Unique
Freeza
El Gunner
39 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by Blue Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:41 am

Full Metal Jacket is probably my second favorite war movie, definitely one of Kubrick best movies. I have not seen Eyes Wide Shut, based on the description cant imagine it something i would like.

If curious The Deer Hunter tops my all time favorite war movie. If you have not seen it, i highly recommend it. imo it has some of the best moments in cinema history. I still watch it from time to time.

Blue
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:45 pm

Harmonica wrote:
El Gunner wrote:it's part of a movie's overall greatness and the director's vision and direction to bring such a piece of composition out of a sound composer
Although there's lot of director composer duos, nothing beats Leone Morricone. Leone used to play Morricone's score in the set, so everybody could choreograph perfectly in sync.

No one was better than him. People these days hype Hans Zimmer to James Newton Howard forget how many in between generic pieces they have whereas Morricone succeeded for generations and wrote timeless pieces.

@Blue. Recommending Deer Hunter is a slippery slope as it had one of the slowest starts to any film and is quite acquired of a taste to watch.

Brilliant film as I'd rate it 5/5 but would be interesting to see how many here like it.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:04 am

Arquitecto wrote:
Harmonica wrote:
El Gunner wrote:it's part of a movie's overall greatness and the director's vision and direction to bring such a piece of composition out of a sound composer
Although there's lot of director composer duos, nothing beats Leone Morricone. Leone used to play Morricone's score in the set, so everybody could choreograph perfectly in sync.

No one was better than him. People these days hype Hans Zimmer to James Newton Howard forget how many in between generic pieces they have whereas Morricone succeeded for generations and wrote timeless pieces.

@Blue. Recommending Deer Hunter is a slippery slope as it had one of the slowest starts to any film and is quite acquired of a taste to watch.

Brilliant film as I'd rate it 5/5 but would be interesting to see how many here like it.

You are right it is not everyone kinda tune. For anyone coming expecting a lot of action will be disappointed and it is a 3 hour movie.

I love how the first part of the movie introduces the characters and community. Virtually every movie spends little or no time meeting the characters before they are in uniform. You only get to know them when they are at war. But in The Deer Hunter it is opposite.

To know the effect you have to know what it was before.

What you get is the most relatable characters in war movie ever. Bunch of friends going about their simple life; work and spending their off time having fun and getting drunk. And specifically we all know a guy like them.

Michael( De Niro)- the quiet and calm guy, who is quite grounded.
Nick- the fun and carefree dude.
Steven- the young pup, the guy everyone looks after.
John- the guy who is always happy, and having fun all the time.
Axel- the goof.
Stanley- the prick and asshole we all know. This is John Cazale last movie, unbelievable actor every movie he has appeared on was nominated for best picture. You always hate his characters, but it is hard not to appreciate his great acting.

Depicting war can be very tricky from a mental standpoint, so this movie introduces Russian roulette to bridge that gap because like war especially in Vietnam you never know when that next built comes for you, can only hope it is not loaded.

The piano bar scene when it transition to the Vietnam war is one of my favorite scenes in cinema. Singing and being drunk, when John starts playing Chopin’s Nocturne No. 6 in G Minor is incredibly impactful.

Anyway masterful movie, i agree I think some will either love it or find boring and slow.
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:32 am

Blue wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:
Harmonica wrote:

You are right it is not everyone kinda tune. For anyone coming expecting a lot of action will be disappointed and it is a 3 hour movie.

I love how the first part of the movie introduces the characters and community. Virtually every movie spends little or no time meeting the characters before they are in uniform. You only get to know them when they are at war. But in The Deer Hunter it is opposite.

What you get is the most relatable characters in war movie ever. Bunch of friends going about their simple life; work and spending their off time having fun and getting drunk. And specifically we all know a guy like them.

Axel- the goof.
Stanley- the prick and asshole we all know. This is John Cazale last movie, unbelievable actor every movie he has appeared on was nominated for best picture. You always hate his characters, but it is hard not to appreciate his great acting.

Depicting war can be very tricky from a mental standpoint, so this movie introduces Russian roulette to bridge that gap because like war especially in Vietnam you never know when that next built comes for you, can only hope it is not loaded.

The piano bar scene when it transition to the Vietnam war is one of my favorite scenes in cinema. Singing and being drunk, when John starts playing Chopin’s Nocturne No. 6 in G Minor is incredibly impactful.

Anyway masterful movie, i agree I think some will either love it or find boring and slow.

Oh man that was satisfying to read. Will watch out for future recommendations of yours based on your insight in a film let alone the patience for Cimino's classic in Deer Hunter. Brilliant.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:21 am

Arquitecto wrote:
Blue wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:

Axel- the goof.

Oh man that was satisfying to read. Will watch out for future recommendations of yours based on your insight in a film let alone the patience for Cimino's classic in Deer Hunter. Brilliant.

Appreciate your kind words.
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:29 pm

i'm so happy.... i thought 2021 didn't have a 5-star film... ladies and gentlemen, Ridley Scott still has it in him...

THE LAST DUEL :bow: :bow: :bow:
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:46 am

The Last Duel was great. I have it ranked 2nd for 2021 for me.

Dune was a masterpiece for me and by far the best of 2021. I was a huge fan of the books growing up so I have nostalgia factor going for it, I definitely understand people wanting to wait for Part II to give proper judgement on it because of where the story stops. But Denis Villeneuve built a world I thought was impossible to bring to the big screen.

