Eman
Raptorgunner
djoe26
Sina
VendettaRed07
41 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Danny Welbeck - Gunner Galactico - Page 6 Empty Re: Danny Welbeck - Gunner Galactico

Post by MJ Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:55 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Actually Chambers replaced Vermaelen while Arteta/Flamini ARE natural defensive midfielders. Numbers wise as Wenger would say, we're the same as last season defensively but we added in attack which was very much welcome and much more needed in my opinion.

Losing Sagna, a RB/CB and replacing him with a RB means we're one short in a way.

Last season we could start Per-Kos or Bac-Verm

Now it's Per-Kos or Cham-Monreal

lol, that's not very adequate replacing. I really like Chambers and I think we've got a special player on our hands but at 19 we're losing a lot of experience from Vermaelen. We're stretched thin for a 50 game season.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Danny Welbeck - Gunner Galactico - Page 6 Empty Re: Danny Welbeck - Gunner Galactico

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:06 pm

Last season:

CB: Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Sagna
RB: Sagna, Jenkinson
LB: Gibbs, Monreal

This season:

CB: Mertesacker, Koscielny, Chambers, Monreal
RB: Debuchy, Bellerin
LB: Gibbs, Monreal

See, numbers wise it's the same. The only difference is Monreal now is 4th choice CB rather than Sagna. We did well to replace Vermaelen with Chambers and Bellerin > Jenkinson. The only downside (a big one aswell) is Debuchy replacing Sagna, we completely *bleep* that up.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:25 pm

That's the issue. I'm not convinced with Monreal as CB. Sagna was much more capable.

He hasn't been tested enough (Nacho) there but we shouldn't have to be relying on him in that capacity.

Mock up our second XI. We're short a man in defense

Bellerin-Chambers-Monreal-?? (we'd have to start Gibbs in this case)

Whereas last season it was:
Jenk-Verm-Bac-Nacho (Bac was normally a starter so it's the same as the previous XI, not having anyone to replace Bac)

Even if the numbers are the same, the positions we have available aren't.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:43 pm

True enough, but my point is that we needed attacking signings more than defensive ones. All we had to do was replace Sagna with a RB rather than a failed winger who acts like a RB, and find someone better than Vermaelen which we did. We signed Debuchy so we need even more goals than we needed with Sagna, that's why attacking signings > defensive signings this season. If we signed someone like Juanfran or Lichtsteiner I would agree but we didn't.

Replacing Sagna was always going to be a problem but we managed to completely bottle it.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:49 pm

I think Debuchy is a great replacement for Sanga, not sure if we could have done a better job.

Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:03 am

The only reason there's so much Welbeck discussion already is because the Interlull is boring. Gotta talk about something.

urbaNRoots wrote:The only downside (a big one aswell) is Debuchy replacing Sagna, we completely *bleep* that up.

I don't think we screwed up the Debuchy-for-Sagna. Was pretty fine transfer business IMO.

Sagna wanted out, a new challenge and more money, there wasn't much we could do. Which fine because as great a club servant as he was (and he definitely was), he's beginning what will be a very expensive decline at Man City ...

Debuchy, meanwhile, is better at a few things than Sagna is, and where Sagna may be better (on defensive aspects especially) he isn't a huge downgrade in anything in particular. Plus he's at a prime age for a defender and yet because he's 29 or whatever, he won't hold back the progress of someone like Bellerin, Chambers, or even Jenkinson, should one or more of those guys have a real future as Arsenal RB.

Very sensible acquisition, Debuchy.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:36 am

Can deliver a decent cross

Sagna x
Debuchy

Is not afraid to pass the ball forward

Sagna x
Debuchy

Honestly don't see how anyone can complain about the Debuchy/Sagna swap
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:16 am

Decent attributes to have as a winger. I'm more interested about his defensive abilities seeing as he's erm... supposedly a RB.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RedMamba Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:14 am

Although short on numbers, there is a great team in there. However, wenger is not the man to make brave, drastic yet common sense tactical changes due to his stubbornness.

we are unbeaten this season after all, never mind the clueless chicken shit performances!

RedMamba
RedMamba
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:11 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Decent attributes to have as a winger. I'm more interested about his defensive abilities seeing as he's erm... supposedly a RB.
Fullbacks who defend are so 1995. The new fad is fullbacks who are awesome in attack eg. Baines, Marcelo, Evra etc but are defensively kak
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:34 pm

Debuchy's fine defensively, for the most part. He's a more aggressive player than Sagna in every sense, which means the backline has to grow accustomed to a very different style of player and that's not something that's going to happen right away. But as of now, I've yet to see anything from him that's a cause for concern.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:42 pm

http://arseblog.com/2014/09/balance-at-the-back/ : Sums up the problem very well. (Not sure if already posted)

Can we move all this FB discussion to a separate thread? Or atleast to the Debuchy thread? It's damned deceiving to come here looking for Welbeck related posts, only to find posts on Debuchy and the system :-/

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:04 pm

Sagna has gone down the toilet anyhow... good thing he left. He looked slower than Debuchy last night Laughing With his defense going down, Sagna doesn't offer much.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:39 pm

Wonder why Wenger has not said anything about Welbeck. At least I have not seen anything.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:45 am

6unner wrote:Wonder why Wenger has not said anything about Welbeck. At least I have not seen anything.

I think he has no idea we have signed Welbeck.

@wengerknowsbest ·
I must tell you, it is not true I have made no comment on Welbeck. I believe I said something about him two years ago. rofl

@wengerknowsbest ·
Is it true I only wanted Welbeck on loan and Gazidis decided to sign him on little bit permanent deal? Sorry, I can't hear you. :whistle: Laughing
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:56 am

Spoiler:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:56 pm

Our best signing this summer.

Idgaf. Sanchez will add overall quality and pace, etc.

But Welbeck is the player we needed. He will pad those stats. 20+goals this year I think easy.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:54 am

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:29 am

Wenger speaks:

"It was quick because it was the last day of the transfer window but I had no hesitation to do it."

"Danny Welbeck is young and I feel he can improve his career here. He is quick and is a great finisher."

On travelling to Rome on deadline day: "If I stayed at my home, Welbeck would not be here...that is the truth."

Wenger says because he went to Rome, he was up at 6am and available all day. "I will tell you the story one day."

Wenger says he would have preferred to have taken Welbeck on loan with an option to buy but was "happy" with a permanent transfer.

"When you analyse Welbeck's game, he has the qualities to play down the middle but he is very versatile"

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:56 am

Just waiting on that Arsene Wenger autobiography. :coffee:
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:08 am

Lends credibility to what Gunnerblog said on Arsecast about Welbeck's agent (his brother?) being family and Arsenal brining in a 3rd party agent for that reason, who was on the flight to Rome with AW.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by RedMamba Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:30 am

Did wenger just get scheudenfrictoncrude by the board?
RedMamba
RedMamba
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:46 am

No.

Full quotes here:

Wenger wrote:Danny Welbeck is an ideal signing because he can play through the middle - which I think is his best position - but also through the flanks. He works for the team, he brings pace and can score goals. He is happy and confident.

[Asked if Welbeck was craving to play through the middle] I think so. He is very versatile but, if you analyse in an objective way, he has the perfect style to play through the middle. I can make him a better player. I can help. He is a young boy, not 24 yet. Some players who arrived at 23 made huge careers here.

[On the deal itself] I thought when they bought Falcao they had to let someone go. I was not aware at the start that he'd be available. It was quick, but I had no hesitation to do it.

...in the end, when it was a permanent transfer or a loan with an option to buy, I was happy to buy permanently.

At the start of the day, he was only available on loan. At the end of the day, I agreed.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:39 pm

So Ivan signed him and Wenger had no intention of signing anyone? rofl

Wenger is a joke, so if he stayed home Ivan would not have overruled him. Shocked

Ivan even though I dont like you, Thank you.

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:42 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:

Read the full quote before jumping to conclusions.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:46 pm

srigooner wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:

Read the full quote before jumping to conclusions.

I dont care what Wenger says, I know he is full of shit.

If Welbeck plays center forward Saturday then all is well, not sure if he would start but as long as he does play.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next