VivaStPauli
Young Kaz
Warrior
35 posters

Page 10 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18 ... 27  Next

Go down

The Racism Thread - Page 10 Empty Re: The Racism Thread

Post by Lord Awesome Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:16 am

I think Imperialism is the correct word here. The vestiges of it certainly ring loud and clear as to whom is having this attitude. I imagine Brexiters have more or less the same mindset towards Bipoc as conservatives here. And that's all it really is tbf. Fear or suspicion of Brown or Black people who immigrate mainly to looking for better economic opportunities or escape to a more secure location their homeland cannot offer. Worst is how it has been these very Imperialists are in support of the atrocities done in a lot, if not all, of the homeland their immigrants originate from.

Then comes the argument of white guilt.

Merely by mentioning these truths causes the need to deny, out of blind nationalistic, or even worse religious, pride that they are somehow the good guys of the world and those coming in are somehow bad or criminals (or "ghetto" as one I had met used). All this highlighting the past is not done to shame, or at least it shouldn't be done with the intention to shame, but it should with the intention to acknowledge what has been done and what is being done still now. Finally, we get lumped into the "Woke" category with the intent to minimize the strength of reason.

As much as Conservatives would like to, it'll never change the past. They have now lost the ability to warp history in their favor in this age of information. So if they want to remain ignorant they can do so but eventually I predict they will erode

Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:58 am

Frankly, I'm not sure they've lost that ability. They're fighting real hard to keep doing it. What they've lost is the shroud of obscurity under which they operated. Their gerrymandered control of so many state legislature means they can still operate with similar impunity. Look at what they're doing to counteract the 1619 Project, which isn't even being taught in schools and there are no real plans to do so.

They can definitely still revise history in their favor. They just have to do it in the public eye now, which is significantly harder.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:42 am

http://globalnews.ca/news/7930240/london-ontario-family-killed-identified-mosque-host-vigil/

It happens in Canada too :facepalm: i just hope violence stops spreading, terrorism used to be rare and i realize it's increasing

A terrible, senseless act. RIP to these innocent people. The killer will be treated as a terrorist and get prison for life. It's unfair that he cannot get death penalty.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:30 am

Lord Awesome wrote:As much as Conservatives would like to, it'll never change the past. They have now lost the ability to warp history in their favor in this age of information. So if they want to remain ignorant they can do so but eventually I predict they will erode
The Racism Thread - Page 10 200.gif?cid=85b9463d80xik7ddgy8mjfdj3cbx2uo0fe2euzlm5m7ksoto&rid=200
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:04 am

Warrior wrote:You guys blame marxism and nationalism, i think those booing the knee down only have a vague idea of these concepts

That's why i don't associate the booers to anything intellectual, it's a reaction straight from the heart. A self-centered reaction. A self-defense reaction. Trying to understand resistance to anti-racism i realize the answers lie in mediocrity of the mind, more than good vs evil.

I like your post overall, it makes alot of sense to me. Just wanted to highlight these 2 parts because it was directly related to what I mentioned earlier. I think this is true. This is why I am struggling with the correct termonolgy for it. To me, the kinds of people who feel they need to boo arent thinking at an intellectual level, but an instinctive one.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:41 am

but those people are throwing around the term "marxism" lol, just go on twitter and search marxism and you'll see... but yea most of them probably have no idea what it entails
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:18 am

I have seen both "sides" of the argument being called Marxist. It is a strange time.

Was just listening to a radio caller talk about the boo-ing at stadiums.

He says the reason why he and people like him boo is because they dont come to football matches to be lectured and educated on social issues. He isnt racist and he doesnt need to be told to not be racist.

Not sure what to make of this argument.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:14 pm

Thats a popular talking point. People dont like sports to be overly intertwined with politics.

And of course thats mainly a white people thing because minorities hope for as much exposure as possible, naturally.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:30 pm

I got annoyed watching the NBA All-Star game because I had to sit through 30 minutes of social justice/BLM song/lectures/speeches. I understand it can be tiresome.

But 30 secs of silence with people on their knee is surely not that big a deal.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:41 pm

Warrior wrote:http://globalnews.ca/news/7930240/london-ontario-family-killed-identified-mosque-host-vigil/

It happens in Canada too :facepalm: i just hope violence stops spreading, terrorism used to be rare and i realize it's increasing

A terrible, senseless act. RIP to these innocent people. The killer will be treated as a terrorist and get prison for life. It's unfair that he cannot get death penalty.

Was reading about this tragedy this morning. London is not at all far from Detroit, who has a massive Muslim population as well.

Trudeau has vowed to crack down hard on this, but I am cynical when it comes to politicians vowing to do anything that might actually help people in general, let alone immigrants. We'll see if he has the balls to do what Arden did after the Christchurch shooting. Different scales all around, of course, but the intent should be the same.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:26 pm

Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:51 am

Starting to miss the days without fans Laughing
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:25 am

AP wrote:“Politics has no place in sports,” Orbán said during a government news conference.

Before the match, the Hungarian soccer federation had already released a statement indicating that the country’s national team would not kneel.

Orbán said Hungarians only kneel before God, before their country, and when they ask for the hand of their lovers.

"If you're a guest in a country then understand its culture and do not provoke it," Orban told a press conference. "Do not provoke the host ... We can only see this gesture system from our cultural vantage point as unintelligible, as provocation."

