibbs out defensively, always tracking back and working hard, stopping crosses, making tackles etc. We've not always seen that with Walcott and Arshavin in recent seasons for example, particularly the latter.

It will be interesting to see how this develops as the season progresses, and it's important that we don't focus so much on the defence that is stops our game going forward, however, we saw at Anfield, that our beautiful play remains there, and our counter-attacking play is still formidable when at it's best.

I'm convinced we'll be ok.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by SUPERCARTTS Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:27 am

Essentially it's all about striking a balance. Jay raised a few good points, so it's important to bear those in mind.

Defensively, we have been poor over the last 3 season. We just have to make sure we don't leave our defenders over exposed. Having Jenko and Gibbs attacking simultaneously isn't necessary. If one goes up, the other should tuck in with verm and kos/merte. Then Arteta, like he has been doing, will be the deepest player (closest to defence) back. Thus we'll always have 4 player in defensive mode just incase utd or city are playing a counter attacking style like they usually do.

A bit more tweaking and we'll be 5th gear!
SUPERCARTTS
SUPERCARTTS
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:50 am

I recall Ancelotti's Chelsea having a system like that that worked very well. Ivanovic would tuck in from right back, making a three at the back while Cole rampaged forward. Mikel would always protect the back four. It worked really well since Cole was good enough to completely dominate the left hand side on his own, and Malouda and Anelka could cut inside and play close to Drogba.

I think it's something that could work well with us. Jenkinson and Sagna can get up and down that right flank tirelessly all game but aren't all that great offensively (the former can't pass, the latter can't cross). However, they're good defensively. Gibbs and Santos are better going forward. If only Gibbs had a better end product. He has been the one to get forward the most of the two fullbacks so far this season.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by The Verminator Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:26 am

I agree with everything ya'll are saying. tbh i was a bit worried, i mean it was that slick possession based Arsenal that i fell in love with. So naturally i was quite a bit worried. But i'm actually enjoying it. I hate seeing us concede cheap stupid goals and so far that hasn't happened. We are the only team to have not conceded in the EPL yet. And we've faced Stoke, Sunderland and Liverpool. I am liking this new Arsenal, although i hope that the front players start clicking together and Giroud starts scoring, i don't want another 'Chamakh" situation....
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:00 pm

The Verminator wrote:I agree with everything ya'll are saying. tbh i was a bit worried, i mean it was that slick possession based Arsenal that i fell in love with. So naturally i was quite a bit worried. But i'm actually enjoying it. I hate seeing us concede cheap stupid goals and so far that hasn't happened. We are the only team to have not conceded in the EPL yet. And we've faced Stoke, Sunderland and Liverpool. I am liking this new Arsenal, although i hope that the front players start clicking together and Giroud starts scoring, i don't want another 'Chamakh" situation....

For me it was the fact pacey counterattacking days.. I am actually enjoying this more than all that possession with no end product days in the interim Very Happy

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Exactly as Jay said.. Appreciate Gibbs stamina and speed.. He can completely cover the left side and Podolski will play more centrally like yesterday..
And i dont think its going to affect our possession game much.. The only change is we are bit more alert for the counterattack and the wingers track back to help the defence.. But it demands more effort and energy from the wingers.. We must make sure that they dont get overstressed...
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:17 pm

3 clean sheets! Steve Bould must be working some magic with our defense, last year this time we had had conceded 10 goals if I am not wrong. As long as we dont concede we dont have to throw man forward and Arteta is doing a amazing job by just doing what he is told to do.

I think for the first time in years we have bully striker up front that can cause problem for defenders so the rest of the guys can do their job. We will only get better, lets hope for Jack and Sagna to join the team this month.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum