McLewis
RedOranje
VendettaRed07
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lets talk about New York City FC Empty Lets talk about New York City FC

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:27 am

What do people think about this club, project, farm team, whatever it is? Was this the right expansion choice? Or another short sighted Chivas USA type move by Garber..

Bout to go on a bit of a rant here, so feel free to not read the wall of text and say whatever about the team is on your mind... but Personally, the more l hear about this team the more l am conflicted as to what to make of it. Though, it is early, and the details should become clear in the near future when it starts playing about a year from now..

lm not sure how to feel. As a new york sports fan, l have been absolutely dying for an MLS team that l can regularly attend and watch some live matches regularly with more ease. A team that maybe l could buy a shirt or jersey of and not feel ashamed of myself like lm playing into the grand scheme of an energy drink company that cares more about the success and promotion of a product than its integrity as a football club. While NYCFC will most likely use its deep pockets and yankee connections to pull an awesome, easily accessible stadium in the future, l can't help feel similar alternative motives being the driving force behind the creation of this team.

l, like many people, do not like Manchester City. While my first impressions where that lt would be hypocritical for someone such as myself that had such obvious connections to hate rivals of other teams l spend the majority of my sporting time following, there where a couple things that l thought might make that a bit different than l originally thought it might turn out.

First off, yes the team is owned by Manchester City.. However, While personally the football club l love the most and watch almost exclusively is Arsenal; they also share a relationship with the Colorado Rapids. Yet, that does nothing for me. There were rumblings of them even going as far as to changing the team name to The Rocky Mountain Arsenal. Even if they had done that, would not have compelled me to root for them or support them in any fashion. Which was an interesting thought and got me thinking about this team which l had originally viewed pretty negatively in a different light...

On to the name. Yes the name pretty conveniently resembles manchester city. However, it does just make sense. lts simple and to the point. And, there are many many teams across europe and even the MLS that share the City name. lnfact, both expansion teams coming in 2015, NYCFC, and Orlando City share the name. There were also calls a few years back for Red Bulls to rebrand to the exact same name. NYC is the City in America, so overall, it just works, despite it being convenient, and probably better than something cheesy like the New York Empires or w/e else they could have come up with.

Also, there is the mentality. America, is different. MLS is a very different league in how it operates than the BPL. NYCFC, will not be able to simply go and throw money at the wall wrecklessly as ManCity can. Will they spend? Of course.. However, odds are there isn't much that NYCfc will be able to do that goes above and beyond what we are seeing happen in Toronto right now, for a long time at least, most MLS teams will have similar capabilities towards one another. Or atleast, a lot more so than what we commonly see in europe.

ln the end, l really want to be able to like this team. l have watched and read many interviews of those in charge of this project and they all seem to echo the same sentiments that their primary goal is to establish its own identity and personality, and appeal as much as they can to the New York fanbase.. however, that could be a load of hogwash for all we know now. They could come out and just have Manchester City kits with a clone badge and adds all over their stadium for the manchester club or w/e. lf that where the case, l would find impossible to go out of my way to follow this team.. However, if they deliver on staying true to delivering an independent New York team, with its own colors, crest and invest in the enrichment of Football in america, l feel like its possible that there might be a team in the MLS l can like.

Well theres that. Not sure what else to add as its still very early and so much is still unclear. Just felt like bringing it up because there doesn't seem to be that much talk about it going on and many people like myself don't seem to know what to make of it...But l guess overall, well just have to wait and see.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Lets talk about New York City FC Empty Re: Lets talk about New York City FC

Post by RedOranje Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:45 am

Putting another club in New York when cities like St. Louis and Detroit are sitting just waiting for a proper MLS club (Detroit already has a lower league club with solid support, even) makes no real sense to me. Even if they were set on it for whatever reason, surely it should have been the Cosmos rather than some pet project of ManSheikh.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:57 am

Thats ultimately how l feel. lm disappointed that the reason that Garber even wanted a second team in NYC is because he screwed the first one up, and for now, seems to be repeating the same mistake.. but l guess well see. lm still hoping that it has a unique identity, for the sake of the leagues integrity at the very least.

Though l think with expansion, there should be enough room to satisfy a lot of the bigger markets.

20. NYCFC
21. Orlando
22. Atlanta
23. St. Louis
24. Detroit/Okc

Also could eventually swap Chivas to another market as you'd think that team moving has got to be inevitable
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:18 am

RedOranje wrote:Putting another club in New York when cities like St. Louis and Detroit are sitting just waiting for a proper MLS club (Detroit already has a lower league club with solid support, even) makes no real sense to me.  Even if they were set on it for whatever reason, surely it should have been the Cosmos rather than some pet project of ManSheikh.

Well of the 2, and I speak as a future supporter of the local Detroit team, I would say St. Louis is long overdue for an MLS side.

That place has been a bedrock for the game for decades. It's frankly criminal that a team hasn't been placed there yet given its history in the American game. Detroit's time will come, but there's just not enough interest at the upper levels here. It's all grassroots at the moment for Detroit City FC.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Nah, I think NYFC is gonna be a much bigger project than the laughable Chivas USA fan service gig here in LA. I hear Xavi will be coming to the side if first he decides to go the NYRB. Certainly would be a good start at player picking.

Sadly though, I think Chivas USA is gonna survive here only because of the enormous Chivas fanbase here in the Southwest. I can only hope that someday someone will buy the franchise, give it a new name and badge
(FC Tortilla Laughing), and actually invest in the team, which is something I don't expect for Vergara to do anytime soon.

I'm also hype for Orlando.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:35 am

Yeah, Chivas could have been a good idea somewhat, had it been l dunno, something more like Los Angeles Chivas SC. or LACFC, and had its own kit/crest... or whatever. Similar ownership to another team isn't the necessarily a bad thing, on its own..All l can say is atleast NYCFC at least isn't called Manchester City USA. That would have been a travesty.

lve been looking over some concepts and designs and some of them are so awesome. Leaves me to think that theres no chance the real kits/crests will be nearly as good lol

Lets talk about New York City FC 349_1370184012

Lets talk about New York City FC 9527-689c75809704a9e26754be67686b859d

Lets talk about New York City FC NYCFC%201

Lets talk about New York City FC NYCFC%206

https://2img.net/h/i71.photobucket.com/albums/i129/conneryboy/NYCFC2_zpsaff0eabd.jpg

VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:17 am

Love that Statue of Liberty badge....that looks awesome. Way better than the boring pentagon (with each point representing the 5 boroughs I assume).

That first kit looks less like a concept and more like an actual kit that we could see in MLS. The 2nd looks very much fan made, but could be a decent 3rd kit.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Yeah l really like the statue of liberty one too. Though l think they might go with something more like the first badge because its simple and probably more marketable.. and l think the pentagon in the middle is supposed to make it resemble an old NY subway token or something like that

l really hope Orange is part of the color scheme, would really stand out and help the team kits feel original.. though there might be some conflict of interest in a yankee owned team using Mets colors Sad
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Dude, Statue Of Liberty on the crest is legit as hell. Please make it happen guys. Though I think it will be a sort of replica to the current Man City crest.

Also the same owners are making a "Citizen Club" in Melbourne, Australia.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-city-announce-bought-melbourne-3052750

It's being based on Melbourne Hearts.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:10 pm

Lord Awesome wrote:Dude, Statue Of Liberty on the crest is legit as hell. Please make it happen guys. Though I think it will be a sort of replica to the current Man City crest.

Also the same owners are making a "Citizen Club" in Melbourne, Australia.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-city-announce-bought-melbourne-3052750

It's being based on Melbourne Hearts.

lf thats the case, l gather as many torches and pitchforks as possible and hunt Don Garber down.

Also, while my initial reactions towards the Hearts purchase were negitive, every A-league fan lve heard from really likes it, especially the hearts fans. Apparently it only cost 11m lol. So l guess if they are fine with it whos to judge
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:11 pm

This is very cool.

NYCFC allowing fans to submit contributions as to what the new badge should be. So no MCFC clone badges for this team it would seem. Theres a generator where you can create and submit your own as well.

http://nycfc.com/News/Latest-News/2014/February/Badge-of-badges
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:38 pm

l created some of my own lol. Was having a little trouble with the text, the generator wasn't all that responsive and wouldn't let me create 2 different colors or sets of text for some reason. They aren't all that great but still fun to play around with.

Lets talk about New York City FC Badge_3254994_1

http://my.nycfc.com/ugc_images/2/212/badge_2966780_1.png

VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:38 am

VendettaRed07 wrote:This is very cool.

NYCFC allowing fans to submit contributions as to what the new badge should be. So no MCFC clone badges for this team it would seem. Theres a generator where you can create and submit your own as well.

http://nycfc.com/News/Latest-News/2014/February/Badge-of-badges

Pretty funny they use an old comic book trick in order to sift through the hilarious shit and land on something they can rip off of someone hoping to get discovered.

Just another reason for me to join those in the crowd opposed to Oil Money FC.

