McAgger
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Fahim89
BeautifulGame
nj
28 posters

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Summer Silly Season: Official Thread - Page 34 Empty Re: Summer Silly Season: Official Thread

Post by nj Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:56 pm

donttreadonred wrote: I'm warming to Downing as a good wide option.
mr-r34 wrote:If we don't get Mata, and we lost out on young, and we know theirs no chance of getting Johnson, who is there to get? Downing.
what i expect from this transfer window concerning the wingers is: 1 "marquee" winger, and another one for the squad depth.

and tbh i would consider Downing as a squad player.

and my wishes for the marquee signing would be (in order):
1-Mata (Valencia have reduced their debts, but are still 350mil in debt if im not mistaken, so i think a very good offer would tempt them. and he said he was happy at Valencia, but thats not ruling out 100% a move neither)
2-Johnson (not unrealistic if City buy Mata or any other big attacking player, Johnson would seek 1st team action elsewhere for sure)
3-Turan (its weird, not once we've been linked to him this summer, but maybe thats were the surprise lays, you know: behind the scenes and all that Wink. and maybe if Kenny sees its difficult to snap others targets, and knowing hes and lfc fan on the cheap, then maybe well go for him. for now hes only rumoured to Chelsea)

thats the 3 popping out of my head at this moment.
the others (ala Downing, Nzogbia....) are all good and would make good squad players, but i would be very disapointed if they came straight in our starting XI as the marquee singings

nj
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Summer Silly Season: Official Thread - Page 34 Empty Re: Summer Silly Season: Official Thread

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:00 am

I would take Downing over Adam johnson any day of the week.Johnson is hugely overrated.He hardly been consistently good through out a match let alone a season.He is also one trick pony isn't double footed and defenders are have found out now IMO.Will only be good as a impact sub.

He is just another SWP in the making.Everyone said the same about SWP until he moved to city 2nd time and was exposed.Heck i would even take N'Zogbia ahead of Johnson.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:23 am

well i presume downing is the most probable option for us in the wings. . but i guess all we can do now is keep our hopes up & trust the behind the door philosophy . . plus this Monday is again put as a day Adam might become a red. . if so i presume something would be heard today . .
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:55 am

BeautifulGame wrote:I would take Downing over Adam johnson any day of the week.Johnson is hugely overrated.He hardly been consistently good through out a match let alone a season.He is also one trick pony isn't double footed and defenders are have found out now IMO.Will only be good as a impact sub.

He is just another SWP in the making.Everyone said the same about SWP until he moved to city 2nd time and was exposed.Heck i would even take N'Zogbia ahead of Johnson.

You don't know what you're talking about... Suspect
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:01 am

ynwa wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:I would take Downing over Adam johnson any day of the week.Johnson is hugely overrated.He hardly been consistently good through out a match let alone a season.He is also one trick pony isn't double footed and defenders are have found out now IMO.Will only be good as a impact sub.

I certainly know what i am talking about.Name me a single season in which Johnson had a good season?
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:21 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
ynwa wrote:

I certainly know what i am talking about.Name me a single season in which Johnson had a good season?

How do you compare Johnson to SWP if City don't even trust SWP to play when Johnson is out injured? SWP will be sold this window, and Adam will be fighting for the title with Manc City next year... and he'll be in the starting XI.

To your one foot logic, is Robben a crap player? He does the same move every week (keep in mind this is the same move as this 'overrated' Johnson btw...) and people have known of this style for a while now. Doesn't stop Arjen. Hasn't stopped Adam.

But please, tell me how he is "overrated." He's England's best winger at the moment, and he's easily been City's best winger all year. He was injured for half the season too.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:10 am

ynwa wrote:
How do you compare Johnson to SWP if City don't even trust SWP to play when Johnson is out injured? SWP will be sold this window, and Adam will be fighting for the title with Manc City next year... and he'll be in the starting XI.

To your one foot logic, is Robben a crap player? He does the same move every week (keep in mind this is the same move as this 'overrated' Johnson btw...) and people have known of this style for a while now. Doesn't stop Arjen. Hasn't stopped Adam.

