Is There a Correlation between pre-season results/performances and the actual season?

+2
BiasedMilanFan3
kiranr
6 posters

Go down

Is There a Correlation between pre-season results/performances and the actual season? Empty Is There a Correlation between pre-season results/performances and the actual season?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:56 am

was debating it with someone. Our last 2 pre-seasons was pretty shocking (didn't even score a goal last year under Roy in pre-season) and both kind of reflected on our actual season.....how do you rate pre-season games? are the results important confident wise or is it simply a glorified training session ? I hate the overanalyzing habit with pre-season games lately, especially the first couple of games, where players just want to get the beer outta their body and get used to kicking the ball again.

Also, I found this about Spurs' preseaon in Summer of 2008 (Juande Ramos era).....

Friendlies
As part of their pre-season preparations, Tottenham held a training camp in Spain, along with numerous friendlies, in July.[18] Their first friendly, against local side Tavernes, saw Spurs stroll to an 8–0 success, with Giovanni Dos Santos scoring his first goals for the clubs,[19] Tottenham then faced two of Juande Ramos' former teams in CD Dénia and Hércules. Spurs beat Dénia 4–2[20] and then curtailed the Spanish section of their preparations with a 1–1 with Hércules.[21]
Tottenham returned to England to play Norwich City, recovering from being a goal down to win 5–1, with Darren Bent netting four of the strikes.[22] They later played Leyton Orient, again winning 5–1 with Luka Modrić scoring his first goal for Spurs and Darren Bent scoring a hat-trick to take his tally to nine goals in five games.[23] Tottenham then embarked to Holland to play in the Feyenoord Jubilee Tournament, held in Rotterdam at the start of August, with a 2–0 victory over Celtic thanks to goals from Darren Bent and David Bentley.[24] Spurs followed this with another win, over German club Borussia Dortmund 3–0 with goals from Bent, Dos Santos and Jamie O'Hara. Tottenham Hotspur were crowned the winners of the tournament on 3 August.[25]
Tottenham finished their pre-season preparations with a 5–0 victory over Serie A giants Roma, which ensured they stayed unbeaten throughout the period, scoring thirty-three goals and conceding five in a total of seven games, with Darren Bent scoring 13 times.

which basically means, their pre-season results were:
Spurs 8-0 Tavernes
Spurs 4-2 Denia
Spurs 1-1 Hercules
Spurs 5-1 Norwich
Spurs 5-1 Leyton Orient
Spurs 2-0 Celtic
Spurs 3-0 Dortmund
Spurs 5-0 Roma.

which is 7 wins in 8 preseaon games, 33 goals scored, 5 goals conceded. but their season was the total opposite, as they sat bottom after 8-10 games, with only 2 points until Ramos got the sack and Harry took over.

if I am not mistaken, Chelsea lost all their pre-season games last year as well, as well as the Charity Shield...but still won all their opening 5 games in PL.

Is it me or is there no correlation there ?

Back to top Go down

Is There a Correlation between pre-season results/performances and the actual season? Empty Re: Is There a Correlation between pre-season results/performances and the actual season?

Post by kiranr Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:02 am

If you want to find correlation, then you will have to use more data. You will have to include more clubs and also include more season.

Choose about 25 clubs and about 20 seasons worth data. Then compare them using linear regression. You might still not find reliable results due to the ever changing nature of football.

Anyway, as far as i am concerned, it is a training setup where managers can experiment with tactics, players etc.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Is There a Correlation between pre-season results/performances and the actual season? Empty Re: Is There a Correlation between pre-season results/performances and the actual season?

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:11 am

Is depends on the quality of opposition also

Lazio smashing Auronza 16-0 means little for them in Serie A next season
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:13 am

From what I've seen from Spurs,when they have a tight schedule they kick ass,as soon as there is a whole week between games they draw or lose.Might be something there...
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:17 am

Most pre-season friendlies are glorified training sessions, imo.

For instance, look at these big clubs who go on an Asian tour; it's purely for fan base / financial reasons, I don't think clubs like Arsenal or Liverpool find too testing games from there.

Games like Spurs v Roma look big on paper and I guess they might tell you a little something, but friendlies are always friendlies, no one's gonna give their everything.

So I don't rate pre-season games as indicators of a team's form, but I like that they're there, wake the team up for the upcoming season and serve the fans well.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:50 am

Not at all.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:56 am

NO I don't think it does. Most coaches use pre season friendlies to test out fringe players, youth players or new signings or when a team has a new coach (eg: Chelsea, Inter) he uses them to get to know his team and find their strengths. Pre season doesn't reflect anything on the team's performance in the following season, or else Benzema would finish top scorer in his first season.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down