Manchester City 1 - 1 Arsenal: Even game, very good result - Page 3 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Manchester City 1 - 1 Arsenal: Even game, very good result

+24
Highburied
silver
waitressinthesky
Benry
Chippy
EL Patron
AnJl
Lex
djoe26
RealGunner
Eman
SamuelJayC
Sushi Master
Sina
urbaNRoots
Raptorgunner
DuringTheWar
Rev
Amar
aleumdance
Wilson37
MJ
Emaharg
Jay29
28 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Manchester City 1 - 1 Arsenal: Even game, very good result - Page 3 Empty Re: Manchester City 1 - 1 Arsenal: Even game, very good result

Post by SamuelJayC Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:44 pm

So, watched the game again on 'Motd2' and can write up some feelings.

We did play really well throughout the game, and I can't remember Mannone - the Dzeko shot aside- having to make a great save. He was poor for the goal, although our zonal marking was too, however he did look comfortable for me - despite the odd poor kick. He has no doubt improved thanks to a loan spell at Hull.

Jenkinson and Mertesacker were excellent, our best players, and when Vermaelen and Sagna return, Wenger has decisions to make. Gibbs again made some vital tackles - like the block on Aguero's shot - whilst Koscielny did well overall - two shaky clearances aside.

Some people have said Diaby was below his best today, which is fair, but he was facing Javi Garcia and Yaya Toure and playing his 5th game in 6. He still found time to make some great interceptions and short passes. A rest against Coventry will do him good though.

Ramsey caught me eye. Really impressed on the right. Sadly, Gervinho and Podolski had off days, maybe the first of the season for both. Cazorla was a little bit quieter than recently but still influenced the game and almost scored but for a Hart wonder save.

Giroud had a good impact up top and I hope he starts against Coventry.

Also jotted up an alternative starting XI to today's on my twitter account earlier: Szczesny; Sagna Djourou Vermaelen Santos; Coquelin Wilshere; Walcott Rosicky Chamberlain; Giroud

I think our strength in depth this season is evident, and we can challenge for the title if we get injured players back and Giroud scoring, but another top-four battle remains more likely.

Overall a good start to the season.

Rat: Mannone 6.5; Jenkinson 7.5 Mertesacker 8 Koscielny 7 Gibbs 7; Arteta 7 Diaby 6.5; Ramsey 7.5 Cazorla 7 Podolski 6; Gervinho 5

SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Manchester City 1 - 1 Arsenal: Even game, very good result - Page 3 Empty Re: Manchester City 1 - 1 Arsenal: Even game, very good result

Post by waitressinthesky Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Personally, I didn't think Mannone did too bad. Last season we conceded a TON of goals off of setpieces, all without Mannone between the sticks. It's a team weakness, one that should be addressed by the whole team, including our keepers.

It was a big game against a big team, and for the most part, he remained composed and didn't make any other errors. Some good saves.

waitressinthesky
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:16 am

We had all the opportunity to win the game. We were bossing the midfield, getting in good positions and almost won it at the end, but Gervinho :facepalm: .

Finally starting to show some form and then goes back to what he's good it; dribbling into 3-4 players and losing the ball and missing sitters. This guy is simply not good enough. Misses sitters all day and instead of crossing the ball, thinks he's Messi and tries to dribble pass the whole team. Just no footballing brain

Thought Wenger should have brought on Walcott and Giroud earlier. Our attack was losing its ascendency and needed some fresh players.

Jenkinson and Ramsey really impressed me and were unsung heroes. Jenkinson got into some great attacking positions without leaving his defensive duties. Ramsey finally showed some guts with his passing instead of being a passenger. Podolski and Carzola I thought were a bit below par but would put it down to fatigue more than anything.

silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:12 am

To describe our performance yesterday, Arsenal were like a girl with super hot body but average face. Smile

I thought we started really well and we were consistent until the last quarter of the game.

Wenger did a very good job with both starting lineup and subs.

I always thought Ramsey is a deeper midfielder and that proved me right especially when Diaby was off.

In that short time, Ramsey did what Diaby supposed to do during his time on the pitch. Pushing the button ATTACK. Making forwards more active by spreading the ball forward and helping them execute a counter, etc.

But, Diaby did a good job defensively. Really disciplined and powerful.

We will need his physical appearance during this season.

I dont even need to comment on Arteta. Top class.

Id focus more on our attack + cazorla because thats where we need to improve in order to win games.

As good as Gervinho was with his movement and workrate, still not good enough imo.

Not only he missed some good chances, he also failed to pass the ball in final third.

Anyone else with a brain would pass that ball to unmarked Giroud instead of shooting wide.

These failures shouldnt be allowed.

Cazorla had a quite game but I dont blame him.

Countless times he asked for ball and not received it. How can someone (Gibbs, Diaby, Gervinho, Podolski) pass the ball to someone else instead of Cazorla?

We should play him as much as we can, hes our best player atm... its so pity his teammates dont use him that much.

Podolski didnt move forward that much, I think he just followed pre match instructions.

OVERALL

We are better team than last year.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Emaharg Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:24 am

The main thing I like about this team is we play as a team instead of the past few years. Everything went through RVP in the final third and before that we relied on Cesc to make everything happen. Everything is going through anyone all players are creating and making runs in the final third.

The biggest criticism I had about the game vs City is we gave away too many corners against a team so strong in the air.

Emaharg
Emaharg
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:46 am

Samuelj29060 wrote:Arsenal Man City Tunnel cam > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZaDlweoztw&feature=player_embedded

7:28 Gibbs stole the paper from one of our assistants/coaches. :bow:
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:51 am

Keep in mind that Diaby was playing a different role in this game. With Ramsey and Cazorla there, he was asked to play further back and stay disciplined defensively. He was only allowed to enter the final 1/3 on special situations.

