32 posters

Page 12 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next

Go down

The US Politics Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The US Politics Thread

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:33 pm

Pedram wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:

Who's ready for another 8 years of trump

That's what you get for appeasing Manchin and Sinema, should've gone scorched earth on them when they were derailing his agenda.

I mean, no, they should've appeased them and passed something. In the end they didn't appease them and they didn't pass anything of substance, and will rightfully get slaughtered in 6 months.

The story of the past 1.5 years is letting perfect be the enemy of good.

BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:36 pm

CBarca wrote:With that being said, that graph is based on predictive betting markets. As far as I'm concerned, this far out from the actual election, you can pretty much disregard them except for the base facts: Biden and Trump are the two most likely next presidents, and the momentum is with the GOP.

However, there is no real need to have a graph to tell me that as of right now.
Obviously not quite predictive, but it tells us that as of right now the market expects Trump to be the next president by some distance. A lot can change in 2.5 years so we'll see, but it's tough to see how Biden will get out of this as he will necessarily have to cool off the economy to control inflation, so he won't arrive to 2024 in a position of strength.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:48 pm

so how many overall terms can someone have as US president?? i thought it was only two terms max...

in response to BC saying "another 8 years of Trump".
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:59 pm

2 consecutive, but if you break it up I think you could have as many as people will elect you for, iirc
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:41 pm

Without being too familiar but think I know the basics at least, Its quite puzzling to me that how is it the US the 'greatest/strongest/most advanced' country in the world can only conjour up the likes of Trump/Biden to be presidents? I know its a popularity contest for the masses so, n the real ppl are behind the scenes more but still... feels pretty embarrassing?

Also random question what do ppl think of Obama as president, was he good?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:44 pm

Warrior wrote:Why the fuck would Trump be elected again lol. Republican party has nobody better to propose ?

My prophecy will become a reality. It's time for democrats to nominate Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as candidate. I guarantee nobody beats him in a 1v1 election and certainly not Trump

Obama's opponent was McCain who was also very bad from what I gathered recently? I didnt care about politics at all until the last few yrs so am catching up on knowledge of the past, but cant help but still many presidents are idiots especially Republicans Razz Is it becos the ppl who runs things like to have someone who is popular n easy to control as their president?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:05 am

Idk any more than you and i thought Trump's come back was just a meme. Surely there are people in the republican party who have similar agendas without being controversial every day and insulting people, being blatantly racist etc. This guy is always fueling conflicts it seems already forgotten that he almost brought the country into civil war Laughing
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:26 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:2 consecutive, but if you break it up I think you could have as many as people will elect you for, iirc

This is incorrect. You can only serve two terms total, even if they're broken up. The 22nd amendment clears this up:

"No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President, when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term."

tl;dr you can serve two terms totaling 8 years. You can actually serve 10 years of president in the case that you took over as acting president for less than two years of some original four year term of someone else (i.e. if a Pres dies and VP serves less than two years). But if you took over for more than two years, you're limited to just one reelection bid.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:28 pm

Trump is limited to another 4 years if he were to be elected. As much of an authoritarian fuckwit as he is, to serve anything more than another 4 would be against the constitution and I don't think even Republicans would go for it.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:53 pm

Thanks for the correction cb Thumbs up
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:31 am

BarcaLearning wrote:
Warrior wrote:Why the fuck would Trump be elected again lol. Republican party has nobody better to propose ?

My prophecy will become a reality. It's time for democrats to nominate Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as candidate. I guarantee nobody beats him in a 1v1 election and certainly not Trump

Obama's opponent was McCain who was also very bad from what I gathered recently? I didnt care about politics at all until the last few yrs so am catching up on knowledge of the past, but cant help but still many presidents are idiots especially Republicans Razz Is it becos the ppl who runs things like to have someone who is popular n easy to control as their president?

I mean, republican voter base is mainly rural so by default a republican candidate has to use simpler language to communicate to their voters. I dont think Trump is particularly dumb either, seems average or slightly above average in terms of IQ, but a president needs to have a range of other skills than just being intelligent, for starters just having a high IQ doesnt mean you are capable of leading others.

But also just using simple language doesnt mean a person is dumb. Explaining complex issues in simple language so that everyone understands is not easy to do.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:56 pm

Yea I get it... learning as I go... thing with McCann from was back in 2008 crisis was he paused the campaige vs Obama to have an emergency meeting with everyone but then failed to know anything about finance to suggest anything to be done at that meeting, just so unbelievably embarrassing... I guess Trump is indeed still the best that Republicans can come up with atm Razz
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue May 03, 2022 12:22 pm

This isn't all that surprising. This is exactly why so many voted for Trump in 2016. That presented their best chance to do exactly what appears is going to happen soon.

