Is Cristiano Ronaldo back in contention to be the best player in the world?

+36
kiranr
McAgger
red&blacklegion
The Franchise
Luca
Dnmac4
Mr. Festim
AnJl
Cotes
DuringTheWar
Rebaño Sagrado
hrealmadrid
FennecFox7
Milanchenko
Körbl
Le Samourai
stunt
Albiceleste
Onyx
The Messiah
billionmillion
halamadrid2
izzy
Zealous
vivabarca38
Lord Hades
Lex
VanDeezNuts
JAY-Z
LeVersacci
paperbackwriter
adnyana179
BiasedMilanFan3
pUsHa
LeSwagg James
dwaynejohnson28
40 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Is Cristiano Ronaldo back in contention to be the best player in the world? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Cristiano Ronaldo back in contention to be the best player in the world?

Post by Albiceleste Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:30 pm

Mr. Festim wrote:He draged Real Madrid to our 32 La Liga tittle. He smashed his own Pichichi record of 40 goals and now has 42 goals plus 4 games left. So he'll be the Pichichi again this year.
Do you have a magical crystal ball you can see into the future with?

It's also funny seeing all these Madrid fans come out of the woodwork after they finally beat us. I wonder where these guys were in december hmm

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Is Cristiano Ronaldo back in contention to be the best player in the world? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Cristiano Ronaldo back in contention to be the best player in the world?

Post by LeVersacci Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:44 pm

Albiceleste wrote:
Mr. Festim wrote:He draged Real Madrid to our 32 La Liga tittle. He smashed his own Pichichi record of 40 goals and now has 42 goals plus 4 games left. So he'll be the Pichichi again this year.
Do you have a magical crystal ball you can see into the future with?

It's also funny seeing all these Madrid fans come out of the woodwork after they finally beat us. I wonder where these guys were in december hmm
Chillin in GL :coffee:
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:50 pm

billionmillion wrote:Ronaldo also lost balls more than 4-5 times and dived several times

pls dont talk about finishers in barca except messi there is no world class finisher. villa and pedro is injured. team missed 7-8 clear chances in last 2 games. Higuain is better finisher than Ronaldo himself, in barca nobody is close to messi at finishing let alone better than him. how can you complain about finishers

Messi also lost the ball that many times as well as dropping it back and not being very threatening for the most part.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:32 am

Some of you need to clarify what your saying.

The question is, is Ronaldo in contention for best player in the world? The answer to that is no, not even close. Messi is a better player and 1 win will not make up for 3 years of total domination. Head to head in the CL and League Messi has dominated where Ronaldo fair or unfair got a big game flop label which was pulled out again in his last competitive game before this one (Bayern) and then there national team performances are pretty much a wash.

If the question was is he in contention for WPOY then the answer is yes, he's the frontrunner.

You can win WPOY but that doesn't mean your the best player in the world, it means you had the best season. Jordan only won 6 MVP's and everyone knew who the best player was when he didn't win.

I think to surpass Messi that Ronaldo will have to win the CL and then if that happens he is WPOY IMO with out a doubt.

IF he doesn't and only wins La Liga then Messi will win it as I think some of you are forgetting that Barca will have gone through Madrid/Ronaldo for two trophies this year and have a way better head to head record.

Now for you people saying Ronaldo won Madrid La Liga yesterday and dragged you there etc shame on you. You guys won the league when you were 10 points up. Anyone with a brain in there head said the league was over even 75% of the sensible Barca fans and Pep.

It was a total team win for the trophy as that is how Mou gets his teams to play. The ones giving all the credit to Ronaldo are probably the ones taking the credit away from Messi and giving it to Xaviesta.

It couldn't be more hypcritical.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:51 am

Euros will be very important when determining WPOTY.

Honestly I wouldn't hesitate to give it to Casillas if we win the CL and then he goes on to win the Euros with Spain.

Of course there's the small matter of him being a keeper.

But I'd say Casillas has been more important than Ronaldo this season, well it's tough to be more important than a keeper, but Casillas deserves one of those and this is a year where he can potentially accumulate all the right things to win it.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:00 am

Le Samourai wrote:Euros will be very important when determining WPOTY.

Honestly I wouldn't hesitate to give it to Casillas if we win the CL and then he goes on to win the Euros with Spain.

Of course there's the small matter of him being a keeper.

But I'd say Casillas has been more important than Ronaldo this season, well it's tough to be more important than a keeper, but Casillas deserves one of those and this is a year where he can potentially accumulate all the right things to win it.

Well, Cristiano won it in 2008 (the last Euro). Even though Spain won the Euro.

In 2010, Messi won, even though Argentina did not have a good showing in South Africa.

CR could win it for 2012 but I wouldn't say the Euro will be absolute in deciding that because it just hasn't been in the past.

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:21 am

No, well, in 08 Xavi had a torrid season....

They could've given it to Marcos Senna to be honest he probably deserved it more...

10 was straight up robbery.

Messi shouldn't have been on the podium.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:24 am

I'm just saying, the Euro matters less than you think.

I mean, we can go further back
2004- Shevchenko
2000- Figo

This Euro could potentially matter but it won't absolutely decide the ballon d'or

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:26 am

In 08 Xavi was torrid...what? 08-09 the treble season? And then he went on to win the Euros?
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:31 am

The Franchise wrote:In 08 Xavi was torrid...what? 08-09 the treble season? And then he went on to win the Euros?

08- 09 treble season and then he went to Euro 08 hmm

Seems legit.

07-08 Xavi was torrid lol.

He said so himself.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:34 am

Luca wrote:I'm just saying, the Euro matters less than you think.

