Firenze
Arquitecto
El Gunner
32 posters

Page 15 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

23/24 UCL Knockout Stage - Page 15 Empty Re: 23/24 UCL Knockout Stage

Post by halamadrid2 Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 9:40

El Gunner wrote:before the match: "Bayern have all the experience, Arsenal don't stand a chance"
"last 3 times Bayern played Arsenal they won 5-1 each time"

after the match: "worst Bayern in 20 years"
Before the match:

Arsenal fans: we will win the CL, can't wait to beat RM
After the game: :vagi:

Even the worst Bayern in 20 years is better than your best version.

halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 9:44

The Demon of Carthage wrote:Very impressed with the team honestly. I really didn't think Madrid would beat City in the return leg, especially considering we were playing with many key players out injured.

When City equalized, I really thought the game would shift to City's favor, but Madrid held on brilliantly and didn't lose hope, event at times when City was viciously attacking on all fronts.

Bravo to them, I didn't want City to win it back to back and Madrid made sure of that.

I've seen it quite a few times in the league, as well. Against teams that defend well, including bottom table teams, City dominate possession and turn it into a battle of attrition instead of utilizing their superior, individual quality. I'm sure there are arguments that it's a sensible tactic that leaves the least room for risk, but it's backfired more than once and you'd think they'd learn from it over time. It's why they've struggled against the likes of Wolverhampton and Brentford this season.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 10:04

El Gunner wrote:before the match: "Bayern have all the experience, Arsenal don't stand a chance"
"last 3 times Bayern played Arsenal they won 5-1 each time"

after the match: "worst Bayern in 20 years"

I never said that, what are you on about?
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 11:26

Thimmy wrote:
The Demon of Carthage wrote:Very impressed with the team honestly. I really didn't think Madrid would beat City in the return leg, especially considering we were playing with many key players out injured.

When City equalized, I really thought the game would shift to City's favor, but Madrid held on brilliantly and didn't lose hope, event at times when City was viciously attacking on all fronts.

Bravo to them, I didn't want City to win it back to back and Madrid made sure of that.

I've seen it quite a few times in the league, as well. Against teams that defend well, including bottom table teams, City dominate possession and turn it into a battle of attrition instead of utilizing their superior, individual quality. I'm sure there are arguments that it's a sensible tactic that leaves the least room for risk, but it's backfired more than once and you'd think they'd learn from it over time. It's why they've struggled against the likes of Wolverhampton and Brentford this season.

To be honest, they came very close to scoring on a couple of occasions, and the brutal possession-based approach they have makes most teams break under pressure. So the only antidote for the visiting team is to put out a perfect defensive approach with zero mistakes. It's extremely hard to do that, but when you do, Pep has no answer to that.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 12:18

Only hoped and prayed for Arsenal to get koed. Thought Citeh were too strong for Madrid at home. So, bloody fricking brilliant they too got done. Thanks a ton, you beauties Bayern and Madrid. cheers

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 12:36

You know your team is in the shithole when you celebrate Arsenal losing.

Stay safe UTD fans
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 12:43

El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 13:55

The Demon of Carthage wrote:
Thimmy wrote:

To be honest, they came very close to scoring on a couple of occasions, and the brutal possession-based approach they have makes most teams break under pressure. So the only antidote for the visiting team is to put out a perfect defensive approach with zero mistakes. It's extremely hard to do that, but when you do, Pep has no answer to that.

Yeah, I get the idea behind it. But then they also have more individual quality than most teams, and you can't help but suspect that they would've won those 90% possession matches this season if they had allowed their players the freedom to influence the match, as opposed to prioritizing possession and minimizing risk. They lost to fricken Brentford with that brilliant strategy Laughing
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 13:57

El Gunner wrote:

I think most, if not all of their regular starters have been injured at some point this season.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 14:14

BarcaLearning wrote:How tf did Real beat MAn C again Very Happy Seems like Man C wasted many chances, n Real got that goal from that counter as usual, n as it went to pens there were only one winner cos Real r so experienced at it... ffs... plssss someone stop these fkers from winning again Very Happy Dread of thought they winning it again even b4 Mbappe comes is nightmare coming true lol... they gonna have 20+ CLs by the time Mbappe/Vini retires with them ftw XD

Oh yea n Pep n Haaland etc flopped again... love of Grealish helped kill the tie for Real lol...

N Arsenal, never rated them, overhyped as expected... losing to the worst Bayern in over a decade Very Happy

Mbappe do one over Real b4 u join them pls, PSG PSG PSG~~

rofl rofl rofl
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 14:21

Thimmy wrote:

Pep’s city yesterday looked like Spain’s seleccion 2010 and later!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 15:14

Real Madrid are gonna be unstoppable for the next 10 years or so I guess.

Secured all the current and future best talents as well. And some of them are French. Their squad literally looks like a talent factory right now.

I'm sure Sports will reconsider his decision of not supporting Madrid in a year or two.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 15:40

Ancelotti is soccer's Godfather, has to be said. Even Mou would be proud of this one.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 12:15

I actually had to check the whole "worst Bayern in 20 years" line and technically (from a Bundesliga standpoint), they aren't. The worst would be the 06/07 Bayern which finished 4th with 60 points. I apparently have no recollection of this event.

However, this version of Bayern is easily within the top ten of the worst editions in said time frame so, not too far off.

I say all that to say that Arsenal fans (mostly Twitter/X) really should have seen this coming after they put themselves in a place to be mocked relentlessly when things didn't work out. Which it didn't.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 13:17

El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 17:45

Lord Awesome wrote:Ancelotti is soccer's Godfather, has to be said. Even Mou would be proud of this one.

Bellingham said in the post game interview that they have no passing patters and structure like in other clubs and they just wing it when they get out on the pitch.

It's just good vibes in there and it somehow works. Probably works well to be unpredictable in a knockout tournament.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 17:46

El Gunner wrote:

Play 4 cbs at the back and sit deep, did this guy graduate la masia or the jose mourinho unviersity?
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 18:01

Myesyats wrote:
Lord Awesome wrote:Ancelotti is soccer's Godfather, has to be said. Even Mou would be proud of this one.

Bellingham said in the post game interview that they have no passing patters and structure like in other clubs and they just wing it when they get out on the pitch.

It's just good vibes in there and it somehow works. Probably works well to be unpredictable in a knockout tournament.
That's not what he said lol

Probably a subtle dig at Pep and his micromanagement. There is a reason Haaland looks like a league 2 player and Grealish like an English Antony
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 18:07

Pep wants his teams to behave like a robot, there are no rooms for creative individual freedom, every player is just a cog in Pep's machine.

I can understand why players like Bellingham wouldn't accept something like that.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 20:19

@Myescats the great GODFATHER Ancelotti was clearly inspired by the measly Arteta
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 20:50

El Gunner wrote:@Myescats the great GODFATHER Ancelotti was clearly inspired by the measly Arteta

Nothing wrong with that. Arteta has had success against city and Carlo noticing and used it in formulating his tactics. Also Arteta, despite initially being written off by most of this forum, has proven he is a good coach in getting Arsenal to CL two years in a row. I credit all this to his Spanish genes!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 21:31

halamadrid2 wrote:That's not what he said lol

That is what he said

" Our biggest strength is [Ancelotti] finds a way to let the boys play with freedom. Other teams are structured with their patterns of play but we’re so off the cuff "
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 22:20

If Pep can be beat by pure improvisation then every team would do it. Conditioning a defense to cut opposing passing lanes, triangle manuvers, and dummy runs as well as disciplining your backline to not make any unnessecary tackles isnt an easy thing to do. On top of that City's players know how to dribble past most teams and have aerial options during set plays. City litterally have everything to attack with and only managed a goal from a mistake by Rudiger. While RM over here are improvising Bellingham as a false 9 and lose Tchouameni at the back and still managed to get to penalties. All of that, and Ancelotti still managed to eliminate Pep again.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 22:50

Despite all of that organization, discipline and whatnot, he’s only won the Champions League once since leaving his legendary Barcelona side behind. Barcelona won it again after he left, while he kept failing to win it with incredibly strong Bayern and Man City sides. I’d argue his teams have even been favorites to win it prior to last season, and he still failed to reach the final.

He’s certainly creative with his shuffling of player positions and tactical setups, and that’s presumably the reason why he’s considered a genius, but sometimes I really can’t help but wonder if he’d be more successful if he took some risks in the Champions League. Minimizing risk-taking may pay off in a long, league season, but the teams he’s managed are never the underdogs.

He’s got plenty of players who can make a difference when given the freedom to do so, but instead they predictably prioritize the possession game that honestly hasn’t served him all that well in this tournament considering the talent he’s had at his disposal.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 23:38

yea for a coach known for his expressiveness and innovation to modern football he certainly becomes very "rigid" in the CL... don't know why, maybe he just overvalues it too much and then gets in his own way, but it's definitely his kryptonite post-Messi and Xaviesta

btw where is @Casciavit
fully satiated after Messi's WC win? miss his in-depth analysis
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Sat 20 Apr 2024 - 0:57

The Champions is simply a different beast than playing any of the leagues. The cup format has historically given lesser squads the opportunity to take down better equipped squads and thus you see it reflected alot of the times.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next