What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

What is the best side of Premier League era?

+35
vivabarca38
The Franchise
che
StevieRayVaughan
Lord Awesome
Abramovich
aford92
Superstone Mariomintsch
kiranr
xabi
Ali
Raptorgunner
Gil
julias
beatrixasdfghjk.
VanDeezNuts
RuthlesGangstaDef:villin
Dnmac4
goonbrain
El Chelsea Fuerte
RED
Highburied
Le Samourai
Babun
The Madrid One
mzamani
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
RealGunner
Zealous
gunner1987
REWB
jibers
Iceman
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Sushi Master
39 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Best Side of Premier League Era>?

What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Vote_lcap19%What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Voting_bar 19% 
[ 13 ]
What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Vote_lcap3%What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Voting_bar 3% 
[ 2 ]
What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Vote_lcap42%What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Voting_bar 42% 
[ 29 ]
What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Vote_lcap3%What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Voting_bar 3% 
[ 2 ]
What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Vote_lcap14%What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Voting_bar 14% 
[ 10 ]
What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Vote_lcap7%What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Voting_bar 7% 
[ 5 ]
What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Vote_lcap12%What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Voting_bar 12% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 69

What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Empty Re: What is the best side of Premier League era?

Post by jibers Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:59 pm

andiii wrote:i chose arsenal invincibles over mou's chelsea because they were also very entertaining and they didn't really use anything like "fergie time" to help them win. i'm pretty sure mou's chelsea came away with a lot of 1-0 type scorelines... more than arsenal i'd assume, but it's close

So why do Arsenal have one more goal scored that season and double the draws... :coffee:

jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

What is the best side of Premier League era? - Page 5 Empty Re: What is the best side of Premier League era?

Post by Zealous Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:09 pm

The Franchise wrote:Watch the games.

Contrary to popular belief around here, the best teams dont always win.

I watched all those games under a year ago, in every game Man Utd were by far second best.

Choking? Hitting the bar and post numerous times isnt choking, its football, its bad luck.

The question is, best team...not most lucky, or even who won the most.

I'm sorry but that makes little sense to me. I saw the games as well.

Juve and Bayern had the games more or less won but that United team had such a potent attack that you couldn't ignore it's girth.

What ever way you paint it Juve and Bayern choked and they choked hard. You don't give up the leads they had unless they were facing a quality side.

The only criticism of the United side I can think of would be that they were too attacking and a bit naive in defence, especially at the start of games. Something that Ferguson would change after Madrid surprisingly beat them 2-3 at Old Trafford in 2000.

United 99 were quality, you can't deny that, I rate them above the other teams on that list because they have the trophies and the results to back it up. Chelsea 04-05 come second for me because of how dominant they were in the league although they could have been first if they had the "X Factor" that that United team clearly had.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:11 am

Zealous wrote:

I watched all those games under a year ago, in every game Man Utd were by far second best.

Choking? Hitting the bar and post numerous times isnt choking, its football, its bad luck.

Juve and Bayern had the games more or less won but that United team had such a potent attack that you couldn't ignore it's girth.

What ever way you paint it Juve and Bayern choked and they choked hard. You don't give up the leads they had unless they were facing a quality side.

The only criticism of the United side I can think of would be that they were too attacking and a bit naive in defence, especially at the start of games. Something that Ferguson would change after Madrid surprisingly beat them 2-3 at Old Trafford in 2000.

United 99 were quality, you can't deny that, I rate them above the other teams on that list because they have the trophies and the results to back it up. Chelsea 04-05 come second for me because of how dominant they were in the league although they could have been first if they had the "X Factor" that that United team clearly had.

I tried my best to look for statistics for the 3 games in question, but to no luck.

On reports from several people, the Bayern match is actually very close, with both sides having equal chances but United proving to be the luckier of the two.

However, Juventus apparently totally dominated united and forced several goal line clearances.
Regardless, the best team usually wins. Good teams make their own luck.

Juve should not have conceded so easily in the first place.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:50 am

I can't believe more people are not using the Champions League as a way to decide who's better.

I mean obviously all of them won the EPL in those years and they all competed in the Champions League.

IMO, the more well rounded a team is the better that makes them and the Champions League makes you play teams with different styles then a lot of the teams you face in your league. In fact some teams can be made to dominate there league and then not perform in the champions league because there only suited to play against teams from there country.

It's just such an obvious way to decide the difference yet no one seems to pay any attention to it.

