dostoevsky
The Nature Boy
pasquale22
Smidhofer
11 posters

Go down

The Old Lady Empty The Old Lady

Post by Smidhofer Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:07 am

I am very very very sorry for my ignorance!!! I am from Slovenija and I am cherring for Juventus since age of 6! I heard the expression "Old Lady" countless times but I never knew what is this nickname reffering to! (is this only a nickname or does it mean anything) I understaind if you want to linch, punch, hit, kick or even kill me Very Happy But for God`s sake - can you please explain me where does this nickname come from!? Most of the time i watch Juventus on internet stream with Italian commentators and I don`t understand a thing so i really don`t know the origin of this fraze - on internet it just says thats a nickname - is that really all it is?? Suspect Suspect confused confused
Smidhofer
Smidhofer
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

The Old Lady Empty Re: The Old Lady

Post by Smidhofer Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:11 am

P.S.

I am sorry if this topic was allready posted!
Smidhofer
Smidhofer
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by pasquale22 Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:33 am

Welcome mate Smile we are the old lady of Italian football. An expression
pasquale22
pasquale22
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Nature Boy Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:38 am

Welcome friend, thanks for shqring... It's just an expression, a nick make referring to the Italian people love for juventus... The old lady, la fidanzata d'italia... All affectionate names for Juve
The Nature Boy
The Nature Boy
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Smidhofer Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:01 am

thats it? now I am disapointed Smile Thank you anywayz Smile
Smidhofer
Smidhofer
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:38 am

The city of Torino was once invaded by the armies of King Moratticus, a Barbarian chief from the dreaded North, who laid seige to the city, devastating its buildings, enslaving its people and melting all its gold to make a dreaded throne which was encrusted with jewels and the trophies of his enemies.

Years passed and the people suffered, and the once beautiful bride of the city's king, now rendered hideous by the cruelty of his rule and the passage of time lay in his dungeons, crying and alone, remembering the good old days of Alexander. One night though, she heard whispers from the opposite room, where Atomicus, the bold hero, second cousin of Alexander, once removed, of the family Giovincus, had gained access to the fortress, slipping unnoticed through the legs of Moratticus' guard, a tall, hulking giant they simply called The Frog. He unlocked the cage of the now Old Lady, who tasting the sweet air of freedom, became filled with passion and stormed through the castle, slaying Moratticus and freeing the city of Torino. The city was thankful to the Old Lady and she became godmother to good King Atomicus.

You said you were disappointed with their explanation, so that was mine :coffee:
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoBo Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:17 am

During its history, the club has acquired a number of nicknames, la Vecchia Signora[1] (the Old Lady) being the best example. The "old" part of the nickname is a pun on Juventus which means "youth" in Latin.[4] It was derived from the age of the Juventus star players towards the middle of 1930s. The "lady" part of the nickname is how fans of the club affectionately referred to it before the 1930s. The club is also nicknamed la Fidanzata d'Italia (the Girlfriend of Italy), because over the years it has received a high level of support from Southern Italian immigrant workers (particularly from Naples and Palermo), who arrived in Turin to work for FIAT since the 1930s. Other nicknames include; i bianconeri (the black-and-whites), le zebre (the zebras[55]) in reference to Juventus' colors and i gobbi (the hunchbacks), because "old ladies" usually have hunched backs.
BoBo
BoBo
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Welcome to the forums bro!
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Smidhofer wrote:I am very very very sorry for my ignorance!!! I am from Slovenija and I am cherring for Juventus since age of 6! I heard the expression "Old Lady" countless times but I never knew what is this nickname reffering to! (is this only a nickname or does it mean anything) I understaind if you want to linch, punch, hit, kick or even kill me Very Happy But for God`s sake - can you please explain me where does this nickname come from!? Most of the time i watch Juventus on internet stream with Italian commentators and I don`t understand a thing so i really don`t know the origin of this fraze - on internet it just says thats a nickname - is that really all it is?? Suspect Suspect confused confused

Slovenac a ? Smile pa dobro je i to imati tu dobrodoso

Welcome my slovenian bro Smile

Its because in that period Juventsu was most successful club with trophies and history and they call it Old Lady
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:26 pm

La Vecchia Signoria
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:08 pm

:facepalm:

Very few responses were actually correct. :coffee:
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:14 pm

JuvenelCuore wrote::facepalm:

I dont understand why you even bother to post this if you didnt even contribute. you could have at least included which were incorrect. Instead of posting this post which is virtually useless (and again, comes off with a tone of arrogance), why dont you just post the answer to the guys question....
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by juve_gigi Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:42 am

The_ItalianFool wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote::facepalm:

I dont understand why you even bother to post this if you didnt even contribute. you could have at least included which were incorrect. Instead of posting this post which is virtually useless (and again, comes off with a tone of arrogance), why dont you just post the answer to the guys question....

Agreed. Nick, please post the correct answer as I know you probably have more experience at this than the rest of us since you were born and raised in Torino. I kinda know the story but haven't spent alot of time doing the research on this as it goes back to the 19th century.
juve_gigi
juve_gigi
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:03 am

At the very least try to research it before answering or do not rely on what you think or Wikipedia is all I am trying to say. :coffee:
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotes Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:13 am

Welcome Man!
Juve have alot of nick names other from the old lady such as:
The Girlfriend of Italy
Bianconeri (Black & White) = say no to racism Very Happy
The Zebras
& the one of my own: INTER'S WORSE NIGHTMARE Very Happy
Cotes
Cotes
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by juve_gigi Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:17 am

JuvenelCuore wrote:At the very least try to research it before answering or do not rely on what you think or Wikipedia is all I am trying to say. :coffee:

You are correct, that is why I asked on your expertise since you were born and raised in Torino bro. Is there another answer other than what was stated or was it already explained by other posters??
juve_gigi
juve_gigi
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:58 am

Enlighten us
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Smidhofer Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:07 am

JuvenelCuore:

I am following 5 topics and on every topic you have much to speak about, but nothing smart to say....I asked for the background of the nickname "The Old Lady", but if you do not feel like sharing, don`t even bother to write and start creating bad mood (again).

You have topic....and you have question....I got many answers, if you do not want to answer just go to some other topic...

No hard feeling man - PEACE
Smidhofer
Smidhofer
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down