the xcx
Shamirr
poolsupporter
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Illegal Downloading in America Empty Illegal Downloading in America

Post by poolsupporter Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:31 am

I read about this nearly a month ago when it was first posted on Engadget. The following is the article with source below that:
Music, Movie, TV and Broadband Leaders Team to Curb Online Content Theft
Announce Common Framework for "Copyright Alerts," NEW TOOLS TO EDUCATE CONSUMERS, PARENTS AND REDUCE ONLINE CONTENT THEFT

(WASHINGTON) – Leaders from the movie, television, music and Internet service provider communities today announced a landmark agreement on a common framework for "Copyright Alerts" – a state-of-the-art system similar to credit card fraud alerts – that will educate and notify Internet subscribers when their Internet service accounts possibly are being misused for online content theft. This voluntary landmark collaboration will educate subscribers about content theft on their Internet accounts benefits consumers and copyright holders alike.

Every year, content theft costs the U.S. economy more than 373,000 jobs, $16 billion in lost earnings, and $3 billion in lost federal, state and local government tax revenue.

Today, many Internet Service Providers (ISPs) forward to subscribers notifications that they receive from content owners about alleged content theft – generally by email. Until now, however, there has been no common framework of "best practices" to effectively alert subscribers, protect copyrighted content and promote access to legal online content.

The Copyright Alert System is based on a consumer's "right to know" when his or her Internet account may have been used improperly to download copyrighted content. Often, subscribers – particularly parents or caregivers – are not aware that their Internet accounts are being used for online content theft. Other subscribers may be unaware that downloading copyrighted content from illicit sources is illegal and violates their ISP's Terms of Service or other published policies. Data suggest that, once informed about the alleged content theft and its possible consequences, most Internet subscribers will quickly take steps to ensure that the theft doesn't happen again.

The new Copyright Alert System addresses these problems with a series of early alerts -- up to six -- in electronic form, notifying the subscriber that his or her account may have been misused for online content theft of film, TV shows or music. It will also put in place a system of "mitigation measures" intended to stop online content theft on those accounts that appear persistently to fail to respond to repeated Copyright Alerts. The system will also provide subscribers the opportunity for an independent review to determine whether a consumer's online activity in question is lawful or if their account was identified in error. There are no new laws or regulations established as a part of this voluntary agreement. Termination of a subscriber's account is not part of this agreement. ISPs will not provide their subscribers' names to rights' holders under this agreement.

The agreement also establishes a Center for Copyright Information to support implementation of the system and educate consumers about the importance of copyright.

The parties are very grateful to Governor Andrew Cuomo for his deep involvement and personal efforts, as Attorney General of the State of New York, to bring the parties together and successfully launch the negotiations that have now led to the creation of the Copyright Alert System.

"This groundbreaking agreement ushers in a new day and a fresh approach to addressing the digital theft of copyrighted works," said Cary Sherman, President of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). "We hope that it signals a new era in which all of us in the technology and entertainment value chain work collaboratively to make the Internet a more safe and legal experience for users. It is a significant step forward not only for the creative community, which invests in and brings great entertainment to the public, but for consumers and the legitimate online marketplace as well."

"Consumers have a right to know if their broadband account is being used for illegal online content theft, or if their own online activity infringes on copyright rules – inadvertently or otherwise – so that they can correct that activity," said James Assey, Executive Vice President of the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA), which worked in an advisory capacity with ISPs to help complete the agreement. "We are confident that, once informed that content theft is taking place on their accounts, the great majority of broadband subscribers will take steps to stop it. That's why the educational nature of this initiative is so critical."

"Many people don't realize that content theft puts jobs – and future productions of films, TV shows, music, and other content – at risk," said Michael O'Leary, Executive Vice President for Government Relations at the Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA). "Today, there are more ways to enjoy content legitimately online than ever before. This agreement will help direct consumers to legal platforms rather than illicit sites, which often funnel profits to criminals rather than the artists and technicians whose hard work makes movies, television, and music possible."

"This is a sensible approach to the problem of online-content theft and, importantly, one that respects the privacy and rights of our subscribers," said Randal S. Milch, Executive Vice President and General Counsel of Verizon. "This broad industry effort builds on existing agreements with several copyright owners to forward their notices of alleged infringement to ISP subscribers. We hope that effort – designed to notify and educate customers, not to penalize them – will set a reasonable standard for both copyright owners and ISPs to follow, while informing customers about copyright laws and encouraging them to get content from the many legal sources that exist."

Jean Prewitt, President & CEO of the Independent Film & Television Alliance (IFTA), noted, "frequently, independent producers and distributors are hit the hardest by content theft. This agreement is a textbook example of the private sector working cooperatively to help solve a glaring economic problem while protecting consumers."