But please, tell me how he is "overrated." He's England's best winger at the moment, and he's easily been City's best winger all year. He was injured for half the season too.

I said SWP of Chelsea where everyone said he is a great winger.He was fighting for titles at chelsea albeit from bench just like Johnson is at city

Robben has been excellent for years and proved year in year out.Not every single footed winger can become Robben.He is an exception not the norm.

He isnt England's best winger that is Ashley Young followed by walcott and Downing.He didnt start for City regularly even when fit he is a bit part player for them.Where do u get he this City's best winger when they don't even play with a winger regularly?

He started 15 games this season and 14 last season.He also wasn't injured for half the the season atmost 2 months just that he wasn't a starter made his absence look longer.He was injured at the end of january and returned mid march.That's certainly not half a season lay off as far as i know.

He is already 23 has he ever played 20 PL games in a season? NO
. Has ever a good player not even played 20 league games once in a season at the age of 23?

I am asking this simple question ? Name me a single season in which Johnson had a good season?

I will agree he is a quality player when he atleast has good season and played atleast 30 league games in a season not when living on hype.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:16 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
Where do u get he this City's best winger when they don't even play with a winger regularly?

You accept that City does not play with a winger yet you put forward the question of him not playing games in the PL? scratch

And Only Walcott and Bale are better Johnson in the PL.
And he isnt over hyped, he performs when he called into service, A reason why he and everybody wonders why he is still at Man City even though he does what they need in every game bar the 3-0 defeat at Anfield.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:33 am

BeautifulGame wrote:I would take Downing over Adam johnson any day of the week.
good for you.
i guess it takes all kind to make a world.

but for me Downing is basically a Riera with a wee more pace,
whereas as said Pooi, Johnson has a similar style to Robben, and is potentially the best winger in the country.
nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:38 am

Nishank wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:
Where do u get he this City's best winger when they don't even play with a winger regularly?

You accept that City does not play with a winger yet you put forward the question of him not playing games in the PL? scratch

And Only Walcott and Bale are better Johnson in the PL.
And he isnt over hyped, he performs when he called into service, A reason why he and everybody wonders why he is still at Man City even though he does what they need in every game bar the 3-0 defeat at Anfield.

I was saying they hardly plays with wingers so its not a great compliment saying he is their best winger.The only other winger they have in their squad is SWP.Its nothing great to be better than SWP.

And Young is superior to both Walcott(IMO) and Bale (certainly).I would also take the likes of Downing and N'Zogbia ahead of him easily.

He was pretty anonymous in half the matches he started for city last season.Thats why he couldn't cement himself in the starting XI ahead of volatile Boletelli(sp?) even when Mancini was desperate for someone to replace Boletelli after his EL craziness.

As i already asked has ever a good player not even played 20 league games once in a season at the age of 23?Name me another single good player who failed to play even 20 league games at the AGE OF 24.The way everyone is talking about his potential as if he is 18 or 19.

I will agree he is a quality player when he atleast has had good season and played atleast 30 league games in a season not when living on hype.

The perfect definition of an overhyped English player.

Last edited by BeautifulGame on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:50 am

nj wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:I would take Downing over Adam johnson any day of the week.
good for you.
i guess it takes all kind to make a world.

but for me Downing is basically a Riera with a wee more pace,

Downing for me is someone with more pace,more intelligence,better on the ball,better cross and FAR BETTER consistency.Basically better all round player easily.Only thing i would say Riera is better is work rate and tackling.Admittedly Downing buckles out of tackles often.

nj wrote:

whereas as said Pooi, Johnson has a similar style to Robben, and is potentially the best winger in the country.

Potentially ? He will be 24 when season starts not 18 or 19.

Walcott who is 2 years (nearly) younger has got more goals and assists in the league in this season than Johnson had got in his entire career.

