EL Patron
SamuelJayC
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sagna interview with L'Equipe Empty Sagna interview with L'Equipe

Post by SamuelJayC Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:18 pm

Sagna:

"Everyone knew Robin was leaving. But Alex? He's 24. He had 3 yrs on contract. I still dont understand. He's a huge loss."

"When 2 best players go, you ask questions. Fans come up in street, I understand frustration. Like them I dont understand everything."

"I'm the only starting player left from 2007. In May, I watched City's parade on TV. I saw Samir & Gael lift the trophy. I want that."

"Were Nasri/Clichy right to leave? Yes, but we didn't know then. I've 1 yr left at end of season."

Sagna is asked by L'Equipe if the club have spoken to him about extending his contract: "No, nobody."

--

Thoughts?

(As you know, I don't normally make lots of new threads, but the Hill-Wood and Sagna interviews were quite interesting so I made new threads for these 2 Smile )
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Sagna interview with L'Equipe Empty Re: Sagna interview with L'Equipe

Post by EL Patron Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:39 pm

This interview worries me, it looks like he is going to leave as well unless we make him a good offer.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:43 pm

He is 29 now? Turns 30 next summer?

Close the door on your way out Sagna. You were a good player, under appreciated even. But if you think you are better than the club, and want to doubt the manager's abilities, then move along. Where you move will determine the wishes you will move with.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Sagna is less important than the other players that have been lost. At worst, Arsenal cam move Koscielny there. Another option is to convert Coquelin into a RB. Also, Jenkinson is young and could develop.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by The Verminator Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Sagna is important!!! Why lose another great player? We have to have talks with him before he decides to move on. He is a very good player and his performances have gone under-appreciated for a long time now. Sri, he didn't say anything wrong. He doesn't think he's bigger than the club. Dunno why you are assuming this.

Anyways point is: HE MUST STAY!
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:11 pm

The Verminator wrote:Sagna is important!!! Why lose another great player? We have to have talks with him before he decides to move on. He is a very good player and his performances have gone under-appreciated for a long time now. Sri, he didn't say anything wrong. He doesn't think he's bigger than the club. Dunno why you are assuming this.

Anyways point is: HE MUST STAY!

I would want him to stay to. But being a player who has seen how we gooners feel about players who have left with bad blood, I see no justification for this :

"I'm the only starting player left from 2007. In May, I watched City's parade on TV. I saw Samir & Gael lift the trophy. I want that."

"Were Nasri/Clichy right to leave? Yes, but we didn't know then. I've 1 yr left at end of season."

Clichy maybe I can understand. Ca$hri? Really?

I like(d) Sagna, no doubt about it. And I have maintained for a while now that we don't show enough appreciation. But I can not stomach anyone justifying that c*nt Ca$hri. And the same will also apply for that other massive c*nt van Pussy. I can stomach players moving on, but not players betraying Wenger's trust or questioning the club.

If that is the path Bacary Sagna wants to take, then there is no love I can show for him anymore.

Quite convenient, saying he hasn't had a discussion on his contract - don't you think? Nice way to twisting the club's arm, saying this in public and also batting his eyelids at Man City discretely?

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:17 pm

"Everyone knew Robin was leaving. But Alex? He's 24. He had 3 yrs on contract. I still dont understand. He's a huge loss."

"When 2 best players go, you ask questions. Fans come up in street, I understand frustration. Like them I dont understand everything."

1. Everyone knew about Robin? Really? It doesn't look like Ramsey and TommyV were a part of 'everyone' then. Go read their interviews over the summer.

2. Arteta is still at the club. As is Jack Wilshere. And a host of other top top players.

3. Arsene Wenger : "We lost one world class player this summer, we didn't want to sell van..."

If you have a problem, go talk to the manager. I would think as a player who has been around long enough, you would do that.

Unless your agent arranged for this interview in the first place. Then I must say, he is smarter than Kees Voss has ever been.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by SSgooner Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Extended version :

In an interview that is sure to worry many Arsenal fans, Sagna admitted to l'Equipe: "I expected the departure of Robin van Persie. We all expected it. It was 'obvious'.

"But the Alex one, it was a surprise! He is 24 years old, he has three years remaining on his contract. I still do not understand. It is huge loss for the club.

"When you see the two best players of last season leave, you have a lot of questions. Sometimes in the street the fans talk to me. I can understand they are upset. I am just like them, I don't understand everything.

"At Arsenal you come back after holidays, you make preparations, and you see two players leave and the season resumes - it has been like that since I have been at the club. I am used to it now.

"I am the last player from the 2007 starting XI remaining. In May, I watched Manchester City show off. I watched at Samir [Nasri] and Gael [Clichy] lifting the trophy.

"That gave me desire for it. Were they right to leave? Yes. But when they left, we didn't know."

Sagna then admitted that his own situation is far from certain, revealing his contract is up in 2014 - something Arsenal would never confirm publicly.

"My own situation? At the end of the season, I will have one year remaining," he said, insisting that nobody from the club has been in touch.