Despite my personal feelings, this badge is class:
Lets talk about New York City FC Bfpitn5IcAArFTY

Now, onto the good stuff :coffee:

Spoiler:
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:49 am

The mister burns one seriously made me lol

But I don't know this is pretty cool honestly that they are getting fans involved. Honestly I've seen so many fan made rebrands of mls teams that are 100000% better than a lot of the crap we have currently so it might be the best route. They could have easily just slapped some sort of mcfc logo on an called it a day, at least they are making the effort as opposed to i dunno, chivas, red bulls, and the revolution etc

I'm not feeling to great yet about this whole ordeal yet either, most of my feelings are up in the op.. I wanted the cosmos, but that's never going to happen now.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:10 am

Cosmos would of been great given the history, but yeah, this is just a trick that the "creative" industry has used for ages to pilfer great ideas from starving creators.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:26 am

Their history is definitely way above and beyond any other American football team, so its unfortunate, but lt seems that the current ownership group just didn't have the funds or resources to accomplish the kind of undertaking the project would have required

the biggest issue with MLS is location location location. l'd say more than half of MLS teams are in the middle of nowheresville... They needed a team in the five boroughs and that isn't an easy thing to do.

Apparently Beckham wanted NYC but the contract he signed with the galaxy had some sort of stipulation where he couldn't own a team in LA or NY, so thats why he's going with Miami.

And as for the contest, yeah sadly that has been true in the past.. but as long as the creator willing produces it and doesn't really expect anything in return l think its fair. And seems worth it because its producing gems like this.

Lets talk about New York City FC Nycfc_brand_id_presentation_v16_o

l mean just look at that.. lf some variation of this doesn't win then l loose all faith in mls lol..
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:56 am

Motogp69 wrote:Despite my personal feelings, this badge is class:
Lets talk about New York City FC Bfpitn5IcAArFTY
This is very nice.

Don't see why so many concepts have a soccer ball on the logo, that's as amateurish as it gets.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:07 am

Agreed about the soccer ball thing. Totally ruined the Earthquakes new crest.

Though about the building badge, that one is really popular, but there is something about it l just don't quite like. The tan l don't think quite suits it and theres a bit too much white empty space.. or something, not sure can't put my finger on it.

Also, scrolling through entries and l came across this

Lets talk about New York City FC Zlatanfc

Zlatan FC? YES PLS :bow:
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:41 pm

Lol at Mr. Burns.

Good attempts there Vendetta.

If I were to make one though I'd probably try to put in the Brooklyn Bridge with The Statue Of Liberty both in the crest.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:31 am

Lets talk about New York City FC Bf5r8SfIQAARvFC

One last try, think the contest or whatever you call it closes soon.

Wish the team didn't have to be blue.. Orange and black would be sick Sad
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:43 pm

They just unveiled the logos. On mobile right now so can't post them but I will after school

One of them is bad. Yet the other is beautiful. Apparently they had to shrink the n in NYC to avoid a copyright with the Yankees badge

On thing I'm amazed at is that both contain a hint of orange. With the Yankees ties I'm surprised. Hopefully the circle design badge wins. Just glad it isn't some man city clone. They are on the right track. Hopefully with orange in the badge that means the kits will include it too
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:38 am

City are talking about re-signing Barry and Lescott and loaning them to NYCFC for their first season. I have also heard of them potentially loaning one of their bigger stars for half a season if MLS stays on the current fixture calendar.

This is all speculation but I've heard it could be Nasri.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:52 am

l don't think any of that will happen. There will be a new CBA before NYCFC come in, and according to the reports, clubs won't be able to loan players from other teams the owners own with out their wages counting against their cap. l believe its for the teams that have the USL clone teams like the LA galaxy 2 and soon to be red bulls usl too, because they could probably do something similar.

l think all three of them make more in a year than the entire cap. And there are probably very few players at mc that make around 300k a year or less, probably all academy. They could possibly make them DPs, but l don't see it happening.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:02 am

Lets talk about New York City FC BiY91rLCYAA2l9a

:bow: Orange!! l can't believe that with the Yankees that Orange is an official color. Will make the eventual kits probably 100% more interesting and 100% more New York.

The second badge is clearly way better and will win easily.. But l think they might alter the second one slightly. the Artist even floated around a picture of the NYC having the same colors as the badge on the left. More orange the better.

l have some gripes with the badge, but l feel like some of the things wrong with it, like the N being kind of small are because the MLB forced them to change it hence the delay. lts so funny how everyone expected it to be pretty much a man city clone badge, yet if anything its lnter inspired Laughing
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:57 am

Those are both meh, I still think this one is GOAT

Lets talk about New York City FC Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEh_EDNlWHiHj11VqfSKeQfkyjrVJM_n_S1NjC_MYROzF5vPZGBg

Not bad having another orange team in the league though, and I think that shade of blue would compliment orange pretty well.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next