For Players - Curious about how you wear your shinguards.

+3
Forza
Kick
Wytefang
7 posters

Go down

For Players - Curious about how you wear your shinguards. Empty For Players - Curious about how you wear your shinguards.

Post by Wytefang Sun May 12, 2013 7:07 am

Just a question for active or former players of the game - how do you wear your socks and shinguards?

There seems to be two camps - those who wear 2-pair of socks and then tape their shinguards to the first pair of socks OR those who only wear one pair of sock but who use the shinguard compression sleeves to hold the shinguards to their legs.

I'm only asking because I'm in the market for new shoes and the local FLGS owner here in Tampa (who is awesome and super knowledgable about shoes and everything soccer-related) has been insistent that I should switch to one pair of socks only and using the shinguard sleeves instead of what I currently do, which is to use 2-pair of socks and tape my shinguards to the underlying pair of socks. I like doing it this way because I feel it protects me from blisters as well as keeps my shinguards firmly up. I (figuratively, of course) live in fear of sliding shinguards - they'd ruin my style of play up front as a dribbling, attacking forward/striker.

So while I can see some strong benefits to switching how I do my shin-guard situation (with one less pair of socks there's less heat build-up, lighter legs and feet, and not having to use tape saves me time and money, in the long run), I'm fearful of the unknown, too. Any suggestions (as detailed as you'd like to post would be fine/great by me), will be appreciated from my fellow players. Thanks, all!

Wytefang
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

For Players - Curious about how you wear your shinguards. Empty Re: For Players - Curious about how you wear your shinguards.

Post by Kick Sun May 12, 2013 8:01 am

I have always bought the biggest safest shin guards possible, that includes the ankle guards with them. Which meant I only wore one pair of socks and never had a problem with them sliding down.

For your situation, One socks would give you more of a feel of the ball while dribbling for sure, I would probably switch to that method.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

For Players - Curious about how you wear your shinguards. Empty Re: For Players - Curious about how you wear your shinguards.

Post by Wytefang Sun May 12, 2013 10:36 am

The thing is that I already was doing fine, dribbling-wise - what I mean to say is that dribbling "touch" wasn't really a problem, previously for me.

Wytefang
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun May 12, 2013 10:42 am

If it isn't broken, why bother fixing it?

If it works for you then I wouldn't bother changing style.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Wytefang Sun May 12, 2013 11:26 am

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out. Good point.

Wytefang
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Wytefang Thu May 16, 2013 4:07 am

Anyone else care to chime in? I'd appreciate it.

Wytefang
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu May 16, 2013 6:25 am

I agree with Kick. Don't change what works.

If you do switch to one sock and don't get shin guards with ankle guards, just use some shin guard tape to keep them in place.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by lszanto Thu May 16, 2013 6:28 am

I wear single socks and use tape to hold my shinpads in place. My shinpads are tiny though.
lszanto
lszanto
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 am

I swear buy one set of socks and using inserts with sleeves. You can typically get a season out of the sleeves before they stretch and need to get new ones.

For Players - Curious about how you wear your shinguards. Se0115-101_nike_pocketed_shinguard_sleeve_white_zm
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri May 17, 2013 1:31 am

I actually use the ankle guards as well...that's what I first had as a kid, continued to have them, and I just never switched. I said what Kick said "if it aint broke don't fix it".

Now, I typically disagree with that statement on several levels, but it always worked for me and I just decided never to switch because it's what I'm used to and comfortable with.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri May 17, 2013 12:27 pm

I hate wearing two pair of socks. If it was me, I would play with even thinner socks.

free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down