Art Morte
Red Alert
Brigate Rossonere
mr-r34
poolsupporter
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Every Thing You'd want to know about our new boy- Jordan Henderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Every Thing You'd want to know about our new boy- Jordan Henderson

Post by BeautifulGame Wed 08 Jun 2011, 20:41

Saw this on RAWK . Not sure how how many visit RAWK . So thought of posting here .

Saw this on football365.com mailbag and thought it was very insightful
on the type of player Henderson is and what he'll bring to LFC. This
reassures me that Kenny and Comolli indeed have a clear plan on what
they want this team to play like - pass and move - and that we are not
just out for big English players to replace Gerrard, etc.

-----
Nice Mail On Henderson's Strengths
As
a Sunderland supporter, I have watched Jordan Henderson play week-in
week-out for the past couple of seasons. Although not baffled by all of
this criticism of the transfer fee, I feel that I must make a couple of
points about a player who I feel can be a real asset to Liverpool. I get
the feeling that many people don't really know what he does, which is
hardly surprising given the pathetic amount of air time afforded to us
by Match of The Day every week. After the world cup, many of us began to
really notice the sheer lack of technical talent in the England set-up.
By this, I'm not talking about crossing or shooting ability, I'm
talking about close control, quick passing and most importantly of all,
tactical awareness. Jordan has these traits in abundance and, far from
comparing him to the likes of the great Xavi and Iniesta, his approach
to the game is very much as a team member rather than as a maverick. He
won't drive through the middle of the park and smash a last-minute cup
final half volley into the corner when he's got cramp, but what he will
do is keep the game ticking over and, when the chance presents itself,
show that he knows how to whip in a dangerous cross or play a nicely
weighted through ball.

Of course, this style of play won't make
him a fan favourite, and his popularity in Sunderland was partly due to
his local roots. Sometimes, there were groans from the fans when he
passed the ball backwards or sideways, but those of us watching more
closely could see that he was simply playing patient, intelligent
football. His touch in tight situations is excellent and he always seems
to find a one-two or a small gap to get the ball through to a
team-mate. It struck me during the England game this week that some of
our players aren't remotely willing to receive the ball when closely
marked, but Jordan will. It's exactly what the England team is lacking,
and the reason we've heard so much since last summer about
non-competitive football for kids in order to teach them how to play the
game 3 or 4 steps ahead, like the boys at Barcelona do. For me, the
problem with this style of play is that you are only as good as the
players around you. We all know that Barca excel due to the fact that
each and every player is comfortable on the ball. Unfortunately for
Henderson, there have been times this season when some of his team mates
haven't been on the same page as him, but I would imagine that he'll
settle in nicely in a very talented Liverpool midfield.

So, he
moves on to his new club with my blessing, and I'm sure that of most
Sunderland supporters. My message to Liverpool fans is just give him
time, but I'm sure they will, given his age. He's not the traditional
'Roy of The Rovers' English midfielder, but a player with class and real
potential. If Jack Wilshere is the midfielder England always wanted,
then Jordan Henderson may well be the midfielder England needs.
Chris SAFC

BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Every Thing You'd want to know about our new boy- Jordan Henderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Every Thing You'd want to know about our new boy- Jordan Henderson

Post by Sir Psycho Wed 08 Jun 2011, 21:21

2 Questions:

can't Henderson play out wide on the right?
&
does this mean Shelvey goes on loan?
Sir Psycho
Sir Psycho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jun 2011, 21:51

Yes to both your questions. Henderson can play on the right (and does half the time) and I believe Shelvey is very likely to go out on loan this season.

though Henderson will play central for England in u-21 tourney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jun 2011, 21:10

Official now. first interview:

Jordan Henderson granted his one and only interview after completing his switch to Anfield to Liverpoolfc.tv. Watch it all or read the transcript below.

We were with the 20-year-old as he penned a long-term deal at Melwood and afterwards he spoke about his ambitions at Liverpool and his talks with Kenny Dalglish.

Can you put into words how you are feeling right now?

Not really! I'm over the moon, overjoyed to be here and I'm really looking forward to it.

What was your initial reaction when you heard of Liverpool's interest?

I was flattered to know Liverpool were interested in me and, once I knew, it was a massive decision for me to make but also a massive opportunity.

How difficult was it for you to leave your local club?

Obviously it's hard to leave your local club. I'm a Sunderland lad, I've supported them all my life. But I'm really looking forward to the future now and obviously this is a massive opportunity for me. I'm really excited by it.

Did you seek advice from anyone about the decision?

Yes, obviously my family are all Sunderland fans as well, and it's pretty tough because I've had some great years there. I've been there since I was seven and I'll definitely miss it but, like I say, I'm looking forward to playing for Liverpool now.

There is a lot of competition for places here - is that something you're ready for?

Definitely. Coming to a massive club like Liverpool, there is always going to be competition. Hopefully I can keep working hard, keep improving, and get my chance on the pitch.

One player you'll be playing alongside is Steven Gerrard - how exciting is that for you and how big a role model has he been over the years?

He is one of the best players in the world, you want to be playing with him and training with him to try and improve yourself as a player. I've trained with him once (for England) and he was unbelievable, to be honest. I'm looking forward to it, and there are other good players here who can help me as well. Steven has been a massive, massive player for Liverpool for years now and he still is. Hopefully I can learn a lot from him.

And how does the thought of playing at Anfield every week sound?

I cannot wait to play at Anfield in front of the Liverpool fans and everything. I'm just excited and I want to get going.

What about Kenny Dalglish - are you looking forward to working with him over the next few years?

Yes, of course. He's done brilliantly since he came back to the club. He's done such a good job in such a short space of time. Hopefully he'll carry on doing that. I've already spoken to him and he's been brilliant with me so far. I'm really looking forward to it.

What kind of things were said between you?

I basically just thanked him for bringing me here. He seemed just as pleased as I was and that's obviously a good thing! It was all positive.

It's the start of an exciting new era at the club. What do you believe you can achieve here?

There is a lot to achieve. It's a massive club and we've seen over the last few months how good they are. So I'm just coming here to learn and try to improve my game and I'm sure that along the way there will be a lot of happy memories.

It must be in your mind that you could win trophies here?

Yes, of course. You come to a big club and you want to win things. Liverpool have won a lot in the past and hopefully there is a lot more to come in the future.

Lots of other clubs were reportedly interested in you - do you believe Liverpool is the best place for your development and for you to realise your football dreams?

Yes, definitely. Liverpool's definitely the place to help me come on as a player, and improve me. The club's going in the right direction and it can go as high as it wants.

You're the first major summer signing at Anfield - what's your message to the fans?

I'd like to tell them that I'm over the moon to be here and they will see me giving everything I've got in every game I play. Hopefully they'll enjoy watching me as much as I'll enjoy playing for this club.

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Thu 09 Jun 2011, 21:28

one thing is sure, he does seems to be really happy to be here.
great that.
nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Thu 09 Jun 2011, 21:34

for those who know him better: can he play as a lone DM in a midfield?

i've read that hes a very versatile midfielder with a good range of passing and who dont mind helping the attacking players, but apparently tackle & strenght arn't his best attributes.

so with Adam also linked, im a little worried by the lack of strong & more defensive minded midfielders in our squad.
nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jun 2011, 21:39

Henderson isn't a English type of midfielder.......he is very intelligent, more a Spanish type of midfielder. short passing, moving to space, etc

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Thu 09 Jun 2011, 21:42

Do we know what squad number he is yet?
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Thu 09 Jun 2011, 22:54

nj wrote:for those who know him better: can he play as a lone DM in a midfield?

i've read that hes a very versatile midfielder with a good range of passing and who dont mind helping the attacking players, but apparently tackle & strenght arn't his best attributes.

so with Adam also linked, im a little worried by the lack of strong & more defensive minded midfielders in our squad.

As Sepi said, he isn't a defensive MF. It's be interesting to see what formation Kenny goes with. His stats suggest that he doesn't tackle much and when he does, it's on average at a 50% success rate.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jun 2011, 23:13

I would describe Henderson as an attacking version of Lucas. He has better technique an touch than Lucas, but not as good at all in tackling and water carrying. Pretty mum like Raul

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri 10 Jun 2011, 04:36

^ Pretty mum? xd

Also, Lucas came to LFC as a CM. I do believe he'll have the attacking free role behind Suarez.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri 10 Jun 2011, 07:39

I dunno if this has been posted already somewhere, but the BBC is reporting that they believe the deal to be worth full £ 20m. Gotta say that's huge... I hope we dip into the French / German market as well.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Jun 2011, 07:42

Art Morte wrote:I dunno if this has been posted already somewhere, but the BBC is reporting that they believe the deal to be worth full £ 20m. Gotta say that's huge... I hope we dip into the French / German market as well.

It's 16M + 3M (bonuses based on what we win, goals scored, England caps)

Believe TOMMO. This guy called it right from 1 week ago. Even when everyone was saying Ngog is part of the deal, he said it's bollocks and Ngog to Sunderland is a totally separate deal than Henderson. Used to get the team sheet one day before each game during Rafa and Roy era as well (Kenny doesn't make it obvious and reveals it 2 hours before the game).

I am following him for our next targets Smile, this lad knows what he's talking about

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue 14 Jun 2011, 21:12

Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:45

Martin Kelly is the latest Liverpool player to welcome the acquisition of Jordan Henderson – claiming the 20-year-old has all the attributes to become a player of the highest calibre.

Now they will be reacquainted when the Liverpool squad returns to Melwood at the start of July - and Kelly is delighted.

"Jordan's a great lad and really down to earth," he told LFC Weekly. "We get on really well and I'm made up that he's made a mark on Sunderland's first-team over the last few seasons. He has everything you need to become a footballer at the highest level.

"The thing I like about him most is that he keeps it nice and simple. You can give him the ball under pressure and he will always keep it, even in the tightest situations.

"He's very patient in possession and if you're under pressure you can give it to him and he'll take the sting out of a game and keep things ticking over.

"He is also the type of player who will weigh in with a number of assists every season and score a few too.

"Jordan is definitely the kind of player who will never let his head drop. He's got a lot of confidence in his own ability."

A special section on the arrival of Jordan Henderson, plus an exclusive interview with Fabio Aurelio, is in this week's LFC Weekly.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/kelly-delighted-as-pal-signs
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2