If you were to retire one number at the club, who's number would you retire?

+5
BarcaKizz
bazinga
shinigami99
danyjr
Yeezus
9 posters

Go down

If you were to retire one number at the club, who's number would you retire? Empty If you were to retire one number at the club, who's number would you retire?

Post by Yeezus Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:08 pm

When a player has his number retired, the club and fans honor the extraordinary service that player has provided to that club. It is originally never re-issued or re-worn by another player unless the player or club decides otherwise.

I decided to bring this topic towards FC Barcelona, because in these days and in this FC Barcelona ruled era, there are many, many players who have been realized as true superstars and heroes of the sport. If you were in charge of the club and had to pick a current player's number to be retired, who would it be?

5. Carles Puyol "Captain Tarzan": Our eternal captain. The heart and soul of FC Barcelona. He can do anything in the final line of the pitch, attack and defend like a lion. A player with extreme workrate, and most importantly, a player who leaves it all on the battlefield. A true warrior that embodies FC Barcelona.

6. Xavi Hernandez "Kaleidoscope Eyes": The little man who has a big influence on how we play. He sets the tone of our game, controls the tempo and has the vision of a psychic. Never seems to make errors when controlling the ball or playing the ball across the park.

8: Andres Iniesta "Illusionista": The bulldozer in the midfield; the man who's control of the ball is unmatched. Sharpens our attacking blade everytime he steps on the field. Always looking to dance with his markers and lay if off to his mates. He's the go to guy when we need a goal or improvement, he will get the job done. Also, the man who won Spain the world cup.

10. Lionel Messi "Messiah": The unstoppable force of the team. En route to becoming Barca's best ever scorer, and the world's best ever player. Just needs to win a little trophy. When he is on his top level, he is the hardest spark to contain, and will leave the world in awe for days.

Yeezus
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

If you were to retire one number at the club, who's number would you retire? Empty Re: If you were to retire one number at the club, who's number would you retire?

Post by danyjr Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:48 pm

23: Oleguer Laughing
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

If you were to retire one number at the club, who's number would you retire? Empty Re: If you were to retire one number at the club, who's number would you retire?

Post by shinigami99 Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:49 pm

This is actually a very hard question to answer.

I would say the 10 because by the time Messi's career is finished(provided he keeps up his galactic form and he stays at Barca), he would have done so much that anybody who wears the 10 afterwards would have too much of a space to fill.

I fear that the pressure of the shirt would get to whoever our subsequent "replacement" for Messi would be. That would not be ideal for both the player and the club
shinigami99
shinigami99
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by bazinga Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:00 pm

Nobody will ever come close to contributing what Messi has while wearing the number 10. I just don't see it happening. I don't think any player we get will be worthy of that shirt.
bazinga
bazinga
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 pm

I think retiring numbers is kind of stupid actually. Id rather watch later players wear my number with pride, leave a legacy, pass the history on. Once you start retiring numbers, where do you stop? I'm happy LFP doesn't allow it, and I hope they stay by that.

Besides all those numbers listed are important numbers, you can't just stop using a number 10 at a football club. The number has too much history.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:28 pm

BarcaKizz wrote:I think retiring numbers is kind of stupid actually. Id rather watch later players wear my number with pride, leave a legacy, pass the history on. Once you start retiring numbers, where do you stop? I'm happy LFP doesn't allow it, and I hope they stay by that.

Besides all those numbers listed are important numbers, you can't just stop using a number 10 at a football club. The number has too much history.

I agree, actually, every one of 6, 8, and 10 are important numbers, maybe not 6 that much- but 8 and 10 are historically very popular numbers. Too much history, and it cuts down on the decent numbered shirts people can be wearing.

I'd rather see a star player of Barca in 20 years playing with #10 than with #16 or something because he had nothing else to wear. Exaggeration? Yes, but the point is made Smile

I agree with Kizz though, I don't want any numbers retired, people need to be able to pass on the legacy- just as Ronaldinho did with Messi. The great Ronaldinho's days were coming to an end and when he was sold, Messi took the jersey with his heart and the 10 stayed magic.

I'm sure many players also don't care that much for retired numbers. It's a nice tribute but...I don't know about it. If your a legend people will know you and will honor you for it. Just as Cruyff is today. The #14 isn't retired (at either Ajax or Barca?) but he holds the legacy of it.

Except for those people that think of Henry first when they think of #14...lololol
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Retiring numbers is not allowed in the Spanish league. That being said there are ways to get around it. For example, the "retired" number could be used as the number for the 3rd choice keeper.

#4 for Guardiola, perhaps.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:11 am

I disagree with the idea as well....these low numbers are elemental to any team and we gotta consider the future teams as well....if we did this the future teams' no. 10, 6, 4, etc would need to find other numbers Laughing
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooony Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:44 am

Retiring a number is stupid. Footballers thrive on wearing numbers of legends and trying their luck at greatness.

Talking about numbers. Anyone remember Zamarano playing for Inter wearing 8+1 cause I think it was Ronaldo who got the no 9 shirt?
Spooony
Spooony
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:10 am

He played 1+8, Zamorano was number 9 before Inter signed Ronaldo. It was officially number 18 though.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooony Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:26 am

danyjr wrote:He played 1+8, Zamorano was number 9 before Inter signed Ronaldo. It was officially number 18 though.
Yip. But the little + sign in there was funny in the respect how they improvise to make footballers
Spooony
Spooony
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down