Still, it's pretty jarring.

And make no mistake, this will not stop abortions from occuring. Women are going to seek it out regardless of what the laws say. This will just guarantee that those abortions will be less safe, which will mean women are going to die trying to get them.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue May 03, 2022 2:09 pm

Oh for fucks sake

No
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue May 03, 2022 7:03 pm

This sucks. Gutted, incredibly sad.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue May 03, 2022 8:44 pm

If only the democrats controlled the executive and legislature branches and could pass a law to address this...
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue May 03, 2022 9:52 pm

Pro-life stance is just pathetic
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed May 04, 2022 1:35 am

well human beings are pathetic, arent they
incel rates finna go up Laughing
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed May 04, 2022 4:06 am

Democrats had 50 years to do codify this decision into law. 50 Years. That's a lot of time, majorities and opportunities to get this done. They lulled themselves and their voters into a false sense of security and allowed the GOP to chip away at every advantage they had, leading to this.

It won't stop here either. Obergefell v Hodges, which serves as the basis for permitting gay marriage, is next on the conservative SCOTUS wishlist.

Then there's Griswold v Connecticut, which guaranteed the freedom of married couples to use contraceptives.

There's Lawrence vs Texas, which guaranteed a right to privacy for LGBTQ+ couples engaging in consensual sexual contact.

And lastly, and this is perhaps the most unlikely, but Loving v Virginia, which guaranteed the freedom of interracial marriage. I say this one is a bit more unlikely as Clarence Thomas, a SCOTUS justice, and Mitch McConnell, the most powerful Republican in Congress, both are in interracial marriages.

Conservatives (particularly cis-gendered white Christian ones) want all of those decisions overturned and they have the numbers in SCOTUS to do it.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed May 04, 2022 7:18 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:If only the democrats controlled the executive and legislature branches and could pass a law to address this...

That wouldn't be a bipartisan thing to do so no way

sorry ladies
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed May 04, 2022 9:27 am

can Americans just go to Canada and get an abortion? folks here do that, they just cross border with the Czech Rep. since 2 years ago when they made these laws stricter too.

It takes a special kind of stupid to be a pro-life advocate/protester. And it's lots of women too, bitches trying to imprison themself or what.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed May 04, 2022 12:02 pm

Myesyats wrote:can Americans just go to Canada and get an abortion? folks here do that, they just cross border with the Czech Rep. since 2 years ago when they made these laws stricter too.

It takes a special kind of stupid to be a pro-life advocate/protester. And it's lots of women too, bitches trying to imprison themself or what.

For the wealthy on the East and West Coasts? Absolutely that's a possibility. For the poor and working class in the Deep South or Midwest? It's much harder.

Idaho has a law on the books that makes it a crime to cross the state line into another state to get an abortion. Given that Canada borders a slim part of Northern Idaho, the law would probably apply there too. That's what women there are up against.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed May 04, 2022 12:40 pm

Religion and politics again proving to be a terrible mix

What next ?? Arkansas pulls a law that forces you to eat fish on friday hmm

The christian political agenda is futile, mostly caring about what happens under people's bed sheets. Wtf
It's even worse since they think morality is on their side. Morality by the standards of middle ages, that is
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat May 07, 2022 8:56 pm

And so it begins:

This was always the endgame for the pro-birth movement in this country. This is also the literal backdrop of the Handmaid's Tale. The only difference is that the right-wing attempt to overthrow the government failed in reality, whereas it succeeded in the books/TV show.

The ultimate goal here is turn anyone capable of pregnancy from human beings into incubators whose sole job is to breed.

And it gets worse:

I find it convenient that they've decided that life begins at fertilization, which means coitus interruptus could potentially be seen as a form of abortion as well. I mean, technically it's preventing sperm from seeking eggs to fertilize. It's a denial potentially of the opportunity at life. But the right aren't brave enough to go down that road. That leads to the banning of masturbation as well.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat May 07, 2022 10:23 pm

Whos behind the supreme court thats pushing for this? Always thought US politics is just all about winning votes, so who would get more votes for pushing this?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun May 08, 2022 12:05 am

We don't know who leaked that initial memo yet. FBI are investigating.

As for which party stands to gain, theoretically it would be the Democrats as they can use this issue to turn out voters, primarily women, in November.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next