Freeza
El Gunner
29 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Movie House - Part 6 Empty The Movie House - Part 6

Post by El Gunner Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:36 pm

Part 6

At least you're acknowledging he stood a chance in 2004. For me and many other people that should've been it when we're looking back on his career. But that's cool if you prefered Foxx as Ray Charles, personally think his performance was of expectation, while Leo's was more powerful overall.

And btw. What same role? Are you saying Hans Landa and Dr. Schultz was the same character type or role?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 6 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 6

Post by Freeza Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:51 pm

El Gunner wrote:At least you're acknowledging he stood a chance in 2004. For me and many other people that should've been it when we're looking back on his career. But that's cool if you prefered Foxx as Ray Charles, personally think his performance was of expectation, while Leo's was more powerful overall.

And btw. What same role? Are you saying Hans Landa and Dr. Schultz was the same character type or role?

Essentially it was the same role, which explains why Waltz hasn't delivered in anything other than a Tarantino film. I haven't seen him excel in anything other than that.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Leo definitely should have won in 2004, no question for me.

Should have gotten Best Supporting Actor in 1992 too.

Got robbed of nomination in 2012.

His performance in Shutter Island was better than Colin Firth's in King's Speech too. Firth winning was a joke. It should have been either James Franco or Leo that year.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:46 pm

M99 wrote:Leo definitely should have won in 2004, no question for me.

Should have gotten Best Supporting Actor in 1992 too.

Got robbed of nomination in 2012.

His performance in Shutter Island was better than Colin Firth's in King's Speech too. Firth winning was a joke. It should have been either James Franco or Leo that year.

Shutter Island wasn't even close, come on. The best lead role of 2010 was Christian Bale in The Fighter anyways, they just choose some way to enter that in supporting. Ryan Gosling in Blue Valentine was my best of that entire year also.

And how was his Gilbert Grape role so much better than Ralph Fiennes?

Also Don Cheadle was also better than Leo in Aviator imo.

Can't see how you can claim he should've won 3, it's quite ridiculous really.

All I'm trying to say with this whole Leo thing is, that it's annoying to keep hearing how it's such a big travesty that he hasn't one an award yet and "finally" he could get it. Guy is 40 and has had a legit chance 1 or 2 years. Not really a travesty to lose out to the ones he's lost to.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:57 pm

I say he should have won two. Franco should have won in 2010. And I have seen both Hotel Rwanda and Ray and nope. Aviator was a legendary performance from Leo. That was his Oscar. I don't know where the hell this Cheadle>Leo came from, he was great but Leo put an all time great performance in Aviator.

Gilbert Grape performance was amazing. Which Fiennes movie are you talking about? Schindler's List? Leo's performance was powerful enough to move most audiences to tears and make people question whether the actor was really autistic because of how damn accurate he was. He would have won if he had more star power instead of being an unknown kid.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:06 pm

I can't really see how you're hyping this Aviator performance up to being this clear cut winner tbh, it was amazing, no doubt, but I can't see it as being this clear cut winner. I was more a fan of Blanchett's performance from the same film.

Also Amon Goeth (Schindler's List) played by Ralph Fiennes is always mentioned as one of the best villains in movie history, by almost everyone that's seen it, and I agree. That performance and film has already gone down in history.

Also the Leo was so close that they didn't know if it was an autistic kid are probably the same people who thought Blair Witch Project was real, combined with no one actually knowing who he was at the time.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:26 pm

Freeza wrote:
El Gunner wrote:At least you're acknowledging he stood a chance in 2004. For me and many other people that should've been it when we're looking back on his career. But that's cool if you prefered Foxx as Ray Charles, personally think his performance was of expectation, while Leo's was more powerful overall.

Essentially it was the same role, which explains why Waltz hasn't delivered in anything other than a Tarantino film. I haven't seen him excel in anything other than that.
The only thing it has in common is that Waltz played 2nd actor to the leading actor that's all.

The character traits of the two characters are different. In Basterds he was a cheeky, intense villain. In Django he was a badass drifter and an anti-hero you could say. He seemed invincible in Basterds, while in Django he wasn't as smart and strong when he met his match in Leo's character.

For me I just can't accept that you say it was the same role. He was tremendous in both films and I think he rightfully deserved both honours. It was tight with Leo, but overall throughout Django I felt he was more impressive. The first hour of the movie would've had many people walking out of the theatre if it wasn't for him.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:33 pm

In Django he was a charming creepy anti-hero that was interesting to hear talk.

In Basterds he was a charming creepy nazi that was interesting to hear talk.

Tarantino knows how to write for Waltz, who really is nothing but a somewhat good actor, from what I've seen. No one is better at writing for actors than Tarantino.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:48 pm

You are just simplifying it to fit your bill.
At the end of the day it was still two tremendous performances that on paper deserved to win, whether it was written perfectly for him or not, which seems to be your qualm, he still stepped up and delivered.

Awards are given on the individual performance and not looking back at the track record of the actor.

If Day Lewis comes out and delivers another great performance in a biopic and deserves to win, are you going to say he shouldn't because we've already seen him do something similar before?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:49 pm

Everyone knows Freeza is a Leo hater. This topic has been rehashed a million times.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:51 pm

Don't call me James wrote:Everyone knows Freeza is a Leo hater. This topic has been rehashed a million times.

Just stated I think he was the best supporting and Django and should've won not 3 posts ago. Just been saying your constant "It's such a travesty he hasn't won" is bullshit Laughing
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:54 pm

I've only ever claimed he should have won for The Aviator and What's Eating Gilbert Grape. And those years it wasn't particularly close, he was robbed and it was a travesty.

McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:55 pm

El Gunner wrote:You are just simplifying it to fit your bill.
At the end of the day it was still two tremendous performances that on paper deserved to win, whether it was written perfectly for him or not, which seems to be your qualm, he still stepped up and delivered.

Awards are given on the individual performance and not looking back at the track record of the actor.

If Day Lewis comes out and delivers another great performance in a biopic and deserves to win, are you going to say he shouldn't because we've already seen him do something similar before?

All I'm saying is there's a difference to acting, and reciting words. Hans Landa had a real aura around him and felt more interesting for me personally than King Schultz. I didn't feel anything outside of the great lines that were written for the character and feel that Leo was better.

Also just to end it here, he wasn't by any means a supporting character in Django. He was no doubt a lead. Just like Christian Bale in The Fighter. The Academy needs to fix this problem. Andy Serkis as Caesar was listed as supporting last year Laughing
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Don't call me James wrote:I've only ever claimed he should have won for The Aviator and What's Eating Gilbert Grape. And those years it wasn't particularly close, he was robbed and it was a travesty.

So you don't think Ralph Fiennes as Amon Goeth was close at all?

Also to mention, in this whole Aviator thing, I forgot to mention my favourite overall from that year, who wasn't even nominated. Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine. I can't really see how that wasn't equal to Leo.

Last edited by Freeza on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:00 pm

Freeza wrote:
Don't call me James wrote:I've only ever claimed he should have won for The Aviator and What's Eating Gilbert Grape. And those years it wasn't particularly close, he was robbed and it was a travesty.

He didn't win, it's irrelevant. Tommy Lee Jones won. I've seen The Fugitive a million times and that has to be one of the most undeserved wins. Specially when there was a performance of Leo's caliber nominated.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:01 pm

Don't call me James wrote:
Freeza wrote:

He didn't win, it's irrelevant. Tommy Lee Jones won. I've seen The Fugitive a million times and that has to be one of the most undeserved wins. Specially when there was a performance of Leo's caliber nominated.

That doesn't make any sense at all. If Ralph Fiennes was better, it isn't a travesty Leo didn't win, it's a travesty Ralph didn't win.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:03 pm

Freeza wrote:
Don't call me James wrote:
Freeza wrote:

That doesn't make any sense at all. If Ralph Fiennes was better, it isn't a travesty Leo didn't win, it's a travesty Ralph didn't win.

I didn't say Ralph's performance was better. I said he didn't *bleep* win. It's irrelevant. Tommy Lee Jones won over Leo. Not Fiennes.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:04 pm

You have some pretty exclusive views on what you consider lead and supporting then hmm
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:06 pm

El Gunner wrote:You have some pretty exclusive views on what you consider lead and supporting then hmm

I just don't consider someone with the most screen time and dialogue in movie a supporting character. It's a very weird choice overall when voting for acting.

@McAgger

You said it's a travesty he didn't win, which doesn't make sense if he's not clearly the best that year. So it is relevant.

I'd compare it to Ronaldo winning the Balon D'or this year.
It would clearly be the wrong winner. But is it a travesty for Neymar to not win, if Messi was the best overall?
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:09 pm

Its ok, he'll win it this time for sure
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:10 pm

Lol McAgger you're arguing shitty tbf. So what's stopping Freeza from saying Lee Jones won over Fiennes. You can't say it is irrelevant when it's performances from the same year that should be taken into account.

Btw I cant remember much from Schindler's List except the story in bits and Neeson's performance, but I defo need to rewatch. Many people consider that performance by Fiennes as one of his best of all time. As for Leo in Grape, he was absolutely tremendous and natural. That was so before his time. Basically did what Hoffman did in Rain Man at that young age if not more charming and slightly better
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:11 pm

ES wrote:Its ok, he'll win it this time for sure

Yeah, it's my guess also. There's really no hype behind anyone else.
I just hope it won't be Redmayne, atleast for The Danish Girl. If he wins for Jupiter Ascending I won't complain.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:16 pm

ES wrote:Its ok, he'll win it this time for sure
it is exactly this kinda talk I dislike. You are prepping yourself for Leo to win when no one as seen the performance yet, and when his performance is not the only variable.

And when at the end if Leo rightfully does not win there will be another crowd of people throwing up their hands in disgust and saying it is a travesty and in turn pissing people like Freeza off.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:39 pm

Did anyone post this yet? Liam Neeson in first image from Silence. Can't wait for this film, mymost anticipated for next year that's a non franchise or blockbuster.

The Movie House - Part 6 BgEv9FN
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:41 pm

I know the whole transgender/vestite thing has been in mainstream atm. With Leto not so long ago in Dallas Buyers Club, that transgender tv series getting lots of hype and critical praise. Not to mention the Caitlyn Jenner story of this year. So it's defo the it factor in Hollywood atm. So I understand why people might be afraid that influences like that will be considered if it comes to Redmayne getting recognition in Danish Girl.

But again I can't say this enough. Let's wait and see his performance first. And give him his fair chance and look at the movie through a clear glass.

Also maybe Hemsworth in Heart of Sea will also conjure up something Oscar worthy. There hasn't been much given away from that film, and its trailers have been teasing as pretty much as A Force Awakens. Not that the hype is anywhere near the same of course.

All am saying though let's just wait and see ffs before drawing conclusions!
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next