jibers
Aensensen
RealGunner
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

AS Monaco - The real club in crisis Empty AS Monaco - The real club in crisis

Post by RealGunner Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:53 pm

Question of the Day: What does it actually mean to be a club in “crisis” in modern football? Is it two losses in a row? Possibly two outgoing transfers at just an inopportune time? I’m a pretty educated guy and know my way around the English language, but I am almost certain the unnecessarily used word of “crisis” is currently not matching up to its dictionary definition.

Fans, media and even players alike commonly abuse the word as if there is no other substitute when describing a struggling club. Arsenal surely was in a deep, dark place back in early September when the historic club failed to supply its fans with the plentiful points that they were used to, but did anyone really think the Gunners weren’t going to save themselves? Surely, a disappointing season could have been predicted by even an optimistic Gooner like myself, but doesn’t a crisis imply a chaotic experience that signifies a massive turning point? I could see one or two bad years in the Gunners forecast back in September, but to label Arsenal as ready to go through the horrific transformation that the word “crisis” implies would be silly.

With their prestige, money and fan base, everyone in the back of their minds knew that Arsenal wasn’t going anywhere in the long run, but merely taking an uncomfortable, unexpected detour. They were not in a crisis and, like many other teams in this world, did not deserve the label that seems to be tossed around for sport by anyone who can have an opinion in modern day football.

I ask that we spare ourselves the sanity and save the word for clubs that actually need your attention. Clubs where a downward turning point is relevant, and complete disaster can be seen at the end of the tunnel. Clubs that would dream of a simple detour, but instead are lost and have no map to guide them out. Clubs in crisis. Clubs like AS Monaco.

or those of you who aren’t avid French football fans, hopefully the name sounds familiar. It may have been a while since the club last perked up on your radar, but for the next few minutes, here’s your unofficial guide to its last decade to keep you up to date. You can thank me later.

Let’s pick up in the 2004 Champions League final. Monaco, led by skipper Didier Deschamps and star Ludovic Giuly, went on a miraculous cup run, beating the likes of Lokomotiv Moscow, Real Madrid, and Chelsea to earn a bid into the Champions League final against Cinderella story Porto.

Both teams were underdogs and both teams had the whole world at the palm of their hands. The publicity, prestige and worldwide recognition received by playing in such a game should have been a turning point for both clubs looking to make the next step in European football. Monaco outshot and out-possessed their opponents, yet after an early injury to Giuly, the club lost its rhythm and offensive structure. With a lack of creativity and imagination to ease the roster transition, the club struggled to get back on its feet and eventually lost 3-0 to their Portuguese opponents.

Fast forward seven years later and the club currently lies dead last in Ligue 2, with just one win to show for in 18 league games. The team is also 18th in Ligue 2 attendance with just an average of 4,455 "diehards" showing up to support their once lovable club. This club is in a crisis, not Arsenal.

How did this all happen? Well, a series of legitimate financial problems and mistakes have undoubtedly plagued the club to a devastating degree. After the 2003 season, the club was threatened to be sent down to Ligue 2 due to an enormously large debt and a dearth of investors. The club found a way to convince the French Football Federation of their stability, yet frequent coaching changes (six in four years) and lack of constant money flow (causing the departure of top talents such as Jerome Rothen, Dado Prso, and Ludovic Giuly) inevitably proved the club was heading in the wrong direction. The poor foundation that tormented the club from within caused top young prospects that had uplifted the club just a decade earlier, such as Thierry Henry, to avoid the club altogether in favor of more stable options. Everything that had made AS Monaco such a strong contender just a few years before had all but evaporated, and the city moved on without it.

The common question of “Would you support your club if they were bad?” comes up quite often in general soccer conversation. Of course, every confident, seemingly loyal fan answers with an immediate “Yes” without even thinking about the real life situation. Simply put, Monaco fans did not hold up their end of the bargain.

First things first, the club was never Manchester United, bringing in crowds and crowds of fans to fill up the bleachers from top to bottom (after all, Monaco has only 1/18th the population of Wyoming, and most of the homeowners don’t even live in the city year round), but the support has been declining ever since the club started experiencing significant problems. Just a little over 4,000 on average show up to see their hometown team play on the weekends, a number almost 1/3 of that when ASM was at its peak. Monaco may not be the most populated city in the world, but the attendance clearly shows the fans were there and now aren’t. Unless the migration patterns of Monaco have changed in the last couple of years, I suspect the ultimate sin of a soccer fan in turning your back on a struggling club has to the utmost degree been fulfilled since 2007. Did Arsenal go through a 60% decrease in support during their crisis period? Team support was tested but always there for the Gunners.

Monaco’s problems are evidently on a different level. A smaller city, a less competitive league and weak management—it is no wonder why AS Monaco’s support is down. It was the perfect storm to devastate a football club. A perfect storm for a crisis.

Where do they go from here? The prestigious club that has produced some of the greatest living legends is now desperately trying to simply stay relevant in their country, much less European football. Just like how the team struggled to find creative ideas to get their backs off the wall in the 2004 Champions League Final when Giuly went down and the investors pulled out early in the process of something special, the club simply couldn't find the motivation or right combination to solve the problem. It is obvious for Monaco that the crisis "turning point" has occurred. With a miniscule fan base and an enormous debt, one does have to wonder whether European Football will ever be graced with AS Monaco’s presence ever again.

Until then, we play the blame game.