2004- Shevchenko
2000- Figo

This Euro could potentially matter but it won't absolutely decide the ballon d'or

I'm just saying if a player like Casillas wins everything Ronaldo does , then on top of that wins the Euro.

There isn't an argument in the world I can see for Cristiano.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:39 am

Im confused, clearly I got the dates mixed up.

I now get your talking about the final Rijkaard season yes?

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:40 am

Le Samourai wrote:
Luca wrote:I'm just saying, the Euro matters less than you think.

2004- Shevchenko
2000- Figo

Its tough for a keeper. I don't see Casillas getting that much recognition for Spain's success or for Real Madrid's. Just my opinion.

Not to mention, it would be a lot more difficult to say that Casillas has been the best player in 2012. I mean, strictly talking in terms of players, I don't see Casillas as a cut above other top keepers.

I see Ronaldo and Messi far ahead of other attackers
I'm just saying if a player like Casillas wins everything Ronaldo does , then on top of that wins the Euro.

There isn't an argument in the world I can see for Cristiano.

Its tough for a keeper. I don't see Casillas getting that much recognition for Spain's success or for Real Madrid's. Just my opinion.

Not to mention, it would be a lot more difficult to say that Casillas has been the best player in 2012. I mean, strictly talking in terms of players, I don't see Casillas as a cut above other top keepers.

I see Ronaldo and Messi far ahead of other attackers

But I see the overall point that you're making, we'll see if it comes true

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:42 am

The Franchise wrote:Im confused, clearly I got the dates mixed up.

I now get your talking about the final Rijkaard season yes?

Yea.

I'm not sure what's coming, but I'm not trying to offend Xavi in any way here.I'm just saying he had a bad season, a very bad season...
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:48 am

No Spanish player will ever win the Balon D'Or.

Raul and Xavi never won it, no point imo.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:50 am

No, was just confused with the year in connection with the Euro.

I think the last Rijkaard year, everyone more or less was crap minus a select few (Messi being one)

Xavi was deep, making passes..wasnt as important as he was post Rijkaard. That team was every bit as dependant on Ronaldinho as this one is for Messi..and Ronaldinho..well you saw what happened lol
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:53 am

As for the thread well I don't know what more Ronaldo has to do to get some recognition.

If Madrid win the CL he'll win the Balon D'Or easily.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:55 am

Xavi...never had a year to win it...it's sad honestly.

Raul..yea..

But on the criteria outlined in the past....If Casillas wins everything he can win....(other than the Copa) is the captain of both teams, and arguably the most important player on both ( not the most functionally important overall) but just relatively...

I mean..come on....what you're basically saying there is we don't like keepers so they can't win WPOTY.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:02 am

Iker might get top three which would be awesome because he deserves it but I doubt he will get that let alone win.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbackwriter Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:56 am

Zealous wrote:No Spanish player will ever win the Balon D'Or.

Raul and Xavi never won it, no point imo.

Muniain :bow:
paperbackwriter
paperbackwriter
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:10 am

paperbackwriter wrote:What really happened:
Messi made a run, had a bad touch and lost the ball. But Iniesta caught up with it. Backheeled it to Tello who had a shot, Casillas saved it. Adriano shoots on the rebound. Arbeloa blocks Adrianos shot. But Sanchez magically appear at the right moment to tap it home.

billionmillion:
"Messi created the Sanchez goal"

:facepalm:
you are facepalm cr fanboy. messi teared defence apart then there was 4 unmarked free barca players. why they were unmarked? because your defence was trying to get the ball from messi. after messi did difficult part of the job remaining part was easy - just shoot it
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:21 am

Messi owned CR at everything this season. You CR fanboys stop with knee-jerk threads

One goal doesnt change anything. CR was big game flop several times this season. You remember "Sell Ronaldo" threads? i can show you 3 of them that happened in this season. you were tired of him now you praise him like if won you the liga...................

he scored some important goals in last games. but its his task, your whole team, most importantly Mourinho is the reason you won La liga. CR is just scorer thanks to 11 penalties

Funny thing about football is that you score few important goals at the end of season and people say you won the league for the team :facepalm:
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by red&blacklegion Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:53 am

Ronaldo the best player in the world? how sad the world of futbal has become. I remember the years when Figo,Nedved,Ronaldo had to fight for Ballon D'or.
red&blacklegion
red&blacklegion
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:57 am

@billionmillion
Lol talk about delusional fanboys.

Both players have been carrying their respective teams in La Liga this season and there is no way you can bring in statistics or anything else to justify that one was better than the other. Since they've both been great, only thing that sets them apart is winning the title for their team, which CR managed to do thus making him marginally better than Messi for the season. Now go take a hike with your delusions.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 am

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:@billionmillion
Lol talk about delusional fanboys.

Both players have been carrying their respective teams in La Liga this season and there is no way you can bring in statistics or anything else to justify that one was better than the other. Since they've both been great, only thing that sets them apart is winning the title for their team, which CR managed to do thus making him marginally better than Messi for the season. Now go take a hike with your delusions.

I saw a stat in the Madrid forum which showed the team standings after removing the goals scored by Messi and Ronaldo. Madrid were still first.

So, objectively speaking, Ronaldo has not carried Madrid this year. Ronaldo is just the part of a phenomenal strike force that Madrid managed to assemble which is essentially what Barcelona do not have.

Messi has been better than Ronaldo this season, in my opinion, but if Barcelona do not manage to win silverware this season, the award will probably go to Ronaldo.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:20 am

Barca's don't have it because apparently, the best inside forwad in the world isn't good enough for your starting 11.

Tello , the broken record apparently is though.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next