RealGunner
39 posters

Page 17 of 24 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20 ... 24  Next

Go down

General UK politics - Page 17 Empty Re: General UK politics

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:38 am

SNP won 55 out of 59 seats available

2nd IndyRef when?

Last edited by BarrileteCosmico on Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total

BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:39 am

Unique wrote:The pound has surged after a closely-watched exit poll predicted the Conservatives had secured a majority in the general election.

Sterling bounced from $1.3162 to beyond $1.34 - a gain of more than 2% - after the Ipsos Mori survey for Sky News, the BBC and ITV News was published.

"surged" and 2% don't go together
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:42 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Unique wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:RIP UK

GG Boris

Wishing all our UK GLers the best, stay safe
why do you think this is a bad thing for the UK.
because now Brexit will almost certainly happen, leading to the break-up of the UK, loss of quality of life and rights for British (and Europeans to a lesser degree), and a more divided world in general.

Better get in line for an Irish passport if you can...
corbyn was a supporter of a united ireland and was happy for a scotish independence boris is against this so who really wanted to break up the UK.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:43 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:SNP won 55 out of 59 seats available

2nd IndyRef when?
boris says no. but scotland are a drain on the UK so i aint bothered if they leave.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:54 am

as soon as we are out of the EU we will save masses of money. that money can be spent on our health care thats much needed. then we have a end to free movement of people. that means we can spend money on training british people to build more homes for british people instead of using people from the EU to build homes to be filled with people coming from the EU. so we can make jobs for british people and homes for british people and any government should be doing that. the points system that boris will use means the people we take in from all over the world will be good for the country and not a drain on it. for every doctor that comes to this country from the EU we get 50 bums that just leach our benifits and take money and homes that people in britain despratly need. i mean what kind of idiot does it take to give homes to immigrants when you have homeless people of our own.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:55 am

anyway its not done yet corbyn might just win it
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:58 am

Unique wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Unique wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:RIP UK

GG Boris

Wishing all our UK GLers the best, stay safe
why do you think this is a bad thing for the UK.
because now Brexit will almost certainly happen, leading to the break-up of the UK, loss of quality of life and rights for British (and Europeans to a lesser degree), and a more divided world in general.

corbyn was a supporter of a united ireland and was happy for a scotish independence boris is against this so who really wanted to break up the UK.

Who cares what Corbyn thinks? A hard brexit = a Scotland exit. It's that simple. And Boris winning by a landslide = a hard brexit as it looks like he now has a democratic mandate for it.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:01 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Unique wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:

Who cares what Corbyn thinks? A hard brexit = a Scotland exit. It's that simple. And Boris winning by a landslide = a hard brexit as it looks like he now has a democratic mandate for it.
it wont be a hard brexit if boris wins. we will leave the EU with the deal boris has negotiated. boris has also said we will not get a 2nd scotish referendum
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:03 am

Full disclosure: I voted Labour.

My take on the disappointing exit poll results is that its reflective of the mistrust for Corbyn that has been exploited multiple times by the media. Corbyn was portrayed as someone who could do no right whereas Johnson could do no wrong. And I feel like some voters probably don't look beyond the candidate and at the actual policies.

Uneven coverage has been a significant problem since the Brexit referendum, in my eyes. There was a recent report on how over 80% of the Conservative's advertising on social media was found to be inaccurate or misleading, whereas Labour had so little it wasn't worth mentioning. How did the BBC cover this story? With a headline implicating all parties, on a story buried in their tech section. In reality, this should be a big news story.

Labour have failed to challenge this, and Corbyn's tendency to try and take the high road has unfortunately made him look weaker.

The other factor is Brexit. Rightly or wrongly, the Conservatives have been consistent in their message that they will get Brexit done, which is more appealing to voters than Labour's stance, which has been ill-defined for some time. Conservative is what you vote if you want Brexit. Those of us who want to remain in the EU are split between Labour (who aren't even challenging Brexit) or the Lib Dems (who aren't large enough to oust the Conservatives). Labour missed a huge chance to bring people who wanted to Remain onto their side.

Frankly, I wouldn't have voted Labour had there been a better alternative. My real concern is getting the Conservatives out of power, because under their government and policy of austerity, we've seen a rise in poverty and crime and a decline in vital public services. All the while, they've been pointing fingers at everything but the widening wealth gap - a gap so vast a guy on Question Time earning over £80k a year doesn't even think he's in the top 5% of earners.

I dunno man, everything just looks a bit shit from where I'm sitting.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:17 am

Unique wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Unique wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:

it wont be a hard brexit if boris wins. we will leave the EU with the deal boris has negotiated. boris has also said we will not get a 2nd scotish referendum

I hope you're right about a hard brexit

do you think it's right of Boris to deny Scotland an indyref if they request it?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:18 am

Jay29 wrote:Full disclosure: I voted Labour.

