Myesyats
Thimmy
Warrior
huntsman
12 posters

Go down

The Greatest  Empty The Greatest

Post by huntsman Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:07 pm

The video below; Is that the reason why all you guys consider Maradona better than Messi?
If passing skills are just a single judging criteria, why do you guys keep saying that Maradona is better than Messi and that he's the greatest ever player to have ever lived?

A bit hypocritical, if you ask me.

huntsman
huntsman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

The Greatest  Empty Re: The Greatest

Post by Warrior Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:21 pm

Messi is the best player ever

When he retires people will realize that
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:12 pm

I've never objectively claimed that someone is the best, ever. But if I did, I wouldn't be referencing a Youtube video to back up my claim Laughing
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:54 pm

How can we judge Maradona otherwise then? There's not much footage available of him playing I would guess.... Even if there was, who would be stupid enough to watch all of that boring BS?
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:23 pm

That was some magical crossing tho
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Let's face it. There's no clear criteria for judging who the best player actually is. Some use goals, some use talent, some use trophies, some use the world cup, some use individual awards, some use consistency, some even use loyalty (stupidly) as a criterion. Person X could say Cruyff is the GOAT, person Y could say Maradona, person Z could say Ronaldo lima, person A could say Messi, person B could say Pele, and person C could say Di stefano and they all would be true to different people.

This is always so because football in itself transcends logic, or maths and goes into a realm of emotion, feel and pleasure, and like we all know, pleasure could either mean goals, talent, trophies, the world cup, loyalty or individual awards (to different people).

If I were to use plain Logic, I would say the GOAT was Pele, Messi, Maradona and Cruyff (in that order) but you see, I (like most people too) don't actually watch or understand football that way, as my most memorable moments have come from how I felt, the emotions, and sentiments..

Take for instance, that despite the fact that Messi might have been logically better, I feel better and more satisfied watching the Original Ronaldo or say Ronaldinho, or a Neymar, than Messi. Infact, when I watch Messi, I actually catch myself yawning various times to the point of feeling sleepy almost 100% of the time.

So as a consequence, if you ask a fellow like me who the GOAT is, I'd probably be inclined to rate Ronaldo lima, Maradona, Pele, or Cruyff higher than messi, not because they're/were irrefutably better, but because they've brought the most joy I ever felt while watching the beautiful game and that in itself, ultimately matters the most to me.

Its the same reason people deeply hate Mourinho, despite him being a winner (because of his ugly football) and adore/worship guys like Cruyff or guadiolar, irrespective of whether they win trophies or not, as long as they play beautiful football and any would be true depending on who you ask. (Sorry for the long post)
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:08 pm

I respectfully disagree with Bankz. I don't think the reason people have differents GOATs is because there are no clear criteria. We could find a common ground and a clear formula if we wanted to.

No, the reason, in my humble opinion, is because most people are quite self-absorbed and believe that only their era matters, completely disregarding the olden days of football.

But I have always said in order to be qualified to pick "the greatest player of all-time", you'd have to be an unbiased centenarian. You'd have to be old enough, fair enough, wise enough and knowledgeable enough to make such a complex selection with pinpoint accuracy.

The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:09 pm

Thimmy wrote:I've never objectively claimed that someone is the best, ever. But if I did, I wouldn't be referencing a Youtube video to back up my claim Laughing

Not even if it's one about unreal passing skills? hmm
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:54 pm

@demon..
"But I have always said in order to be qualified to pick "the greatest player of all-time", you'd have to be an unbiased centenarian. You'd have to be old enough, fair enough, wise enough and knowledgeable enough to make such a complex selection with pinpoint accuracy."

And this said person will probably not need to exist too? hmm
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:31 pm

Yawn, this was relevant discussion like four years ago.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:57 pm

Bankz wrote:And this said person will probably not need to exist too? hmm

lol you get what I mean though. Somebody has to live through all those eras in order to make a fair decision.

Like for instance, in my lifetime, one of the most technical players I have ever seen play is prime Ronaldinho. The guy was unplayable. But I can't say he's the most technical player in history because I haven't seen all history. And somebody older than me may very well have a better, broader and more accurate understanding.

Yes, Ronaldinho is definitely in my top 3 of the most technical players of my lifetime. But somebody older than me might choose Zico, Garrincha or someone else as the most technical of their lifetime. And chances are, they are closer to the truth than I am because their knowledge covers both my lifetime and theirs.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:45 pm

It's still between Pele and Maradona. They are at a level higher than the others. Even considering that defenders could employ WWF tactics against them.
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:50 pm

How harmonica has not responded with an army of video evidence and gifs to agree with uou I don't know.

My body is ready Laughing
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:19 am

The Demon of Carthage wrote:most people are quite self-absorbed and believe that only their era matters, completely disregarding the olden days of football.

This. People don't care about the things they don't know about. It's far more convenient to pick someone they like, who's performances are still fresh in their memory.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by huntsman Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:17 am

Okay, after more research I came across this footage which I've never seen before. Now I know why he is considered by the majority as the best. His footballing IQ is the highest I have ever seen; a 180 plus and possibly 200; a true genius.  

Football may have been slower back in those days, this is why it is important to compare apples to apples when it comes to who is the greatest.

Unbelievable. I am really impressed.

huntsman
huntsman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:43 am

"The 28-year-old faced stiff competition from legends of the game but ultimately won with 53,904 people backing the Barcelona forward - a whopping 52 per cent of the 103,611 votes cast."
The Greatest  4BuhvIw

Young people = Cronaldo 2nd best
Middle aged people = Maradona 2nd best
Old people = Pele 2nd best
All age groups = Messi clearly the best

There you can actually see the "my time was better"-argument, however even that doesn't really matter anymore as it's so obvious.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:52 am

Messi's ball control is much better than Maradona's imo, he keeps the ball much closer to his feet
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by huntsman Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:24 pm

Harmonica wrote:"The 28-year-old faced stiff competition from legends of the game but ultimately won with 53,904 people backing the Barcelona forward - a whopping 52 per cent of the 103,611 votes cast."
Young people = Cronaldo 2nd best
Middle aged people = Maradona 2nd best
Old people = Pele 2nd best
All age groups = Messi clearly the best

Valkyrja wrote:Messi's ball control is much better than Maradona's imo, he keeps the ball much closer to his feet

There you can actually see the "my time was better"-argument, however even that doesn't really matter anymore as it's so obvious.

So you guys root for Messi to be the best?

From the footage which I ve seen just a while back, I think Maradona is better by far. What he does with the ball is something Messi couldnt replicate until now.

But maybe we could agree that Messi at Barcelona is better than Maradona at Barcelona was. Not sure this holds any truth until I see more footage but I think Messi wins this.
huntsman
huntsman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by huntsman Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:29 pm

Also watch the vid and try to deconstruct what goes in the mind of Maro at every inflection point which precedes every move he makes.

The answer is within.

Pure genius.
huntsman
huntsman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down