The Franchise
7amood11
jibers
82 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Xavi vs Pirlo - Page 3 Empty Re: Xavi vs Pirlo

Post by Travis_RM_91 Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:27 pm

The Franchise wrote:I find it very hard to believe, a player as static as Pirlo can do what Xavi does. And as good as Pirlo is at passing, he still isnt on Xavi's level by any measure. Through balls, consistency, passing under pressure...Pirlo is great, but Xavi is another step up.

Its sort of like how people insisted Cesc was just as good, maybe some still believe it IDK, but if it wasnt clear before, its clear now he really isnt on that level.

I find it very funny people say Pirlo is better defensively, he cant defend a traffic cone.

Pirlo has done well under different systems? Which?

Juve and old Milan really dont play that much of a different style at all.

Hard to take this seriously from a Barca fanboy, specially when most the ones I encountered place Pique up there with Nesta and the like lol. Pirlo's defending is excellent, and he was at Milan for many years and they didn't always play the same system. Juventus is a far more defensive team than any Milan side in my opinion, very different to the open set-up Milan had typically employed over the last 2 or 3 years.

Travis_RM_91
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Meh, basically all I read is.

Barca fan + picks Xavi = fanboy.

You havent countered any of my points.

Pirlo cant defend, stop it. Milan didnt play the same system all his years? Really? Expain it to me..

Under Carlo they played the same way and the only thing that changed was formation and even that, not often once he settled on the Xmas tree.

Milan open? LOOOL

Go watch that mind numbing CL final vs Juve and come back and tell me they played "open"
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis_RM_91 Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:09 pm

The Franchise wrote:Meh, basically all I read is.

Barca fan + picks Xavi = fanboy.

You havent countered any of my points.

Pirlo cant defend, stop it. Milan didnt play the same system all his years? Really? Expain it to me..

Under Carlo they played the same way and the only thing that changed was formation and even that, not often once he settled on the Xmas tree.

Milan open? LOOOL

Go watch that mind numbing CL final vs Juve and come back and tell me they played "open"

Of course he can defend, what's wrong with his defending?

Milan haven't always played the system. You can sort of track Milan's evolution (and eventual decline) from the 2003 CL Final, to the 2005 final, to the 2007 Final, to last season, Pirlo's last year.

1) Age - One glaringly obvious point to start with is that Milan have retained many of the same squad members in that period, an 8 year period or so. Meaning that the likes of Seedorf, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Gattuso, Nesta and others started the 2003 and 2005 CL finals, but still play when available nowadays. That was 6-8 years ago. Can you play the same system easily with 27 year-olds as 34-36 year olds? Of course you can't. Also, how do Giggs and Zanetti have such longetivity? By changing their game. Just how many Milan players have, and one thing that will have had to change id the tempo and directness of their play, that alone could be seen as a change of system.

2) Personnel in attack - Milan in the last 3 years made big changes to the frontline. Where they once started Shevcenko, Kaka and Inzaghi, they now have had Ibra, Robinho, Pato. Can you attack the same way with these 3 players? No. Pirlo played with both sets but frankly the tendencies, playing style and movements of each set are different, meaning a change of system will have happened. Not to mention set 1 are, overall better IMO.

3) Managers - Ancelotti had the players to be solid at the back AND play free-flowing attacking football that could cut teams to pieces. His system was free-flowing but lethal on the counter-attack. He usually used 4-3-3 or 4-4-2-diamond. Allegri has gone for a more conservative approach whilst giving his strikers + Kevin-Prince autonomy to create and threaten the opposition. Only the frontline is fluid, on the defensive side of the ball they are rigid and sit much deeper. Leonardo didn't have a system or a formation because he's useless.

I could name other points but time has ran out, and Pirlo was excellent through ALL of these changes.

I have to ask, what other systems has Xavi played in?
Travis_RM_91
Travis_RM_91
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Don't really see why Xavi better in Barca's system neccesarily = Xavi better.

Xavi is definitely more mobile.But Pirlo does his thing (at least he used to ) thorugh his horizontal defense and anticipation.

Pirlo to his credit has a much more versatile passing range....but he isn't as patient or as consistent as Xavi.

I actually think no one in the history of football that I've seen has been as consistent as Xavi.In the last 3.5 years he literally,hasn't had a bad game.Now that just might be an overstatement , but I don't particularly think it is.

For me personally...that doesn't mean all that much but I know for others it does so i'll lleave it.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Pirlo needs a system built around him,xavi doesnt.its very easy to steal the ball from Pirlo while taking the ball from xavi's feet is a living hell.

As much as i love Pirlo,if had to chose between one of them to enter my team,Xavi without a doubt

btw lol at pirlo defending well.both xavi and pirlo suck at it
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:48 pm

Xavi press very well tho. i'm talking about intelligent pressing, not like Di Maria's pressing.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Di Maria does press intelligently.

Sadly....Ronaldo dosen't.

Pressing can never work without balance.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:15 am

Mr Nick09 wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
Crimson wrote:I'd take Pirlo for my team but that's just me

I'm a Pirlo fanboy

I also firmly believe that Pirlo could do the job that Xavi is doing right now for Barcelona if he was in Xavi's position.

Pirlo has shown through different systems, managers and teams he can still play at an elite level.

This rendition of Xavi has only come about with Pep and the insane team that is Barcelona.

No Pirlo simply cant do the job for Barca like Xavi can.Not even half as well.
He doesnt have the technique,vision,passing,intelligence and most importantly the cerebral awareness to do what Xavi does for us.

i respect your opinion most of the time although you watch football only through barcelona goggles, but to say that Pirlo doesnt have the same level of intelligence, technique, passing and vision as xavi is just shameful.

That's not true at all, Xavi is a better technician but they on par for the rest. What Crimson said about Pirlo thriving under systems is also very true, it speaks of how versatile and intelligent he is at adapting and performing at a world class level.

Does Pirlo play with his head up for 90 minutes?A BIG NO.
Does Pirlo play with his head on a swivel for 90 minutes?A BIG NO
Booth of those are a resounding yes for Xavi.
Pirlo has great intelligence and passing.But Xavi is another level up from him.Pirlo just doesnt have the same cerebral awareness.
And how has Pirlo played iin diffferent systems.Let me see.
For the vast part he has always played with 2 hardworking midfielders who cover hiss total lack of mobility and poor defensive skills.He did the same for Milan,for Italy and for Juve.
So the claim that Pirlo has thrived in different systems is one big FAT LIE.
Xavi is far more versatile.HHe has played successfully in a 2 man midfield and a 3 man midfield and recently in a 3-4-3.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:26 am

Mr Nick09 wrote: to say that Pirlo doesnt have the same level of intelligence, technique, passing and vision as xavi is just shameful.
:coffee:

can't agree more with this. xavi fanboys trying to put pirlo down to make xavi look better = not cool
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Tifoso Romanista Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:13 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I really don't understand the claims that Pirlo is better defensively than Xavi. Xavi could play DM without too many difficulties, Pirlo would get eaten alive.

take out Sergio Bouquets and let Barcelona play with alcantara instead of him and Xavi instead of Sergio Bouquets, and you will get Ur word back in 2 minutes , Pirlo has been playing CDM for long .
Tifoso Romanista
Tifoso Romanista
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis_RM_91 Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:24 am

alexjanosik wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:

I'm a Pirlo fanboy

I also firmly believe that Pirlo could do the job that Xavi is doing right now for Barcelona if he was in Xavi's position.

Pirlo has shown through different systems, managers and teams he can still play at an elite level.

This rendition of Xavi has only come about with Pep and the insane team that is Barcelona.

He doesnt have the technique,vision,passing,intelligence and most importantly the cerebral awareness to do what Xavi does for us.

i respect your opinion most of the time although you watch football only through barcelona goggles, but to say that Pirlo doesnt have the same level of intelligence, technique, passing and vision as xavi is just shameful.

That's not true at all, Xavi is a better technician but they on par for the rest. What Crimson said about Pirlo thriving under systems is also very true, it speaks of how versatile and intelligent he is at adapting and performing at a world class level.

