The US Politics Thread - Page 27 Empty Re: The US Politics Thread

Post by Thimmy Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:41 am

Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:54 am

Changes nothing for me in the grand scheme of things, but this was not what I was expecting to read on my feed after spending most of the day painting my new house and listening to ancient history podcasts.

Immediately struck by him mentioning VP Harris, but not implicitly endorsing her as his replacement on the ticket. Perhaps that will happen later in the week, but a real curious bit of wording there.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:18 am

Apparently later is like 10 minutes later.....

My immediate emotion: Relief.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:46 am

How tf did Democrats let things go to this lol... So hope for a black female president, wow... any confidence in Harris? Dunno much but thought he gave the feeling as not too ready? Or is she good? Any chance to fight back cos Trump feels almost guarantee win now?

Democrats still cant find any better younger candidates? Razz
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:24 am

Congrats trump if he's going up against Kamala

Myesyats
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:25 am

I know a lot of people are convinced that this was necessary, but I genuinely can't tell if this is helpful or not.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:27 am

Well Biden was failing badly so no other choice? But Im just amazed firstly how Democrats bet so wrong on Biden knowing his health was failing n aging... then stuck with him for so long n now this... all the while never thought of bringing in younger guys? Razz
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:53 am

elitedam wrote:I know a lot of people are convinced that this was necessary, but I genuinely can't tell if this is helpful or not.

Yep same, if his replacement is Kamala i don't see how this will help Democrats chance, she is really weak as a candidate.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:38 am

It was definitely necessary.

Biden was treading water reasonably well enough post-debate, but once the big money donors straight up told him they would no longer donate to his campaign, that was the real body blow and he struggled to recover from it. Combine that with growing numbers of elected Dems calling for him to step aside, including even elite members like Nancy Pelosi and former President Obama and the writing was on the wall. It was a matter of if, not when.

Now with Harris likely to get the nomination, this should hopefully re-energize Dem voters.

As for Trump, this is a worst-case scenario for him and Republicans as now they're going to face a re-united Democrat Party, up and down the ticket. They really wanted Biden to stay in this race for that reason as his presence was causing rifts and divides not only within the party, but within the voting base. VP Harris represents a nightmare scenario for them as now she can position herself not only as the uniter of the party, but as as a prosecutor (which she was earlier in her career) facing off with a criminal in Trump. She's also the Dems' most effective speaker on the topic of abortion, which is among Trump's biggest political weaknesses as evidenced by almost no one mentioning it at all during the week long Republican Convention. For the party that overturned Roe v Wade, one would think they wouldn't be able to stop talking about it yet......crickets. Harris has the ability to exploit that weakness effectively and will likely be key to Dems winning down ballot races.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:41 am

I was already a bit aware of Biden's changes in stance on several topics from reading about it on the internet, but it is a bit strange to hear it from the man, himself.

Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:07 pm

That's because democratic politics and opinions are sold to the highest bidder. They don't have autonomy.

Trump doesn't need them and can do as he pleases, which is why they are doing everything in their power to prevent him from winning.
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:32 pm

A society where pronouns and outfit are more important than merit is doomed to fail

Myesyats
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:53 pm

Thimmy wrote:I was already a bit aware of Biden's changes in stance on several topics from reading about it on the internet, but it is a bit strange to hear it from the man, himself.

Kinda insane that Trump hasn't changed at all in 4 decades lmfao

Myesyats
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:47 pm

Good to know Harris at least have some chance... plssss, even as outsider, Trump again would feel like doom again...
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:02 am

Vibe wrote:
Trump doesn't need them and can do as he pleases, which is why they are doing everything in their power to prevent him from winning.

Trump was once one of those bidders though. He donated generously to Democrats for quite some time. He even donated to Kamala Harris' campaign for Attorney General back in 2011:

He donated another $1K to her campaign in 2013 too.

Recency bias is a helluva drug.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:03 am

Myesyats wrote:A society where pronouns and outfit are more important than merit is doomed to fail

"Merit" is a racist dog whistle.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:27 am

Vibe wrote:That's because democratic politics and opinions are sold to the highest bidder. They don't have autonomy.
Republican politics are sold to the highest bidder with the lowest morals, they don't have autonomy. They're the vassals of the remaining Koch brother, Halliburton, and the like.

All of Trump's behavior suggests he desperately needs money, from whomever.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:25 am

McLewis wrote:

Laughing

And you wonder why Trump is gonna win? This is turning society on its head. It's like giving a trophy to the losing team.

Is it a win for black people, for women, or for anyone that they get hired only to be a figurehead and a token? Should be embarrassing rather than rewarding. Kamala is only going to get badly found out if they don't replace her

Myesyats
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:46 am

VivaStPauli wrote:
Vibe wrote:That's because democratic politics and opinions are sold to the highest bidder. They don't have autonomy.
Republican politics are sold to the highest bidder with the lowest morals, they don't have autonomy. They're the vassals of the remaining Koch brother, Halliburton, and the like.

All of Trump's behavior suggests he desperately needs money, from whomever.

Quite the opposite.  He was a billionaire before... but Trump Media & Technology Group went public earlier in 2024.  He owns 60% of it.  The ticker is TMTG.  The company has a market value of $7 billion as of today (look it up).  So this asset alone is worth 4.2 billion for Trump, let alone his real estate assets that are completely separate (estimated to be worth another 2-3 billion).

That's why establishment Republicans (and Democrats) are deathly afraid of him.  He cannot be bought.  

The way US politics works is that the parties control the finances and the politicians are reliant on the parties to fund their campaigns.  That's the stick that Pelosi uses with Democrats... you go against our wishes and I'll take away your money.  "Unity" is about money and nothing else.

Republicans can't do that with Trump.  They tried... it failed.  Now he has his personal fortune AND the superpac funds of the Republicans.

Another detail worthy of note is that Trump can't use his money on his campaign directly because that would de facto turn his personal accounts into campaign accounts.  He needs to donate to his own campaign first and then spend money via that entity.  Any account he uses for campaign activities automatically becomes regulated as a campaign account.

That was the crux of the nonsensical lawsuit against him in New York.  Early in his campaign for his 2016 presidency, he was self-funding the campaign.  He was using one of his personal bank accounts and it happened to be the one he used to pay Cohen (his attorney) who then used the money on Stormy Daniels.  This technicality allowed New York to say that Trump was using campaign money inappropriately on himself, even though it was all his own money.  That's why it's so laughable.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:50 am

Harris running is the best case scenario for Trump other than Biden.  I have a lot of Dem friends in New York City... they're up in arms today lol.  They refuse to vote for Harris.

As one of them said to me:  "We were all afraid of Harris becoming president if Biden died.  Now they make her the candidate?  F them.  I'm not voting. Let Trump rake them over the coals for 4 years and then they can stop taking people for complete fools."
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:55 am

McLewis wrote:
Vibe wrote:

Trump was once one of those bidders though. He donated generously to Democrats for quite some time. He even donated to Kamala Harris' campaign for Attorney General back in 2011:

He donated another $1K to her campaign in 2013 too.

Recency bias is a helluva drug.

Business people (including myself a little over a decade ago) who need political advocates donate to both sides regardless of the candidate.  Need to have access to whomever wins... party doesn't matter.

In real estate projects of larger sizes, politicians control "neighborhood groups", which, if you're asking for some special permission, can kill a project during a public hearing.  It's a legal way for politicians to blackmail.  These donations are made so that the politicians steer these groups away from causing trouble. Trump has a lot of real estate in California. Here's the biggest one: https://www.trumpnationallosangeles.com/
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:05 am

Myesyats wrote:
McLewis wrote:

Laughing

And you wonder why Trump is gonna win? This is turning society on its head. It's like giving a trophy to the losing team.

Is it a win for black people, for women, or for anyone that they get hired only to be a figurehead and a token? Should be embarrassing rather than rewarding. Kamala is only going to get badly found out if they don't replace her

As always you're ignoring the context or deliberately not mentioning why they are talking like that on this video. Rolling Eyes
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:09 am

The idea that billionaires can't be bought is fucking hilarious. Of course, they can. They're just more expensive.

Also, a lot of people are afraid of Trump not because of his money, but because he tried to overthrow the government.

I don't think Harris is a particularly good candidate, and I have no idea how things will work out, but I am taking a little solace from the fact that Republicans are crying like little bitches over Biden dropping out.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:15 am

So after all im still completely lost Sad lol...
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:52 am

Pedram wrote:
Myesyats wrote:
McLewis wrote:

Laughing

As always you're ignoring the context or deliberately not mentioning why they are talking like that on this video. Rolling Eyes

what context exactly? That she's the first female VP?

I guess I can understand her excitement in this specific case. But that's not the point. She was chosen to be Biden's running mate to win over the black vote. It was for optics, not necessarily her ability.

IIRC she was polling around 2% in the primary Laughing

Decades ago Biden rallied against desegregation because his kids would grow up in a "racial jungle". Kamala was enforced upon him

Myesyats
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:04 am

Myesyats wrote:
Pedram wrote:
Myesyats wrote:

Laughing

what context exactly? That she's the first female VP?

I guess I can understand her excitement in this specific case. But that's not the point. She was chosen to be Biden's running mate to win over the black vote. It was for optics, not necessarily her ability.

IIRC she was polling around 2% in the primary Laughing

Decades ago Biden rallied against desegregation because his kids would grow up in a "racial jungle". Kamala was enforced upon him

There were disabled/blind people on that meeting and Kamala was simply being courteous toward them.

Do you even read the comments below a tweet? your answer was literally there but i guess you're so hyper-focused on wokism that you can't see anything else. :facepalm:
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 34 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 30 ... 34  Next