Maybe fans were a little too quick to jump ship once things started going down hill.

Maybe management could have utilized the Champions league opportunity better and used the money more wisely for the better of the club.

Maybe Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and every other club’s problems that we so aimlessly complain about aren’t so devastating after all.

Should we all count our blessings next time we want to use the word “crisis” when describing our club?

Source
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

AS Monaco - The real club in crisis Empty Re: AS Monaco - The real club in crisis

Post by Aensensen Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:13 am

Good point, and a good thread. Cannot imagine how long it took to put it together. Kudos for that.

As for Monaco, yes, their story is an absolute horror. I think clubs and football associations just don't have enough of planing in their heads. Every club should have a visionary, a man with a 20+ year plan, a guy who has a plan B, C, D and E! But they have to have a goal and a vison - otherwise they can be left to drift in the cruel ocean of economy and failures.

Remember Leeds United. Same thing. How is that possible. Maybe a selfish owner, or weak club base (in tearms of what that club represents - club values should be the stone on which you build your club).

You have to have a strong base - so you can build on it, if you know what you represent - then it's easier to get what you want. That's my opinion.
Aensensen
Aensensen
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

AS Monaco - The real club in crisis Empty Re: AS Monaco - The real club in crisis

Post by jibers Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:17 am

Sad to read stories like this. Sort of puts things in perspective. Just annoys me that We go and throw away money at players like Bebe when stuff like this is happeneing. Good post. srs.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Aensensen Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:45 am

It's amazing how posts like this get ignored by majority (there's so much of different opinions people could give on this subject, and none worse than the other). Just goes to show how people actualy care more about trolling and fighting.

sigh
Aensensen
Aensensen
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Verminator Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:26 am

I'm surprised that i'm the first one to 1+ you RG. Great post.
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:11 am

Really good read, important point about the kneejerking.

Can you include the souce?
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Yeah, Monaco have been on a downward spiral. Monaco never had much of a fanbase TBH.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Monaco was bought by Russian oligarch few weeks ago, calm down
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:35 pm

chinomaster182 wrote:Really good read, important point about the kneejerking.

Can you include the souce?

it's already there, look below the last line
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:45 pm

I was shocked when they went down. I was even more shocked when I last checked and seen them rock bottom of ligue 2.

I was certain they would bounce back up but I think if they go to division 3 then they will stay in the lower divisions for a long time.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:50 am

Bump.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:03 am

we should give them Park Chu-Young back since we dont play him.

in all seriousness though, that piece was a good read. sad to see the club falter like that. hopefully they can bounce back if they were indeed bought by a russian oligarch
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:05 am

They lost a cup games tonight, 4-3 Sad

Last in Ligue 2, third division awaits them, the way down is a painful one
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by JAY-Z Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:49 am

They are a cute team though, dunno i've always had a soft spot for Monaco.

Somebody said they have a Russian owner, is that true? He should work his magic than!
JAY-Z
JAY-Z
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by S Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:57 pm

In December 2011, two-thirds of the club was sold to an investment group led by Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev.

Dint know this actually..Explains that hefty sum splashed on Lucas Ocampos.A whopping €16m on an 18 year old teenager.

Poor man's PSG ?
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:51 am

Leading Ligue 2 after 15 games cheers Hopefully they get promoted.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm

First time i see this thread and it's a very interesting one. Good one RG.

Of course the word is misused. But that's football today , having some slumps and some bad days and there it is , crisis. Monaco is a prime example of a club being in crisis , their downfall since the 2004 has been meteoric .

Such a shame because their stadium was and is one of the most unique and most beautiful around Europe. I don't care about Monaco , but i will most certainly love to see Milan play Monaco again in the Stade Luis one day in the CL.

Something last about what the word crisis means. Take for instance the Greek club A.E.K athens. Numerous economical problems and awful past managements lead to them playing their whole B team this season due to no resourses for transfers or at least respectable contracts for experienced players . They've been awfuly bad , close to relegation , which was never the case for them . They ve been losing and drawing everywhere , just a win here and there.

Just an indication of how bad things are for them right now , their top scorer hasn't even finished high school yet Laughing Laughing And all of this , after years of mediocrity in the league . They used to own their stadium but they demolished it because it was old , so to build a new one and now they don't even have money for wages Laughing

CRISIS people , crisis written all over . Liverpool has been leaving the dream compared to them and Monaco and i am sure other clubs which i don't know enough to comment.
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Monaco are rich kids now, I wish them good luck and I hope they can challenge for Ligue 1 sooner rather than later.

Would be good to watch PsG, Lyon, Marsielle and Monaco scrapping it out.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:51 pm

They have a real gem of a player in Lucas Ocampos.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:13 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:They have a real gem of a player in Lucas Ocampos.

Yeah he was the major signing with the new money wasn't he?
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:53 pm

I think they got him for 12M or so, iirc. Looks like he hasn't played that much but he was signed as a 17 year old.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:57 pm

Does AS Monaco even have a decent fanbase? Monaco has only 35k population...
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:00 pm

TomJuve wrote:Monaco are rich kids now.

Laughing tbf Monaco has always been the rich kids playground tbh.

Makes sense for its football club to fall in line.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:40 pm

Yeah it always surprised me how they're based in a place where Billionnaires meet up on boats and party the fkn night away and they weren't rolling in the $$$.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:49 am

Still leading Ligue 2, now after 21 games. cheers
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next