As i asked what has Johnson done in his career to say he is a quality player as Pooi has said?
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:05 am

BeautifulGame wrote:

As i already asked has ever a good player not even played 20 league games once in a season at the age of 23?
actually this is not true: in 2009/2010 when he moved from middlesbrough to City, he 1st played 24 games in championship and then 14 in PL in the same season.

but i agree on the fact that the others season he didnt played enough games.
the thing is, you make it sound like its because he isnt good enough to play more or smtg,
whereas its mainly because of injuries.

and at city its because of injuries and Mancini, who will prefer the physical players. (Silva being the only exception).

but i believe it is smtg you can work on, especially with our medical staff.

and i understand you can dismiss a player for his injuries (in this case its true hes quite injurie prone, i havent payed much more attention to that before), but when it reach a level where you says Downing and Nzogbia (players who still plays in middle table/poor clubs at 27/25)are better, i take you may have smtg else against the player.

and at your question: "what has he done to say he is a quality player?": erm what have Downing & Nzogbia done to be rated higher than him?
i for one rate players based on what i see from them in matches, and talent isnt smtg that difficult to spot. (trophees and all that are secondary cause most of the times it depends on the team your are playing with)

nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:25 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
Potentially ? He will be 24 when season starts not 18 or 19.

Walcott who is 2 years (nearly) younger has got more goals and assists in the league in this season than Johnson had got in his entire career.

As i asked what has Johnson done in his career to say he is a quality player as Pooi has said?

Umm you rate Johnson as a a good player even though he has played 14 games games in the PL.

Again its the same point, If you rate a guy who plays 15 games a season, Then how can you dismiss him if he plays 30 games?
Give the guy a chance,Or no, Let him pray that Mancity play with wingers next season.

Mancity and wingers -

SWP - 1 season now reserves.
Johnson - Only guy who is still living on against the likes of Silva, Yaya , Tevez and Dzeko. Who are all 30 mill+ signings while Adam came for about 5 + add ons.
Petrov - 1 season then out.
Robinho - Excellent then out.
Geovanni - Excellent potential but was never played.

You can see most wingers of wide players never lasted in Mancity.

Adam has done extremely well.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:28 am

nj wrote:actually this is not true: in 2009/2010 when he moved from middlesbrough to City, he 1st played 24 games in championship and then 14 in PL in the same season.

but i agree on the fact that the others season he didnt played enough games.
but you make it sound like its because he isnt good enough to play more or smtg,
whereas its mainly because of injuries.

and at city its because of injuries and Mancini, who will prefer the physical players. (Silva being the only exception).

but i believe it is smtg you can work on, especially with our medical staff.

and i understand you can dismiss a player for his injuries (in this case its true hes quite injurie prone, i havent payed much more attention to that before), but when it reach a level where you says Downing and Nzogbia (players who still plays in middle table/poor clubs at 27/25), i take you may have smtg else against the player.

and at your question: "what has he done to say he is a quality player?": erm what have Downing & Nzogbia done to be rated higher than him?
i for one rate players based on what i see from them in matches, and talent isnt smtg that difficult to spot. (trophees and all that are secondary cause most of the times it depends on the team your are playing with)

Downing and N'Zogbia are rated higher by me because they have had really good season in the PL.Downing was Villa's best player last and only Nani had a better season than him.N'Zogbia once again was decent for Wigan last season and probably saved them single handedly.Basically i am rating them better because of performance.Why do i have something against him?

I would agree about this potential thing if he is 18 or 19 but he will be 24 when next season starts.Still talking about potential.Give me a break.Babbel had done more at this stage of his career than Johnson.

I would happily take him as a good squad player just like N'Zogbia but never as a MARQUE signing u were suggesting in the first place.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:41 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
Downing and N'Zogbia are rated higher by me because they have had really good season in the PL.Downing was Villa's best player last and only Nani had a better season than him.
lol, Nani, Nasri... hell, even Kuyt had a better season than Downing.

BeautifulGame wrote:I would agree about this potential thing if he is 18 or 19 but he will be 24 when next season starts.Still talking about potential.Give me a break.Babbel had done more at this stage of his career than Johnson.
so i take you would have asbolutly hated the possibilty to sign Zidane at 24 or Drogba at 24, because they hadnt done anything at that age then?
(not comparing him to Zizou or Drogba btw, just want to make you see the point)

BeautifulGame wrote:I would happily take him as a good squad player just like N'Zogbia but never as a MARQUE signing u were suggesting in the first place.
and marquee signing, as signing (realistic one) who would slot direcly in our starting XI and could improve us for the next 5-10yrs, in the same way as i believe Carroll & Suarez can.

nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:43 am

Nishank wrote:
Mancity and wingers -

SWP - 1 season now reserves.

He is in the reserves now because he is a below average player.Going to Chelsea just ruined his career completely.Havent u seen how rubbish he is when he is given a chance?

Johnson - Only guy who is still living on against the likes of Silva, Yaya , Tevez and Dzeko. Who are all 30 mill+ signings while Adam came for about 5 + add ons.

Petrov - 1 season then out.
Petrov was good but way too injury prone so they didnt resign him when his deal ran out.

Robinho - Excellent then out.
He was way too hot and cold.Also he never liked in the PL and he had way too much ego and created rifts within the dressing room along with Elano.So they shifted him out.And he is NEVER A WINGER

Geovanni - Excellent potential but was never played.

Potential? After he left City he signed for Hull city where he failed to cement a starting spot and he was 28 then.That tells u anything about the potential he had.

You can see most wingers of wide players never lasted in Mancity.

Adam has done extremely well.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:47 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
Potential? After he left City he signed for Hull city where he failed to cement a starting spot and he was 28 then.That tells u anything about the potential he had.

32 games 8 goals in first season for hull .. Wink
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:57 am

nj wrote:lol, Nani, Nasri... hell, even Kuyt had a better season than Downing.

U are kidding me right? Kuyt?
All of Kuyt's best matches were as striker.Mention me 3 matches Kuyt shined as a winger this season?

I thought about Nasri but also felt all his best performances were as an AM when Fabregas was injured.Cant really remember him really having a good run as a winger this season.I admit if i am wrong though.The only other player i would say (apart from Nani) who had a better season is walcott but considering Downing played for an inferior Villa i felt he had an as good season as walcott.

[/quote]

nj wrote:
so i take you would have asbolutly hated the possibilty to sign Zidane at 24 or Drogba at 24, because they hadnt done anything at that age then?
(not comparing him to Zizou or Drogba btw, just want to make you see the point)

The difference Zidane and Drogba were regulars for their team not bit part players even at the age of 24.They maynot have showed they will be this good back then but certainly were far far ahead of Johnson when they were 24.

nj wrote:
and marquee signing, as signing (realistic one) who would slot direcly in our starting XI and could improve us for the next 5-10yrs, in the same way as i believe Carroll & Suarez can.

As i said i dont agree he is good enough to start for us.Maybe as a squad player but certainly havent done anything to warrant a starting point.If thats the case we would better have stuck with Babbel.

We need a player proven at the this level and not someone with potential at the age of "24".So i would take Downing ahead of him anyday of the week.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Nishank wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:

32 games 8 goals in first season for hull .. Wink

Almost all those good performances were in the 1st half the season.He along with the whole Hull city team was pretty rubbish throughout the 2nd half of the season.And next season he was dropped form the team IIRC and eventually left go at the end of the season.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:25 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:
The difference Zidane and Drogba were regulars for their team not bit part players even at the age of 24.They maynot have showed they will be this good back then but certainly were far far ahead of Johnson when they were 24.
you know, johnson was a regular in championship at Middlesbrough after coming back from his loans.
but then again comes the injury factor.

BeautifulGame wrote:
We need a player proven at the this level and not someone with potential at the age of "24".So i would take Downing ahead of him anyday of the week.
i didnt said he is "someone with potential",

i said hes a very good player, with the potential to be the best winger in the country.
its different.

aaaanyway, i see i cant convince you no matter what i say,
and in the same way you will never convince me that Downing is better than Johnson, not in a million year,
so i say we agree to disagree Very Happy
cause in the end we cant really do much about these transfers, we will have to settle with whoever Kenny & Comolli sign,
and time will then tell what really is the truth
nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:54 pm

^^ well wouldn't be bad if Comolli and Kenny signs both Downing and Johnson.We could settle our arguement who is better as well as we get the players we both like.

