BarcaKizz
Kick
The Sanchez
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gombau lands Adelaide job Empty Gombau lands Adelaide job

Post by The Sanchez Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 9:40

Adelaide United confirmed the appointment of Spaniard Josep Gombau as its new head coach for the next two A-League seasons.

he Reds have been on the lookout for a new mentor since interim boss Michael Valkanis announced earlier this month that he would return to his previous role as assistant coach.

While the likes of ex-Melbourne Victory coach Ernie Merrick and ex-Adelaide United assistant Phil Stubbins were heavily linked with the job, Gombau got the nod and will take up the reins at Hindmarsh Stadium in mid-July.

"I want to come to Adelaide because Australia has one of the most successful leagues in Asia at this moment and I want to enjoy this experience in the A-League because I think football in Australia is growing and it would be a pleasure for me to come to this club," Gombau said.

"I see it as a very good chance to grow in my coaching and I hope me and the club and that together we can make something nice by becoming champions in the A-League."

A qualified UEFA Pro Licence coach, Gombau will bring with him to Adelaide his current assistant Pau Marti to work alongside Valkanis.

"What we looked for in a coach was the ability to implement a football philosophy which is first and foremost successful," Adelaide United General Manager of Football Operations Michael Petrillo said.

“The by-products of the philosophy also need to produce a style that is entertaining and relevant to the modern game – a style that the players will understand and embrace as theirs.

"Josep has a wealth of experience within what has arguably been the best club in world football for the last decade.

“What is more important is that he has been able to successfully implement his own version of the football philosophy, methodology and developmental pathways at work at FC Barcelona as a Senior Coach of Kitchee in Hong Kong."

Adelaide was quick to announce Gombau's signing after he spilled the beans on talks between the parties a day earlier.

Speaking to TVB in China on Monday, Gombau revealed negotiations with Reds was at an advanced stage.

"There are some details to go through, but I think we could finish the job in one or two days," the 36-year-old said.

The former technical director of FCB Escola, a youth football academy affiliated to FC Barcelona, Gombau took over the reins at Hong Kong side Kitchee in 2009 and won back-to-back league titles in 2011 and 2012.

"I thank all the fans supporting me and Kitchee FC. Kitchee FC have done well, and your help is important," Gombau said.

"Kitchee FC still faces some challenges.

"I will still focus on my job and lead the team. I won't leave until the mission is over. [Then] I will officially say goodbye to everyone."

Hong Kong's league season ends next weekend while Kitchee is in the final of the Hong Kong Fa Cup on Saturday 11 May.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1149732/Gombau-lands-Adelaide-job
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Gombau lands Adelaide job Empty Re: Gombau lands Adelaide job

Post by Kick Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 10:32

Looks like a smart move by Adelaide, I hope he does well.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 10:46

No idea what he's like, but if schooled in Barcelona then his ideas should suit Adelaide. I think they have the right personnel, given that they sign the right players and hold on to Vidosic.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 10:56

Vidosic will be key going forward. If we can build a team around him and Galekovic I will be happy.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 12:33

On one hand, he was at Barca, but on the other he's coming from Hong Kong... so let's hope this guy has the results to match the philosophy.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 12:35

to be honest, at least he has a philosophy. That is certainly a start for the club.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu 2 May 2013 - 15:49

New Adelaide United boss Josep Gombau says FC Barcelona star wants to join Reds

Source: AdelaideNow (The Advertiser's website - that's the main newspaper in SA)

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/gombau-says-barca-star-wants-to-join-reds/story-fndejmex-1226633413699

NEW Adelaide United boss Josep Gombau says an FC Barcelona star has called him and said he wants to join the Reds.

Gombau said the player had telephoned him not long after he was announced as Adelaide's coach for a two-year term on Tuesday.

But Gombau would not reveal the player's name. Nor was he specific as to whether his caller was still on Barca's books.

"Now there is one player from Barcelona that played for many years and he told me `Josep, I want to come with you to Adelaide'," Gombau said from Hong Kong yesterday.

"But, of course, we have a chance to bring Spanish players to Adelaide.

"A lot of people from Barcelona, I have a good relationship with Barcelona because I worked there for six years.

"But one player that's played many, many games, more than 200 games for Barcelona called me yesterday night.

"He told me `Josep, I want to go to Australia because it's a good opportunity for my family'.

"But now I need to speak to (Adelaide football director) Michael Petrillo about this."

Gombau was frank yesterday, admitting he still had a lot of work to do with his Hong Kong club Kitchee before he could dedicate all of his time to Adelaide United.

His Hong Kong club winds up its home-and-away season on the weekend before Gombau ends his tenure there with a Hong Kong FA Cup final appearance and an AFC Cup qualifier.

Gombau said his work with Kitchee should be complete by May 25.

