Sri
BarrileteCosmico
RealGunner
sportsczy
Swanhends
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New York City getting another MLS team Empty New York City getting another MLS team

Post by Swanhends Tue May 21, 2013 4:13 pm

The new team, called New York City FC, will be co-owned by Manchester City and the New York Yankees

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/21/major-league-soccer-announces-new-york-expansion-team-new-york-city-football?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=NYCFC&utm_campaign=Unpaid

MLS.com wrote:After three years of discussions and negotiations, Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber announced on Tuesday that English Premier League powerhouse Manchester City FC and Major League Baseball's legendary New York Yankees have teamed up to acquire MLS's 20th expansion club.

The new team will be named New York City Football Club (NYCFC) and is expected to begin play in 2015.

“We proudly welcome two of the most prestigious professional global sports organizations to Major League Soccer,” Garber said in a statement released by the league. “This is a transformational development that will elevate the league to new heights in this country. The New York area is home to more than 19 million people, and we look forward to an intense crosstown rivalry between New York City Football Club and the New York Red Bulls that will captivate this great city.”

“New York is a legendary sports town, as well as a thriving global city with a rapidly expanding soccer fan-base,” said Ferran Soriano, CEO of Manchester City. “We are thrilled to contribute to the energy and growth of New York City Soccer. In the Yankees, we have found the absolute best partner for developing a world-class sports organization and a winning team that will carry the New York City Football Club name with pride.”

Follow @NYCFC on Twitter

Manchester City will be the majority owner, according to the league's announcement, while the Yankees will play an active role in the ownership group, with Yankees President Randy Levine playing point for the ballclub.

The Yankees and Manchester City already have an existing commercial relationship through Legends Hospitality, an international entertainment, hospitality and marketing organization, and Man City will play a friendly against fellow EPL giants Chelsea FC at Yankee Stadium this coming Saturday.

“We are pleased to be associated with this major move by MLS to increase its presence in the New York market and to enhance the opportunity for New York soccer fans to enjoy high-level play in their own city," said Hal Steinbrenner, managing general partner of the New York Yankees. "We look forward to the opportunity to work with Manchester City to create something very special for the soccer fans of New York -- and to bringing another terrific team to this city for all sports fans to enjoy."

In order to begin play in 2015, NYCFC will arrange for an interim venue but will also seek a permanent home in New York. The club says it will continue the discussions already under way with the City of New York, local residents, community and business leaders, and soccer leagues about a possible new stadium in Flushing Meadows Corona Park (FMCP) in Queens, while also continuing to look at other potential sites.

“New York City FC will have a permanent home in the City in the great traditions of New York sports and world soccer -- a home that must be a sports, commercial and civic success,” Soriano said. “But in considering any stadium site, we will listen first. This is what we have always done in Manchester and what we will do in New York. Only in this way, can the Club truly represent the City whose name it will carry.”

Like NYCFC on Facebook

Manchester City has had connections to New York for years now. Its "City Soccer in the Community," a grassroots youth soccer program, has been up and running in New York since 2010 and is headquartered at PS 72 (Lexington Academy) in East Harlem, which now boasts a rooftop field funded by Manchester City. City Soccer in the Community "provides quality soccer instruction and programming to thousands of children in 20 NYC public schools each year," according to the club, who are expected to expand the program's reach throughout the five boroughs.

Through various community programs, Manchester City has funded the construction of soccer facilities for youth in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami and Washington, as well as around the world.

But it's on the field in New York where NYCFC will have its biggest impact. The arrival of another club in the Big Apple establishes MLS's second local derby -- after the Los Angeles SuperClasico between the LA Galaxy and Chivas USA -- and given that this is New York, the rivalry between NYCFC and the Red Bulls is expected to be a heated one.

“Soccer is one of the world’s most exciting and popular sports, and it should be played on the world’s biggest stage -- in New York City,” New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said in a statement. “New Yorkers are the greatest sports fans in the world, and they will welcome a Major League Soccer franchise with the full-throated and loyal support they are famous for.”

RIP Red Bull rofl rofl rofl

Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

New York City getting another MLS team Empty Re: New York City getting another MLS team

Post by sportsczy Tue May 21, 2013 4:16 pm

Now they have someplace to send all the excess strikers Laughing
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

New York City getting another MLS team Empty Re: New York City getting another MLS team

Post by Swanhends Tue May 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Future NYC FC legends Jo and Santa Cruz rofl
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 21, 2013 4:18 pm

There is only one club in NY :coffee:

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue May 21, 2013 4:20 pm

Why RIP? If anything this is good for them, right?

Still think the 20th franchise should've been in Florida though, although I like derbies. Also the new team being light blue and white Proud
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 21, 2013 4:26 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Why RIP? If anything this is good for them, right?

Still think the 20th franchise should've been in Florida though, although I like derbies. Also the new team being light blue and white Proud

Red Bull can barely fill half of their stadium NOW, their average attendance is 60% capacity of 25,000 seat stadium...If this new NYC FC club gets a stadium in the NYC as planned, nobody except a few stubborn long-time NYRB fans are gonna travel all the way to Harrison NJ when they could just go to Queens...and Jersey can't support a team by itself
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue May 21, 2013 4:29 pm

RealGunner wrote:There is only one club in NY :coffee:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Tue May 21, 2013 4:31 pm

No longer supporting the Red Bulls. They don't represent the city or the surrounding area. They should just change its name to New Jersey Red Bulls. I'm not sure whether I will support the Cosmos or the NYCFC tbh.
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

https://www.youtube.com/user/juveman176

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 21, 2013 4:32 pm

juveman17 wrote:No longer supporting the Red Bulls. They don't represent the city or the surrounding area. They should just change its name to New Jersey Red Bulls. I'm not sure whether I will support the Cosmos or the NYCFC tbh.

