Ranking of the Best Players in History by the Level Reached in Their Prime - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Ranking of the Best Players in History by the Level Reached in Their Prime

+19
M99
Cruijf
Bankz
rincon
sportsczy
Thimmy
titosantill
RealGunner
TheOneWhoKnocks
Kebab
BarcaLearning
futbol
Valkyrja
VivaStPauli
breva
Casciavit
VanDeezNuts
Art Morte
The Demon of Carthage
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ranking of the Best Players in History by the Level Reached in Their Prime - Page 2 Empty Re: Ranking of the Best Players in History by the Level Reached in Their Prime

Post by sportsczy Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:49 am

Zico and Socrates came to Europe in their 30s....  well past their prime in those days.  The Brazilian league was considered the best in the world (remember how Zico's team destroyed the "team of the century" Liverpool).

So their European club play meant very little to me.

I travelled with my father for business for 4 weeks to South America and he was a football nut.  Got a chance to see Corinthians and Flamengo live.  Let me tell you...  Socrates was out of this world.  So was Zico.

And Platini was considered, without the shadow of a doubt, the best player in Serie A and Europe from 1983 through 1986.  He played WC 1986 injured at the age of 31.  His prime years were actually at St Etienne...  people forget he went to Juve at the age of 27.

And Van Basten was nothing short of insane at Ajax.

People need to understand the context of football pre-Bosman ruling.  Very few players left their home countries.  So you had to be born in the right country to play for the elite clubs.  And English football dominated Europe from the mid 70s through the mid 80s... Serie A became the best league in the late 80s on. The World Cup was really the only competition where all the best players were present and competed against each other.

And to trump all that, the best club football league was in South America without the shadow of a doubt for me.

sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Ranking of the Best Players in History by the Level Reached in Their Prime - Page 2 Empty Re: Ranking of the Best Players in History by the Level Reached in Their Prime

Post by breva Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:42 pm

The best football leagues have always been in Europe.

From 84 to 89 Maradona was the best player in Serie A, not Platini.
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Absolutely not true... Until the mid to late 80s, South America had the best football leagues in the world by a country mile. Copa Libertadores was the best club competition in the world.

This isn't even up for debate.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:02 pm

Platini was unanimous BdO in 1983, 1984 and 1985. Maradona didn't even make the podium.

Top scorer in Serie A those 3 years.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:24 pm

sportsczy wrote:Platini was unanimous BdO in 1983, 1984 and 1985. Maradona didn't even make the podium.

BdO was an award only given to europeans until 1995. Of course Maradona wasn't in the podium, he wasn't eligible for it hmm
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Ronaldo nazario 1994 - 98 is the single greatest sporting phenomenon known to mankind imo.

And just to add my 2 cents. Maradona will always be greater than platini whichever way you look at it. Whether by talent, reputation, trophies, achievements, popularity, star factor. It's that simple really.

And lol at sneaking zidane into this argument Laughing the guy basically never even had a peak period of dominance lol. He is only basically mentioned by the media based on his talent and his likeable reputation. This is a thread about absolute peaks and not a thread about which French man I like the most.

Speaking of peaks I'd rather put in Henry 2003 - 2006 before even van hasten. My 2 cents anyway.
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:57 pm

breva wrote:The best football leagues have always been in Europe.

Delete your account
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:04 pm

sportsczy wrote:Platini was unanimous BdO in 1983, 1984 and 1985. Maradona didn't even make the podium.

He would have zero or at best one if South Americans were eligible to win it.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:04 am

i think that debate about r9 vs van basten, should really be henry vs van basten. i like van basten (never liked milan), but cos of gullit i saw a lot of marco. thing is we had seen strikers like him, when r9 stepped on the scene , we hadn't seen that, at least not from a cf, and if pele did those things, it was before my time. r9 was like a maradona in the striker role.

and really henry mehn, the only reason i find it easy to put marco above him is because of my dislike for arsenal. but if i'm being truthful its a toss up. henry from 01 till when he left arsenal was a beast. and in his absolute prime he was the best cf in the world over ronaldo eto'o sheva ruud and all those guys....many a time, his team's ucl exit was due to guys like pascal cygan and naive arsene
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:33 am

sportsczy wrote:Absolutely not true... Until the mid to late 80s, South America had the best football leagues in the world by a country mile. Copa Libertadores was the best club competition in the world.

This isn't even up for debate.

Not even close to the European Leagues, stop spouting nonsense.
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:11 am

that south american league stuff is bull jive. people where not leaving to join the brazilian nor argentine league in droves, not to even mention uruguay, colombia, paaraguay. i'm not going to act like i was versed in brazilian football but i don't think socrates was ever the de facto boss in brazil. and all those guys where much older than maradona, its not like they where the same age, the guy was really the definition of a prodigy
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful Football Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:58 am

Player i have watched week and week out in their prime is Messi, Ronaldinho and Ronaldo Lima. All of them was unreal and was such a joy to watch. Even though Ronaldinho's peak was very brief but man what a player he was!! His tricks was better than any of today's player.

Beautiful Football
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:10 am

at first glance, for juan roman riquelme:

his top peak by year:

2000;
2001;
2005;
2006;
2007;

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:30 am

Very similar style to Messi, even more so than Maradona. What a player ffs
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Kebab Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:05 am

I think he is more similar to Maradona, tricks, fancy passes and the hair
So many dribblers in old times. I dont know if it was weak tactics or they were really great dribblers
Kebab
Kebab
Cant go to the last pages in mobile version. There is no page numbers

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:27 pm

Kebab wrote:I think he is more similar to Maradona, tricks, fancy passes and the hair
So many dribblers in old times. I dont know if it was weak tactics or they were really great dribblers

If anything, the defenders were given much more leeway in terms of fouling attacking dribblers in the times of Maradona, Pele etc.
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Y’all should post the year you considered peak next to the players name when doing the ranking.
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by terrance511 Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:01 pm

yeah, riquelme has my vote.

best argentinian footballer.

terrance511
terrance511
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2