I wouldn't compare this game to his others. I thought he was good as his role mainly involved containing Yaya and passing forward to Ramsey and Cazorla.

I don't think this is his best role btw. Takes a lot away from his game. But he can do the job.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:27 am

He had a different role but still didnt do enough to help on the attack as he 'usually' does.
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:42 am

But he wasn't allowed to attack. That's the whole point.... He needed to stay back and cover the counter attack opportunities by Yaya. You can't have 3 attacking mids. 2 is the max and we had Ramsey in there to make up for Diaby playing a more defensive role.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:48 am

Im watching the replay as we speaking.

He made some simple passes instead of moving the ball forward.

Its 1-0 to the opposition.

No urgency from Diaby.

I have no problem with his game though. In general, our midfield (including Diaby) outclassed City's midfield. Thats the point.

I still dont know why Giroud doesnt receive passes from his teammates, despite his good positioning.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:09 am

His role was more a relay one and he had to say back and not get caught to far from yaya. Took very little risks.

Gervinho, Gibbs and Jenkinson can't cross. That's the issue with Grioud. He's not getting chances where he can outmuscle his opponent in the air. He also had some open passes that Gervinho didn't see.

Gervinho was a pretty massive fail this game lol. He botched so many thing up. Forget Giroud. He missed great chances and failed to see Podolski many times. He's just waful imo.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:13 am

sportsczy wrote:
Gervinho, Gibbs and Jenkinson can't cross. That's the issue with Grioud. He's not getting chances where he can outmuscle his opponent in the air. He also had some open passes that Gervinho didn't see.

Gervinho was a pretty massive fail this game lol. He botched so many thing up. Forget Giroud. He missed great chances and failed to see Podolski many times. He's just waful imo.
Pretty sure Jenkinson is a great ever-improving crosser. Not too many crosses are reaching Giroud and not too many are being taken anyway as the team has yet to adapt to having an aerial threat as its focal point rather than a skilled ball handler.

Gervinho as a false nine obviously worked but I don't know what happened to him yesterday, his decision making was as bad as could be. He tried to do way too much and paid for it. I hope not all are quick to forget his pre-match form though.

MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:22 am

form against shat teams don't impress me much. I take those as a given. It's against the upper half of EPL and Europe's top teams that i really watch players. Montpellier is utter garbage so far in France too... They're 1 point from relegation 3 LOL.... And Ligue 1 talent level other than PSG is the worse ever imo. Just terrible to watch.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:44 am

sportsczy wrote:form against shat teams don't impress me much. I take those as a given. It's against the upper half of EPL and Europe's top teams that i really watch players. Montpellier is utter garbage so far in France too... They're 1 point from relegation 3 LOL.... And Ligue 1 talent level other than PSG is the worse ever imo. Just terrible to watch.

Pretty sure your 'shat' teams account for the other half of the EPL so you're effectively ignoring half of what a player does lol. Montpellier's league form is irrelevant, they gave us a hell of a fight and Gervinho played well against them.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:54 am

its a good thing for you lot that Drogbas gone, he wouldve had a field day against your zonal marking at corners
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:59 am

don't get me wrong... it's better to do well against shat teams than poorly. But i'm not going to rate a players in those games. In those, the talent gap is significant so you can overcome tactical ineptness and bad decisions. When teams are more closely matched in terms of talent, then you can really see what a player is about.

Ligue 1 is 6 games into it and Montpellier have 4 points. They lost 3-1 to newly promoted Reims prior to the Arsenal game. Bad form absolutely plays into it. They had no confidence, especially defensively, going into the match. So again, it's nice that Gervinho did well... but it wasn't a good European side on the other side, i am sad to say.

Btw, this is the same reason i don't rate Nasri at all anymore. He only shows good form against bad teams because he can out-talent them. He is terrible in his decisions and tactically; although he's much better than Gervinho.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:11 am

I agree with Sportzcy

Gervinho didnt have his confidence of Montpellier or Soton yesterday.

Why?

Big match factor.

Thats the reason why we didnt win a trophy lately.

Arsenal had many important players who disappeared in big games.

I hope its not the case with Podolski, Cazorla and Giroud.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:27 am

fatman123 wrote:its a good thing for you lot that Drogbas gone, he wouldve had a field day against your zonal marking at corners

Drogba only? a lot of teams will take advantage it, I dont like it and I hope Wenger puts a stop to it, or at least change it up.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:15 am

Nothing wrong with zonal marking. It suits a team like us, since we don't have the tall, physical players that a man marking system requires.

As a matter of fact, we've been using zonal a lot and have improved a lot when defending set-pieces. A lapse in concentration yesterday doesn't make the entire system rubbish or the wrong thing for us to use. It wasn't even the reason why we conceded that goal. Even if, say, Podolski was man-marking Lesoctt, chances are he would've been overpowered anyway.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:29 am

Arsenal fans before the game, during and after the game.

:bow: :bow: Our away fans.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:53 am

Gervinho and Ramsey running to each others positions rather than picking up different spaces to move into that should be fixed by time
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:30 am

that was funny lol
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Wenger reaction post-Man City ( http://bit.ly/PSoZPZ ) Wenger press conference post-Man City ( http://bit.ly/UrRpAo )
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by julias Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:47 pm

I'm loving this new Arsenal, lots of passion, desire, hard to beat plus Cazorla Smile
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:27 pm

Manchester City 1 - 1 Arsenal: Even game, very good result - Page 3 Mertesacker
Per Laughing
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:05 pm

This was only the fifth time since the start of last season that City's pass completion has been below 80%; two of those five were at home to Arsenal

Razz :bow:
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next