My take on the disappointing exit poll results is that its reflective of the mistrust for Corbyn that has been exploited multiple times by the media. Corbyn was portrayed as someone who could do no right whereas Johnson could do no wrong. And I feel like some voters probably don't look beyond the candidate and at the actual policies.

Uneven coverage has been a significant problem since the Brexit referendum, in my eyes. There was a recent report on how over 80% of the Conservative's advertising on social media was found to be inaccurate or misleading, whereas Labour had so little it wasn't worth mentioning. How did the BBC cover this story? With a headline implicating all parties, on a story buried in their tech section. In reality, this should be a big news story.

Labour have failed to challenge this, and Corbyn's tendency to try and take the high road has unfortunately made him look weaker.

The other factor is Brexit. Rightly or wrongly, the Conservatives have been consistent in their message that they will get Brexit done, which is more appealing to voters than Labour's stance, which has been ill-defined for some time. Conservative is what you vote if you want Brexit. Those of us who want to remain in the EU are split between Labour (who aren't even challenging Brexit) or the Lib Dems (who aren't large enough to oust the Conservatives). Labour missed a huge chance to bring people who wanted to Remain onto their side.

Frankly, I wouldn't have voted Labour had there been a better alternative. My real concern is getting the Conservatives out of power, because under their government and policy of austerity, we've seen a rise in poverty and crime and a decline in vital public services. All the while, they've been pointing fingers at everything but the widening wealth gap - a gap so vast a guy on Question Time earning over £80k a year doesn't even think he's in the top 5% of earners.

I dunno man, everything just looks a bit shit from where I'm sitting.
most of the crime we see now is done by young people that have no jobs and are taking drugs or selling drugs that leads to violent crimes. if we start spending money to train young people to get jobs in things like construction ( where most of the people coming from the EU seem to take ) we can cut down on crime. brexit does 2 things that help us. 1 it will save us crazy amounts of money and 2 it will stop the free movement of people. you have to invest in training and jobs for young people to get them off the streets commiting crime. its simple maths that tell you if the young people of britain has to compete with the whole of europe for homes and jobs then you will get problems. we have a shortage of homes jobs and health care in this country and i would love to see anyone tell me how free movment of people from the EU can not make them problems worst

Last edited by Unique on Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:21 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Unique wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:

I hope you're right about a hard brexit

do you think it's right of Boris to deny Scotland an indyref if they request it?
tbh i dont care if scotland leave the UK. its a known fact they take more than they give. but if they leave the UK and then come begging for money because they cant sustain independence than i would tell them to fuck off.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:31 am

tbh i want boris to win but it dont matter that much to me because i will just do what i have always done and that is look after my family myself. but a boris win will help lots of young people in this country. we will see how it goes.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:56 am

Unique wrote:most of the crime we see now is done by young people that have no jobs and are taking drugs or selling drugs that leads to violent crimes. if we start spending money to train young people to get jobs in things like construction ( where most of the people coming from the EU seem to take ) we can cut down on crime. brexit does 2 things that help us. 1 it will save us crazy amounts of money and 2 it will stop the free movement of people. you have to invest in training and jobs for young people to get them off the streets commiting crime. its simple maths that tell you if the young people of britain has to compete with the whole of europe for homes and jobs then you will get problems. we have a shortage of homes jobs and health care in this country and i would love to see anyone tell me how free movment of people from the EU can not make them problems worst

Brexit is going to happen whether I like it or not, but I will say this: the problem I have with this argument is the assumption people from the EU are taking jobs away from people born and living in the UK just by turning up. An employer offers the same rate regardless of where the candidate comes from, and should be employing based on who presents themselves as the most attractive candidate and what they can offer (if anything, unconscious bias of employers should favour UK nationals, but that's a whole other discussion). If the people from the EU are beating out those living in the UK, I have my doubts that it's because they're from the EU. It's more likely because they have better skills and experience.

Meanwhile, there are various other reasons why young people end up jobless and on the streets. One is poverty. Another is poor education. Both go hand-in-hand. These kids can't get jobs because they have poor skills. They have poor skills because they did poorly at school, lacked a good support system, and didn't get the chance to do higher education or go to a vocational school. This stems from under-investment in the country's education. One possible reason for that is the money going to the EU, sure. But equally, I could point out the increasing number of billionaires and corporations not paying tax and hoarding wealth.

