Gerrard: 25-30 games per season OR full matches every season?

4 posters

Go down

Gerrard: 25-30 games per season OR full matches every season? Empty Gerrard: 25-30 games per season OR full matches every season?

Post by Helmer Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:33 pm

After reading Art's comment about midfielders in capital cup thread, I was wondering about it.
I am not sure if Gerrard should play every match that Liverpool plays this season, including cup games. He is 33 years old now. I can not comment about how many more years of football is left in him. But as of now he looks solid. So my question is should we play Gerrard:

1) like 25-30 games a season so that we can see more of him minimum for next 3-4 years. I am not sure if that is too much for me to expect.

2) like almost 38 games of EPL and some important matches here and there in cup matches. It seems too risky for me, he may get exhausted or injured.

For me the second option is too risky. I would like to see more of Gerrard. Also till Gerrard is playing, we should pursue next player who can be the heartbeat of our midfield when Gerrard finally hangs his boots. So playing Hendo in his preferred role in at least cup matches makes sense to me. So we must use him wisely and effectively.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Gerrard: 25-30 games per season OR full matches every season? Empty Re: Gerrard: 25-30 games per season OR full matches every season?

Post by McAgger Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:47 pm

He should definitely start all 38 PL games but that's about it. I don't want him playing cup games unless we're in the semis/final. Thing about Gerrard is that he looks to be in an an absolutely fantastic shape atm. His position doesn't require him to make those lung busting runs too often. I think he'll be fine.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Gerrard: 25-30 games per season OR full matches every season? Empty Re: Gerrard: 25-30 games per season OR full matches every season?

Post by Art Morte Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Gerrard's previous season was amazing. He had a couple of quieter ones in between. He played all but two of our PL games last season, too, missing the last two because of that operation.

I'd rather see him play 25 league games for the next 4-5 years and perform the way he did in '12-'13 than play 35+ games and begin fading in a couple of seasons. But, of course, it's impossible to know how much fuel he's got left in the tank and I'm expecting to see him play every game he is fit for in the next 3 seasons unless his form drops dramatically.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:53 pm

McAgger wrote:He should definitely start all 38 PL games but that's about it. I don't want him playing cup games unless we're in the semis/final. Thing about Gerrard is that he looks to be in an an absolutely fantastic shape atm. His position doesn't require him to make those lung busting runs too often. I think he'll be fine.
yeah I know he looks in perfect shape now, but one injury can change everything. If you look at the stats of ryan giggs and paul scholes, thier appearances in last 4/5 years have gone increasing as substitute ones. There is no doubt that removing him from an advanced position was a perfect move which will definitely suit body now. So I think if we wish to see him playing like at least 3-4 years more, it is wise to gradually reduce his burden. So I think he can start 25 odd matches and rest can be brought as a sub.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:13 pm

So far, our medical team has worked wonders with Gerrard, Agger, Coutinho, and Teixeira. If they feel Gerrard can handle playing every game then I'll support that call.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down