Lex
Jay29
Sina
RealGunner
SamuelJayC
24 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Arsenal v Coventry LIVE/Discussion thread Empty Arsenal v Coventry LIVE/Discussion thread

Post by SamuelJayC Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Okay, no 'official' preview for this game, due to the lack of press conferences, team news, pre-match interviews and match streams etc - It'd be difficult to make a good preview without a lot of information.

Instead, this thread is for discussing the game.

Arsenal v Coventry City kicks off at 7.45pm on Wednesday evening. Highlights of all the League cup games will be on BBC1 at 11.15pm in UK.

As for the game I can tell you some things:

Coventry City boss Mark Robins says he has no idea which Arsenal team he expects to face. But he did say "I'm expecting six players from their starting line-up on Sunday to play."

I have to tell you, I went to watch Arsenal's Under-11s play in a tournament at Warwick University recently. And they have a striker who is a cross between Ian Wright and Thierry Henry. It was frightening. It was pass, pass, pass too. Very impressive. I wouldn't like to face him in a few years!"
- http://bit.ly/URLsQs

Stats:

* Coventry were relegated last season and are currently second bottom of League One.

* Coventry have only reached the fourth round twice since a semi-final appearance in 1990.

* Robins scored twice against Arsenal on his Norwich debut on the opening day of the inaugural Premier League season in 1992 as the Canaries came from 2-0 down to win 4-2 at Highbury.

* Arsenal, on the other hand, are unbeaten in 10 league and cup games and it is 29 years since they were last eliminated by a side from the third tier.

* Arsenal are unbeaten in their last eight home meetings with Coventry in all competitions since a 3-0 defeat in August 1993.

* Arsenal won the League Cup in 1987 and 1993 and have been runners-up on five occasions.

* The Gunners were last knocked out by a non-Premier League club in December 2008, when Championship club Burnley defeated them 2-0 at Turf Moor in the fifth round.

Coventry team news:

Coventry could include midfielder James Bailey, who joined on a three-month loan from Derby on Tuesday. Fellow loan signing Conor Henderson is ineligible against his parent club Arsenal, while David McGoldrick is cup-tied.

Thumbs up

Last edited by Samuelj29060 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:16 pm; edited 8 times in total
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Arsenal v Coventry LIVE/Discussion thread Empty Re: Arsenal v Coventry LIVE/Discussion thread

Post by RealGunner Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:37 pm

Hope we can at least get some Audio Commentary lol.

I'd go with this team

---------------------------------Martinez-------------------------------------

Yennaris----------Djourou-------------Miquel-------------Santos---

------------------------Coquelin----------Ramsey----------------------------

------------------------------------Arshavin------------------------------------

-Walcott------------------------Chamakh/Giroud---------------------Oxlade

And then Bring the Likes of Gnabry, Eisfeld in the 2nd half. Or we can reverse the situation and bring the 1st teamers in the 2nd half and start with the kids

Hoping for good win.

Last edited by RealGunner on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Arsenal v Coventry LIVE/Discussion thread Empty Re: Arsenal v Coventry LIVE/Discussion thread

Post by Sina Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:41 pm

No Nico?Jenks needs rest
wouldnt mind if Gnabry starts

atleast we can throw in some pre match stats Arsenal v Coventry LIVE/Discussion thread Trolldolski

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

Arsenal are unbeaten in their last eight home meetings with Coventry in all competitions since a 3-0 defeat in August 1993.

Arsenal

Arsenal won the League Cup in 1987 and 1993 and have been runners-up on five occasions.
They have qualified for at least the quarter-finals in each of the last nine seasons.
The Gunners were last knocked out by a non-Premier League club in December 2008, when Championship club Burnley defeated them 2-0 at Turf Moor in the fifth round.
Their last League Cup defeat by a third-tier side came in November 1983, when Walsall won a fourth-round tie 3-1 at Highbury.

Coventry

Coventry have not beaten Premier League opposition in the League Cup since knocking out Manchester United five years ago.
That is the only occasion they have qualified for the fourth round in 11 seasons.
The 2-0 victory at Old Trafford was the last time they played in the third round.
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Think we'll see this:

Martinez

Yennaris --- Djourou --- Koscielny --- Andre Santos

Coquelin --- Eastmond

Walcott --- Chamberlain --- Arshavin

Giroud

With the likes of Shea, Eisfeld, Gnabry and Chamakh on the bench. Possibly Miquel as well, but I'm not sure what's going on with him at the moment.

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:43 pm

oh yea forgot about him and Miquel
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Whoever plays, I'm pretty certain that the only ones from the starting line-up on Sunday who have a realistic chance of playing tomorrow are Koscielny and Ramsey, purely because both haven't played that much this season.

I fully expect Mertesacker, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Arteta, Diaby, Cazorla and Podolski all to be rested. None of them have had a break yet (bar Diaby's enforced one vs Southampton). Gervinho, too, will probably be left out.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:50 pm

We have a massive squad. No point risking them either anyways

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:13 pm

“Hector Bellerin, Kris Olsson, Serge Gnabry, Nico Yennaris and Craig Eastmond could be [involved],” Wenger told Arsenal Player. “All these players could have an opportunity to play. Ignasi Miquel will play. We will have a good mixture of experience and professional top-class players.

