Lucifer
Jay29
McAgger
RealGunner
Casciavit
30 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Sevilla Watch: Vincenzo Montella Edition  Empty Sevilla Watch: Vincenzo Montella Edition

Post by Casciavit Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Sevilla Watch: Vincenzo Montella Edition  645425d1405932384-cut-out-faces-blackmagic10-jorgesampaoli

This beautiful hipster joined Sevilla earlier this summer, and boy oh boy is he building quite the team. ( ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ)

But before we get to that, even though he isn't unknown, an introduction is needed:

He's a Bielsa disciple, so he preaches attacking football, high aggressive pressing, verticality and positional play. Not only that but his assistant coach, Juan Manuel Lillo, is the father of positional play and is Pep Guardiola's biggest coaching influence. Jorge Sampaoli was Chile's former coach and he added more control and pragmatism to their game (compared to Bielsa) and he ended up leading them to a Copa America victory, and an impressive 2014 WC, in which they were knocked out in the R16 on penalties, against Brazil.

All the tactical hipster nerds love him, and for good reason:

- Sevilla additions: Franco Vasquez, Joaquin Correa, Ganso, Ben Yedder, Kiyotake, Pablo Sarabia, Luciano Vietto, and Matias Kranevittar.

- He's stacking up on creative, and technically excellent attacking players.

- He's been playing 3-2-4-1 in preseason.

- He plans on converting Ganso to a regista, à la Pirlo.

Sevilla Watch: Vincenzo Montella Edition  7NQLK0j

Some of his Sevilla Watch: Vincenzo Montella Edition  777717d1405779838-manchester-united-f-c-content -cal quotes are:

"You pick players to attack, you form them to defend."

"The idea is to come to any place and play the same way. We can win or lose, but the idea is not negotiated.

"One night, I went to a bar, I was with a woman. We talked all night. We laughed, we flirted, I paid for several drinks of hers.

At around 5am, a guy came in, grabbed her by the arm and took her to the bathroom. He made love to her and she left with him. That doesn't matter because I had most of the possession on that night."

If Leverkusen was the hipster team in 2014-2015, and BVB was the hipster team in 2015-2016, then Sevilla is the hipster team of 2016-2017.

Sevilla Watch: Vincenzo Montella Edition  Seleccionador

In Sampaoli, we trust. Molenation

Prediction: Sevilla will make it to the quarters in the CL, and will finish top 4 in La Liga.

inb4 he gets fired in the middle of the season and sevilla are knocked out from the group stages

Spoiler:
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Sevilla Watch: Vincenzo Montella Edition  Empty Re: Sevilla Watch: Vincenzo Montella Edition

Post by RealGunner Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:36 pm

Might as well make them my la liga team for next season

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Sevilla Watch: Vincenzo Montella Edition  Empty Re: Sevilla Watch: Vincenzo Montella Edition

Post by McAgger Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:28 am

Vietto's upside is much higher than Gameiro, though at the moment Gameiro is slightly better. I think in the long run Sevilla got the better deal here.

Franco Vazquez and Ganso are really good signings. Easy replacements for Banega (who for whtever reason played as a defensive AM Laughing ) Emery's tactics were too defensive.

Konoplynaka will finally be able to flourish properly under Sampaoli as well.

The real huge miss is Krychowiak. I don't really know how good Krenevitter is. Definitely doubt he's anywhere close to Krychowiak level.

Sarabia amazing replacement for Reyes.

Definitely looking forward to this Sevilla more so than the Emery one.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:50 am

Watching them yesterday when they played 3-2-4-1 and they dominated the ball but looked unsurprisingly short at the back when they were countered. The right and left centre backs were coming up to overlap the RW and LW ffs Laughing

They played 4-2-3-1 in their other three friendlies, and I think that'll be the one they'll use most often. The team is already pressing high, and signs are they'll be less direct than Sampaoli's Chile team and keep the ball for longer. They can't really play any other way having stacked up on wingers and AMs.

Seeing a new team every season is part of following the club, but this transition is the most interesting and exciting. Sampaoli's approach is completely different to Emery's and the club captain, it's best DM, playmaker and striker have all been sold. Where Emery would stock up on DMs, Sampaoli asked for more creators. Even after they signed Ganso, Vazquez, Sarabia, Kiyotake and Correa he was asking for Dani Parejo from Valencia.

They play Granada on Tuesday. Maybe they'll set-up like:

Rico

Mariano - Carrico - Kolo

Kranevitter - Ganso

Vitolo - Vazquez - Sarabia - Konoplyanka

Vietto

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:47 am

Which Kolo is this?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:00 pm

Timothee Kolodziejzczak. Or something like that.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:11 pm

Kolo it is Laughing

I see he was born in france to polish dad. About time he gets called up to Poland
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:19 pm

Nice OP Cas. BTW now am worried about Supercopa Espana.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:52 pm

Why did Atleti give them both Vietto and Kranevitter?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:39 pm

Atleti and Sevilla share a good relationship. Both equally dislike Madrid and Barca.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:45 pm

Vietto was out of favour at Atleti and was part of the Gameiro deal. Kranevitter's just a normal loan deal.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:16 pm

Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:59 pm

Ben Yedder rejected Arsenal for Sevilla rofl

How many L's can one club take ffs
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:16 am

Don't call me James wrote:The real huge miss is Krychowiak. I don't really know how good Krenevitter is. Definitely doubt he's anywhere close to Krychowiak level.
He will barely be missed, Krane is a gem
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:04 pm

I'm quite looking forward to watching this Sevilla team, to be honest.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:05 pm

Sevilla playing Granada tonight. Back to boring old four at the back:

Rico; Mariano, Carrico, Pareja, Escudero; Kranevitter, N'Zonzi; Sarabia, Vazquez, Konoplyanka; Vietto

Could well be the team that plays Madrid in the Super Cup next week.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:13 pm

Should be an interesting game. Paco Jemez has a similar playing philosophy to Sampaoli.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:25 am

Sevilla to sign Gabriel 'No Neck'/'Turtle' Mercado
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:43 pm

The arrangement there suggests three at the back, but I think it'll be a 4-2-3-1.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:24 am

I think this is the best Sevilla team i have seen since the Kanoute/Fabiano days. Really well structured and pressing was in sync. At times i thought they overdid it with passes between gk and defenders which allowed us to intercept the ball in their half. Expecting them to challenge Atleti for third spot this season if they keep playing like this. Really impressed

Why didn't Sarabia start btw? He didn't even make an appearance weirdly
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:19 am

I agree hala. I think they have the weight to make waves in national competitions and maybe even a run at CL.

Sampaoli was a great selection for Sevilla imo

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by zenmaster Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:45 am

Very interesting. cheers

Lets see how Sevilla does this season.
zenmaster
zenmaster
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:36 pm

Wins 6-4 in his debut la liga match Cool
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:57 am

Sevilla Watch: Vincenzo Montella Edition  AbLLzw0acR

So in the four competitive games played so far there's been a different team and slightly different formation. Last night's team was weird because Vitolo wasn't playing as a midfield, but as a wing back. I don't know if injuries have forced Sampaoli's hand (Escudero, Rami, Carrico, Kolodziejzcak all out) but it's telling that he'd rather a winger play out of position than play a centre back there (young Diego Gonzalez was on the bench).

They made heaps of chances but predictably there was a lack of cover during transitions and a high number of turnovers in midfield that put a lot of pressure on the back two and N'Zonzi. N'Zonzi basically had to be perfect to prevent any counters.

It's something he has to sort otherwise this project won't last long.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:24 am

bump

Ended Madrid's unbeaten streak :bow:
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next