RealGunner
Sina
Raptorgunner
SamuelJayC
10 posters

Go down

Swansea City v Arsenal Preview Empty Swansea City v Arsenal Preview

Post by SamuelJayC Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Swansea City v Arsenal, Saturday 16th March, 3pm, Liberty Stadium, Premier League

Swansea City v Arsenal Preview 263541hp2
Arsenal came so close to an historic comeback against Bayern Munich on Wednesday

Top Four Fight

3. Spurs 54pts*
4. Chelsea 52pts
----------------
5. Arsenal 47pts
6. Liverpool 45pts*
7. Everton 45pts
9. Swansea 40pts*

*played a game more

Gunners travel to Wales for must-win encounter

With just ten games remaining in the 2012/13 campaign for Arsenal, Arsène Wenger can focus all of his attention on just one competition - the Premier League. The Champions League exit against Bayern Munich on Wednesday was both good and bad. The gunners went out of Europe's premier tournament at the last 16 stage for the third year running, despite a fine 2-0 victory the Allianz Arena.

"I believe we played with determination, authority and cohesion, we won a big game," Wenger told Arsenal.com the morning after the night before, "Let’s be inspired by that for the rest of the season."

Intriguingly, after Wenger's side beat AC Milan 3-0 at the Emirates last season, they won five of their next six league fixtures - a run which helped cement a third-place finish on the final day. It's the sort of form the gunners must reproduce if they are to participate in the Champions League for a 16th successive season.

First up for Arsenal is a trip to Wales, where they will face Swansea City on Saturday afternoon. The club sit 5 points off the top four.

League cup winners provide tough test

Just under two years ago, when Brendan Rodgers' Swansea City side were promoted to the big time, few knew about them. Their style, their philosophy, their ability. Now, it seems, everyone knows. The 2013 league cup winners - that, their first major trophy - are a test for any side, these days. What Roberto Martinez first implemented at the Liberty Stadium, Paulo Sousa continued - briefly - before Rodgers took it to another level with promotion. An impressive 11th-place finish last season, including wins against Arsenal (3-2), Liverpool (1-0) & Man City (1-0) showed the watching world that the Welsh side meant business.

But after a summer of change - Rodgers & Allen joined Liverpool, Sigurdsson & Caulker moved to Spurs (returned in the latter's case) whilst Man City purchased talented winger Scott Sinclair - questions were posed to the Swans. Michael Laudrup, out of work for two years, was a surprise appointment, and virtually unknown players - Michu, Chico Flores, Ki Sung-Yueng, Jonathan de Guzmán et al - followed the Dane. Further concerns arose when Neil Taylor, the club's first-choice left-back suffered a long-term ankle injury.

Though, the club just continued. In fact, they've got even better. They're a point better off now (40) than they were at this stage last season (39), they've bagged their first big trophy & they will be playing in Europe next season. What would really have made Swans fans happy, though, would have been their coach signing a new deal. A week ago, Laudrup signed a fresh two-year contract.

"I always knew I wanted to stay and it was important I did it now because other people needed to know I would stay." Laudrup hopes his commitment will be shared by his skipper Ashley Williams, who has been linked with Arsenal this week.

Last five meetings:

Arsenal 1-0 Swansea: Arshavin's strike just before half-time, after a Vorm blunder, secured gunners' first league win of the campaign.
XI: Szczesny; Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs; Frimpong Arteta; Walcott Ramsey Arshavin; Van Persie

Swansea 3-2 Arsenal: The Welsh side beat the gunners for the first time in 30 years thanks to Graham's winner 20 minutes from time. Walcott & Van Persie scored for Arsenal.
XI: Szczesny; Djourou Mertesacker Koscielny Miquel; Ramsey Song; Walcott Arshavin Benayoun; Van Persie

Arsenal 0-2 Swansea: Michu's double in the final two minutes gives Swans victory leaving Gunners 10th in the table.
XI: Szczesny; Jenkinson Mertesacker Vermaelen Gibbs; Arteta Wilshere; Walcott Cazorla Podolski; Gervinho