The Cosmos are out of the MLS picture, they joined the 2nd tier North American Soccer League (NASL)
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by schrutebucks Tue May 21, 2013 4:35 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Why RIP? If anything this is good for them, right?

There's still a beam of light at the end of the tunnel for Orlando City (or even Miami for that matter, although I don't think the league would be so warm to that idea after the failure in the city with the Fusion). Chivas Guadalajara is working on a takeover at the moment, at which point the new owners want little to do with MLS or Chivas USA. Offloading the club and it's assets to another ownership group, possibly Florida-based, seems a legitimate possibility at this point.

NYRB will stay as is, Garber has been clear about his intentions of having two teams in town. I will say, though, I am a little perturbed about the expansion, the main excuse/explanation I hear regarding RB's paltry attendances is the fact that they're too far from the city. They should be in Brooklyn or Queens in the first place...just poor planning, in my opinion. Now I'm not sure how those attendances have a way up besides the natural growth of the sport within our country...

schrutebucks
schrutebucks
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 21, 2013 4:40 pm

RealGunner wrote:There is only one club in NJ :coffee:

fixed
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue May 21, 2013 4:51 pm

NYC FC? ... What???.. Why on earth isn't it the Cosmos?.. NYCFC is such a dumb name... Seriously disappointed..
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 21, 2013 4:52 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:NYC FC? ... What???.. Why on earth isn't it the Cosmos?.. NYCFC is such a dumb name... Seriously disappointed..

The Cosmos have their own club, they just aren't in MLS...they are in NASL

This new club couldn't just take the Cosmos' name lol
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue May 21, 2013 4:55 pm

Swanhends wrote:
VendettaRed07 wrote:NYC FC? ... What???.. Why on earth isn't it the Cosmos?.. NYCFC is such a dumb name... Seriously disappointed..

The Cosmos have their own club, they just aren't in MLS...they are in NASL

This new club couldn't just take the Cosmos' name lol
Yeah but the cosmos could have just moved over to the MLS, they've been trying to do it for years.. Its not like they wanted to stay in the NASL.

Its just.. NYCFC... That name is actually worse than the Red Bulls.. :facepalm:

W/e... As long as they get a stadium with a good local Ill probably end up going to some games.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 21, 2013 4:55 pm

Why do Cosmos have to play in NASL but NYMCFC get to jump in the MLS ?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Cosmos don't "have" to play anywhere, they were trying to join MLS but they couldn't reach a deal with the league so they joined NASL
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue May 21, 2013 5:06 pm

RealGunner wrote:Why do Cosmos have to play in NASL but NYMCFC get to jump in the MLS ?
Exactly what Im thinking. Garber is such a liar lol... He was all like, oh we can't let you into the MLS until you have a product on the field... They do that, make stadium plans in queens and just sweeps the rug from under their feet...

Oh well. Relegation/promotion to the MLS pls
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by schrutebucks Tue May 21, 2013 5:09 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:
No...just no...The fact that this type of sponsorship/advertising/**** is in my league makes my stomach turn. It's everything that I hate about this modern day iteration of this sport, even a name is up for change due to big business.

Oh well, they have nothing to show for it. 0 trophies. Crap club.

Cosmos, I believe went into negotiations with the club and things went haywire. Nothing, really that can be done if the two sides don't see eye-to-eye.
schrutebucks
schrutebucks
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue May 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Oh well.. At the end of the of the day this is good news. Finally well have a complete league with a hopefully balanced schedule of one home one away game, no more of this split stuff.

Now they just need to move Chivas to Miami and we're good
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 21, 2013 5:25 pm

wouldve loved to get juberish's reaction to this news Sad
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue May 21, 2013 5:26 pm

They should be called the NY Kebabs....
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue May 21, 2013 5:56 pm

schrutebucks wrote:
VendettaRed07 wrote:
No...just no...The fact that this type of sponsorship/advertising/**** is in my league makes my stomach turn. It's everything that I hate about this modern day iteration of this sport, even a name is up for change due to big business.

Well at least the Red Bulls is something.. Like you can say, hey guys wanna go to a red bulls game?... Or say hey theres a red bulls game on.. What are we going to say with this team?.. Whats their nickname gonna be?...Because nobody says the full name of a sports team every time they talk about them.. NYCFC is so bland, and long.. What are people gonna call them?.. YOrk City? lol... City FC?..

I mean most of the other MLS teams have good catchy names.. The Sounders, The Galaxy, The Fire, DC United, etc..
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Tue May 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Good News for me, hopefully the games will be better now, now that there will be alot of rivalry
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 21, 2013 6:35 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:
schrutebucks wrote:
VendettaRed07 wrote:

Well at least the Red Bulls is something.. Like you can say, hey guys wanna go to a red bulls game?... Or say hey theres a red bulls game on.. What are we going to say with this team?.. Whats their nickname gonna be?...Because nobody says the full name of a sports team every time they talk about them.. NYCFC is so bland, and long.. What are people gonna call them?.. YOrk City? lol... City FC?..

I mean most of the other MLS teams have good catchy names.. The Sounders, The Galaxy, The Fire, DC United, etc..

How is New York City FC any different than Liverpool, Fulham, Chelsea, Manchester City etc etc etc?
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue May 21, 2013 8:43 pm

Don't see how anyone can complain about this name. I think the best name in the MLS is FC Dallas. But then again I'm not American.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next