Art Morte
Fahim89
mr-r34
Red Alert
McAgger
11 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

We should NOT extend Gerrard... - Page 3 Empty Re: We should NOT extend Gerrard...

Post by mr-r34 Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:58 am

Can i ask, go back to the start of the last season how would you guys use gerrard?

Because if his a benchy that comes on for the last 15-30 mins in an AM or CM role good luck thinking that was ever an option lol.

His our *bleep* captain his probably leaving cause he doesn't want a bench role.

And if you think he has the legs for AM or CM only playing once a week, which most of last year was nearly every game, then your delusional at best.

What other way could Rodgers of gave him as much game time other then that deep role.

Because i'm sure as hell at 32 he wouldn't of accepted being a bench player.

mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

We should NOT extend Gerrard... - Page 3 Empty Re: We should NOT extend Gerrard...

Post by McAgger Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:20 am

No one is talking about last season. It's this season we're discussing. At least I am. Last season whatever Stevie's faults defensively he had turned back the years and had one of his better seasons offensively. So last seasons management of him was good in my eyes at least.

It's this season I have a problem with. We went out and bought shit ton of players to increase depth and yet 34 years old Gerrard still played 90 minutes 6 times every 2 weeks. No wonder the guy plays 1 good game every 6 matches.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:03 am

Should be be playing as a ball playing centre back? With Skrtel and Sakho next to him for the time being? That way Henderson/Can/Lucas can play in midfield. hmm
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:15 am

It's got nothing to do with last season. He should have been used sparingly this season. But he ended up playing in 26 of the 29 games. 2131 minutes out of 2640 minutes.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:19 am

mr-r34 wrote:Can i ask, go back to the start of the last season how would you guys use gerrard?

His our *bleep* captain his probably leaving cause he doesn't want a bench role.

Either as the deep-lying playmaker for 90 minutes or a more attacking substitute for 20-30 minutes.

And I don't believe he wouldn't accept a bench role, he'll be 35 by the start of next season and he's not stupid. Of course he understands that there are almost none 35+ regular starters in the Prem (unless they're CBs or GKs), let alone in the top teams.

Rosicky accepts a bench role at Arsenal, Drogba accepts a bench role at Chelsea, Osman and Eto'o accept a bench role at Everton, Lovren wants a reserve team bench role at Liverpool, Lampard accepts a bench role at Man City. Players know the reality, they don't demand a guaranteed starting spot when they're in the senior years.

Red Alert wrote:Should be be playing as a ball playing centre back? With Skrtel and Sakho next to him for the time being? That way Henderson/Can/Lucas can play in midfield. hmm

Otherwise yes, but I doubt his man-to-man defending or tracking and marking of attackers is good enough. But your suggestion would be almost the same as going back to how we were playing last season, with a back-four with Gerrard in front of them, playing almost in the same line with the CBs when we have the ball and two CMs in front of him.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:21 am

"Lovren wants a reserve team bench role at Liverpool"

I think he's just playing to the best of his abilities, sir. Proud
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:31 am

Either as the deep-lying playmaker for 90 minutes or a more attacking substitute for 20-30 minutes.
Thumbs up :bow:
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:54 pm

I don't think Mr Liverpool is going to accept a bench role which will effectively see him lose his spot as our captain. Blah Blah when he comes on he'll be captain but we really know what the go is.

All the players you named that accept bench roles are no Gerrard s for their respective clubs.

Again trying to accommodate for Gerrard isn't the best thing for our Club, which we all know comes first. If he can't play in the midfield and won't accept a bench role, then his made the right decision to move abroad no matter how tough it was.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:40 pm

Well I don't think he's leaving because of reduced role - especially since his role has been anything but reduced this season, only Sterling, Henderson and Mignolet have more PL minutes this season than Gerrard. A player would have to be frigging deluded to think they're guaranteed starters at a top club at 35.

I think there are two main reasons Gerrard's leaving:

a) Liverpool FC not showing enough desire to keep him. FSG are quite well-known for wanting to pay players what their current level and performances entitle them to earn, not really reward long-serving players who are past their peak. It was a year or two ago when there was a piece of news about our club researching the possibility of a "pay-as-you-perform" wage structure. And FSG prefer younger players who have re-sale value and peaking or yet to peak. I reckon the offer we made to Gerrard was on clearly reduced terms. Obviously we can say "he doesn't need more money", but put yourself in a situation where you know you have 2-3 years at most left to earn big from your profession and then are faced with a massive drop in income for the rest of your life, 30, 40, 50 years. I know I would be tempted to look for a last big paycheck if my old club offered me much less than in my previous contract.

b) Gerrard realizing that he won't light the Premier League on fire any more. I'm sure he is well aware of his current level. He confirmed today that he's going to the Major League Soccer and purely from the perspective of how much he can enjoy playing football, he's probably going to have a better time on the field over there. What might also be a factor is last season, when we came so close to winning the PL, had one of the best players in the world in the team and were playing great football. Our collapse this season has inevitably made Gerrard realize that that season was most likely the best Liverpool are going to have with him still at the club, so maybe his motivation to get us on the rise once again just wasn't there any more, given his age.

I think he will get a nice contract for a couple of season from the MLS - probably worth more than what we were willing to pay him - and he sees that level to suit his level and his motivation better than staying at Liverpool. But I don't believe he's leaving because refusing a reduced role at Liverpool.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:23 pm

Liverpool are already considering re-signing Steven Gerrard on loan next January during the MLS off-season (Telegraph)

This was by Bascombe who is pretty reliable . . then again that's too far in the past :coffee:
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:47 pm

Does Liverpool own a MLS team? That's the only way City pulled it off because the contract was owned by the parent company of both City and NY FC as opposed to NY FC. MLS is never going allow that again... already made changes to the league bylaws to make it illegal. There's a class action lawsuit brewing by some of the NY FC season ticket holders if they don't get reimbursed and they'd likely win.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:59 pm

Tbh I'm in two minds whether I'd like to see Gerrard come back just for a couple of months next January. It could have a disruptive effect and when a major legend like him leaves, I think I'd prefer it to be for once and for all, not that he comes back after seven months for a few more matches.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:36 am

https://vid.me/qCXE

To me in his final interview it seems as the main reason is the reduced role, it's not Rodgers fault like most of you are insinuating, like Gerrard said, his going to be 35 soon, his not delusional in the fact that he needs to be managed better than a deep lying player every week, he doesn't fancy that so end of really, makes sense, Gerrard is Gerrard, you really can't be the captain of the club and then move on to a lesser role, it's not even comparable to Carra's situation. It's a sad day, but it had to happen.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:45 am

I said this from the beginning. It's nobody's fault. Gerrard has too much pride and is too competitive to accept being a bit part player even for the club he loves. Rodgers has no choice but to make him one at this point because he just doesn't have the legs to be relied on every match as a starting XI player. I wish people would stop trying to blame literally everything on Rodgers at this club it's ridiculous. I absolutely love Gerrard and am just as gutted as the rest of you, but this is just one of those things that is happening because of life and time.

I will definitely be carrying a Gerrard banner at every TFC home game he makes it out to though.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:47 am

iftikhar wrote:It's got nothing to do with last season. He should have been used sparingly this season. But he ended up playing in 26 of the 29 games. 2131 minutes out of 2640 minutes.

Be realistic. Gerrard was never going to be a bench player while he was here. Watch his interview he's clearly leaving because he's not ready to be one.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:12 am

You just can't go from Mr Liverpool to being a bench player and still trying to maintain captaincy. It doesn't work for the club, it would of undermined Hendo's leadership on the field. This is why i thought Rodgers was extending Gerrards career, he was never going to accept a bench role, so playing him deeper was an option to help him remain in the team longer, dunno why rodgers copped so much slack on this when he did all he could.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:09 am

El Cujo wrote:
iftikhar wrote:It's got nothing to do with last season. He should have been used sparingly this season. But he ended up playing in 26 of the 29 games. 2131 minutes out of 2640 minutes.

Be realistic. Gerrard was never going to be a bench player while he was here. Watch his interview he's clearly leaving because he's not ready to be one.
Be realistic. It was Rodgers job to manage Gerrard. And in the hindsight, imagine the good it would have done to Gerrard, Rodgers and Liverpool.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:11 am

What do you mean, it seems once Rodgers spoke to him recently about being managed, his mind was made up, imagine Rodgers came out of the beginning of the season and said that.

Gerrard wants to be a starter, if he can't get that he won't sit on the bench and accept a squad role and pretty much lose his captaincy.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:14 pm

You know what, I don't deserve to live in the same planet as Gerrard. Shame on me for creating this thread.

Please god, keep this beautiful specimen at our club. Forget all logic, he is Liverpool FC.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:38 pm

Okay can you guys help me out?

What did you want the club to do to keep Gerrard?

His said his leaving for game time, is this a lie? Is he just trying to cover up the owners not valuing him at the club? If so why is he lying to all the fans? It's only asking for a messy situation to turn ugly if his covering up a lie.

How much money does he want? What's an acceptable amount for a bench player that honestly adds more value off the pitch then on(If you use the last 2 games as an argument to this i won't even bother, 2 penos against Leicester, and a league 2 side)?

Gerrards ultimate role beyond this season at the club would be a squad player/ Developing coach/ Amabasader. I would pay him big money to stay at our club at that capacity no questions asked, his still the biggest draw card for big name signings we have.

Also if he did stay on in a role like the above where he wasn't starting/playing every week, would you say he would need to be replaced as the official captain? If so this would be a massive reason to not stay, Gerrard can't not be our captain, his my Liverpool. It's also undermines Henderson and doesn't really allow him to maxamise and develop as a captain.

I just don't wee why were dragging this on and being bitter when we could just be celebrating what's left of the greatest LFC player so far.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:46 pm

@mrr because it's Steven Gerrard and Liverpool . . the love affair is too deep to be lost Sad
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:52 pm

And that's why we should try and make the best of what it is, for him, after everything, let's just make sure it ends in positive light, let's hope the boys go and win a cup(FA cup, the final is on his 35th birthday apparently.)
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:00 pm

It would be nice if we gave him a pre-birthday gift on March 1st with the COC win.

Birthday gift on May 20 with the FA Cup win

and Post Birthday career celebratory gift with the EL on May 27th Proud
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:06 pm

Don't call me James wrote:It would be nice if we gave him a pre-birthday gift on March 1st with the COC win.

Birthday gift on May 20 with the FA Cup win

and Post Birthday career celebratory gift with the EL on May 27th Proud

Treble Proud
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:54 pm

Started his career very early with a treble. Finishing his career with the same treble. :bow:

Stevie's career is hollywoodesque, it's very possible for it to happen.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:15 am

He was literally the only one that wanted to win this game today, it seems if he wants the treble/or at least just ONE trophy he's going to have to win every game by himself. Teams an embarrassment. Then again, we played away from home, and we pretty much perform like that every game on the road. :facepalm:
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next