Swansea 2-2 Arsenal: Michu scored within a minute of coming off the bench, before Podolski & Gibbs' goals couldn't prevent a replay following Graham's late strike.
XI: Szczesny; Sagna Mertesacker Vermaelen Gibbs; Arteta Wilshere; Walcott Ramsey Cazorla; Giroud

Arsenal 1-0 Swansea: Wilshere's late stunner sends Arsenal through to FA cup 4th round.
XI: Szczesny; Sagna Mertesacker Vermaelen Gibbs; Diaby Coquelin; Walcott Wilshere Cazorla; Giroud

Match Facts

* In the three matches between these two teams this season, six of the seven goals have been scored in the last nine minutes.

* Swansea are looking for a fourth consecutive home win. They haven't lost at the Liberty Stadium since Norwich beat them 4-3 on 8 December.

* Their home record is exactly the same as this stage last season (W6, D6, L2). They have scored eight fewer goals but conceded nine fewer.

* Swansea have led at half-time on five occasions this season - and have converted all five into victories.

* Michu has scored three goals in three matches against Arsenal in all competitions this season.

* Arsenal have won just one of their last four away games in the league. But they have conceded just 13 away goals in the top flight this season, the equal-fewest alongside Manchester City.

* The Gunners are unbeaten in their last 13 Premier League matches that have followed a Champions League fixture

* Lukas Podolski has been substituted in 19 of his 21 league starts this season, more than any other Arsenal player.

Team News:

Arsenal

Sagna (knee), Wilshere (ankle) & Podolski (ankle) are out, while Gibbs (thigh) will be rested. Monreal is available again after European ineligibility.

Swansea

Taylor (ankle) played for the u21's on Thursday but is not yet completely ready, while Flores (ankle) & Agustein (thigh) remain out. Britton (hip) & Moore (calf) return after injury.

Swansea City v Arsenal Preview AbEqG8qagS

Arsenal bench: Szczesny, Vermaelen, Coquelin, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Arshavin, Gervinho

Pre-match quotes

Wenger

"Laudrup has done a great job. His team has played well, been remarkably consistent and plays good football. It was a difficult act to follow Brendan Rodgers who was successful there. There was a big question mark against Laudrup when he arrived, but they have continued their progress and brought in good players."

Laudrup

"What Arsene Wenger has achieved at Arsenal is great. If the fans at the club want trophies then of course eight years is a long time. But I still think next season we will see Arsene Wenger still on the bench. When someone has been there so long, the good times and the bad times, it's because people are pleased with his job. They are still five points behind fourth place in the Premier League and I think they will now be going for that, and they have to believe until the very end."

Cazorla

"The positive we take out of the Bayern game is that we gave a good account of ourselves against one of the favourites for the Champions League, winning at their stadium. The team can gain momentum from this. We have to use this game as an example for the future and try to play as well as we did against Bayern. The Swansea squad in general is strong but, above all, Michu. I know him from when we were very young and he is a player that can make a difference. He's scored a lot of goals."

Rangel

"Arsenal are a team with a lot of very good players. Cazorla has been a top player for them all season, and Walcott has so much pace and he is scoring plenty of goals. Wilshere is out but they have other players doing well like Arteta. They are not just about one player, they are all very comfortable on the ball and it will be a game with a lot chances I think. I am sure it will be a great game for the fans but hopefully being at home can make the difference for us."
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Swansea City v Arsenal Preview Empty Re: Swansea City v Arsenal Preview

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Great preivew Sam.

