Amar
Jamin
MJ
SamuelJayC
aleumdance
RealGunner
11 posters

Go down

Alex Song - Making of a Complete Midfielder Empty Alex Song - Making of a Complete Midfielder

Post by RealGunner Fri 30 Mar 2012, 21:15

Alex Song has never really done convention. Born into a family with 17 sisters and 10 brothers, he looked like being a thing of rarity for Arsène Wenger in 2006 – a duff buy from France. But in a new self-styled defensive midfield role, the effervescent Cameroonian has become one of the finest enforcers in the world.

Plucked from French minnows Bastia in 2005, Song may well have seemed like a classic Arsenal find, but few players have faced such a battle to make a career in north London, and tested Wenger’s faith in young talent quite so stringently.

Song intrigued Wenger as an athletic, versatile and notably mature defender at Bastia, but club scouts were unconvinced, uncertain that the cousin of legendary centre back Rigobert Song had the concentration to match the undeniable application and reach the top. Wenger was left to decide, and took a closer look during a trial in Austria, now almost seven years ago.

He would do enough, just. A season-long loan deal – something Arsenal hardly ever do – was agreed, and Song had his first big break. A number of reserve run outs and cameo first-team appearances later, and the Gunners paid £1million for his services on a permanent basis. Song had a long way to go, but his progress was duly rewarded.

Then, in November 2006, he had his chance. A rare start, away to Fulham, in the Premier League. It was an opportunity few ever get at Arsenal, a chance to show what they can do from the off, but in a nervous at best, petrified at worst, 45 minutes, Song hardly completed a pass, and was hauled off at half time. It was the type of failed audition few ever get the chance to repeat.

Arsenal went on to lose 2-1, and Song played only once more in the next two months, having lost Wenger’s faith. He needed to dig in, and after getting married to childhood sweetheart Olivia and having son Nolan, the then 18-year-old Song showed gritty steel on loan at Charlton, before returning to the Emirates and relaunching himself.

Far from being a fringe utility player, Song worked hard on the training field, listened more, and then reaped the rewards. His influence on the Arsenal team has grown year-on-year since, silencing the boo boys with a bullish, simple, no-nonsense approach to midfield skirmishes, showing signs of a blossoming potential.

Yet it was the summer sale of foil and chief creator Cesc Fàbregas that has really brought out the best Song, with a partnership alongside the controlled and experienced Mikel Arteta, proving that two heads are better than one, and firing Arsenal from 17th to third in the table, with seven straight wins.

Song has continued his tough tackling, aggressive and defensive midfield work, contrary to popular belief still averaging around three key tackles and 2.5 interceptions per game as he has for the last three seasons. But rotating with Arteta, he has developed an unexpected but valuable new creative side, putting him in league with most dangerous players in Europe.

This season, Song has already racked up a whopping 13 assists, and averages the highest number of accurate through passes in the Premier League, with 0.7 per game – ironically the same as former team-mate Fàbregas at Barcelona. His ability to drift from deep positions and find killer passes has given Arsenal a new cutting edge.

All in all, Song is far from the finished product. He must improve his disciplinary record, and occasionally he over complicates things, but in an age where more and more is expected of the central midfielder, the 24-year-old is leading the way for a new type of modern holding player, combing defence and attack to maximum effect.

There will always be those who still remain cynical of his casual style and ever-changing hair, but having battled back from fringe centre back to defensive and creative midfield extraordinaire, few can argue that Alex Song’s range of abilities and contribution make him anything but one of the best in the world at his job.

Jamie Sanderson, Life is a pitch

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Alex Song - Making of a Complete Midfielder Empty Re: Alex Song - Making of a Complete Midfielder

Post by aleumdance Fri 30 Mar 2012, 22:01

I would like to see if Wenger gives him the "cesc" role next season

we get M'Villa to play true DM

that would be awesome
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Alex Song - Making of a Complete Midfielder Empty Re: Alex Song - Making of a Complete Midfielder

Post by SamuelJayC Fri 30 Mar 2012, 22:03

Love reading Jamie Sanderson's work. Honoured to be followed by him on twitter.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri 30 Mar 2012, 22:03

Great post. Loved it.