"Has the club contacted me about an extension? No, no one."

He even refused to rule out the prospect of leaving, adding: "Could I be tempted to leave? I just want to play again and be good again with Arsenal so far.

"Then, we will see. Each person has his own destiny."

On his fitness situation, Sagna revealed that he is close to playing again.

"One week ago I resumed training with ball. I hoped to be back just after international break, but it will be too close," he said.

"I missed have missed four months twice [in the last year], so I need to be perfectly fit."

SSgooner
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Whether or not we'd "miss him" or not is not really the issue here. The issue is that there is a distinct lack of communication between the higher ups and the players and it's making unassuming and non-confrontational guys like Sagna come out and publicly reveal his worry.

This isn't a case of a player thinking he's bigger than the club. I don't get that impression from his quotes. Rather, I get the impression that this is a player who would probably want to stay, but wants to be reassured that what the club is doing is right. He's just seen a few of his mates leave the club and win things, so you can't really blame him for reviewing his own position at the club.

The club probably wants to wait until he proves he's as good as he once was before offering him a new deal, since after two leg breaks, players may not be the same. From a business point of view, that's sensible. But at the same time, he's been our most consistent player since 2007 and is one of the best right backs around currently. Why shouldn't he get a new deal, leg break or no? If you want players to show loyalty to you, you need to show loyalty to them.

Couple this with Arsenal's policy of offering only one year deals to over 30's and it pretty much suggests that the obligatory high profile departure this summer will be Bacary Sagna.

You can bound about words like betrayal all you like, but the fact remains that this is a vicious cycle that is making the club look weaker and weaker every passing summer. Yeah, we could replace Sagna like we've replaced many other players, but that's not really the point. This culture of "want to leave, you're a c*nt, see you later" is not healthy nor helpful towards the progress the club is trying to make.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by SSgooner Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Has this got anything to do with our latest policy?

Matt Law tweeted this 2 days back : "Arsenal have set an internal rule that anybody in final two years must be signed up - or risk being sold. No problem on Sagna or Gibbs "

In 2014 Sagna will be 31. Will we have a suitable back up? As much as we love Jenkinson's display in the last 2 games, I still feel he's not ready for a full season. Maybe by then he will, who knows?

If Sagna wants to leave then we should sell him next season, get some money off his sale.

Sigh, there goes my chance of getting SAGNA 3 written on my next shirt. Oh well.. CAZORLA it is then cheers

SSgooner
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:38 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:Whether or not we'd "miss him" or not is not really the issue here. The issue is that there is a distinct lack of communication between the higher ups and the players and it's making unassuming and non-confrontational guys like Sagna come out and publicly reveal his worry.

This isn't a case of a player thinking he's bigger than the club. I don't get that impression from his quotes. Rather, I get the impression that this is a player who would probably want to stay, but wants to be reassured that what the club is doing is right. He's just seen a few of his mates leave the club and win things, so you can't really blame him for reviewing his own position at the club.

The club probably wants to wait until he proves he's as good as he once was before offering him a new deal, since after two leg breaks, players may not be the same. From a business point of view, that's sensible. But at the same time, he's been our most consistent player since 2007 and is one of the best right backs around currently. Why shouldn't he get a new deal, leg break or no? If you want players to show loyalty to you, you need to show loyalty to them.

Couple this with Arsenal's policy of offering only one year deals to over 30's and it pretty much suggests that the obligatory high profile departure this summer will be Bacary Sagna.

You can bound about words like betrayal all you like, but the fact remains that this is a vicious cycle that is making the club look weaker and weaker every passing summer. Yeah, we could replace Sagna like we've replaced many other players, but that's not really the point. This culture of "want to leave, you're a c*nt, see you later" is not healthy nor helpful towards the progress the club is trying to make.
Spot on Jay. Thumbs up
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Sagna is the best right-back in the Premier League. Whether or not he is when he returns from his second leg break in one year remains to be seen, but Jenkinson's development since Steve Bould began coaching our defence in training is encouraging.

We should wait and see how Sagna returns first. But I do hope he signs a new deal and stays.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Jenkinson is not there yet, he won't be for at least 2 seasons. Sagna has to stay.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:10 pm

Sagna requires a 3 year deal at a certain wage. It's his last big contract. If Arsenal won't give it to him, he'll walk 100%. This has nothing to do with trophies etc. It's just business.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:14 pm

sportsczy wrote:Sagna requires a 3 year deal at a certain wage. It's his last big contract. If Arsenal won't give it to him, he'll walk 100%. This has nothing to do with trophies etc. It's just business.

you hit the nail in the head mon pote , it will take a very good offer to convince him to stay because am trying to find a good reason for him to stay at Arsenal and i can't see any. Most of his friends have left and we don't challenge for trophies anymore plus he could easily earn more money elsewhere while challenging for trophies Crying or Very sad
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:21 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:Whether or not we'd "miss him" or not is not really the issue here. The issue is that there is a distinct lack of communication between the higher ups and the players and it's making unassuming and non-confrontational guys like Sagna come out and publicly reveal his worry.