Will be a tough game, we need to bring our A game to win this. Michu has scored 3 goals against us :facepalm: and we must stop him from scoring again. Swansea are not the same team as few months back imo, I think we can beat them by a goal or 2.
_________________Fabianski_____________
_Jenkinson_Mertesacker_Koscielny_Monreal_
_______________Arteta_Diaby___________
_________________Rosicky_____________
___Oxlade________Giroud_____Cazorla___
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:28 pm

Fantastic work Sam

Tricky away game but if we play on level we are capable of we can collect 3 pts

Koscielny still needs run of games and on his day he can really keep michu quiet.hope he is on top if his game

in Midfield of course im worried about physical level of our players
of course we can dominate if both Cazorla and Rosicky start
think they will Also go with De Guzman as extra body in midfield to compete for possession

one thing i have been impressed by is the offensive abillity of their Full-Backs
who move in to such advanced positions and at times even get in to good goal scoring positions i hope we are wary of them or will be punished

i hope we press well as unit and force them to Go long! for that Rozza in Advanced Role would be ideal given he has Legs Left Razz

Also
-Swansea have conceded a higher proportion of goals from set pieces than any other team in the PL this season (50%).
-Swansea have conceded more goals from indirect free-kicks than any other side (6).

hope we can capitalize on that
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:50 pm

C'mon guys where are you all? We have a season to finish!!

Great stuff Sam!

Tomorrow's game will be very tricky. Our record there is terrible and we don't have Wilshere.

One must think that bayern win would have given us belief and confidence but this is Arsenal lol. We can win against barcelona but can't win against leyton orient (2 seasons back)

But hey, What do we have to lose. Top 4 looks complicated to achieve but at least we can try.

I don't think Rosicky will start. I hope he does but i won't be surprised if we see Diaby-Arteta-Cazorla midfield with Gervinho-Giroud-Walcott upfront.

We don't have a choice of a draw. A win must be achieved.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:13 am

RealGunner wrote:C'mon guys where are you all? We have a season to finish!!

Great stuff Sam!

Tomorrow's game will be very tricky. Our record there is terrible and we don't have Wilshere.

One must think that bayern win would have given us belief and confidence but this is Arsenal lol. We can win against barcelona but can't win against leyton orient (2 seasons back)

But hey, What do we have to lose. Top 4 looks complicated to achieve but at least we can try.

I don't think Rosicky will start. I hope he does but i won't be surprised if we see Diaby-Arteta-Cazorla midfield with Gervinho-Giroud-Walcott upfront.

We don't have a choice of a draw. A win must be achieved.

This! Laughing

MUST-WIN game.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:59 am

We played our final on Wednasday and won, the season's over :coffee:
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by furiouswindbottom Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:08 am

With Arsene showing some 'tough love' and dropping out of form players...this should be his starting XI.

-----Fabulouski

Jenks Mert Kos Monreal

----Coquelin Rosicky

Walcott Cazorla Oxlade

--------Giroud

Arguments for Giroud and Theo to be dropped. We don't really have much option.

Unless...hey what about Mr Forehead? (ducks to avoid missiles)

I like him. Bring on the Forehead if Theo, Ox or Giroud are having a stinker.

One day, the Forehead will prove the haters wrong.
furiouswindbottom
furiouswindbottom
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:28 am

furiouswindbottom wrote:

One day, the Forehead will prove the haters wrong.

Believe it or not I don't think he's had enough chances either Razz *ducks to avoid missiles*

The two seasons he was here have been cut in the middle by AFCON and injuries. He was on fire at the beginning of the year and I'd like to see him go a year straight doing that.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:35 am

Wayne Veysey ‏@wayneveysey
Sounds like two changes for Arsenal today. Left-back & centre midfield. Szczesny & Vermaelen axed again.

If he's right then I believe our team will be:

Fabianski
Jenkinson Mertesacker Koscielny Monreal
Arteta Diaby/Coquelin
Walcott Rosicky Cazorla
Giroud

0-1 to Arsenal : bounce
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by BeArsenal Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:43 am

I hope we win! So can remain in the run for CL next year.

We need to keep michu quiet.
BeArsenal
BeArsenal
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:32 pm

I have a concert Im playing in tonight, so I can't watch it, I won't be able to focus the entire time on stage without knowing how the games going No
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Lex wrote:We played our final on Wednasday and won, the season's over :coffee:

Swansea City v Arsenal Preview Tumblr_m85e8mw00m1rqfhi2o1_250
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:16 pm

I'd bring Gervinho and Oxlade around 60th minute.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down