Who should replace Wenger if he leaves this summer?

+11
Neutropin
Jay29
M99
donttreadonred
Kaladin
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Firenze
zigra
Hapless_Hans
NeganIsco
BarcaLearning
15 posters

Go down

Who should replace Wenger if he leaves this summer? Empty Who should replace Wenger if he leaves this summer?

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:39 am

Its nothing new, and I've been saying it for years now, Wenger needs to go if Arsenal want to progress. This is not about all the arguments whether he should go or not, thats a whole other debate, but just personally I got a feeling he will leave, unless by some sort of miracle Arsenal end up winning one of the major trohpies this season Laughing

So who do u think should replace him if he does leave this summer? Its big shoes to fill non the less, a bit like Fergie at Man U obviously having been their so many years. Or is it not as a big task to replace him? At the end of the day, Arsenal isnt as 'big' as Man U and expectations perhaps are different? Or am I wrong? Would Arsenal fans who attractive football above progress like it has been? Or wouldnt mind a manager thats more pragmatic and results orientated?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Who should replace Wenger if he leaves this summer? Empty Re: Who should replace Wenger if he leaves this summer?

Post by NeganIsco Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:20 pm

That all depends !

If you want to keep similar style and philosophy and tactics, then Bielsa, Eusebio Sacristán , pellegrini would be great, and some may say, even an upgrade

If they actually want to finally Win, then Diego Simeone or Pellegrini or Bernd Schuster
NeganIsco
NeganIsco
Banned (Temporary)

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Who should replace Wenger if he leaves this summer? Empty Re: Who should replace Wenger if he leaves this summer?

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:25 pm

Every single name you write there except Simeone would be a huge downgrade. Bernd Schuster? Are you insane?

Wenger the most underrated manager in football at the moment.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:52 pm

De Boer, naturally.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:57 pm

Ranieri
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:58 pm

I actually think Roberto Martinez would be a good fit for Arsenal, bring him back to the PL, I know his Everton stint gave his reputation a dent but I still think he's a top coach
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:00 pm

He's awful Firenze, one of the biggest non-british manager frauds going.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:05 pm

Jardim
Jorge Jesus
Blanc
Mancini
Bielsa
Rodgers
Pippo
Paulo Sousa
Di Francesco
Lucien Favre
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:08 pm

Can't tell if you are posting non british frauds or possible replacements for Wenger hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:11 pm

BarcaLearning:
I've had the same gut feeling all season. It just feels like the natural conclusion for him, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps it is the relative contentedness that seems to surround the situation, the lack of news surrounding negotiations, or even the simple achievement of his 20 year milestone with the club... Whatever it is, I get the sense that he may be done at the end of this season, regardless of Arsenal's finish in the leagues and cups.

Given the stability and longevity they've just enjoyed with Wenger, I would imagine that age would be a deciding factor in his replacement. I think the club would look for someone younger, who could enjoy a prolonged stint at the club. 20 years is unrealistic in modern football, but I'd imagine the board would want some semblance of the stability/consistency that Wenger afforded them.

Age automatically eliminates Pellegrini (63) and Bielsa (61). Simeone (46), Allegri (49), and Tuchel (43) are names that come to mind immediately. Simeone would be a massive switch stylistically, but I'm not sure that wouldn't be welcomed to an extent. Allegri and Tuchel would be closer stylistically to Wenger. Of those two, Allegri is the more proven winner and likely easier to acquire. Tuchel, on the other hand, has an awful lot of potential. I personally think he could blossom into one of the pre-eminent young managers in the game. However, I think it would be difficult to convince him to leave Dortmund at this stage in his career and this stage of the project.

