With the signing of Sanchez official, where does Afellay fit into the squad? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

With the signing of Sanchez official, where does Afellay fit into the squad?

+7
Rafinha
Great Leader Sprucenuce
FennecFox7
BarcaKizz
billy_gr
ChollaVille
everest1
11 posters

Go down

With the signing of Sanchez official, where does Afellay fit into the squad? Empty With the signing of Sanchez official, where does Afellay fit into the squad?

Post by everest1 Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:42 am

Now that we have a good idea of how our front line will look next season, with Messi/Villa/Pedro/Sanchez splitting time between the forward 3 positions, where do you see Ibrahim Afellay fitting into the squad? It seems that there are a few possibilities--the first being a super sub for the forward positions and insurance against an injury to Messi/Villa/Pedro/Sanchez, and possibly even an occasional substitute in midfield, which I believe was where he played at PSV last season. While I believe this supersub option is a great option for Barca, I'm not so certain that Ibrahim will be happy with this role long term and may want to seek playing time elsewhere (I know liverpool expressed interest last season and I'm sure plenty of other teams would bid as well). Alternatively, I can see Ibrahim being flipped either immediately to finance the purchase of Cesc, or in a later transfer window. Should the cesc deal finally go through, I can't see a way to keep Cesc, Thiago, and Afellay all happy sitting on the Bench. Certainly in this situation Ibrahim would be the odd man out and would be sold.

Personally, I hope that Pep is able to find a way to give Afellay significant minutes as a substitute and maybe even as a CDR starter. Afellay's unique skill set can offer a lot to our team, and his speed and ability to shoot from distance could be a great change of pace against overly defensive teams when the tiki-taka isn't clicking. What are your thoughts?
everest1
everest1
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

With the signing of Sanchez official, where does Afellay fit into the squad? Empty Re: With the signing of Sanchez official, where does Afellay fit into the squad?

Post by ChollaVille Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:00 am

LOL
Bojan and Jeffren are OUT.
So Afellay will play on wings and sometimes in mid (if we don't sign Cesc)
ChollaVille
ChollaVille
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

With the signing of Sanchez official, where does Afellay fit into the squad? Empty Re: With the signing of Sanchez official, where does Afellay fit into the squad?

Post by billy_gr Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:06 am

No big deal. You gotta have at least 2 substitutes for your 3 frwds
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:15 am

I said it before. Think of Afellay as a new signing. He has had his trial with Barca now and now he gets an actual preseason and his chance to get into the team.

Always been a big Afellay fan, probably like him the most on here. He's got so much more to give than what he showed already.

If no Cesc, then he'll have a really big role actually. He can play anywhere in attack, and attacking midfield.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:35 pm

BarcaKizz wrote:I said it before. Think of Afellay as a new signing. He has had his trial with Barca now and now he gets an actual preseason and his chance to get into the team.

Always been a big Afellay fan, probably like him the most on here. He's got so much more to give than what he showed already.

If no Cesc, then he'll have a really big role actually. He can play anywhere in attack, and attacking midfield.
2nd most, I gotta love my fellow riffian. so of course im a die hard fan of afellay.

pretty much gonna repeat what i say. afellay is more versatile then sanchez, and it looks like pep is trusting him as a super sub, so we'll see if he will get a starting spot.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:00 pm

How many time's do i need to say this?

Barca need depth upfront they have 5 forwards for 3 positions both Sanchez and Affelay with Pedro and Villa ffs.

Affelay is going nowhere and if i have to answer this stupid question again it will be greeted with an avalanche of these.....

With the signing of Sanchez official, where does Afellay fit into the squad? Wil-wheaton-facepalm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by everest1 Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:How many time's do i need to say this?

Barca need depth upfront they have 5 forwards for 3 positions both Sanchez and Affelay with Pedro and Villa ffs.

Affelay is going nowhere and if i have to answer this stupid question again it will be greeted with an avalanche of these.....

With the signing of Sanchez official, where does Afellay fit into the squad? Wil-wheaton-facepalm
lol, wow, calm down dude. no need to be so condescending. get off your pedestal, this is a site for football fans to discuss football and i was merely brining up a topic for discussion that i found interesting. if you dont like the topic there's no need to click on the link to read it.