Pirlo has great intelligence and passing.But Xavi is another level up from him.Pirlo just doesnt have the same cerebral awareness.
For the vast part he has always played with 2 hardworking midfielders who cover hiss total lack of mobility and poor defensive skills.He did the same for Milan,for Italy and for Juve.
Xavi is far more versatile.HHe has played successfully in a 2 man midfield and a 3 man midfield and recently in a 3-4-3.

Does Pirlo play with his head up for 90 minutes? Where else would he put his head?

If Pirlo isn't good defensively (but he is ok) is Xavi a master in the art of defending? Not really. Barcelona have always retained a similar way of playing, Milan have always changed about. Does Xavi play with lazy midfielders? Of course he doesn't. Pirlo doesn't either. Who does? I think it's off the mark to say Pirlo lacks technique, mobility and versatility, and defensive skills. Although Pirlo plays in Serie A, I wonder how much Serie A watching is done by Barca fanboys who snobbishly look down on Serie A as a league of old , ''anti-football'' playing thugs (which again is off the mark).
Travis_RM_91
Travis_RM_91
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie Monster Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:44 am

The Franchise wrote:I find it very hard to believe, a player as static as Pirlo can do what Xavi does. And as good as Pirlo is at passing, he still isnt on Xavi's level by any measure. Through balls, consistency, passing under pressure...Pirlo is great, but Xavi is another step up.

Its sort of like how people insisted Cesc was just as good, maybe some still believe it IDK, but if it wasnt clear before, its clear now he really isnt on that level.

I find it very funny people say Pirlo is better defensively, he cant defend a traffic cone.

I don't get how you can be so sensible and informative in some posts but then post rubbish like this. Pirlo is static? He's a deep lying playmaker, not a cm. He starts plays from deep, controls possession, controls the tempo, and picks defenses apart. Although it's not his job, he also makes runs into attacking areas on occasion. As he did for his goal in Juve's last match. He can get himself out of any trouble with an elegance that Xavi rarely shows.

As far as your comment on passing ability goes, I literally had to stop reading and palm my face. We could argue all night about who the better passer is, but to say that Xavi is on a whole different level is biased insanity. I can't believe I read that. Pirlo is one of the best passers of the modern game.

Personally, I consider Pirlo the better player. However, they're both fantastic and, in all fairness, are on the same level technically. I just find Pirlo to be a classier individual than Mr. Humble and Respectful. His style of play is also more appealing imo.

And Travis thoroughly explained how ridiculous your opinion on Milan's different systems is.
Cookie Monster
Cookie Monster
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie Monster Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:53 am

alexjanosik wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:

I'm a Pirlo fanboy

Oh my goodness. Your first two comments, WRONG. Pirlo is constantly looking for his teammates. He can see passing lanes and open teammates better than I can while looking at the entire field from a TV. Your opinion on this matter indicates that you've rarely watched Pirlo play and are talking out of your ass.

Also, stop saying 'cerebral awareness'. 'Awareness' would suffice. We all know what the cerebrum is, using that word doesn't add an air of intelligence to your post. K? Cool.
Cookie Monster
Cookie Monster
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooony Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:13 am

Xavi vs Pirlo - Page 3 2012%2f3%2fTop5-CM
Spooony
Spooony
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:17 am

Spooony wrote:Xavi vs Pirlo - Page 3 2012%2f3%2fTop5-CM
ummm, why do they show different stats for each player?
e.g. they show Pirlo's long balls per game, but not Xavi's; they show Xavi's pass accuracy, but not Pirlo's
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooony Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:20 am

Forza Rossoneri wrote:
e.g. they show Pirlo's long balls per game, but not Xavi's; they show Xavi's pass accuracy, but not Pirlo's
Do not look at the stats underneath look at the player rating avg
Xavi vs Pirlo - Page 3 2012%2f2%2fBoateng-Nocerino(A)

Last edited by Spooony on Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Spooony
Spooony
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:21 am

Spooony wrote:
Forza Rossoneri wrote:
player ratings are subjective and mostly pointless though
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooony Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:26 am

Forza Rossoneri wrote:
Spooony wrote:
Forza Rossoneri wrote:
player ratings are subjective and mostly pointless though
I do not think you know they calculate it
http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/206/Tournaments/4/Spain-La-Liga
Spooony
Spooony
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:41 am

alexjanosik wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:

I'm a Pirlo fanboy

alexjanosik wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:

I'm a Pirlo fanboy

Not looking to enter this silly debate, but I'll have to dispel some myths here.