Stopping free movement does not solve the root cause of the problem. Employers are still not going to hire candidates who lack the skills and experiences to do the job. To say nothing of the internal competition that's now being caused by companies pulling out of the UK thanks to Brexit; tens of thousands of people now jobless due to companies closing down or outsourcing their work because it's cheaper. I'm fortunate enough to work for a university, who aren't about to be pulling out of the UK anytime soon, so my job is fine. But if I was working for a private company, I'd be concerned about my future, and having fewer EU nationals would be scant consolation when I'd just be up against more domestic competition instead.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:18 am

but my point is its easy and cheaper to bring in workers from the EU than it is to train british people to do the jobs. you are right in saying the EU workers are more experience and have better skills than our young people but thats the thing we need to change. construction will be a big thing in the UK now because we have a shortage of housing and it just so happens that construction is a skill that most young people can do. lets face it most kids leaving school in most places will not go on to be a doctor or a lawyer. but construction is something most young kids can get into. but briniging people from the EU to build homes to house people from the EU will not help. its a fact that most of the people comming from the EU take the jobs that are from a low education pool.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:09 am

Sorry to hear about it, UK folk.

I remember a similar feeling after the 2016 election. A lot of disappointment and anger, really.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:23 am

CBarca wrote:Sorry to hear about it, UK folk.

I remember a similar feeling after the 2016 election. A lot of disappointment and anger, really.
do you even know what you are sorry about
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:52 am

I kind of get not wanting to vote for Labour.
But WTF is wrong with the Tories supporting Johnson, of all people.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:58 am

this is the end for the traitor. this is like winning the champions lge all over again cheers
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:03 am

General UK politics - Page 17 Wise10
to my fellow brits Laughing
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:40 pm

Turned out to be a massacre. Most one sided victory you will see. In fact looking at the results I think only RG and frenzy voted for Corbyn and frenzy just wanted free internet. People saw Corbyn for the snake he is and he doesn't even have decency to step down. I'm just happy that traitor is gone tbh.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:57 pm

headline in the Spiegel

"the geese voted for christmas"

this is really, really dragging me down
fucking depressing
not sure how much more of this shit I can't take

I didn't think it would be so bad when I was growing up
thought things were only going to get better, slowly maybe, but better

instead this is escalating quickly
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:12 pm

Jay29 wrote:
Unique wrote:most of the crime we see now is done by young people that have no jobs and are taking drugs or selling drugs that leads to violent crimes. if we start spending money to train young people to get jobs in things like construction ( where most of the people coming from the EU seem to take ) we can cut down on crime. brexit does 2 things that help us. 1 it will save us crazy amounts of money and 2 it will stop the free movement of people. you have to invest in training and jobs for young people to get them off the streets commiting crime. its simple maths that tell you if the young people of britain has to compete with the whole of europe for homes and jobs then you will get problems. we have a shortage of homes jobs and health care in this country and i would love to see anyone tell me how free movment of people from the EU can not make them problems worst

Brexit is going to happen whether I like it or not, but I will say this: the problem I have with this argument is the assumption people from the EU are taking jobs away from people born and living in the UK just by turning up. An employer offers the same rate regardless of where the candidate comes from, and should be employing based on who presents themselves as the most attractive candidate and what they can offer (if anything, unconscious bias of employers should favour UK nationals, but that's a whole other discussion). If the people from the EU are beating out those living in the UK, I have my doubts that it's because they're from the EU. It's more likely because they have better skills and experience.

Meanwhile, there are various other reasons why young people end up jobless and on the streets. One is poverty. Another is poor education. Both go hand-in-hand. These kids can't get jobs because they have poor skills. They have poor skills because they did poorly at school, lacked a good support system, and didn't get the chance to do higher education or go to a vocational school. This stems from under-investment in the country's education. One possible reason for that is the money going to the EU, sure. But equally, I could point out the increasing number of billionaires and corporations not paying tax and hoarding wealth.

Stopping free movement does not solve the root cause of the problem. Employers are still not going to hire candidates who lack the skills and experiences to do the job. To say nothing of the internal competition that's now being caused by companies pulling out of the UK thanks to Brexit; tens of thousands of people now jobless due to companies closing down or outsourcing their work because it's cheaper. I'm fortunate enough to work for a university, who aren't about to be pulling out of the UK anytime soon, so my job is fine. But if I was working for a private company, I'd be concerned about my future, and having fewer EU nationals would be scant consolation when I'd just be up against more domestic competition instead.

Thanks for this great post, I'm really out of the loop and this covers a lot of ground. Also, I agree with Jay.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:headline in the Spiegel

"the geese voted for christmas"

this is really, really dragging me down
fucking depressing
not sure how much more of this shit I can't take

I didn't think it would be so bad when I was growing up
thought things were only going to get better, slowly maybe, but better

instead this is escalating quickly
meh. The Germans are just upset because they will have to give more money to the EU now we are leaving.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:17 pm

So it's No Deal Brexit then!!!
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite