Great Leader Sprucenuce
boss
Raptorgunner
SamuelJayC
16 posters

Go down

Sunderland v Arsenal Preview Empty Sunderland v Arsenal Preview

Post by SamuelJayC Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:06 pm

Sunderland v Arsenal, Saturday 11th February 3pm, Stadium of Light, Premier League

Sunderland v Arsenal Preview Robin-van-Persie-Arsenal--007
Robin Van Persie's free-kick won the earlier meeting in the season at the Emirates

Premier League Table

1. Man City 57pts
2. Man Utd 55pts
3. Spurs 50pts
4. Chelsea 43pts
-----------------
5. Newcastle 42pts
6. Arsenal 40pts
7. Liverpool 39pts
8. Sunderland 33pts

Rout prepares Arsenal for tough run

Arsenal's 7-1 hammering of Blackburn last weekend came at the perfect time, as the gunners prepare to embark on a tough run of fixtures starting with the visit to Sunderland on Saturday. Robin van Persie (3), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (2), Mikel Arteta and Thierry Henry scored the goals for Arsene Wenger's side against 10-man Blackburn. The visit to the Stadium of Light this weekend, is followed by the Champions League Round of 16 1st leg trip to AC Milan. Then, Wenger's men travel back to Sunderland for an FA cup 5th round tie, before the north London derby against Spurs a week later at the Emirates Stadium. Another crucial match follows, this time at Anfield against Liverpool, before the 2nd leg against AC Milan. It's a terribly difficult run, but one Arsenal should want to thrive in.

O'Neil works his magic on Wearside

Everyone knows the stat now; If the Premier League started when Martin O'Neil replaced Steve Bruce as Sunderland manager, the Black Cats would be top of the division. The northern Irishman has been in charge for 13 games now in all competitions, winning 9 and losing just two (both 1-0 away to Spurs and Chelsea). In the league alone, O'Neil has won 7 of their 10 games - a fantastic run.

Last meeting sparked Gunners run

When Arsenal met Sunderland in mid-October, the game sparked a run of 9 wins in 12 league games. The only blips in that time came in draws with Fulham and Wolves, as well as a defeat at Manchester City. Wenger's men beat Bruce's men 2-1 at the Emirates that day in October, with 2 goals from Van Persie - one after just 29 seconds - winning it for the gunners. ( http://bit.ly/xfLYDW )

Arsenal team v Sunderland, (2-1, Oct 16th): Szczesny; Jenkinson Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs; Arteta Song Rosicky; Walcott Van Persie Gervinho

Substitutes: Fabianski, Djourou, Santos, Frimpong, Benayoun, Arshavin, Park.

Match Facts

* When the two sides met at the Emirates Stadium, Robin van Persie scored Arsenal’s fastest-ever Premier League goal (29 seconds).

* Only two of the 14 goals Sunderland have scored against Arsenal in the Premier League era has been netted in the first half.

* Arsenal have won none of their last three visits to the Stadium of Light, losing once and drawing twice, conceding one goal in each game.

* The Gunners have won just two of their last 12 Premier League visits to play teams in the north east (W2 D8 L2).

* Arsenal have won just five of their last 22 away games in domestic competitions (W5 D7 L10).

* Sunderland have won 7 of their 10 Premier League games under Martin O'Neil.

* The Black Cats have kept three clean sheets in a row at the Stadium of Light. If they keep one in this game, it’ll equal their best run since December 2001 when they kept four in a row.

* Robin van Persie has scored 40 goals in his last 41 Premier League appearances.

Team News

Arsenal

Marouane Chamakh is available again after returning from the African cup of Nations, whilst Kieran Gibbs is back in contention after recovering from a hernia operation. Carl Jenkinson (back), Andre Santos (ankle), Jack Wilshere (ankle) and Abou Diaby (hamstring) are still out, whilst Gervinho remains in Africa.

Thierry Henry is set to play his last Premier League game for Arsenal, as he returns to New York Red Bulls on Thursday.

Sunderland v Arsenal Preview Gun__1328023102_gibbs_sagna
Gibbs and Sagna are set to be in a squad together for the first time in 4 months

Sunderland

Deadline day signings Wayne Bridge and Sotirios Kyrgiakos are set to be included in the squad. Lee Cattermole (hamstring), David Vaughan (ankle), Wes Brown (knee), Nicklas Bendtner (ineligible/facial injury), Titus Bramble (calf), Craig Gordon (knee) and Marcos Angeleri (knee) are all unavailable.