The club and the manager are not especially hard to find for any player. You have a problem, speak to the hierarchy first. That doesn't solve, tell them you wish to leave. THAT is professional conduct.

GoonerJay29 wrote:

Not disagreeing with this. But fact remains, an interview with L'Equipe, or any other journo, is not the way to "review the position".

GoonerJay29 wrote:

Well we can safely say that we are, after all, a business. And there is no room for sentiments when money is involved - a fact that is slapped on our faces every summer, multiple times. You see a player kiss the badge and whisper sweet words of love and commitment and you swoon over them. They show you their loyalty and you shower them with all your love and support. I don't see why it must be the other way around. Ultimately, the players are doing a job which pays them and well. I guess that is what differentiates the top players who spend their entire careers loyal to the club from the others.

Come summer, you see these badge-kissing sycophants (not aimed at Sagna, unless he does the same) leave and you feel betrayed. I am sorry if that makes me an emotional fan who never learns - just the way it is for me. If Jay or anyone else can get over that and look at things in a more rational way, good on you. But don't expect everyone to share the same rationale.

GoonerJay29 wrote:

I will hope you are wrong on this one. But if it does happen, then I am going to move on and replace the object of my affection. Tears yes, but no sweat.

GoonerJay29 wrote:

You know very well Jay, that I don't fall in that category of fans calling every player who leaves a c*nt. But don't ever expect me to endorse the actions of the likes of Ashley Cole, Samir Nasri, Emmanuel Adebayor or Robin van Persie. Patrick Viera was great when he was with us, but him joining Manchester City and then his comments which followed that has well and truly tarnished his image. These people are c*nts in my book. And I will not feel sorry or apologize about this.

As you can see, this is a small list. And recent departures like Alex Song and Cesc Fabregas are not on it.

I think Arsenal is among the biggest clubs in the world. If anyone says it is a small club, intent on selling its stars to a bigger club, then it hurts me and as a fan, I can't stomach such talk. If a player wearing the jersey and kissing the badge says that, I have every reason to hate it. And I don't see how that affects the progress of the club. If anything, it means that there is room for the club to progress more, and learn from past mistakes, to prevent such situations from arising.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:28 pm

He and Cazorla are our only world-class players left. Sagna leaving would be heart-breaking Sad just like with Judas.

To be fair, he deserves some trophies in his career but I still think that if we give him a good contract he'll accept it. But will we? When was the last time we gave a 3-4 year contract extension to a 30+ player?
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:04 pm

Guy deserves at least a 3 year contract.

The loyalty and commitment he showed in his 5 years with us is exemplary and should be rewarded.

Jenkinson is far from "ready", his first 20 minutes against Liverpool had me tearing my hair from rage.

For once, we need someone who mentors the younger generations and shows them what playing for The Arsenal really means. :coffee:
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:06 pm

Sagna has given everything to Arsenal, and he could have left us but he never did and now it look likes he is frustrated losing Song and I think he is realizing there is no loyalty in the board, and the players and he is looking out for himself.

What worries me is that losing Sagna wont be a big loss but this board likes the send more than one player packing, Sagna and who I dont know. Who ever has the highest value next summer market will be sold.

I wish Sagna all the best, there is not much more you can ask from this guy. I dont care what anyone says we are a selling club and I can see us selling Jack in few years for huge profit.

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:26 pm

we better do right by sagna. if we keep shipping really good players out after every season the club wont be desirable at all.

we talk about player loyalty all the time (which sagna has exhibited) but our club needs to be loyal to some of these players. i hope we are with sagna because he's been steadfast in his commitment to the club
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:03 pm

We need to sign him up for another 3 years. That's out of the question. There is NO right back out there better than him that we can get. And even if we ignore that, we need him just for the sake of the fans.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:27 pm

RealGunner wrote:We need to sign him up for another 3 years. That's out of the question. There is NO right back out there better than him that we can get. And even if we ignore that, we need him just for the sake of the fans.

We want him, he wants to, but will the board give him the contract?

I just dont see it, they would cash in on him next summer, tired of this, we keep cashing in on the players and no replacement.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:10 pm

He's 30 soon anyway. I think Arsenal should just sell him and get someone else. Debuchy?

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:41 pm

I don't see the passionate loyalty Sagna supposedly showed us since he got here. He arrived in 2006. Signed for 4 years and re-signed once a few years ago when we just came off of a title-challenging season. Now he's older, some players have been sold and he's been out a season he goes public with his 'concerns'.

This is bogus, if he really wanted to understand the departures he wouldn't be asking the hierarchy through the media. Also, the hint at Clichy and Nasri being right and then talking about his contract is a clear ploy to get a better contract.

It's pure business.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:23 pm

You're wrong. In 2010, Sagna was considered top 5 RBs in the world (probably still is when healthy). He had offers to leave with wages of over 100k per week. He stayed with Arsenal because of loyalty.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next