Rich Bengloff, President of American Association of Independent Music (A2IM) called it an "historic agreement that will reduce the financial distress being experienced by our independent music label community so that our members and their artists can continue to create and invest in the music they love and, in doing so, help protect thousands of musical artists and their musical compositions, across the United States."

Both the Center for Copyright Information and the Copyright Alert System are voluntary collaborations between the entertainment and broadband business communities. Participating ISPs will begin implementing Copyright Alerts in 2011 and 2012.

The companies and associations collaborating on the framework include:

-- MPAA and MPAA members: Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures; Paramount Pictures Corporation; Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.; Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation; Universal City Studios LLC; and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

-- RIAA and RIAA members: Universal Music Group Recordings, Warner Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment, and EMI Music North America.

-- ISPs: AT&T, Cablevision Systems Corp., Comcast Corp., Time Warner Cable, and Verizon.

-- IFTA: representing the Independent Producers & Distributors of Film & Television Programming.

-- A2IM: representing their 283 music label members, small and medium sized businesses located across the United States representing many different musical genres reflective of the cultural diversity of our country.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/08/isps-agree-on-copyright-alert-system-plan-to-notify-you-to-dea/

My experience: A couple of days after it was first released, my uncle, who I'm staying with received a call from Verizon regarding some illegal downloading. My cousin admitted to him that it was him who downloaded the specific file in question. (Yes, they had the file name)

Yesterday, we received yet another notification regarding illegal activity. I have no idea who it was this time, but I'm wondering if this will have much affect when it comes to streaming games. It seems unlikely as most streams are broadcasted from TV stations that function outside the US. The other question was whether streaming in general may have an impact.

Rumors: I've been reading a bit over the last month about how Verizon, or whichever company they hire, upload files online, to torrent and other file-sharing websites only to catch illegal activity.

poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Illegal Downloading in America Empty Re: Illegal Downloading in America

Post by Shamirr Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:00 am

Get PeerBlock (or a similar program) for p2p's... Should keep you safe from the powers that be... Not too concerned because like you said a lot of Streams and content in general for that matter is from outside the US.
Shamirr
Shamirr
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:10 am

Besides, theoreitcally they cant prove it was you who was downloading illegal stuff from the net.
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:16 am

ill remove the password from my wireless router so i can blame the neighbors next time i download :G
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:17 pm

The xcx wrote:Besides, theoreitcally they cant prove it was you who was downloading illegal stuff from the net.

Right, I understand that. However, some rumors are suggesting that to appeal a warning (so that it doesn't count towards the six total) users would have to pay a fee, REGARDLESS OF whether you are innocent or not.

I'm not worried for the most part as I don't download illegally. All my music is bought and most TV and movies are left for Netflix and Hulu.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by pUsHa Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Wow u guys must be careful ... I download illegal stuff every day ... And nobody comes to seek me :coffee:

I havent paid for a song or movie my whole life ,lulz
pUsHa
pUsHa
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:33 pm

The xcx wrote:Besides, theoreitcally they cant prove it was you who was downloading illegal stuff from the net.

They actually can, theres a thing called your IP address and they can track it Thumbs up

It's just despite what the government says( atleast in England anyway) they dont give 2 sh*ts about it otherwise iam sure alot more people would have been locked up by now or atleast heavily fined.

I know people that have over 500gb of illegal downloaded music on thier computer and they havent even had a knock on thier door asking the questions.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:43 pm

be careful guys, got two warnings myself, one from using piratebay and another i forgot.

basically. if you need movies and tv shows the New NinjaVideo www.icefilms.info

also, you can use private torrents, but it's hard to get into good ones, which is what i am trying to do i guess
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:48 pm

I got 1.5tb of illegal music on my hard drive and i never got 1 warning lol.

I always download when everyone sleeps so it doesnt suck other people's speed, never ever download during the day.

I dont know if this is the reason but it cant hurt no?
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by zarola Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:55 pm

If you stay away from torrenting you wont get caught usually. In regards to streaming i think they target the website not the downloaders. The thing is when you torrent you also give access to other people to download it off of you so you become apart of the problem as well.
zarola
zarola
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:23 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:

They actually can, theres a thing called your IP address and they can track it Thumbs up

It's just despite what the government says( atleast in England anyway) they dont give 2 sh*ts about it otherwise iam sure alot more people would have been locked up by now or atleast heavily fined.

I know people that have over 500gb of illegal downloaded music on thier computer and they havent even had a knock on thier door asking the questions.

There is a record of the IP address but there is no proof whether someone managed to access your wireless connection and use it to download illegally.

As far as illegally downloading stuff, it's stealing. (And that's my view on it) Which is why I try to stay away from most of it if possible. I buy all my music and watch most shows I want through Hulu or Netflix and in the rare case, TV.

As far as music goes, I have been buying for a while, and while it is expensive, it isn't difficult to understand why. (Damn you illegal downloaders)
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:25 pm

The US government doesn't really care... they catch one or two random people every year just to scare people...and alot of times it old ladies or teenager....\

pool it may be illegal but it's the companies fault for not using the internet for their advantage..... they could make tons of $$ by just putting ads or something.... like Pandora.....
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:32 pm

poolsupporter wrote:
Immaculate_Mole wrote:

There is a record of the IP address but there is no proof whether someone managed to access your wireless connection and use it to download illegally.

As far as illegally downloading stuff, it's stealing. (And that's my view on it) Which is why I try to stay away from most of it if possible. I buy all my music and watch most shows I want through Hulu or Netflix and in the rare case, TV.

As far as music goes, I have been buying for a while, and while it is expensive, it isn't difficult to understand why. (Damn you illegal downloaders)

It's not all down to illegal downloads, music has been the price it is now for a very long time atleast in England it has anyway.

And yes it is stealing, i buy all my games, movies, tv series etc but i download music illegally tbh i dont know why( not all of it is mind you but i do it none the less)
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by IzzyC08 Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:53 pm

Nick your a frakking SAINT!!!!! I've been looking for a replacement for months now. Thanks brah!
IzzyC08
IzzyC08
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by huntsman Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:26 pm

I just bought the kaspersky internet security kit. Paid for it from my pocket.
huntsman
huntsman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:30 pm

We are safe in england Cool

dont worry mole
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:35 pm

RealGunner wrote:We are safe in england Cool

dont worry mole

Oh i know lol, if we wasnt. Me and about 6 or 7 people i know would have been behind bars now. Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by IzzyC08 Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:00 pm

For me when I was back in School I used to download tons of music then one day I downloaded a program and they were on my ass quick. They shut off my internet and said that they were monitoring my comp and once I had deleted the program they would turn it back on. Mad

IzzyC08
IzzyC08
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Laughing

My hardrive has more pirates than the Black Pearl. pirat

But that's completely normal in these parts of the world. You can't even find legal shit.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:13 pm

imalegend wrote:The US government doesn't really care... they catch one or two random people every year just to scare people...and alot of times it old ladies or teenager....\

pool it may be illegal but it's the companies fault for not using the internet for their advantage..... they could make tons of $$ by just putting ads or something.... like Pandora.....

This, if you read the article and my experience is the first proper method brought about to combat piracy. My family have been called by Verizon as have numerous other people in the States. They obviously won't shut down your cable subscription, but they will fine you. Over time, that will add up to a lot money.

As for the second statement, don't even try justifying stealing. I've done it as well and it is wrong. You wouldn't walk into a store, grab some CDs and walk out without paying now, would you? Not paying for your music, TV shows or whatever else is stealing. No other way around this fact.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:16 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:
Immaculate_Mole wrote:

It's not all down to illegal downloads, music has been the price it is now for a very long time atleast in England it has anyway.

And yes it is stealing, i buy all my games, movies, tv series etc but i download music illegally tbh i dont know why( not all of it is mind you but i do it none the less)

Obviously not all of it. The place where I buy my music from is expensive, but there are record pools, as well as other places where you can buy albums or monthly subscriptions that are completely worth it if you are into the type of music offered.

Once you start buying, you will never go back to downloading music illegally. For the most part it's true.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:

They actually can, theres a thing called your IP address and they can track it Illegal Downloading in America 3176931354

Thats called hard evidence brah, they can never assure it was you who was downloading illegal stuff from net. Besides downloading illegal material, they cant really charge you for that, but what they can do is start a lawsuit, and those dosent usually end well.
500gb is nothing compared to people who has using it since 2004.
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Oh and Id like to add that people getting caught are usually uploaders, not downloaders its impossible to authorities always to track back ur ip, since you can always use proxys, or change ur IP, if your net provider allows it.
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:55 pm

The xcx wrote:Oh and Id like to add that people getting caught are usually uploaders, not downloaders its impossible to authorities always to track back ur ip, since you can always use proxys, or change ur IP, if your net provider allows it.

Yeah, if you use a torrent program, block sharing and you're unlikely to get caught.

Anyway my ISP isn't on there, that's good.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:50 pm

I love how the government goes after teenagers and what not downloading music instead of going after the child molesters, terrorists, and serial killers on the loose.
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next