Sunderland v Arsenal Preview AbB5YupaoZ

Arsenal subs - Fabianski Gibbs Coquelin Ramsey Benayoun Arshavin Henry

Players to watch

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Sunderland v Arsenal Preview Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain-s-007

The boy who can do no wrong right now is Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. Still just 18-years old, the former Southampton forward is in electric form following his sensational display against Blackburn last weekend. Comfortable on either wing, the Englishman is quickly becoming a major asset for the gunners. With such irresistible form, calls for Oxlade-Chamberlain to travel to Euro 2012 with England are intensifying.

James McClean

Sunderland v Arsenal Preview Jamesmcclean

The 22-year old was purchased by Sunderland last summer from Derry City for just £350,000. Barely used under Steve Bruce, the winger has started the last 9 consecutive matches in all competitions under Martin O'Neil. Last weekend, the tricky winger notched his 2nd Premier League goal, with the winner at the Britannia Stadium against Stoke City. Like Oxlade-Chamberlain, there are an increasing amount of calls for McClean to go to Euro 2012. Despite being born in Northern Ireland, the Sunderland man wants to play for the Republic of Ireland, and is yet to receive an international cap by either nation.

Manager's views

Arsene Wenger

"I really do think this week is that important because we play three games in three competitions. I felt Sunderland were a bit unlucky at the start of the season with Steve Bruce. They're a good team.

“It is linked with confidence. As long as you have not scored the first goal you want to score it desperately and therefore you are a little bit less relaxed and it puts more pressure on the shot taker. You are less efficient. Overall the most important thing is to create goalscoring opportunities, and at Bolton we did that quite well. So if you can continue to do that, one day you will score seven, one day you will score none but most of the time you will score two or three.”

Martin O'Neil

"That is too simplistic (to say Arsenal are all about Van Persie). They have enough talent in their team. They are playing Champions League football next week, which is a credit to them. They have qualified once again into the latter stages of the competition, so I am not so sure that one man could just carry that on his own. They have talent, they have a bit of pace in their team as well, and their victory last week will give them encouragement and confidence for the rest of the season."

Prediction

Arsenal to win 2-1, just, taking advantage of Sunderland's 2-hour replay at Middlesbrough on Wednesday night.

Last edited by Samuelj29060 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:45 pm; edited 14 times in total
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Sunderland v Arsenal Preview Empty Re: Sunderland v Arsenal Preview

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Great Preview Sam. I am sure we will see the same line up as the Blackburn game. :bow:

Hope we tall all 3 points no room for mistakes. I watched them play last night and I think we can beat them. They are tired also played over time. We are fresh and have Defenders coming back.

I am going with a 3-1 victory.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by boss Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Great job Sam, hope arsenal gonna win this game ....... keep in mind guys Sunderland isn't Blackburn Razz as a B.fan :bom: LOL wish u all the best guys..Good Luck

boss
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Arsenal will win 6-0.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:02 pm

boss wrote:Great job Sam, hope arsenal gonna win this game ....... keep in mind guys Sunderland isn't Blackburn Razz as a B.fan :bom: LOL wish u all the best guys..Good Luck

Arsenal will turn Sunderland in to Blackburn. :hungry:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:08 pm

Not a fan of this fixture, we usually feck this one up.

Need to finish them off very fast, so we can have our key players well rested for Milan.
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:00 am

With the starting X1 we had in the last game I would look at either 5-1 or 5-2. I am afraid if we bench Rosicky it will be another long game though. I have a feeling that will happen also.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:33 am

boss wrote:Great job Sam, hope arsenal gonna win this game ....... keep in mind guys Sunderland isn't Blackburn Razz as a B.fan :bom: LOL wish u all the best guys..Good Luck

you changed clubs because of shaqiri, huh?
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:52 am

lenear1030 wrote:

LOL, I just noticed that, Boss what happened you leaving us?
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:25 am

Bendtner can't play, thus they have no power :coffee:
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:48 am

Great preview.. Going to be a tough fixture and the start of a tough streak of games.. But we are in a position that we must win all..
7-1 was a great result that will provide the confidence that we can create and score goals..
But this is not Blackburn.. I will be very happy with a 2-0 or 2-1 win...
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:51 am

Eman wrote:Bendtner can't play, thus they have no power :coffee:
does the best striker still play ?
Is he injured ? :flower:
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:10 am

Updated preview.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:14 am

Top clubs should never under estimate Martin O'neil who IMO is one of the best coaches in EPL.

See how he turned around Sunderland IMMEDIATELY.

Arsenal players should come back with confidence after Blackburn game and definitely not with arrogance.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Great preview.
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:59 pm

We will crush there if their goalie is not in god mode.

The guys are hyped up and we need to finish them up at half time so some of the guys can rest for the Milan game.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Great preview Sam!

