El Gunner
39 posters

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 15 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by McAgger Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:38 pm

RealGunner wrote:Didn't EG love that film hmm

or was that james

Wasn't me lol. I haven't even seen it yet. I do remember someone here hyping it though. Maybe M69 or ES.

McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:41 pm

CBarca wrote:
El Gunner wrote:Pretty much my thoughts on Waves and the same rating as well^^

The first half of the movie focusing on the boy and his relationship with his father was good, but then that reached its climax quickly and then the movie had a completely different second half to it Laughing

Spoiler:

and my ratings would be completely the opposite. Just because of they didn't even focus that much on the daughter in the first half of the film and then suddenly they shifted focus to her Laughing and then i just feel the story with her boyfriend's father was also just odd, and where does it fit in with entire context of the centre focus of the movie which is their family. In the end i just felt the director lost focus and control Laughing

a shame because i really liked his previous film - It Comes at Night
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:45 pm

Freeza wrote:
It’s the new case for MRA idiots though. They found the one case where a woman was also at fault and now it’s a huge thing lol.

This is such a stupid post, freeza. I'm disappointed in you. Domestic violence against men happens quite frequently and should be spoken about more imo and not dismissed or waved off.

I don't know who MRA are, but if what Amber Heard did to Jonny Depp is true she should get the similar amount of shit Depp got when the story broke about him being abusive. He even got blacklisted from some sectors of his industry I believe.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:27 pm

I know plenty of men suffer domestic violence. I didn’t mean to make it sound generalistic, since we’re in the movie thread I was speaking about it in a Hollywood context.

Similar amount of shit? Like what? I think she already got shit on when it first circulated. If anything Amber Heard seems like the one who’s been denied work since. She’s filmed like 2 films since the divorce. That might be the right course of action given her temper though. I’d hate to work with her if she’s like that.

I don’t buy her being the reason for him not getting work. At some point he’s got to look inward and see that he might have lost roles because of his alcoholism that he really should seek help to deal with. Because it’s a serious problem. Hope he gets needed help. Not easy to get out from addiction when you’re living in an unhealthy situation either.

Also he’s not made a good movie in like 15 years, which also hurts his future roles, because he isn’t the star he used to be. It catches up to you when you phone it in for that long and the fans don’t take your craft seriously anymore.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:58 pm

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:56 pm

@M99 there's a Lee Chang-dong movie on YouTube titled Poetry - just search "Poetry Korean drama".
If you're expecting something Burning-esque, you'll be disappointed. Rather it's a poignant drama about a granny dealing with early onset of Alzheimer's whilst at the same dealing with a big drama that her grandson found himself involved in, and her taking poetry classes. It's beautiful, i loved it.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:32 pm

Young Kaz wrote:
did he just say non whites are being oppressed because he won an award. i mean has it got to the point where a great actor ( white actor ) feels guilty because he won a deserved award. i didnt think the joker was a great film by the way but his acting talent in the film was top class. unreal man :facepalm: how long will it be before black actors are getting awards because they are black. in 5 years time any black actor getting an award will think did i get this because im black or did i get this because i am a great actor that has worked my ass off for it.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:35 am

Joaquin is right to a great extent. It is verifiably racist for a white cisgender male to win an Oscar in 2020 and sincerely hope it does not happen next year.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:22 am

Talk about intentionally misinterpreting his comments.

Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Seriously what's the point of these awards now. Might as well scrap them if a white actor wins them it's racist. If black actors start winning them now you will wonder if it was given to stop shouts of racism.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:17 am

Unique wrote:
Young Kaz wrote:
did he just say non whites are being oppressed because he won an award. i mean has it got to the point where a great actor ( white actor ) feels guilty because he won a deserved award. i didnt think the joker was a great film by the way but his acting talent in the film was top class. unreal man :facepalm: how long will it be before black actors are getting awards because they are black. in 5 years time any black actor getting an award will think did i get this because im black or did i get this because i am a great actor that has worked my ass off for it.

Sorry, that's not what he said
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:53 pm

Kirk Douglas has died aged 103
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:21 pm

Finally caught 1917.

Every bit as good as I expected. I may be biased given my careful study of both World Wars but they captured the essence of the less documented WWI perfectly and we cannot forget the technical achievement of basically having majority of the film on one shot basis without it seeming like a 2d side-scrolling video game.

The two main actors performed very well for the lack of cutting room time they had since close to no breaks were involved and I cannot imagine how excruciating it must be to plan out a film of this length the way they performed it. I have always held one-shot takes in high regard so this was a delight for me. Capturing the variances of how each soldier old and young processes what was arguably the more brutal World War, was done very well and some scenes whilst subtle brought the horrific nature of the war very well.

The cameos too were welcome from Colin Firth to Cumberbatch to the highly underrated Richard Madden along with the always big on-screen presence of Mark Strong.