I certainly wont complain Very Happy .
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:05 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:^^ well wouldn't be bad if Comolli and Kenny signs both Downing and Johnson.We could settle our arguement who is better as well as we get the players we both like.

would be very pleased with that, thats for sure : )
nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:05 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:
ynwa wrote:

I said SWP of Chelsea where everyone said he is a great winger.He was fighting for titles at chelsea albeit from bench just like Johnson is at city

Robben has been excellent for years and proved year in year out.Not every single footed winger can become Robben.He is an exception not the norm.

He isnt England's best winger that is Ashley Young followed by walcott and Downing.He didnt start for City regularly even when fit he is a bit part player for them.Where do u get he this City's best winger when they don't even play with a winger regularly?

He started 15 games this season and 14 last season.He also wasn't injured for half the the season atmost 2 months just that he wasn't a starter made his absence look longer.He was injured at the end of january and returned mid march.That's certainly not half a season lay off as far as i know.

He is already 23 has he ever played 20 PL games in a season? NO
. Has ever a good player not even played 20 league games once in a season at the age of 23?

I am asking this simple question ? Name me a single season in which Johnson had a good season?

I will agree he is a quality player when he atleast has good season and played atleast 30 league games in a season not when living on hype.

Meh. SWP is like Joe Cole. He peaked early. He’s been abysmal ever since he’s been at City. City does not play him and rightly so. It’s marvellous how you compare someone who helped his team to CL football next season (well... this season) and finished third at the end of the year – same points as second, to a guy that can’t even make the Man City’s reserves.

You’re right, not every single footed winger can become Robben, but Adam Johnson is the closest thing to Arjen as an Englishman. You also said “He is also one trick pony isn't double footed and defenders are have found out now IMO” which is why I brought Robben up. What’s the point of doubting Adam for being a one trick pony if the likes of Robben are doing it...

Johnson is arguably the best English winger. Easily was going too far, I admit. But, Young isn’t better imo, he probably will be under SAF’s guidance, but he didn’t do all that well with Villa. He did well, but he never looked world class. Walcott is the closest thing to Johnson. I’d rather Adam though. No disrespect to Walcott, he’s a class act, but Johnson has the right mentality to be bigger imo. Walcott doesn't know what his natural position is at the moment.

He (Adam) started most games when fit, and when you have the players that City has, you’re obviously going to be rotated.

He was injured for a while. City was only hunting for a winger in January only because they didn’t want to play SWP and decided to change formation.

I answered your simple season. Adam had a good last season. Only you’re not denying that.

Do you rate Agger as a quality player? Or Aurelio? Or are they living on hype at Liverpool?
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:23 pm

^^ So starting just 15 games and scoring 5 goals and 4 assists for a winger is having good season?

Certainly i have different yard sticks for players having good season.Otherwise one can say Maxi had a good season too last year.

Agger and Aurelio are considered good because untill 2 years before when they were fully fit they had really good season and when u include League and CL they certainly played 30 games a season to judge them for a full season.And i wont say either of them had good season last year.

P.S.

I keep repeating i compared Johnson to the SWP at chelsea not the SWP at city 2nd time.And when he was at chelsea he received similar hype without justification.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:31 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:^^ So starting just 15 games and scoring 5 goals and 4 assists for a winger is having good season?

Did Suarez have a great season? He played more in the hole, but you dont seem to rate people that havn't played 20+ games in the PL...

Maxi didn't play 15 games. He played double that.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:35 pm

ynwa wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:^^ So starting just 15 games and scoring 5 goals and 4 assists for a winger is having good season?

Did Suarez have a great season? He played more in the hole, but you dont seem to rate peplayers.ople that havn't played 20+ games in the PL...

Maxi didn't play 15 games. He played double that.

Er are u serious? Suarez was already proven world class player before he came to us.He had a great world cup as well as consistently proven in the Cl against the likes of Milan and Madrid?Also it may be dutch league but still he was head and shoulders above any other playing in the league.And Dutch league certainly has some quality

How can both they be compared?
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next