I dare not to predict as i always curse arsenal.
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by usman111 Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:12 pm

Sczensy

Sagna Mertasacker Vermalen/Koscienly Gibbs

Walcott Arteta Song AOC

Rosiscky(Free Role)

RVP
usman111
usman111
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:29 pm

usman111 wrote:Sczensy

Sagna Mertasacker Vermalen/Koscienly Gibbs

Walcott Arteta Song AOC

Arshivan?(Free Role)

RVP

We have to play Arshivan this game or we should sell him, no point giving him 80k a week.

Arshivan can pass and can score, give him a free role I am sure he can do fine.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by boss Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:
lenear1030 wrote:

:facepalm: !are u kidding me ! what's wrong with u guys..LoL.....don't u think i'm a Napoli fan also ..trololool.. what happened with u guys Mad ....I guess that ARSENALBANIAN explains it at all..Clubber wellll
@Sam ..great preview man ,really ..thnx 4 updating your post ! wowww..Gibbs is back.. Very Happy
We will win 4 sure.... Cheerssss drinking

boss
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:01 pm

boss wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:
lenear1030 wrote:

:facepalm: !are u kidding me ! what's wrong with u guys..LoL.....don't u think i'm a Napoli fan also ..trololool.. what happened with u guys Mad ....I guess that ARSENALBANIAN explains it at all..Clubber wellll
@Sam ..great preview man ,really ..thnx 4 updating your post ! wowww..Gibbs is back.. Very Happy
We will win 4 sure.... Cheerssss drinking

Welcome back boss.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm

it will be extremely hard for Arsenal to win this one.....

they are the total oppositie of blackburn in the sense that their fullbacks are usually very good and get alot of support from their respective winger,sessegnog is on fire lately as well to top it all off

i would be quite suprised if you won by anything more than a goals difference tbh
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Will be a tough game, Very tough game. Difficult place to go, they defend really well as well. We have a poor record in the last 5 visits or so.

Saying all that, we need 3 points to stay in contention with the top 4. With everton vs chelsea n man utd vs liverpool going on, we need to take advantage.

I assume wenger will have an eye towards the milan game on tues/wed so interesting to see what team plays. I would think it will be the same one as against blackburn, unless gibbs and Ramsey starts.

Rvp will be the key as always, but expecting oxlade to shine as well along with theo. Our back 4 looks solid atm so thats a good sign

Need to stop Sessegnon from influencing the game, and stop all the long range efforts by Larson, Vaughn and Gardner Razz

Got a feeling larson will smash a freekick in.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Quinten Metsys Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:13 am

Sunderland manager Martin O’Neill believes Arsenal are no one-man show with Robin van Persie not the only threat the visitors pose on Saturday.

The Dutch forward has scored 22 goals in 24 Premier League games so far this season – six more than the nearest challenger Demba Ba of Newcastle United.

Although Van Persie has been in remarkable goalscoring form for the north London side, O’Neill believes the Champions League contenders will not rely solely on the talent of the Dutch striker at the Stadium of Light.

“That is too simplistic,” he told reporters on Friday. “They have enough talent in their team.

“They are playing Champions League football next week, which is a credit to them. They have qualified once again into the latter stages of the competition, so I am not so sure that one man could just carry that on his own.

“They have talent, they have a bit of pace in their team as well, and their victory last week will give them encouragement and confidence for the rest of the season.”

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has caught the attention of O’Neill in recent matches and he praised the former Southampton attacker for his pace and prowess.

“I saw him play a couple of weeks ago against Leeds United in the FA Cup and I was really impressed with him,” the former Aston Villa manager added.

“He's very, very strong, he is very quick, he seems to know what it's all about and for one so young; he looks as if he has got a real future ahead of him.”

Sunderland are the league’s form side, transforming since the arrival of the Irishman, being the only team to have won five of their last six Premier League matches.

O’Neill was cautious to avoid over-confidence on Wearside: “If you win some matches, you get that confidence that we talked about and self-belief, and those things are pretty important when you are going into football games.

“But there is a difference between having respect for your opponents – which we have to have because we are not really good enough to treat anybody without it – and having a part of the fear removed because you are actually doing okay yourselves.

“That's been the case in point, but we could come unstuck here against Arsenal very, very easily. Other teams have over recent times, so it could be a problem for us.

“But we are going into the game in a great frame of mind, anyway.”

The 59-year-old also defended Arsene Wenger and insisted that the club’s recent run without winning silverware does not detract from his irrefutably impressive record as a manager.

“There's a bit of bickering at this moment because they haven't won [a trophy] in the last few years, but he has been a fantastic manager.

“Sometimes in the heat of the moment, things like that might be forgotten, but he has been a great manager for a long, long time and he continues to be so.”
Quinten Metsys
Quinten Metsys
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum