Who is the best Deep-Lying Playmaker in the world today? - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Who is the best Deep-Lying Playmaker in the world today?

+26
Raptorgunner
HscouserZ
Sabra1
Adit
B-Mac
free_cat
fatman123
che
billy_gr
Kick
juventus101
Vyey
lszanto
TheRedStag
Arquitecto
Geo
FennecFox7
chinomaster182
The Messiah
Sushi Master
Ganso
Messi
Vibe
kiranr
Toffer Harley
Arvin14
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who is the best Deep-Lying Playmaker in the world today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the best Deep-Lying Playmaker in the world today?

Post by fatman123 Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Arvin14 wrote:Xabi Alonso

you spelt God wrong

fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Who is the best Deep-Lying Playmaker in the world today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the best Deep-Lying Playmaker in the world today?

Post by Toffer Harley Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Arquitecto wrote:
Toffer Harley wrote:so xavi is not a deeplying playmaker ? oh yea, he plays more short passes than xabi and his role is "too free" for that. last time i checked that was one of the general characteristics of a playmaker but nevermind.

I hope you know the difference between a playmaker and a DEEP-LYING playmaker.

Pirlo, Alonso come to mind who must have the discipline to be in a withdrawn and fixed position to overlook the whole field are rarely venture within the attacking half of the midfield. Xavi does not have a fixed role as his position is based on the position of his fellow midfielders and the natural flow of the Barca system as well.

Big difference.

Well, since he's not a CAM he can't be a traditional No.10 playmaker can he? But the obvious relation of the two labels also resembles a certain connection between the skills they have to posess. Gosh, i saw this one coming.

wikipedia:
"Some players prefer to set up an attack from a withdrawn position, and are often coined deep-lying playmakers, mainly because of their ability to spread play and dictate the game from a withdrawn position. Despite their deep role, they are not classed as defensive midfielders as tackling and defence are not the main function of their roles — they may have to be supported by a holding midfielder.[...]"

by that definition xavi fits well in there. just because barca has a unique playstyle they still don't rewrite the rules and definitions of football. but feel free to discuss this some more and split some hairs.

Toffer Harley
Toffer Harley
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Wolfsburg

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:52 pm

Toffer Harley wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:
Toffer Harley wrote:so xavi is not a deeplying playmaker ? oh yea, he plays more short passes than xabi and his role is "too free" for that. last time i checked that was one of the general characteristics of a playmaker but nevermind.

I hope you know the difference between a playmaker and a DEEP-LYING playmaker.

Pirlo, Alonso come to mind who must have the discipline to be in a withdrawn and fixed position to overlook the whole field are rarely venture within the attacking half of the midfield. Xavi does not have a fixed role as his position is based on the position of his fellow midfielders and the natural flow of the Barca system as well.

Big difference.

Well, since he's not a CAM he can't be a traditional No.10 playmaker can he? But the obvious relation of the two labels also resembles a certain connection between the skills they have to posess. Gosh, i saw this one coming.

wikipedia:
"Some players prefer to set up an attack from a withdrawn position, and are often coined deep-lying playmakers, mainly because of their ability to spread play and dictate the game from a withdrawn position. Despite their deep role, they are not classed as defensive midfielders as tackling and defence are not the main function of their roles — they may have to be supported by a holding midfielder.[...]"

by that definition xavi fits well in there. just because barca has a unique playstyle they still don't rewrite the rules and definitions of football. but feel free to discuss this some more and split some hairs.

Your wikipedia reference coincides with my point.

DLP's like Pirlo, Xavi, Donadoni are move laterally within the midfield line while spreading the play and making passes and crosses just ahead of the backline. Thats how I imagine a DLP.

I personally feel Xavi's role doesn't have the discipline yet is more adapted on the natural positioning of the players and the spaces created while a DLP seems to be more fixed and static then that.

Which is why I come to the point how Xavi is unique in his aspect to almost revolutionize the concept of playmaking through his own natural method.

Take example of the world cup where Alonso was playing as a pure DLP while Xavi was playing in his natural position (although in a slightly more advanced position).

And I don't see how a new position cannot be created as the DM is the most recent example of the emergence of a position.

Xavi on paper is a DLP, but what I'm saying is he brings more then that, Toffer.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffer Harley Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:36 pm

well, it's a matter of personal opinion i guess. i can see where you are coming from though and yea those things you mentioned are definitely the characteristics of a deeplying-playmaker - i don't disagree.

and yes, xavi does bring another dynamic to the table that stems from barca's playstyle of course, but i think he's still more of a DLP than anything else. let's just say he interprets that role in a different way, but he can be thrown into that category.

schweinsteiger can also be seen filling out that position in different fashion. there are certain games where he ventures into the other half quite frequently box-to-box style (GER-ARG 2010 for instance) and others where he just chills in front of the backline and administers the game without any fancy passes.

anynway, bottom line is i would include them in this category.

btw: veron deserves a mention. not the best but certainly (was) very awesome at it.
Toffer Harley
Toffer Harley
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Wolfsburg

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:15 am

Sergio Busquets with some distance, if Xavi qualifies as DLP, he takes it though. I'm not into semantical debates.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:05 am

Paul Scholes

/endthread
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:20 am

I would go with shweinin followed by xabi alonso and pirlo
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabra1 Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Schweini all the wayy! Pirlo is number 2 for me. In his prime though, certainly 1. But even now, especially when he is not injured, he is still pretty good.
Sabra1
Sabra1
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by HscouserZ Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:43 pm

xabi alonso.
HscouserZ
HscouserZ
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabra1 Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:49 pm

sciacca wrote:Alonso, oh wait Abate :coffee:

Hahaha.
Sabra1
Sabra1
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:44 pm

kiranr wrote:You forgot Jack Wishere.

ps. am i correct Arsenal fans?

Who is the best Deep-Lying Playmaker in the world today? - Page 2 37099330
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:09 am

Lol at barca fans neg repping everything they dont like. STAY BUTTHURT
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeps33178 Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:03 pm

I agree Schweinsteiger is the best when hes on form but last season he was not at all up to par.

He wasnt even a shadow of what he was at the WC, he got completely rocked by Sahin

Schweiny NT > Schweiny Bayern
Jeps33178
Jeps33178
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Jeps33178 wrote:I agree Schweinsteiger is the best when hes on form but last season he was not at all up to par.

He wasnt even a shadow of what he was at the WC, he got completely rocked by Sahin

Schweiny NT > Schweiny Bayern
The whole of Bayern was shit last season.

Check out his current performances. And wait for that City clash when he schools Barry and co. :coffee:
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Piggy is great, best on form

Of these Alonso wins (current form/last season)
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:37 am

How on earth do some people think Busquets is the best DLP?

To say he's the best DM is reasonable, but DLP...

Anyway, right now, it has to be Alonso, although he might be overtaken by Sahin very soon.
Kev
Kev
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:12 am

Well, looks like Schweinsteiger is getting back in form, so he can take the mantle again.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by juventus101 Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:56 am

Theyre not as good as Schweini, Alonso, etc, but David Pizarro and Ever Banega should at least get a mention. Both great DLPs as well. Definitely top 10 in my opinion.
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2