Is Messi already best player of UCL-era?

+35
Lord Hades
pUsHa
izzy
nichabr
zizzle
jibers
Moffo
Sushi Master
del_boy
kiranr
barca 2011
CBarca
emassy
M99
billy_gr
Mamad
Kev
S32TABLANCA
StevieRayVaughan
Toffer Harley
Lord Awesome
Freeza
Albiceleste
paperbackwriter
Doc
free_cat
The BoyWonder
BeautifulGame
Great Leader Sprucenuce
BarrileteCosmico
guest7
EarlyPrototype
the xcx
Jack Daniels
Harmonica
39 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is Messi already best player of UCL-era? Empty Is Messi already best player of UCL-era?

Post by Harmonica Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:59 pm

Well, best attacking player, there is certainly argument for that. Here is table of statistics of Top 15 goal scorers of UCL-era:

Is Messi already best player of UCL-era? Di-VKIL

Is Messi already best player of UCL-era? Di-65WV

Only players for me who are in the same ballpark, statistic wise, are Shevchenko, RvN and Raul.

- Shevchenko
Has more goals overall, and almost equal amount of goals in knockout stages. But loses in goals ratio, individual and club awards. IMO advantage Messi.

- RvN
Has more goals overall and better goal ratio. But has only 6 goals in knockout stages and no club title. IMO advantage Messi.

- Raul
Has more goals overall, but with inferior ratio. Also has one individual awards less. Others are equal. Can't really decide so I will call it draw.

So for me it's between Messi and Raul, for now. Could change already after next year.

What do you think?

Last edited by jiopsi on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Is Messi already best player of UCL-era? Empty Re: Is Messi already best player of UCL-era?

Post by Jack Daniels Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Well atm it's hard to decide. But if Messi continues his' unbelievable goalscoring form then surely he would surpass everyone above him in that list.

Well in the titles category he already has the highest tally.
Jack Daniels
Jack Daniels
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Is Messi already best player of UCL-era? Empty Re: Is Messi already best player of UCL-era?

Post by the xcx Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Oh dear, another Messi related thread :/
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:06 pm

Many of those players would do better in this Barca team.

Edit: better than themselves.

Last edited by EarlyPrototype on Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:06 pm

He is topping everywhere, he has a good ratio in the El Clasicos, in La Liga etc.

I think only one matching his goal ratio was R9. So yes.
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Best goalscorer undoubtedly. Wink

He is the best player, but for totally unrelated reasons to mere goals to game ratios Smile
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:10 pm

The xcx wrote:Oh dear, another Messi related thread :/
There's not a single other Messi thread in the first page of the general section, so of the 50 most recent threads only 1 has been about Messi. Go troll elsewhere Wink
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Banned.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:19 pm

Zidane.The best of this generation IMO.

Unless i am mistaken and this thread is solely about who is the best player in CL.Then yes he is best attacking player in CL since it was started.Maldini will have a claim for best player IMO.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The BoyWonder Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:07 pm

jiopsi stp scking messi's midget dck so mch...

The BoyWonder
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by The BoyWonder Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:08 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
There's not a single other Messi thread in the first page of the general section, so of the 50 most recent threads only 1 has been about Messi. Go troll elsewhere Wink

i thought every fckin thread was about messi (or atleast someone manages to mention his name in it)...

The BoyWonder
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:18 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:Zidane.The best of this generation IMO.

Unless i am mistaken and this thread is solely about who is the best player in CL.Then yes he is best attacking player in CL since it was started.Maldini will have a claim for best player IMO.
Yes strictly UCL. Btw numbers for Zidane if you want to know, which are good for middfielder I think:

Zidane: age 39 goals 14 knockout 8 ratio 0,17 titles ind. 0 titles champ 1 titles overall 1.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:32 pm

This forum is on the downhill very fast. How can this OP neg repped? Ridiculous.

Messi is the best attacker since the CL era started.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:44 pm

Once he continues his impeccable form, I don't see any faults in labeling him as such. Sure makes more sense than the "Greatest ever" nonsense that was being spewed.

Whether he is considered now is subject to subjectivity but I think he'll break Raul's record. I really think it's very much possible...
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:45 pm

jiopsi wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:Zidane.The best of this generation IMO.

Yes strictly UCL. Btw numbers for Zidane if you want to know, which are good for middfielder I think:

Zidane: age 39 goals 14 knockout 8 ratio 0,17 titles ind. 0 titles champ 1 titles overall 1.

Fair enough its only about CL Messi is not only the best attacking player since CL started but will also comfortably become the best player in CL era in not too distant future usurping Maldini who i personally think is the best player in CL era IMO.

Well unless Podolski decides to show who is the BOSS. Twisted Evil
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:46 pm

free_cat wrote:This forum is on the downhill very fast. How can this OP neg repped? Ridiculous.

I'm not sure if it's the topic he got negged for or him personally but the forum is doing fine. Maybe some people shouldn't be sensitive and relax a bit...
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbackwriter Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Seedorf, 4 titles, 3 different teams. Best midfielder 2 times.
paperbackwriter
paperbackwriter
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:24 pm

paperbackwriter wrote:Seedorf, 4 titles, 3 different teams. Best midfielder 2 times.
Only one time best midfielder.

UEFA positional awards 97~: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Club_Football_Awards#Best_Midfielder
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:49 pm

The BoyWonder wrote:jiopsi stp scking messi's midget dck so mch...
You create 15 threads a day about pointless crap, you have no right to tell anyone what to do, don't even post in a thread if you're going to post garbage like this.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:50 pm

Doc wrote:
free_cat wrote:This forum is on the downhill very fast. How can this OP neg repped? Ridiculous.

I'm not sure if it's the topic he got negged for or him personally but the forum is doing fine. Maybe some people shouldn't be sensitive and relax a bit...
You get neg repped if you bring up anything about Barcelona or anything against Madrid.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Eto'o and Raul imo

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:57 pm

Is Messi already best player of UCL-era? Ucl_to10

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:03 pm

Ruud was amazing in his United days, also Raul and Seedorf have been great. But yeah Messi is already one of the best so far, but i would still like to see him in another team or Barca with different players and style
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Lionel Messi wrote:
Doc wrote:

You get neg repped if you bring up anything about Barcelona or anything against Madrid.

That is a slightly narrow way of looking at it. It's not because one brings up Barca or against Madrid (although there is truth to what you say) but one must take into consideration the men who makes the thread. Jjopsi is a troll and quite possibly a good one. He has said several outlandish things about Madrid players that may not be considered pleasant so whatever he makes in the future would probably be deemed "troll" even though this thread certainly isn't.

Anyway, the forum is fine. Posters need to be less sensitive about matters...
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Doc wrote:
Lionel Messi wrote:
Doc wrote:

That is a slightly narrow way of looking at it. It's not because one brings up Barca or against Madrid (although there is truth to what you say) but one must take into consideration the men who makes the thread. Jjopsi is a troll and quite possibly a good one. He has said several outlandish things about Madrid players that may not be considered pleasant so whatever he makes in the future would probably be deemed "troll" even though this thread certainly isn't.

Anyway, the forum is fine. Posters need to be less sensitive about matters...
Good point, but I believe there was an actual discussion to be had here and maybe people were to quick to assume it was troll thread.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next