I love his story, shows his work rate is top notch, something which is obvious from his play. Whenever he gets the ball this season you can tell that he's always scanning the defense for cracks to exploit, he's developed that killer instinct that is invaluable in a team that lost a key playmaker. I wonder how hard people would have laughed had someone predicted him becoming this kind of played.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamin Sat 31 Mar 2012, 00:56

It's a fairytale story for him and I honestly believe that he will remain an Arsenal player until he retires. Great player, one of my favourite.
Jamin
Jamin
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

http://twitter.com/#!/J_Amin94

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Sat 31 Mar 2012, 01:06

Jamin wrote:It's a fairytale story for him and I honestly believe that he will remain an Arsenal player until he retires. Great player, one of my favourite.

for what he has passed through, I don't think he would leave..

and the fans Love him, some players seem quite content with what they have

aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Sat 31 Mar 2012, 01:08

How far he has come, I remember how dreadful he was in his early games, but soon made this remarkable improvement that no one saw coming.

He went from a clumsy, slow player, into an athletic, intelligent beast in the middle of the park.
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Sat 31 Mar 2012, 01:11

I still remember first half of 2008/09 season anytime Song was in the starting eleven all the Gooners would curse Wenger

but by January that season everything Changed, just changed..it was like we signed a new player
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat 31 Mar 2012, 06:20

''I am at the right club. Forget Barcelona, Arsenal is the best club. Arsenal have given me everything and I love this place. If I had to leave I would break down and cry. It's still my dream to win the league here." -Alex Song
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by boss Sat 31 Mar 2012, 10:57

hey RG thnx 4da post m8....woww
Born into a family with 17 sisters and 10 brothers
A True Legend Family :bow: are his brothers talented ? We could sign 5of em at least :idea: just imagine Arsenal fans -singing songs 4SONG's !bummmmmm

boss
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat 31 Mar 2012, 11:07

Hahaha, Boss, best signature EVER Alex Song - Making of a Complete Midfielder 1499845164
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat 31 Mar 2012, 13:16

Great article! Thumbs up

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sat 31 Mar 2012, 14:06

next objective:Alex Van Songsie Razz
Scoring 15 goals a season
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sat 31 Mar 2012, 18:33

Needs to stop trying them hollywood passes all the time, it doesn't work all the time Song Rolling Eyes
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Sat 31 Mar 2012, 18:41

gunnerlistick wrote:Needs to stop trying them hollywood passes all the time, it doesn't work all the time Song Rolling Eyes

i know he gets a fair amount of assists, but i have no idea why song isnt told to stay DEFENDING, and let arteta be the one to play attacking passes.
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat 31 Mar 2012, 18:54

Once a great man said "If you eat caviar every day it's difficult to return to sausages."
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sat 31 Mar 2012, 18:57

Diego Armando Maradona wrote:
gunnerlistick wrote:Needs to stop trying them hollywood passes all the time, it doesn't work all the time Song Rolling Eyes

i know he gets a fair amount of assists, but i have no idea why song isnt told to stay DEFENDING, and let arteta be the one to play attacking passes.

Don't think Arteta has the vision to do it, he is good at moving the ball and defending. Thats about it really
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Sat 31 Mar 2012, 19:15

Yeah, well ideally the AM should be the one playing through balls, with the central holding player/box to box player supporting him, not the centre defensive player. Song is a defensive mid but hes been playing as a box to box mid, meaning his midfield partner is pinned back in defence. Last season wilshere had to waste so much attacking potential covering for songs runs forward, now its arteta. Song may be able to play a pass, but i would rather see wilshere/arteta be the one to support attack as their decision making is far better
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sat 31 Mar 2012, 20:00

I hope Wenger doesn't do the same thing when Jack and Diaby are fit
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Mon 16 Apr 2012, 23:04

Kudos to him, this guy had to do everything today....run, tackle and create.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down