2021 Ranking
Dune - 9.0
The Last Duel - 8.5
Nightmare Alley - 8.3
Belfast - 8.3
Oxygen - 8.1
Zack Snyder’s Justice League - 8.1
Last night in Soho - 8.0
Judas and the Black Messiah - 8.0
The Worst Person In The World - 8.0

I didn't watch too many and I'm sure I'm definitely missing a lot of good ones for the year but I ranked a lot in the 7.5-7.9 region. These were the only ones that broke the 8.0 mark on my personal made up film grading system. I very rarely give 9.0 or above so Dune had to be special to break that.

EDIT: Added a couple of more I forgot to include.

Last edited by McAgger on Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:10 am

haven't seen Oxygen out of those, will be on it. Didn't like Last Night in Soho... Edgar Wright's first career dud imo

i'll make my official ranking the day of the Oscars as always but here's some other films i enjoyed you might not have seen yet:
Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy
The Beta Test
The Lost Daughter
Red Rocket
Tragedy of Macbeth
The Green Knight
The Matrix Resurrections
The Worst Person in the World
Spencer
Boiling Point
No time to Die
CODA
Old
Bad Trip
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:26 am

Last Duel (like countless films) is one I've procrastinated in seeing. Ridley Scott Im sure some know is the absolute granddaddy of the epic genre so not surprised he came out with another knocker. Aflleck and Damon is a...really odd choice for one Laughing but should stimulate my senses for that genre.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:19 am

Adding a couple of more I forgot to include.

Nightmare Alley - 8.3
The Worst Person In The World - 8.0
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:20 pm

Saw The Batman, was disappointed by the movie; the part I enjoyed the most was when Robert Pattinson actually popped out for real by surprise inside my movie theater to wish us all a good time. I basically had front row seats and he actually came out right in front of me, was at arms length. Twas cool.

As for the movie, without trying to spoil it: I liked the casting choices and the visual aesthetics of the movie but the story, plot, and general feel of the movie was not to my liking at all and it unfortunately was par for the course schlock for what can be expected of mainstream "superhero" movies. I was not surprised but still I was disappointed as I love Batman and the lore and I was hoping the sensibilities shown in the first trailer would by some miracle from god pan out with more tasteful substance behind them than how it all inevitably turned out. I remember the first trailer looked and felt like a dream to me, in the following teasers and trailers I could feel the cracks already.

Felt kinda bummed out for the cast actually, they deserved better. The movie is also a good example for me of why in an ideal world there wouldn't be superhero movies anymore, i'd much rather see a The Batman TV series with artistic integrity produced by HBO or something, the movie format is a tired and limiting one. The movie was 3 hours long and it was used clumsily, and it all wreaks of soulless corporatism. Weak and even embarrassing at points.

I'm not much for theaters or Hollywood, hadn't gone to a theater since The Last Jedi, both then and now I was disappointed and I knew I was going to be. I always think it's a shame when shiny movies with so much resources behind them end up being trite garbage. Kinda like eating a hollow tasteless cake with fancy decoration on it; you know it's not healthy and that nutritionally it is garbage because it's cake, but when you actually start eating a slice of it it's even worse because it's so bland and typical despite the decoration. Just throw out the fucking cakes.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:01 pm

Dafuq another Batman movie? Laughing

Movies dodo.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:23 am

I didn't know where else to put this. This guy is doing a great job acting like Pennywise. He's really creepy Laughing

Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:45 am

The Madrid One wrote:Saw The Batman, was disappointed by the movie; the part I enjoyed the most was when Robert Pattinson actually popped out for real by surprise inside my movie theater to wish us all a good time. I basically had front row seats and he actually came out right in front of me, was at arms length. Twas cool.

As for the movie, without trying to spoil it: I liked the casting choices and the visual aesthetics of the movie but the story, plot, and general feel of the movie was not to my liking at all and it unfortunately was par for the course schlock for what can be expected of mainstream "superhero" movies. I was not surprised but still I was disappointed as I love Batman and the lore and I was hoping the sensibilities shown in the first trailer would by some miracle from god pan out with more tasteful substance behind them than how it all inevitably turned out. I remember the first trailer looked and felt like a dream to me, in the following teasers and trailers I could feel the cracks already.

Felt kinda bummed out for the cast actually, they deserved better. The movie is also a good example for me of why in an ideal world there wouldn't be superhero movies anymore, i'd much rather see a The Batman TV series with artistic integrity produced by HBO or something, the movie format is a tired and limiting one. The movie was 3 hours long and it was used clumsily, and it all wreaks of soulless corporatism. Weak and even embarrassing at points.  

I'm not much for theaters or Hollywood, hadn't gone to a theater since The Last Jedi, both then and now I was disappointed and I knew I was going to be. I always think it's a shame when shiny movies with so much resources behind them end up being trite garbage. Kinda like eating a hollow tasteless cake with fancy decoration on it; you know it's not healthy and that nutritionally it is garbage because it's cake, but when you actually start eating a slice of it it's even worse because it's so bland and typical despite the decoration. Just throw out the fucking cakes.

Agreed. Except for Pattinson's acting, the movie was a big meh for me. Same old same old. When you are making like the 100th batman movie, you have to atleast put an effort to make it unique, right? Instead turned out to b just another Batman begins with younger main characters.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:08 am

The Madrid One wrote:Saw The Batman, was disappointed by the movie; the part I enjoyed the most was when Robert Pattinson actually popped out for real by surprise inside my movie theater to wish us all a good time. I basically had front row seats and he actually came out right in front of me, was at arms length. Twas cool.

This is probably the most pretentious post in the history of GL.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:15 pm

M99 wrote:

This is probably the most pretentious post in the history of GL.

Once you hear him speak your opinion will be reinforced Laughing
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:02 pm

fear not brethren, for i will be going to see it tomorrow, then i'll give my respected opinion

-------

https://goallegacy.forumotion.com/viewtopic.php?t=42936
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40