Especially since most people who root for these teams think the EPL is the best league in the world, you would think the best team from that league in the EPL era was at least the best team in Europe, right?

Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:18 am

Slowly read the poll.

Got to Newcastle 2011.

Decision was easy from there. :dance:
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:47 am

Zealous wrote:

Really Zeal? That is the word you want to go with?
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:24 am

dnmac4 wrote:I can't believe more people are not using the Champions League as a way to decide who's better.

I mean obviously all of them won the EPL in those years and they all competed in the Champions League.

IMO, the more well rounded a team is the better that makes them and the Champions League makes you play teams with different styles then a lot of the teams you face in your league. In fact some teams can be made to dominate there league and then not perform in the champions league because there only suited to play against teams from there country.

It's just such an obvious way to decide the difference yet no one seems to pay any attention to it.

Especially since most people who root for these teams think the EPL is the best league in the world, you would think the best team from that league in the EPL era was at least the best team in Europe, right?

if we are judging by the champions league and not the players and flair then Nottingham Forest's squad > Barcelona's squad.

:dance:
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:11 pm

ali8775 wrote:
dnmac4 wrote:I can't believe more people are not using the Champions League as a way to decide who's better.

if we are judging by the champions league and not the players and flair then Nottingham Forest's squad > Barcelona's squad.

Got it, so "flair" is more important then results on the field. The thread was talking about teams in the Premier League era, so why someone would bring Forrest into the discussion is beyond me, also, please tell me why you think Forrest is better then any of the Barca teams in there Champions League wining years?

This has got to be up there for worst post of the year. It's wrong, it's off topic, it doesn't make any sense, no one said the Champions league was the sole decider but a way to seperate teams that are very close, and really it just shows that this poster cannot have an intelligent discussion on any thing even remotely involving his team or league.

Realize this, this posters team was not brought up in any way, and this post also affects almost all of the other teams in this pole but of course you have this guy spewing nonsense that has no relation to the topic or post it's self.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:32 pm

Zealous wrote:

Black and white and no grey?

What is this blame culture about? Choking? Its football, sometimes the ball goes in and sometimes it doesnt. You can do everything right and lose, while the next game you can make loads of mistakes and still win.

Nobody said 99 Utd didnt have quality, so why thats being mentioned I dont know. I just said the treble they won has made the quality of that team overrated, Utd have had better teams who didnt win as much.

Result and trophies are a strange way of doing things. Man Utd 99 won more then say 04 Chelsea, but that doesnt take into account quality of opponents faced in any way. You cant compare winning in 99 and winning in 04 like its the same level.

As I said, 99 Utd wasnt the best they had and while they won the CL, they got dominated against Bayern and Juve in a way I doubt other Utd teams or that Chelsea would have.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:33 pm

CBarca wrote:Slowly read the poll.

Got to Newcastle 2011.

Decision was easy from there. :dance:

banana
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:36 pm

dnmac4 wrote:
ali8775 wrote:

Got it, so "flair" is more important then results on the field. The thread was talking about teams in the Premier League era, so why someone would bring Forrest into the discussion is beyond me, also, please tell me why you think Forrest is better then any of the Barca teams in there Champions League wining years?

This has got to be up there for worst post of the year. It's wrong, it's off topic, it doesn't make any sense, no one said the Champions league was the sole decider but a way to seperate teams that are very close, and really it just shows that this poster cannot have an intelligent discussion on any thing even remotely involving his team or league.

Realize this, this posters team was not brought up in any way, and this post also affects almost all of the other teams in this pole but of course you have this guy spewing nonsense that has no relation to the topic or post it's self.

Forest won 2 CL in a row. I didn't bring Barca up because I don't like Barca, I brought Barca up because they are being hailed as one of the best squads of all time.

I highlighted to show you what I answered to,

kis emak
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:28 pm

ali8775 wrote:
dnmac4 wrote:
ali8775 wrote:

Forest won 2 CL in a row. I didn't bring Barca up because I don't like Barca, I brought Barca up because they are being hailed as one of the best squads of all time.

I highlighted to show you what I answered to,

kis emak

Forrest was not in the EPL era and what one team does the next year has no bearing on this thread. It is what is the best team in the EPL era for a single year as any sane person would know teams change from year to year and so does there league and competition. Your post really just shows your lack of ability to read and interpret a post or be able to have an sane conversation on anything involving your team, in fact if anyone even suggests that a team other then Arsenal were the best then you go to full attack mode like a dog with no brain.