Obvious cuts in quality were a result of the desire to optimise on the technical achievement itself and the sets at times did not look too convincing; along with myself finding it difficult to be pulled in truly as such were the sacrifices but the film was every bit as good as it is said and would not argue against it being Best Picture. Highly recommend if you are a WWI fanatic.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:55 pm

@Freeza is in tears of rage, furiously typing on his keyboard.

Still to come in this thread -- Freeza "Sam Mendes personally violated me and all of my siblings in a basement 20 years ago. He's a vile and evil menace. His films are amongst the worst in history and I hope he gets coronavirus"

Spoiler:

On the other hand, I watched Marriage Story last night. I didn't particularly plan on watching it. I planned on going to bed about halfway through. I told my gf she could put it on but I likely wouldn't watch it all. It held my interest enough for me to finish the film, but it was not really all that great.

It did do a good job of capturing the unfairness of divorce as it relates to men. I certainly appreciated, however, the moment where they do acknowledge why the system is set up the way it is (it's fucked up, yes, but it's meant to protect women and children from a lot of men who would almost certainly fuck up their lives if they had the opportunity to). As much as there are problems with the system, it's important to acknowledge that it's not just an elaborate ploy to fuck men over at any opportunity.

I also think ScarJo and Driver did really good jobs. I'm not convinced that they were the tour de force in acting a lot of people portrayed them as in the film, but they were both quite good. Their characters were nuanced and as the coming apart of their marriage was revealed over time, the film managed to avoid the classic "guilty party" vs "not guilty party". Both individuals were neglected by the other in various ways, and both sacrificed things that would become problematic for themselves early on in their relationship. These are always important factors when a marriage comes to an end.

Still, there was something missing. As someone whose parents have flirted with divorce my entire life, I guess I would have expected the film to impose on me more emotionally. It didn't.

It was a good film. Not great. 7/10. The fact it's got a best pic nom is, to me, confusing. Especially if Knives Out didn't get one. Knives Out is a better film from almost every angle (although they are very different films)
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:02 pm

watched a few more 2019 films recently.

Hustlers is good. 4/5. Jennifer Lopez deserved an Oscar nom for best supporting actress, and probably should have gone on to win it. Between her and Florence Pugh in Little Women for me.

Alita: Battle Angel is decent. 3/5. Not strong enough writing to make the film stand out, but the action sequences are the best part. Perfectly set the stage for the sequel as well.

Velvet Buzzsaw was enjoyable as well. 3.5/5. It had an air of lightness to its entire satire and form, and that made it something a bit different from other satires.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:29 pm

@CBarca

Laughing

Sam Mendes isn’t interesting enough of a filmmaker to violate me.

Anyways Marriage Story is your gripe with best picture? When there’s Joho Rabbit and Joker nominates hmm
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:32 pm

Watched all fiction short films last night.

The live actions ones were really hit and miss and full of terrible cliches. Two of them revolves around rape as plot devices and themes.

The animated ones were absolutely incredible, beautiful and emotional. Kitbull, Hair Love and Memorable were all great.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:52 am

Freeza wrote:@CBarca

Laughing

Sam Mendes isn’t interesting enough of a filmmaker to violate me.

Anyways Marriage Story is your gripe with best picture? When there’s Joho Rabbit and Joker nominates hmm

I haven't seen JoJo Rabbit yet. It looks interesting to me. I didn't make a comment about Joker, but now that you mention it, I agree that shouldn't be up there either. I did like it more than Marriage Story, but not much more.

Just got back from 1917. It's good. Enjoyable. Didn't think it was special. A number of films are better.

Knives Out and Parasite are pretty clearly the two best films of the year to me. I think Little Women holds up well against some of these other films I've seen, too.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:23 am

Before the Oscars tell you what they think, let me tell you what i think Rolling Eyes

https://letterboxd.com/o_cav/list/2019-in-film/detail/

honestly, somewhat a disappointing year in film overall outside the excellence of the top 3, the rest was just personal enjoyment ranked to make up the top 10.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:11 pm

I’m gonna make me list too soon. Maybe tonight. I’ll have to edit though. Little Women not coming out until the end of next month in Denmark.

And I’m convinced it’ll be featured in my top 10.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:28 am

Best Oscar winners ever aside from lead roles ffs Proud

Parasite :bow:
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:38 am

Freeza wrote:Best Oscar winners ever aside from lead roles ffs Proud

Parasite :bow:

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 15 Giphy

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Oscars is dead to me.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:41 pm

Why what happened
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:42 pm

Haven't seen Parasite yet but skimming through the winners list I dont see anything controversial hmm
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:07 pm

I have a feeling they just went online to look at what people wanted to win for once and then they obliged so they can shut the people up for at least one year. Considering that half of the voters actually don't watch half of the films in contention apparently Laughing

But they've been long already dead to me. Couldn't care less about the Oscars honestly, they've been out of touch with original and modern cinema for the longest time. Hollywood is dying out and video on demand is taking over. Great time to be an indie filmmaker.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next