But Gombau wasn't sure if he would arrive in Adelaide directly after bidding farewell to Kitchee and Hong Kong or would return to Spain before meeting his new players before the first pre-season session on June 10.

Gombau, however, revealed his current Kitchee assistant, Pau Marti, would also be Adelaide's fitness coach.

Gombau says Marti is his Spanish confidante. "But for me, my assistant or my second-in-charge will be Michael Valkanis," he said.

"It's very easy because in this moment Michael Valkanis knows more than me about Adelaide United.

"I need to listen 100 per cent to Michael Valkanis and to Michael Petrillo. I'm coming to a country where I don't know anyone.

"I know a little bit Michael Petrillo but day-by-day I need someone that I can speak to with feeling."

The 36-year-old said he was intent on bringing "Barca style" to the Reds and was keen to settle his young family in Adelaide.

Gombau's wife Romina is expecting a second child in July, a sister to two-year old Maria.

However when Gombau does land in Australia it would be his first Down Under visit.
Surely Messi. Laughing
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Fri 3 May 2013 - 3:09

Messi playing in the A-League Laughing

:bow: :bow: :bow:
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Fri 3 May 2013 - 10:29

It's obviously going to be a former player, I doubt any present players will want to move here.

I also think it's more likely to be a less known player. perhaps a long serving bit-part player?
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Fri 3 May 2013 - 12:06

anyone have a list of former Barca players with over 200 games for Barca? Kizz?
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sat 4 May 2013 - 3:46

Screw it, we're getting Messi. :bow:

Galekovic
Who Cares
Who Cares
Vidosic
Messi

:bow: :bow: We'll dominate!
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sat 4 May 2013 - 10:43

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FC_Barcelona_players

I don't see a single 200 game player who hasn't yet retired aside from Xavi, Valdes, Iniesta, Puyol and Messi, all who are still at Barcelona. Guardiola and Cocu are probably good enough to play in the A League in their 40s but I doubt that's happening. Laughing

Conclusion, Messi to Adelaide.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Sat 4 May 2013 - 11:03

No idea... Its not really any information he's giving there.

I'm thinking old players who are gonna be off contract or something... Keita? Even so thats really ambitious...
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sat 4 May 2013 - 11:09

Really I think we're underestimating the snowball effect here. As soon as one comes, everyone will. So effectively, any under performing, unsettled or recently departed player should be considered a realistic target in my eyes. Plus Messi, naturally.

Valdes
Milito---Pique---Abidal
Marquez
Pedro---Keita---Fabregas---Alexis
Messi
Bojan

Asian Champions League winners 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Proud
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sat 4 May 2013 - 11:10

Adelaide is gonna become the best team in the world Proud
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Sat 4 May 2013 - 11:24

I'm really curious though... My support could really be torn.

I thought of Marquez and Deco as well, but they are both settled in their home country now, and this player apparently thinks Australia is good for his kids.

Frrrrk who is it? Why did he tempt us like this?
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sat 4 May 2013 - 11:49

because he doesn't want Messi to feel the pressure of his new role at Adelaide. Thumbs up
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sat 4 May 2013 - 11:54

Maxi Lopez Gombau lands Adelaide job Lucas11
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sat 4 May 2013 - 12:08

I actually think it will be Rivaldo.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Sat 4 May 2013 - 12:15

That would be a mistake... He plays in Brazil Serie B... The pace of that would be like a snail compared to the A-League.

A-Leaguers aren't the most skillful, but they are super fit and play in summer heat.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sat 4 May 2013 - 12:19

I know, hence why I think it is him.

I doubt we'll get anyone good.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Sun 12 May 2013 - 18:07

Pleas be Ronaldinho, he only played 145 games for barca but, hopefully when he meant 200 he was exaggerating by 55.

Hopefully AU remove vidosic from their plans and wsw sign him up. :coffee:
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Mon 13 May 2013 - 4:45

El Shaarawy wrote:Maxi Lopez Gombau lands Adelaide job Lucas11
Maxi Lopez would be awesome!
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Mon 13 May 2013 - 4:48

We have the core of a good team:

Galekovic, Cassio, Ferreira, Carrusca, Vidosic, Jeronimo. A stable coaching situation and a great CB would really help us.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Wed 15 May 2013 - 3:20

This former Barcelona player has made contact with Gombau and is very interested in a move to Australia with his family.
Rafael Marquez? Played 240 games for Barca, just left the MLS (where he played with Timmy Cahill who may have had an influence) for a club in Mexico. A 34 year old defender with that experience would be handy. Hope it's him and hopefully he isn't after too much cash! But then AUFC weren't willing to even re-sign Flores for more than $300,000 a season!
Ronaldinho maybe? But he has the opportunity to play in the World Cup and going to Australia would spoil that opportunity plus I don't think we have the money to pay his wages/transfer fee...
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next