BarcaLearning
Hapless_Hans
Nishankly
Jay29
55 posters

Page 19 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

Who will reach the final?

WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia - Page 19 Vote_lcap46%WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia - Page 19 Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 11 ]
WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia - Page 19 Vote_lcap54%WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia - Page 19 Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 24

WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia - Page 19 Empty Re: WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia

Post by Unique Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Doc wrote:Yeah, England progressively got worse as the match continued and Kane shat the bed, the floor and even on the dog. Tough loss UK lads but Croatia played better, way better.

the UK didnt play tonight lad england did.

Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia - Page 19 Empty Re: WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:33 pm

Unique wrote:
Doc wrote:Yeah, England progressively got worse as the match continued and Kane shat the bed, the floor and even on the dog. Tough loss UK lads but Croatia played better, way better.

A nation's pride the dirty water on the rivers
No one can take away our memory
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:33 pm

By UK, I mean you guys as in gents on the forum but sure, let me rectify the statement:
Tough loss English lads but Croatia played better, way better. Still a tough loss and was honestly hoping you guys get to see your country in a final in your lifetime. Oh well, hope they keep with Southgate and not give him too much criticisms.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by juvealbanian Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:34 pm

EPL >> Serie ZZZ . Mandzukic is mediocre blah blah blah. How does reality taste now?

Mario is big game master of all times.

Kudos to Perisic as well. After underperforming past games he looked like he became a beast.
juvealbanian
juvealbanian
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:36 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
Unique wrote:

A nation's pride the dirty water on the rivers
No one can take away our memory
no turks and poles in our team buddy. maybe a few players from the  empire though Wink
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:36 pm

Pissed off tbh.

We allowed them to get back into the game by sitting back at the start of the second half despite the fact we can't defend on the back foot at all.

Don't particularly agree with the subs but we lost that with our passive play to begin with the second half and we never really recovered.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Unique wrote:no turks and poles in our team buddy. maybe a few players from the  empire though Wink

The empire of the United Kingdom because that particular empire's sun has long been set.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Doc wrote:By UK, I mean you guys as in gents on the forum but sure, let me rectify the statement:
Tough loss English lads but Croatia played better, way better. Still a tough loss and was honestly hoping you guys get to see your country in a final in your lifetime. Oh well, hope they keep with Southgate and not give him too much criticisms.
maybe one day you will see another team from the empire play in a world cup. it could be you rofl
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:40 pm

Doc wrote:
Unique wrote:no turks and poles in our team buddy. maybe a few players from the  empire though Wink

The empire of the United Kingdom because that particular empire's sun has long been set.
but it still shines on you little buddy Thumbs up
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:40 pm

At the start of this world cup I was enraged at the mention of England among big teams. My point was that having failed in so many successive tournaments they had lost the right to be called that. What irritated me a lot was the domination of the English media in this and past tournaments. Every third news item coming out had to be about England when I was so much more interested in reading about several other teams.

If I look at England in this tournament what have they really done. First just beaten the perennially hapless Tunisia. Then thrashed the new kid on the block Panama. Then lost in a meaningless game to Belgium. After that they edged out a Colombia team on penalties that was missing its best player in James Rodriguez. Then they convincingly beat the overachieving Sweden. At last they took Croatia to extra time.

What can we conclude from this performance? It was definitely not the stuff of champions. Looking at this team and all the #itscominghome slogans everywhere I was seriously wondering what I am missing. Can a team that I find really below standard be world champions? What is it that others are seeing and I am missing? My conclusion now is that they made the most of a very easy draw. On the other side of the draw they would surely not have lasted very long. However they did do two things for which credit where its due - won their first ever penalty shootout at a world cup and reached the world cup semi final after 28 years. For that I am now fine with them being called a big team but not too much more than that. They probably still remain the most underachieving big team of this century so far.

Last edited by messixaviesta on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Thimmy wrote:RIP, English, working-class wives.

/r/jesuschristGL
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:42 pm

its a miracle we almost made a WC final with the midfield we had tbh
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:42 pm

Luca wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:Making me lose money u fckn melts, can't never really count on Brexit

Based on your predictions these days, you probably would've lost the money regardless Proud
I think France are gonna win so Imma put money on Croatia yheb
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Pissed off tbh.

We allowed them to get back into the game by sitting back at the start of the second half despite the fact we can't defend on the back foot at all.

Don't particularly agree with the subs but we lost that with our passive play to begin with the second half and we never really recovered.
mole the team did us proud buddy. the fans of the super star teams took to hating on england as soon as they went out in the group stage. football came home in this world cup. Proud
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:43 pm

It's good to remember that Southgate is a new coach at this level. He has plenty of youth tournament experience but this is a whole different thing.

So maybe it's not surprising that a few of his subs weren't the correct ones. He always wanted to stick to his original game plan no matter what, which meant never changing the shape of the team or plugging a gap that's appeared.

It was frustrating tonight because the problem was staring everyone in the face. We couldn't just leave two strikers up top doing nothing when the rest of the team was being over-run. Both had to drop back in or one had to be sacrificed for another midfielder.

Just things he has to learn from if we're to progress.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:46 pm

Considering the lack of quality in midfield, England did really well in this tournament. I hope to see fewer Tottenham players in the England squad so I can go back to supporting it when Germany inevitably fails again.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:47 pm

messixaviesta wrote:

If I look at England in this tournament what have they really done.

Went further than Brazil, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Netherlands, Argentina etc with a team that was written off as being the worst England side in decades

look at the state of our team, this is actually a big achievement, nobody really expected us to get this far
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:48 pm

Let's hope that this generation doesn't go missing like the 1990 one.

Having England this far in a major tournament has really been enjoyable.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:50 pm

JD you need to ignore the footballs coming home stuff tbh, it's only meant to be something we do for a laugh.

Literally nobody is serious about it and nobody thinks we are an amazing team, my advice to anyone is not to take us too seriously.

You'll enjoy everything to do with us a lot more that way, it will be infuriating if you don't.

We know we have flaws as a result of not many midfield talents being developed but for us we see a team for the first time since 1996 and something to build towards.

Today was more frustrating than anything else because it felt like we defeated ourselves more than anything else but it's fine.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:50 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:
Thimmy wrote:RIP English, working-class wives.

/r/jesuschristGL

One of those gems that gets lost in the comments. Beautiful Proud
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:51 pm

messixaviesta wrote:At the start of this world cup I was enraged at the mention of England among big teams. My point was that having failed in so many successive tournaments they had lost the right to be called that. What irritated me a lot was the domination of the English media in this and past tournaments. Every third news item coming out had to be about England when I was so much more interested in reading about several other teams.

If I look at England in this tournament what have they really done. First just beaten the perennially hapless Tunisia. Then thrashed the new kid on the block Panama. Then lost in a meaningless game to Belgium. After that they edged out a Colombia team on penalties that was missing its best player in James Rodriguez. Then they convincingly beat the overachieving Sweden. At last they took Croatia to extra time.

What can we conclude from this performance? It was definitely not the stuff of champions. Looking at this team and all the #itscominghome slogans everywhere I was seriously wondering what I am missing. Can a team that I find really below standard be world champions? What is it that others are seeing and I am missing? My conclusion now is that they made the most of a very easy draw. On the other side of the draw they would surely not have lasted very long. However they did do two things for which credit where its due - won their first ever penalty shootout at a world cup and reached the world cup semi final after 28 years. For that I am now fine with them being called a big team but not too much more than that. They probably still remain the most underachieving big team of this century so far.

A few things:

1) You were enraged that the English press were talking about England? What were you expecting. Laughing

2) If you wanted coverage of other nations, there was plenty in the Guardian and excellent podcasts like The Totally Football Show. You just weren't looking hard enough.

3) You can only beat what's put in front you. Some perspective: England were knocked out by Iceland in the last tournament and didn't get out of the group stages of the last World Cup. They had no right to think Colombia or Sweden were anything but difficult opposition. Here's what England really did: they reached a semi-final beyond all expectation, further than Germany, Spain, Argentina, Portgual and Brazil. Please don't try to demean that achievement.

4) It's Coming Home was a joke. It's called irony. We claim it is fully in the knowledge that we're not going to win a thing. It's not something to take seriously. As the tournament progressed, people started to believe and it became a bit more serious. And what's wrong with that? Enthusiasm should be welcomed, not misinterpreted as arrogance.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:53 pm

Firenze wrote:
messixaviesta wrote:

If I look at England in this tournament what have they really done.

Went further than Brazil, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Netherlands, Argentina etc with a team that was written off as being the worst England side in decades

look at the state of our team, this is actually a big achievement, nobody really expected us to get this far
Thumbs up Thumbs up
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:54 pm

farfan wrote:Let's hope that this generation doesn't go missing like the 1990 one.

I think this sort of thinking flies over the likes of Unique's head (though a lot of things fly over his head usually). I enjoyed seeing England reach far, I enjoyed watching the typical English fan who are exactly like Mole in that they are constantly cynical and pessimistic of his team's chances, have that optimism. It was fun, it actually was.

I mean, they became only the 2nd team to blow a lead in a semis but still, a great effort from a side that has a tendency to disappoint.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Jay29 wrote:
messixaviesta wrote:At the start of this world cup I was enraged at the mention of England among big teams. My point was that having failed in so many successive tournaments they had lost the right to be called that. What irritated me a lot was the domination of the English media in this and past tournaments. Every third news item coming out had to be about England when I was so much more interested in reading about several other teams.

A few things:

1) You were enraged that the English press were talking about England? What were you expecting. Laughing

2) If you wanted coverage of other nations, there was plenty in the Guardian and excellent podcasts like The Totally Football Show. You just weren't looking hard enough.

3) You can only beat what's put in front you. Some perspective: England were knocked out by Iceland in the last tournament and didn't get out of the group stages of the last World Cup. They had no right to think Colombia or Sweden were anything but difficult opposition. Here's what England really did: they reached a semi-final beyond all expectation, further than Germany, Spain, Argentina, Portgual and Brazil. Please don't try to demean that achievement.

4) It's Coming Home was a joke. It's called irony. We claim it is fully in the knowledge that we're not going to win a thing. It's not something to take seriously. As the tournament progressed, people started to believe and it became a bit more serious. And what's wrong with that? Enthusiasm should be welcomed, not misinterpreted as arrogance.
why did you bother to explain to anyone why the england fans were supporting england.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Will be interesting to see who is still around in 4 years. Of the starting 11, there aren't really any players who would be aged out apart from Ashley Young.

Overall I thought England were good and should have finished a few chances in the first half to kill off the game, but Croatia had that experience, determination and resilience to come back.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Doc wrote:
farfan wrote:Let's hope that this generation doesn't go missing like the 1990 one.

I think this sort of thinking flies over the likes of Unique's head (though a lot of things fly over his head usually). I enjoyed seeing England reach far, I enjoyed watching the typical English fan who are exactly like Mole in that they are constantly cynical and pessimistic of his team's chances, have that optimism. It was fun, it actually was.

I mean, they became only the 2nd team to blow a lead in a semis but still, a great effort from a side that has a tendency to disappoint.
well us english lads do like to support a country or a club thats not from the other side of the world. cheers
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next