Pirlo did in fact play with many different systems.

In Trappiatoni's Italia. He primarily played with a modified 4-2-2-2 and 4-1-2-3 system which did not having anyone protecting him in his role. What was his role? Pirlo in fact was initially a Trequartista and in this role he was a maestro at it and survived all pressure that was thrown at him.

Then came Lippi in which Pirlo played formations such as 4-2-3-1 and more so, the 4-3-1-2.

He still continued to play the TQ until soon, he eventually moved into a DLP role taking cues from Ancelotti.

So with Milan, why did Ancelotti move him deep? Not because he could not take the pressure, but because Ancelotti needed a DLP for his system and thus, moved him back while slotting Kaka or Seedorf within that role, Lippi for Italia followed suit.

Donadoni for Italia also had a different system as this involved a 4-3-3 possession based system in which Pirlo excelled in, but ultimately failed due to Donadoni's striker selection other factors. Yet Pirlo still excelled resoundingly within this system.

After Ancelotti, came Allegri, who despite the common myth of him playing 3 DMs... with Pirlo, he played Gattuso and Seedorf alongside him with Ronaldinho in the front. So only one man to protect him. He played well many times yet it fell in vain due to his 8 month long injury and Galliani refusing to increase his wage which lead him to Juve.

Now in Prandelli's free flowing Italia, he continues to excel in a 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-1-2.

Currently in Juve where they alternate between the 4-2-4 and 4-3-3 or even 3-5-2 (with a wing based and counter attacking system); Pirlo has Vidal only protecting him but Vidal is far less inclined to protect him as most of the time Vidal will be seen running advanced and forward with Pirlo isolated. Marchisio? He isn't assigned to protect him at all.

Also, this myth that Pirlo needed 2 hard working midfielders is not true.

Pirlo only had Gattuso as his partner in the "creator & destroyer" partnership for Italia and Milan. But it was only him as if your thinking Ambrosini, the latter was only a back-up and when played, he did so in a completely different role than Gattuso as he played what is a Mezzala (sided midfield role).

Other examples are when Pirlo even excelled without Gattuso. The rare 4-2-3-1 with Kaka and Pirlo in the CM role with Kaka bombing forward while Pirlo left unprotected. He still was very good in this role.

For Italia, many of his best performances have actually come in from the TQ role as pundits and fans alike within the country still argue on how Pirlo should be shifted back to his original role as he is equally impressive in both.

So essentially, Pirlo only needed one man to make him most effective as it was a partnership, as otherwise he was still world class with or without a DM alongside him.

Lack of mobility? Thats Pirlo when he notoriously is unrested as otherwise you will regularly see him fight off opposition with his movement and intelligence. Even to this day. See Pirlo vs Genoa 2 weeks ago with to DMs on him (Biondini and Constant) or his games against Lazio or Napoli.

See his game against Germany in the Iduna park or his game against Espana last/this year.

I could go on.

See this assist (one of many example) during the 2009 Confed Cup in which he was even slower compared to now which shows mobility you would see from him on a regular basis.

Even when he isn't at his most mobile, he lets his passing do the talking. Someone like Modric who most of the time relies on his mobility to pick out a pass, Pirlo would just take on evasive touch and traverse a pass literally anywhere.

He isn't the best defender but his reading of the game and screening along with his superb tactical fowls has helped both country and club many times.

Head up for 90 minutes? Yes he does as the only time he has his head down is for his occasional shot and pass during the brief moment you have to look at the ball. Thats what he is known for.

In the end, I don't like to compare both as despite both of them being both my heros and me preferring Xavi in my team, both are actually succinctly different players which is why its silly and unfair to compare them.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:37 am

Some peolpe are SERIOUSLY discrediting Pirlo in this thread... its a real shame and is disgusting how much ppl are taking away from him.

The ones who are should watch him play, he is literally an artist at work.

alexjanosik wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:

I'm a Pirlo fanboy

Technique, Vision, Passing, Intelligence, and Cerebral Awareness? is that a JOKE!? Pirlo oozes all of those.... Have you watched him play? Im SHOCKED by this statement and everything else highlighted. I cant even begin to explain how wrong all of this is.