You Can highlight what you want but it's obvious you didn't read the whole post and you are still the only person who finds any kind of problem with using the CL as a decider because you are so Butthurt about Arsenal not wining the CL. Thats the only reason you would act this way as no Chelsea fans have said anything and they didn't win it either.

The CL is the only common thing that all these teams participated in that can be a measure to separate because all the other tournaments they were in were domestic and some teams don't even try or send out youngsters in the FA and Carling Cups.

It's called logic, but that is usually lost with you as you constantly show the lack of ability to have a logical conversation about anything football related.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:40 am

Was just reading Gary Neville's book and came across something interesting

Nothing should detract from the Arsenal team
that won the championship that year, the best domestic
opponents I faced. The best of the bunch, better than
Chelsea under Mourinho and Arsenal’s Invincibles.
Arsène Wenger had been appointed the previous
season. We hadn’t known much about him then, but we’d
witnessed the coming together of a formidable opponent.
That Arsenal team had so many gifts. They were
experienced and strong, both mentally and physically. They
were tough. They didn’t have the touch of arrogance that
would come in the Henry years when their attitude was ‘you
can’t touch us, we’re French and we’re brilliant’.
From back to front, it was hard to detect a weakness.
Modern football is a squad game but you know a team is
really strong when you can rattle off their first XI without
pausing: Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, Adams, Keown,
Vieira, Petit, Parlour, Overmars, Anelka and Bergkamp. If
they were fit, they played.
I’ve rarely come across a physically stronger team –
perhaps only Juventus. Arsenal had a top goalkeeper, a
fantastic back four, a central midfield pair that could pass,
move and never be intimidated, and a hard-working rightmidfield
player in Parlour who could tuck in complemented
by an out-and-out flyer in Overmars on the other flank.
Of all my regular left-wing opponents, Overmars must
go down as the toughest I faced.
Ginola was another tricky one, not least because of
his physical stature. For a winger he was a big man. But he
was never going to run in behind you. He was a lazy winger.
He wanted the ball to his feet so he could turn and run. If he
did that, if he got his tail up in the first twenty minutes, he
could make life a nightmare. That happened one time at
White Hart Lane and I was sent off by half-time. But if you
nailed him with a few early tackles, if you snapped at him
like a terrier, he’d think, ‘I’m not having much joy here, I’ll go
drift inside or see what it’s like on the other wing.’
Overmars, and Arsenal, would keep at you. The
Dutchman’s scorching pace gave any defender a problem.
Petit, with that wand of a left foot, would constantly flick the
ball over my head for Overmars to run on to. Get tight and
he’d beat you in a sprint. Drop off and he had room to build
up a head of steam.
And then there was Bergkamp, one of the great
number 10s, who would play in the hole and feed the ball
through to Anelka, a finisher who had an eye for goal and
searing pace.
In terms of fitting the pieces together for 4–4–2, you
could not have hand-picked a team with better balance.
Mourinho’s Chelsea were an unstoppable force for a
couple of seasons. And I know the Arsenal Invincibles of
2003/04 can claim their own unique place in the record
books, and they were mesmerising to watch. In Henry they
had a forward so elusive that he was almost unplayable at
his peak. But, if it’s not perverse to say this of a team that
went a whole season unbeaten, you always felt you had a
chance against that later Arsenal side because you could
get about them, bully them. I couldn’t say that about
Wenger’s first champions, and I don’t think it’s a
coincidence that we drew twice against the Invincibles but
lost twice to Arsenal in 1997/98. They were the best
domestic team we came up against in my time at United.
We were top of the league when they came to Old
Trafford in March but it was a sign of our injury problems
that I was at centre-half with young John Curtis at rightback.
Anelka flicked the ball over the top and Overmars
used his speed to spring through and slide the ball through
Schmeichel’s legs. When big Peter pulled his hamstring
going up for a corner it seemed to sum up our problems.
Arsenal had won at Old Trafford for the first time in eight
seasons.
By the end of the season we weren’t far off Arsenal –
only a point as it turned out, which wasn’t bad considering
our injuries – but we couldn’t complain when we finished
empty-handed. Arsenal were truly impressive.

Interesting how few mentioned that Arsenal 97/08 team

Seaman
Dixon Winterburn Adams Keown
Parlour Petit Vieira Overmars
Anelka Bergkamp
Bear
Bear
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5