Tactical shortcomings and potential solutions.

+3
kiranr
Onyx
Stejo
7 posters

Go down

Tactical shortcomings and potential solutions. Empty Tactical shortcomings and potential solutions.

Post by Stejo Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Our game relies on defense splitting passes through the middle of the opponent's area mostly. Everyone has figured this by now and when a team defends deep employing a double zone tightly packed in the middle, there's not much we can do.

It's been obvious multiple times this season and most importantly in the latest catastrophic games versus Chelsea and Madrid, that we need some way to draw the defenders apart. That's by providing width that actually feels threatening.

Whenever we tried that in those games, mainly through Alves/Tello/Cuenca, the defense wouldn't take the bait, because there was no real threat to follow up the runs down the sides. The winger would just run all the way down to the byline, hoping to draw a couple defenders out and pass that ball back to the middle just outside the area.

There was no presence inside the area to make the idea of a cross seem dangerous enough to actually force defenders to close down the winger. Not to mention the atrocious quality of the crosses themselves since we don't have a good crosser. All our wingers are mainly inside forwards.

No amount of good dribblers and passers can break down a tightly packed all out defending team that doesn't even try to steal the ball. This was made abundantly clear in the 2nd half of the 2nd leg versus Chelsea were it didn't even matter who was defending. There were no real central defenders left in the lineup and yet still the formation was unbreakable. This clarified that it's not a matter of luck or world class defensive talent, rather than an inherent tactical flaw that we need to take care of.

Football needs to evolve, same as everything else. The current formula was highly successful while teams were behaving normally, as they would against any other opponent. When teams gave up trying to take possession of the ball and stopped worrying about potential crosses, we became a one trick pony. And this is what we need to solve for next season in order to continue being successful while playing beautiful football.

The obvious solution here is a tall striker backed by good crossers in the form of wingers or attacking fullbacks. That's not exactly evolution however, rather than backing down and following the traditional formula to facilitate success. The problem is that crosses have a very low completion rate. Whenever you cross the ball, the most likely outcome is losing possession of the ball.

Maybe the evolution lies in the setup of the cross. Through careful positioning, while using a tall striker you could make crosses with a very high completion rate that are not necessarily aimed at scoring rather than opening up defenses. The winger crosses, the tall striker uses his head to bring down the ball, passing it to a now unmarked midfielder at the edge of the area, thus creating space while still retaining possession. Leaving the striker and the crosser unmarked stops being a viable option and coupled with the already brilliant use of short passes when the ball is on the ground, you take the game to the next level. Or maybe just go for the more traditional risky cross aimed at scoring directly when time is running short and you need the goal. Having additional options is always great.

The other obvious problem here however is that in order to do that you can't have Messi in the CF role anymore. Moving him on the wing wouldn't really take full advantage of his talents and I doubt he'd want it either. Playing as number 10 however, just behind the striker would suit him great, giving him a whole new set of options to play off the strong striker doing 1-2s or just feeding him good old assists.

That would warrant a change of formation too though. Right now, we only employ a trequartista role when we play 3-4-3. That's a formation without fullbacks however that would invalidate the effort to create extra width since you can't have the overlaps. The only other way I can think of to retain width and still have the number 10 spot on the field is the 4-2-3-1.

Two problems here. First, the two midfielders in the 4-2-3-1 both need to be good defenders. Mascherano and Busquets can both fill the role just fine, so does Keita most likely. Cesc would also be viable coupled with a good DM since he's used to the physical game from his time with Arsenal. Xavi and Iniesta not so much but they could be made to fit and considering Xavi is in his twilight, it wouldn't be that big of an issue. Iniesta is versatile enough to find a role to shine in pretty much anywhere on the offensive half. And who knows, Xavi could find a new prime in a Pirlo kind of role.

The second and most important problem would be that the number 10 in the 4-2-3-1 is not a trequartista. He actually has to defend quite a lot since the midfield triangle is inversed and that wouldn't suit Messi all that great. Maybe the striker could do the defending when we don't have the ball, leaving Messi up front for the speedy counter and switching places when we are in possession again, which hopefully should be the majority of the game. That would be an interesting take on the current formula and would classify as evolution in my eyes.

To do all that however, one thing is for certain. We need a strong, tall and hardworking striker. Able and willing to defend when needed, fit in and actually help define the system and possess great vision and chemistry with the rest of the squad. Mission impossible? Maybe, but the more I think of it, the more I see Llorente as the ideal candidate. Ibra didn't work out the previous time we experimented like that, but he had a very peculiar personality, wasn't really willing to defend and was given a different set of instructions all together.

I see quite a few posts lately of people afraid of change, wanting to stick to the current formula and not trying to take it forward. I respectfully disagree completely with these views. Evolution is at the heart of the game. What worked yesterday won't necessarily continue working tomorrow and part of the beauty of the game lies in watching it evolve in a neverending paper-rock-scissors fashion. The failures of this season weren't a product of bad luck, rather than staleness in my opinion. We relied too much on what we already have.

Pep tried to mix it up of course with the introduction of the 3-4-3 but unfortunately it didn't really work out. And it didn't work out mainly because it was a step back rather than a step forward. The 3-4-3 had its cycle a long time ago and was eventually abandoned when teams figured out how to deal with it. Just because it hasn't been used in a while, doesn't make it new and shiny again. Only takes a couple hours watching old games and reading the football bibles to remember its shortcomings and how they were used to undo it. Which is certainly what happened whenever we tried using it. Most teams were more than ready and willing to tear its flaws apart with long diagonal passes catching the defense off position time and yet again.

I could keep going on and on forever about other ways to give additional width to our game or how to properly use a tall striker in the current 4-3-3 framework but every other way I can think of would marginalize Messi so I'm rather keen on the 4-2-3-1 solution. Evolution is the name of the game and whatever the case might be, it's certainly exciting waiting to see what direction we're gonna follow for next season.

Stejo
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Tactical shortcomings and potential solutions. Empty Re: Tactical shortcomings and potential solutions.

Post by Onyx Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:39 pm

Iniesta's best position is in the middle imo. In a 4-2-3-1 he'd have to play on the left.

How about just keep the 4-3-3 but having Messi as a RW/CAM and Alves overlapping?

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Tactical shortcomings and potential solutions. Empty Re: Tactical shortcomings and potential solutions.

Post by kiranr Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Barcelona need to bring the opposition out from their final third to create space. Either for crossing or for playing through the middle.

I dont think having a tall CF will help. In order to break park-the-bus, the players will need to cede control over to the opposition a lot more than they do currently.

In any case, Barcelona did not lose because they could not break the defense. The players did break the defense, but just could not capitalise on the chances that were created. All this changing style etc is not needed because we have lost after a very long time and the main reason was not because teams figured us out, but because we were not at our best.

Great post though Stejo. Really, a good read!
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:24 pm

I mentioned a little while back an idea I had about giving up on the false number 9. Some people thought I was saying I don't think it can work any more. That's not what I was saying. Just trying to think of alternative ideas without really being sure how well they would work. So here's that idea in a little more elaborate fashion. Before commenting please remember it's an idea and nothing more.

It's hard to find world class finishers who can play the entire season on the left or right. So let's use a pure finisher in the center. Messi alternates between right and left wing but more on the right. Yes this could mean that Messi's influence will be a little less if he is not in the center. However I think we need to stop depending completely and totally on his influence and no one should ever be able to call us a one man team. Messi is of course our best player and even the world's best player but that doesn't mean that every move must go through him. Instead let us have more of the game flow through Xavi, Iniesta, etc. Let Messi be more free to do what only he can do without having to feel that he is having to carry the team. Barcelona are not Argentina and do not need a Maradona-esque Messi.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:15 am

I am sorry, but Messi can no longer play on the flank. We doesnt have to work rate for it, he wont chase fullbacks and more importantly he wont run off the ball.

There is nothing wrong with the false 9, it didnt just all of a sudden "stop working" you have to look at the differences.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:35 pm

dani, fair enough. So doesn't that constrict us in terms of not being able to get the world's best strikers and finishers. The likes of Henry and Villa may be exceptions. Also I must mention here that if Messi is to be remain the false number 9, then how much sense does it make playing A.Sanchez through the center? Shouldn't he be playing on one of the wings instead?

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:58 pm

The Franchise wrote:I am sorry, but Messi can no longer play on the flank. We doesnt have to work rate for it, he wont chase fullbacks and more importantly he wont run off the ball.
That's very bad. You need to take care of this very issue before anything else. He won't chase back today, he won't go forward tomorrow. I always thought Cristiano Ronaldo was a lazy, selfish player but since mid-season he always chased opposition full-backs when they made forward runs while Messi was having walkabouts. I remember Messi when he lost the ball, he used to chase it until Barcelona were in possession of it again. I don't see that any more. Don't let what happened to Ronnie happen to Messi.

Btw great thread!
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:08 pm

danyjr wrote:
That's very bad. You need to take care of this very issue before anything else. He won't chase back today, he won't go forward tomorrow. I always thought Cristiano Ronaldo was a lazy, selfish player but since mid-season he always chased opposition full-backs when they made forward runs while Messi was having walkabouts. I remember Messi when he lost the ball, he used to chase it until Barcelona were in possession of it again. I don't see that any more. Don't let what happened to Ronnie happen to Messi.

Btw great thread!

Do you know how many minutes Messi has played this season and last? He is clearly fatigued and hence the walkabouts. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:12 pm

I hope you are right. In that case he should be rested once in a while to keep him fresh, especially you don't want him drained at the end of the season when it matters the most. And one could hope for more rotation in the Barcelona squad like back in 2008-09.

Having played and watched football for many years, I know that one bad apple will make apples around it go bad. Being Argentine, I don't want Messi to go bad and I hope Vilanova makes sure he won't be another gem going to waste because of lack of hunger and being lazy or being distracted by non-footballing matters.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Potential Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:58 pm

I think the 4-2-2-2 (or to be precise 4-1-1-2-2) is perfect for Barcelona!

Dani Alves Puyol/Masherano Pique Adriano/Fontas?
Busquets
Xavi
Iniesta Fabregas
Messi Sanchez/Villa

Iniesta gets to play in his favorite middle position, Fabregas is perfect for the attacking midfielder role as he is very creative, Busquets gets to play as a defensive midfielder where he excels in keeping position, Xavi gets the anchor role and Messi keeps his middle forward position but gets partnered by one of Sanchez or Villa who are both center forwards but played out of position.

Lack of width isn't an issue as you have attacking fullbacks and most likely one of the Iniesta/Sanchez/Villa is going to go wide if needed.
Potential
Potential
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Stejo Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Potential wrote:
Lack of width isn't an issue as you have attacking fullbacks and most likely one of the Iniesta/Sanchez/Villa is going to go wide if needed.

The problem isn't providing width, this you can do in any framework with overlapping fullbacks. The issue for us is taking advantage of the width. Or rather making the opposition believe that we could take advantage of it if left unchecked.

As it stands now, we don't have any presence in the area to receive potential crosses from the side. Most of the time when a winger or fullback makes a run he's basically bluffing, trying to lure defenders out wide, knowing fully well that he has no intention of actually crossing.

Soon as defenses picked this up it became very hard to break them down. 8 defenders congested inside the area is extremely hard to bypass or even take a shot through. There's bodies literally everywhere.

Changing framework is not as crucial as mixing in a tall strong body to provide threat. It's basically what Pep tried in the last game with Chelsea by subbing Keita in. He didn't want him to defend, rather than be inside the area as a threat. And it's also why Pique was sorely missed in that game.

But none of them is ideal in this role obviously. And if you're gonna do something, you might as well do it right or there's gonna be a lot of frustration coming our way.

Stejo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:54 pm

That's what Arsenal do. Another thing: I believe Busquets should do more when the team is attacking. Take more responsibilities, make a more ambitious pass, lob the ball or shoot. He is often way too passive against a team that parks the bus you often don't feel his presence at all.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:41 pm

messixaviesta wrote:dani, fair enough. So doesn't that constrict us in terms of not being able to get the world's best strikers and finishers. The likes of Henry and Villa may be exceptions. Also I must mention here that if Messi is to be remain the false number 9, then how much sense does it make playing A.Sanchez through the center? Shouldn't he be playing on one of the wings instead?

Well the point of false 9 is to bring a centerback with that player and the runs of forwards like the ones you named and then the finishing takes advantage of these spaces.

We just didnt get this in the Madrid game.

In the Chelsa game, false 9 cannot work because Chelsea refuse to come out and chase..instead insisting on packing the final 3rd.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:44 pm

danyjr wrote:
The Franchise wrote:I am sorry, but Messi can no longer play on the flank. We doesnt have to work rate for it, he wont chase fullbacks and more importantly he wont run off the ball.

Btw great thread!

Aslong as Messi is pressing the center, then he is doing his job. He isnt supposed to be chasing fullbacks if he playing in the center.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:01 pm

He doesn't press the centre either. I swear I have seen Xavi pressing higher than Messi a lot these days. I wish someone could compare his average covered distance this season to last season.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Of course he didnt press as much this season than say Pep's first, however, dont make a mountain out of a molehill. In many games the pressing has been as good as always.

And Xavi, like sometimes Keita is, sometimes Iniesta is, can be the first midfielder out. This is normal part of pressing a back 4.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:08 pm

We'll know by mid-season next year whether my caution has been over the top or you missed what I am seeing now. Most agree that his work-rate has declined since previous seasons. That is not a molehill to me.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:31 pm

The Franchise wrote:
messixaviesta wrote:dani, fair enough. So doesn't that constrict us in terms of not being able to get the world's best strikers and finishers. The likes of Henry and Villa may be exceptions. Also I must mention here that if Messi is to be remain the false number 9, then how much sense does it make playing A.Sanchez through the center? Shouldn't he be playing on one of the wings instead?

Well the point of false 9 is to bring a centerback with that player and the runs of forwards like the ones you named and then the finishing takes advantage of these spaces.

We just didnt get this in the Madrid game.

In the Chelsa game, false 9 cannot work because Chelsea refuse to come out and chase..instead insisting on packing the final 3rd.

Yes that's true dani.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down