“We want to put out a talented side that has a good chance to win the game. We will give a chance to some players who have not played as many games recently. The players that did not play on Sunday [at Manchester City] will get a chance and it’s a good opportunity for them to show they can do well.”

hmm

Martinez

Yennaris --- Djourou --- Miquel --- Andre Santos

Coquelin --- Eastmond

Walcott --- Chamberlain --- Arshavin

Giroud

Subs: Shea, Squillaci, Bellerin, Olsson, Frimpong, Gnabry, Chamakh

Maybe?

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:13 pm

And minutes after the creation of this thread, Arsneal.com release a flurry of new articles with team news etc :facepalm: Razz

Wenger:

"Bellerin, Olsson, Gnabry, Yennaris & Eastmond could play. Miquel will play."

"The players who did not play at Man City will play. It's a chance for them to show what they can do."

"Frimpong will be on the bench against Coventry. It's a big moment for him."

"Arshavin? He’s a 200 per cent professional who works very hard in training every day. I'm happy to play him against Coventry."

"We have a big squad. Remember Rosicky, Wilshere & Sagna are not back yet too, our squad is very big."

"Our fans are fantastic. I’m personally so proud and feel so lucky to play for so many years in front of a sold-out stadium."

"Serge Gnabry is a great hope for the future. He could play for the first-team this season. He has great power and pace."

Thumbs up
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:20 pm

RealGunner wrote:Hope we can at least get some Audio Commentary lol
Got your back, RG, I'll post real time comments in the match day thread Thumbs up
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:26 am

Samuelj29060 wrote:
I have to tell you, I went to watch Arsenal's Under-11s play in a tournament at Warwick University recently. And they have a striker who is a cross between Ian Wright and Thierry Henry. It was frightening. It was pass, pass, pass too. Very impressive. I wouldn't like to face him in a few years!"
- http://bit.ly/URLsQs
i am really proud..:bow:
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:39 am

i think the lineup will be more of our second team rather than youngsters.. may be..
Martinez
Yennaris - Djurou - Miquel - Santos
Coquelin - Henderson
Chamberlain
Walcott - Chamakh - Arshavin

i cant believe... for the first time i am having so much difficulty picking teams.. many good players are not getting places... and this is without Rosicky, Wilshere and Sagna who are first teamers.. pale but thats depth ?
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:04 am

Lex wrote:
Got your back, RG, I'll post real time comments in the match day thread Thumbs up

So jealous. Mad

Have fun lex you lucky man. Clubber eco smile
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:20 am

Raptorgunner wrote:
Lex wrote:

So jealous. Mad

Have fun lex you lucky man. Clubber eco smile
when Lex watches.. We never lose.. Right ?:bow:
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:18 am

Lex wrote:

lol no man

Enjoy the game, cheer the team and keep ur phone in ur pocket.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:27 am

Giroud to score his first goal

ale le Giroud ( is that right?)
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:13 am

Per Arsenal.com:

Arsenal squad:

11 Andre Santos
12 Olivier Giroud
14 Theo Walcott
15 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
18 Sebastien Squillaci
20 Johan Djourou
22 Francis Coquelin
23 Andrey Arshavin
26 Emmanuel Frimpong
29 Marouane Chamakh
36 Damian Martinez
38 Martin Angha
40 Hector Bellerin
46 Thomas Eisfeld
47 Serge Gnabry
54 Ignasi Miquel
60 James Shea
64 Nico Yennaris
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:37 am

With no Easmond, that leaves Coquelin as our only central midfielder.

Could see a central midfield three of Coquelin, Chamberlain and Eisfeld.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:41 am

Seeing rich man's Goetze getting the nod over Westmond is encouraging.

Players who haven't got a future at this club shouldn't play imho.
It may seem harsh but that's the way I think. Twisted Evil
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:54 am

Arsenal Player are doing live audio commentary of the game, so we may be able to get an audio stream. Not ideal, but certainly better than nothing.

Also seems like they won't be replaying the full ninety minutes after the game like they did last season, but they will have highlights (The League Cup Show is on tonight as well, so there'll definitely be highlights).

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:10 pm

I can't wait for Gnabry to play

would be amazing
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Always like these cup games with a bit of a mixture with seniors and youngsters.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Eastmond is going on loan then.

Expect this team:

Martinez
Yennaris Djourou Miquel Santos
Coquelin Chamberlain
Walcott Arshavin Gnabry
Giroud

Very Happy
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:04 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:With no Easmond, that leaves Coquelin as our only central midfielder.

Could see a central midfield three of Coquelin, Chamberlain and Eisfeld.

They say Angha might start at RB with Yennaris in midfield
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Wenger held high praise for the player stating, “Serge Gnabry is a great hope for the future, I rate him highly.’

“If he continues his development, I think he could play in the first team this season. At the moment he needs to work and ensure he remains fit.’

“He is in the category of Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walcott – guys who have great power, great pace and good dribbling skills. He has goalscoring potential and good vision as well for the final ball. He can play centrally behind the striker or on the flanks.”
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next