Absolutely disgusting.

Anyways, just to add to the thread:

The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:59 am

Travis_RM_91 wrote:

Of course he can defend, what's wrong with his defending?

Milan haven't always played the system. You can sort of track Milan's evolution (and eventual decline) from the 2003 CL Final, to the 2005 final, to the 2007 Final, to last season, Pirlo's last year.

1) Age - One glaringly obvious point to start with is that Milan have retained many of the same squad members in that period, an 8 year period or so. Meaning that the likes of Seedorf, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Gattuso, Nesta and others started the 2003 and 2005 CL finals, but still play when available nowadays. That was 6-8 years ago. Can you play the same system easily with 27 year-olds as 34-36 year olds? Of course you can't. Also, how do Giggs and Zanetti have such longetivity? By changing their game. Just how many Milan players have, and one thing that will have had to change id the tempo and directness of their play, that alone could be seen as a change of system.

2) Personnel in attack - Milan in the last 3 years made big changes to the frontline. Where they once started Shevcenko, Kaka and Inzaghi, they now have had Ibra, Robinho, Pato. Can you attack the same way with these 3 players? No. Pirlo played with both sets but frankly the tendencies, playing style and movements of each set are different, meaning a change of system will have happened. Not to mention set 1 are, overall better IMO.

3) Managers - Ancelotti had the players to be solid at the back AND play free-flowing attacking football that could cut teams to pieces. His system was free-flowing but lethal on the counter-attack. He usually used 4-3-3 or 4-4-2-diamond. Allegri has gone for a more conservative approach whilst giving his strikers + Kevin-Prince autonomy to create and threaten the opposition. Only the frontline is fluid, on the defensive side of the ball they are rigid and sit much deeper. Leonardo didn't have a system or a formation because he's useless.

I could name other points but time has ran out, and Pirlo was excellent through ALL of these changes.

I have to ask, what other systems has Xavi played in?

Free flowing football lol funny funny stuff

First of all, whats wrong with his defending? Simple..he cant defend. If he could, they wouldnt use 1 and sometimes 2 better defensive players in the midfield. He has limited mobility, no speed whatsoever, cant tacke. All he can do is intercept passes after the defensive midfielder in front of him put pressure on the opponant.

As for Milan.

You giving credit to Pirlo because he can play with in prime 27 year olds aswell as old 35 year olds...seriously...this is something to brag about? Perhaps Barca should go out and sign Rivaldo so Xavi can prove himself? lol Seriously

Big changes in attack? Another non factor..even if it was a factor, do you think Xavi hasnt played with different forwards before? lol

Those Milan teams changed their tactics and formation, no more or no less than Barca have under Van Gaal, Rexach, Antic, Rijkaard, Pep and so on. Lame point.

The entire "system" argument is horse crap.

I am glad ganso sees what I see.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:04 pm

I knew this argument was a non starter from the get go, I am sorry I even entered it after my 1st post.

At the end of the day, Milan fans are going to believe what they want to believe and Barca fans likewise.

This isnt something one side can be talked into changing their opinion, nor one in which an argument can be "won".

People are making it just blatant falsehoods and using ill logic, so even if this isnt a subject which one side can "win" its not an enjoyable discussion at all.

System this, system that.....such a lame argument.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:12 pm

the "system" rubish again....
anyway I'm gonna deviate from my Barca buddies here and say that I'm not really sure who I would pick. As some people already pointed out both play a very similar role but have different strengths and weaknesses. I barely prefer Xavi but I can only :bow: to Pirlo.
Both legends who have left their mark in the modern game
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:56 pm

I would like Iniesta thank you ((:
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:33 am

All you need to ask yourself is one simple question.
Would Xavi be benched by Fabregas(let alone useless grandpas), considered surplus to requirements and then sold for free to Madrid of all sides!!!!!! :facepalm:
If you can answer that then you will know the answer to the question and realize how stupid the comparison really is.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:32 pm

He wasnt sold for free, he was out of contract and wanted a new project....

:facepalm:
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next