As to the original question I posed, it looks like its been resolved with the creative sale of Bojan. Bringing in an extra 13m now pretty much cancels out any need to sell afellay to purchase cesc, which it looks like will happen before the transfer window closes. Should this happen I still think it will be interesting to see how pep rotates playing time between the teams subs. here's to hoping that we see affelay shine in whatever role he is given in the upcoming season!
everest1
everest1
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:13 pm

everest1 wrote:

lol, wow, calm down dude. no need to be so condescending. get off your pedestal, this is a site for football fans to discuss football and i was merely brining up a topic for discussion that i found interesting. if you dont like the topic there's no need to click on the link to read it.

As to the original question I posed, it looks like its been resolved with the creative sale of Bojan. Bringing in an extra 13m now pretty much cancels out any need to sell afellay to purchase cesc, which it looks like will happen before the transfer window closes. Should this happen I still think it will be interesting to see how pep rotates playing time between the teams subs. here's to hoping that we see affelay shine in whatever role he is given in the upcoming season!

I calmed down Smile

Sorry for any offense you may have felt, it's just all i have been hearing the last few day's and quite frankly it has p*ssed me off.

Why would you buy a forward for squad depth to sell another?

As i said in my previous post he like Sanchez will compete for a spot on the wings and if Cesc does'nt come he has a role in midfield too.

No need to worry about Affelay Thumbs up
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by everest1 Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:24 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:
everest1 wrote:

I calmed down Smile

Sorry for any offense you may have felt, it's just all i have been hearing the last few day's and quite frankly it has p*ssed me off.

Why would you buy a forward for squad depth to sell another?

As i said in my previous post he like Sanchez will compete for a spot on the wings and if Cesc does'nt come he has a role in midfield too.

No need to worry about Affelay Thumbs up
no worries man Thumbs up i don't read the fourms daily so I may have missed another thread discussing this issue. And to clarify i was actually wondering about tactical issues more than finances, im just curious to see how the purchase of sanchez/possibly cesc will change his role on the team (which it sounds like it wont). I just brought up the possibility of selling him becasue I knew that the club would need some extra cash to meet wenger's demands for cesc, not because I though sanchez would push him out of the team. but like we said the 13m from bojan's transfer appears to have resolved that entire situation.
everest1
everest1
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafinha Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:08 pm

He plays like a beast for Netherlands. It always gives me immense satisfaction that his talent is secured for Barca. Barca's rotation policy will give him enough time and satisfaction for playing for us.
Rafinha
Rafinha
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:24 am

imho he can easily get a starting spot soon enough. I heard what xavi said about him, about how he plays with his head this should mean something.
Xavi can really see the potential in players, I know since he praised our 2 main players for algeria. Everyone was praising ziani, when the engine was [bougherra and belhadj). and xavi noted this
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:27 am

Giggity5313 wrote:imho he can easily get a starting spot soon enough. I heard what xavi said about him, about how he plays with his head this should mean something.
Xavi can really see the potential in players, I know since he praised our 2 main players for algeria. Everyone was praising ziani, when the engine was [bougherra and belhadj). and xavi noted this
easily? no, it will be through hard work and good performances for him to be put ahead of Pedro and Sanchez.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:02 am

Giggity5313 wrote:Xavi can really see the potential in players

Xavi will likely become a great coach some day.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by matpol Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:57 pm

http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/catala/noticies/futbol/temporada11-12/09/22/n110922119359.html

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Sad news. I was counting on Afellay, with this injury he may not came back in this season, he may not go to Euro 2012;/ Terrible pre-season is the source of all this injuries.
matpol
matpol
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ChollaVille Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Barcelona's Ibrahim Afellay faces six months out with knee injury.
The Dutchman is the Catalan side's latest player to move to the infirmary after picking up a serious knee injury during training and may miss a majority of the campaign.

Shit... now I can see big fight for Neymar in January... or Cesc and Adriadno will play as fowards for the rest of the season...
ChollaVille
ChollaVille
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:30 am

He can still replace Pedro/Villa. I don't particularly think he will play in midfield because he won't be able to replace the likes of Inestia, Xavi, Cesc, Thiago and even Keita. He will be a winger and Pep will use him otherwise he would have sold him to Liverpool, Arsenal or Totteham in the transfer market. Got to put your trust in Pep!
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down