Another interesting name could be Luis Enrique (46). He's not been enjoying the best season at Barca, and I've seen some suggestion that Barca could/should look to improve upon him. Should he leave Barca, he could be a very interesting prospect for Arsenal.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Lool yet another sad showing by Arsenal, what a whipping and even from a neutrals POV its really pathetic, its just the same old. Wenger HAS TO GO.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:31 pm

Thx for all your opinions. Quite many possibilities it seems Smile

@donttreadonred You're probably right about the age, and one would imagine they prefer to keep their style similar instead of a drastic change. It will be to see if the board has the balls to take on someone who is completely new or try get someone in who sort of maintains things. I hope its the former instead of always seeing same Arsenal, unless of course someone can keep but improve upon the 'Wenger' style.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:41 pm

BarcaLearning wrote:Thx for all your opinions.

@donttreadonred You're probably right about the age, and one would imagine they prefer to keep their style similar instead of a drastic change. It will be to see if the board has the balls to take on someone who is completely new or try get someone in who sort of maintains things. I hope its the former instead of always seeing same Arsenal, unless of course someone can keep but improve upon the 'Wenger' style.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "improve". I would actually say that a bit more pragmatism could do wonders for the side. In my opinion a complete devotion to a Barca-style tiki-taka could prove detrimental in the more physical Premier League.

I think both Allegri and Tuchel would bring that... Not sure about Enrique.

Also, to the person that suggested Rodgers... rofl Thumbs up :bow:
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:42 pm

Pippo.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:04 pm

I've had the same gut feeling all season. It just feels like the natural conclusion for him, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps it is the relative contentedness that seems to surround the situation, the lack of news surrounding negotiations, or even the simple achievement of his 20 year milestone with the club... Whatever it is, I get the sense that he may be done at the end of this season, regardless of Arsenal's finish in the leagues and cups.

This was actually the feeling most had in 2014. Wenger's contract was in its final year, there was no news of negotiations, our title challenge faded after Christmas (it was the year we lost 5-1, 6-3 and 6-0 to Pool, City and Chelsea respectively) and the whole season basically hinged on the FA Cup final. The feeling back then was that had we not won the cup, Wenger would have walked. The comeback against Hull and winning a trophy convinced him to stay on.

It's very similar now. His contract is in its final year, there's not a lot of news about negotiations (apart from rumours a two-year extension is on the table), our title challenge is over after Christmas (never got started, if we're being honest), and success this depends on the Champions League and FA Cup.

Something tells me he'll extend because he doesn't think we're far away and just won't give up. But a part of me believes that he's done everything he can do now and it still hasn't work, and he's always said that the moment he feels he can't take the team forward anymore is the moment he stops. So we'll see.

As for replacements, I'm not that fussed about playing attractive football. We haven't done that for a while and our football will look good if we have good structure anyway. It surely has to be someone who can get the squad motivated and pays more attention to detail. Allegri I'd 100% take. I like Sampaoli and Jardim as well.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutropin Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:08 pm

They shouldve done it last summer and replaced him with Klopp but their board is too dumb to do anything helpful so now they will get stuck with a random nobody
Neutropin
Neutropin
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Klopp, he can do so much better than Liverpool.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:16 pm

I don't how many follow him so it might be seen as a joke, but I would go for Paulo Sousa at Arsenal.

I would chose him to replace Allegri at Juve too. His contract runs out this summer, and his style is pretty similar to Wenger in his best days.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by S Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:18 pm

rincon wrote:I don't how many follow him so it might be seen as a joke, but I would go for Paulo Sousa at Arsenal.

I would chose him to replace Allegri at Juve too. His contract runs out this summer, and his style is pretty similar to Wenger in his best days.

I would place a bet on Allegri managing Arsenal next season and Sousa managing Juve.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:18 pm

Allegri2017 cheers

Who should replace Wenger if he leaves this summer? Allegri

The SerieAlization of the Premier League has started, we will continue it Proud

Last edited by urbaNRoots on Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:22 pm

S wrote:
rincon wrote:I don't how many follow him so it might be seen as a joke, but I would go for Paulo Sousa at Arsenal.

I would place a bet on Allegri managing Arsenal next season and Sousa managing Juve.

Sounds likely. Probably 1 strike from Allegri and Sousa will replace him.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down