He also said Hungarians do not have the moral duty of those from countries that had slavery.

“Hungary has never been a slave-keeping country,” he said. “We cannot feel that moral weight that those countries do.”

The Croatian national football team is following Hungary’s example in the 2020 UEFA European Football Championship, they are not planning to take the knee.

The Racism Thread - Page 10 1f62c
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:31 pm

I once commented on a Twitter story about interracial coupling in Hungary and the resultant children from those relationships and how they would be viewed. Orban said something very xenophobic about it in the article and I pushed back in the comment section. That was the first time I had ever been ratioed before.

Hell I still get pretty racist responses to that thread and that happened like 2 years ago Laughing

Orban's a racist, xenophobic, autocratic clown. Stuff like this proves that clearly.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:13 pm

cryin... McLewis knows what a ratio is

some very weird people live in those parts of the world.. once made a tweet about Arsenal drawing Galatasaray in the CL circa 2013 or something, and Turkish twitter said they were gunna come for my ass (literally there were some rape and killing "threats") Laughing granted i did call them c-u-n-t-s, so i thought it was fair game
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:35 am

I sure as hell found out what it was then. It's happened again a few other times because I don't really give a shit who I piss off on Twitter these days.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:59 pm

McLewis wrote:I sure as hell found out what it was then. It's happened again a few other times because I don't really give a shit who I piss off on Twitter these days.

Yeah I come to notice people get mad no matter what stance one takes at the end of the day. But when someone gets mad at someone else for making sense like that it's best to just not give a fuck honestly. I myself have met some pretty bigoted people on my time away here. One was even friends with me for year and we even went to watch an LAFC match together but eventually he ends up dipping on me and puts me in the "you hate god and this country" label but I didn't give a shit either since by then I figured out what he truly was
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:59 pm

[quote="Lord Awesome"]
McLewis wrote:I sure as hell found out what it was then. It's happened again a few other times because I don't really give a shit who I piss off on Twitter these days.

Yeah I come to notice people get mad no matter what stance one takes at the end of the day. But when someone gets mad at someone else for making sense like that it's best to just not give a fuck honestly. I myself have met some pretty bigoted people on my time away here. One was even friends with me for years and we even went to watch an LAFC match together but eventually he ends up dipping on me and puts me in the "you hate god and this country" label but I didn't give a shit either since by then I figured out what he truly was.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:43 pm

So yesterday was Juneteenth, a holiday that was, up until recently, celebrated mostly in Texas as it goes back to slaves in 1865 finding out that they had been freed by Abe Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation 2 years prior in 1863. They were the final slaves to find out they were free, which signal an effective end to slavery as a government-supported institution in America.

Just recently, Lincoln's successor, Joe Biden, signed a law that now makes Juneteenth a national holiday on par with Memorial Day and the 4th of July, giving us 3 major holidays in the summer time. The law did not pass either chamber of Congress unanimously, with Republicans in both chambers complaining that it's unnecessary given we have the 4th of July and that it's a needless day off for federal workers among other ridiculous reasons given. These voices were a clear minority though.

While I do not have a problem with Juneteenth itself ( I admittedly didn't even know of its existence until maybe 5 years ago and even then I personally acknowledged it, but didn't outwardly celebrated nor did any black person I know that didn't live in Texas), my problem lies with the way it has been used politically. Making Juneteenth a federal holiday does not solve any of the racial issues we're grappling with as a country. It doesn't prevent cops from murdering black people and then getting away with it. It doesn't racist white politicians from gerrymandering black communities into poverty and keeping them there. It doesn't protect black kids from food insecurity and poor educational systems and it sure as hell doesn't help single black parents do more than just get by on really shitty working wages.

But we're to believe that this holiday is supposed to be the solution apparently. Making Juneteenth a holiday does not appear to me an acknowledgement of the evils the US gov't allowed to happen hundreds of years ago. It reads as an appeasement and a deflection from the very real problems right now that need to be solved.

It's a setup for "We made Juneteenth a holiday, isn't that enough?" from Republicans who supported this and the Centrist Dems who pushed for it, black and white.

I really really hope I'm wrong and that the work continues, but I'm far too cynical to believe I am. Every Fortune 500 company is already churning out the performative nonsense to appear supportive, while doing virtually nothing to help solve the above problems.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:03 pm

Yeah I get where you're coming from.
There's this two-pronged approach by republicans of
1) Saying racism is over because Juneteenth is a holiday
2) Opposing the holiday and making it really hard to teach kids about it's origins.

The hypocrisy can be felt across the Atlantic.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:09 am

El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:54 pm

That comment Laughing

The Racism Thread - Page 10 She_ch10

Why swim caps for afro hair is not allowed ? Makes no sense whatsoever. Unless they give a technical reason it's hard to not see an attempt to discourage black people from swimming.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:30 pm

For their mental health. I hope Sancho, Rashford and Saka step away from their socials for a bit.

The racist vitriol coming their way is going to be overwhelming.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:39 pm

McLewis wrote:For their mental health. I hope Sancho, Rashford and Saka step away from their socials for a bit.

The racist vitriol coming their way is going to be overwhelming.

just seen their instas...its begun.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:43 pm

Predictable. They're English when they win, immigrants when they lose.

Same with the black French players as well.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:18 am

Deplorable. No other sport brings out this much ugliness.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18 ... 27  Next